Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Detective Thompson posted:

Are there any good portable record players out there around $100? Crosleys don't have the rep, unless some are okay. My sister wants a player and she just doesn't want to buy a receiver/speaker setup, so she's looking for one with built-in speakers.

Get her an Audio Technica Sound Burger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

EL BROMANCE posted:

All Crosleys are garbage and I'm not aware of any player with a built in amp/speaker that isn't total poo poo either, sorry. I'd say go vintage, but if she's dead set against an amp/speakers setup I'd say pick a different format entirely.
what this guy said

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Death Waltz posted:

On sale August 10, 2016.
In store Sept 9, 2016.
Full package / cover reveal August 9, 2016.
https://www.welcometotwinpeaks.com
:getin:

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
That gum I like!

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The website is a crashed mess.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Allen Wren posted:

The website is a crashed mess.

Firefox won't even allow it to load because it's "improperly configured" but I'll assume it's the Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack on vinyl. :shrug:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

King Vidiot posted:

Firefox won't even allow it to load because it's "improperly configured" but I'll assume it's the Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack on vinyl. :shrug:

That's what I assumed, too, I just figured I'd see if there were any details on the site, price, etc.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
They said these would never come, but I never doubted Jim

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

This just dropped... The cassette edition sold out in five minutes, I imagine the vinyl won't last long either.

https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/rain-temple

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

super nailgun posted:

This just dropped... The cassette edition sold out in five minutes, I imagine the vinyl won't last long either.

https://dreamcatalogue.bandcamp.com/album/rain-temple

I'm on board, drat. I'm one track in and I'm loving the sound.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah bought too. Nice that shipping was no worse for the US than the UK, or I would've picked it up next time I went home. How much were the tapes out of curiosity?

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Is this the tape thread now? :) I bought a tape deck last weekend.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There seems to be enough micro scene releases to warrant a tape thread to be honest. It's the format the punk kids and the weird electro kids all agree on (now nobody can get vinyl pressed because of major labels!)

I might make one later if I can get a bit of time to myself this evening. It'll have a picture of a Nakamichi Dragon in it and everything.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Boinks posted:

Is this the tape thread now? :) I bought a tape deck last weekend.

I'm just waiting on the 8-track thread. I have a release of Sweet Baby James on a canary yellow and Jethro Tull on blue.

stay depressed
Sep 30, 2003

by zen death robot
just post about tapes here, the last one fell off and was archived almost immediately

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
i have 1 tape but have no way to listen to it

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

How are tapes cool again? I hated them when they were all we had because CDs were too expensive.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

there used to be a tape distro called bbp tapes hosted on a website called cop car pileup so you can imagine how cool it must have been.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That reminds me, I just went digging on discogs and apparently the sound on the most recent pressing of CSC's Ask Questions Later isn't all that good. It's a pretty thin-sounding record on the whole as memory serves, but I was just wondering if anyone here had it/had experience with that pressing?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I'm just waiting on the 8-track thread.

Impossible because there isn't a single working 8-track player out there. Someone needs to kickstart one!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Minto Took posted:

How are tapes cool again? I hated them when they were all we had because CDs were too expensive.

It's a cheap method for the cool indie hipster kids and cookie monster metal bands who want a physical release but can't afford an LP.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tapes have been used continuously in some music scenes since the 80s, and they're still very good for DIY type stuff, limited runs of niche material, etc. Claiming that they're just used by 'hipsters' makes you look even stupider than you already do.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

A human heart posted:

Tapes have been used continuously in some music scenes since the 80s, and they're still very good for DIY type stuff, limited runs of niche material, etc. Claiming that they're just used by 'hipsters' makes you look even stupider than you already do.

Thank you, I was unaware that people used cassette tapes in the era when cassette tapes were an extremely common method of buying and/or recording music. The point I was making is that they're basically a novelty now because of the various digital methods of distributing music, especially since the sound quality of a cassette tape is utter garbage.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

CPL593H posted:

The sound quality of a cassette tape is utter garbage.

Not really.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

CPL593H posted:

Thank you, I was unaware that people used cassette tapes in the era when cassette tapes were an extremely common method of buying and/or recording music. The point I was making is that they're basically a novelty now because of the various digital methods of distributing music, especially since the sound quality of a cassette tape is utter garbage.

Cassettes sound fine and tape hiss improves the sound of most of the music that is usually distributed on tape anyway, like punk, noise, metal, etc.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I just don't see any practical reason to gently caress around with cassettes when you could spit out a few dozen CD-Rs in a fraction of the time or just post the poo poo on a bandcamp page or something. I've heard tapes. I used them heavily for the first half of my life. They suck. The only reason I could imagine people putting out tapes is because it's a nostalgia thing. LPs have the benefit of superior sound quality (assuming you have a decent stereo and the disc itself was mastered well). Tapes are just a pain in the rear end.

A human heart posted:

Cassettes sound fine and tape hiss improves the sound of most of the music that is usually distributed on tape anyway, like punk, noise, metal, etc.

See that's the thing. I hate tape hiss. I can deal with it if I'm listening to bootleg of something super rare, but if it can be avoided than it should be.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 26, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

CPL593H posted:

..the sound quality of a cassette tape is utter garbage.

Tons are no doubt, but this is a pretty enjoyable watch about the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

You have to remember that small scenes never gave up on vinyl, I was buying a decent amount of 7"s at punk gigs in the late 90s and any music popular with DJs never gave up. But now it's so popular, there's no way for unsigned bands to press because of the limited ability and nobody is seeing this as a long term thing that it's worthwhile to start building fresh plants.

So it kind of makes sense that they're going another way. CD feels passé, and despite being a technically great way of holding music it doesn't have much personality. If I'm gonna go digital, I just want MP3/AAC. Tapes are easily dubbed at home, they're cheap and they fit the lo-fi sound and aesthetic that a lot of acts wants.

At the end of the day, they're utterly harmless and it's the same people who were putting out 7s only a few years ago. I have maybe 2 or 3 modern tapes, but they're kinda fun.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

EL BROMANCE posted:

Tons are no doubt, but this is a pretty enjoyable watch about the subject

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVoSQP2yUYA

You have to remember that small scenes never gave up on vinyl, I was buying a decent amount of 7"s at punk gigs in the late 90s and any music popular with DJs never gave up. But now it's so popular, there's no way for unsigned bands to press because of the limited ability and nobody is seeing this as a long term thing that it's worthwhile to start building fresh plants.

So it kind of makes sense that they're going another way. CD feels passé, and despite being a technically great way of holding music it doesn't have much personality. If I'm gonna go digital, I just want MP3/AAC. Tapes are easily dubbed at home, they're cheap and they fit the lo-fi sound and aesthetic that a lot of acts wants.

At the end of the day, they're utterly harmless and it's the same people who were putting out 7s only a few years ago. I have maybe 2 or 3 modern tapes, but they're kinda fun.

All this is exactly what I was saying.

edit: Also, thanks for posting that interesting and informative video instead of being a condescending dickweed and calling me stupid.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 26, 2016

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

His channel is well worth subscribing to, dude seems to enjoy picking up interesting bits of hardware and isn't a pompous rear end about it. Also, doesn't jump cut every 3 words which is unusual for YouTube.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

EL BROMANCE posted:

Yeah bought too. Nice that shipping was no worse for the US than the UK, or I would've picked it up next time I went home. How much were the tapes out of curiosity?

Tapes were £9 a pop.

super nailgun
Jan 1, 2014

CPL593H posted:

I just don't see any practical reason to gently caress around with cassettes when you could spit out a few dozen CD-Rs in a fraction of the time or just post the poo poo on a bandcamp page or something. I've heard tapes. I used them heavily for the first half of my life. They suck. The only reason I could imagine people putting out tapes is because it's a nostalgia thing. LPs have the benefit of superior sound quality (assuming you have a decent stereo and the disc itself was mastered well). Tapes are just a pain in the rear end.

See that's the thing. I hate tape hiss. I can deal with it if I'm listening to bootleg of something super rare, but if it can be avoided than it should be.

Cassettes are a way cooler physical artifact than CDs. Choice of materials for the case and shell gives some more area for experimentation, and you can fold a ton of info or art into a j-card.There's a reason modern releases on tape come with downloads though. I have to assume the number of people actually regularly playing contemporary cassette releases is vanishingly small.

EL BROMANCE posted:

CD feels passé, and despite being a technically great way of holding music it doesn't have much personality. If I'm gonna go digital, I just want MP3/AAC. Tapes are easily dubbed at home, they're cheap and they fit the lo-fi sound and aesthetic that a lot of acts wants.

Extremely on point. Vinyl is still king as far as having personality and also being a decent format to actually listen from, but cassette has a lot of of the personality at a much lower price point, and you can just provide a digital copy of the actual music alongside it to compensate for the quality/pain-in-the-rear end-factor issues.

super nailgun fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Jul 26, 2016

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
CDs rule, tapes are dumb, vinyl is fun. I think CDs have just as much 'personality' as tapes with the benefit of not sounding like garbage. Some bands make beautiful inserts and digipaks for their cd releases.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

realbez posted:

CDs rule, tapes are dumb, vinyl is fun. I think CDs have just as much 'personality' as tapes with the benefit of not sounding like garbage. Some bands make beautiful inserts and digipaks for their cd releases.

Tapes don't sound like garbage, especially if you're a noise band. People do that stuff for tapes as well.

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

A human heart posted:

Tapes don't sound like garbage, especially if you're a noise band. People do that stuff for tapes as well.

I know they do, I was saying CD packaging can have just as much personality as tapes can.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
Jesus Christ, guys.

You're not cool unless you're listening to MiniDiscs.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
I actually bought one actual retail release minidisc. It was Fatboy Slim's You've Come a Long Way Baby.

Ben Carsons Ghost
Oct 27, 2007

I'm still looking for the Cocktail soundtrack on 8-track

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I remember how many goddamn tapes my Walkman ate, I'm not loving with cassettes again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Every song worth listening to was released on Pocket Rockers :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
There's a reissue of The Avalanches SILY coming out. Haven't been able to unearth any info on how thorough it is in terms of cleared samples but I'm at least a little excited.