Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Who gets 40 lbs of something and doesn't know what to do with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Breaky posted:

If you had a friend that just told you he has about 40lb of striped bass in his freezer, how would you cook it? Doesn't have to be all at once.

I assume these are not fillet, gutted then frozen whole fish.

We call that rockfish in my part of the country. It's a pretty firm flesh that holds up to a variety of cooking methods. My go to is lemon/herb/butter and broil or wrap on foil and bake. It's fairly mild. You'll want to cut the bloodlines out of the fillets after you break it down. Well you don't have to, but the texture of the bloodline area is really weird.

But it really does stand up to most any cooking method. I once took a couple of rockfish I caught to a sushi chef friend of mine and went back that night for dinner. He had gone all iron chef and prepared it 8 different ways for us. It really is a versatile fish.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doh004 posted:

Who gets 40 lbs of something and doesn't know what to do with it?

My friend just likes to fish with his dad and they have built up a mess of stripers over the summer. He can't cook and I just found out he had a freezer full of these.

Thanks for the tip Flash. I've cooked them before growing up, but only either fried, or in a creole type of courtbullion. Just wondering how others used them.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Breaky posted:

My friend just likes to fish with his dad and they have built up a mess of stripers over the summer. He can't cook and I just found out he had a freezer full of these.

Thanks for the tip Flash. I've cooked them before growing up, but only either fried, or in a creole type of courtbullion. Just wondering how others used them.

Hope I didn't come off as a dick. 40 lbs is just a lot.

I don't remember the specific recipe, but whenever we cooked rockfish while in Maryland, we usually did it with some sort of mustard rub/glaze. Super tasty.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Doh004 posted:

Hope I didn't come off as a dick. 40 lbs is just a lot.

I don't remember the specific recipe, but whenever we cooked rockfish while in Maryland, we usually did it with some sort of mustard rub/glaze. Super tasty.

You didn't, no worries! :unsmith:

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Breaky posted:

I need to take up fishing.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should steam and hot oil em, chinese style.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

You should steam and hot oil em, chinese style.

Is the 'hot oil 'em' term just another name for pan-basting, or is there another technique I'm unaware of that I should learn in order to make delicious fish?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Drifter posted:

Is the 'hot oil 'em' term just another name for pan-basting, or is there another technique I'm unaware of that I should learn in order to make delicious fish?

you steam them, then put them on a wire rack above a deep fryer, then pour ladles of super hot oil on top of the fish.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Squashy Nipples posted:

Yeah, it is. So instead, head the problem off at the pass and cook yourself something BEFORE the meal. That way you can still eat with the family, but not be the cooks way.

I get home from work <10 minutes before supper starts, I've been working late for the last while. So that's unfortunately not an option. :(

I think my only real solution is to have as much flavor as possible in my lunches and put up with blandness at supper, for a week. Either that or get home after supper's over and reheat the leftovers. At least its not cream of mushroom soup casseroles.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

you steam them, then put them on a wire rack above a deep fryer, then pour ladles of super hot oil on top of the fish.

I've never heard of this. Does this cause much spattering when the hot oil flash-steams the remaining moisture from the original steaming process?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Doesn't have to be a lot, just a couple of tablespoons. It's common to pour the oil over a stack of aromatizing stuff like fresh Sichuan peppers, sliced chilies, spring onions and ginger in fine strips, and the like.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Midniter posted:

I've never heard of this. Does this cause much spattering when the hot oil flash-steams the remaining moisture from the original steaming process?

What Sjurygg said, and you also dry it fairly well before starting.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
I don't go that often as I am assuming your friend does, but goddamnit, with my luck it would take me forever to get up to 40 pounds of striper.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

THE MACHO MAN posted:

I don't go that often as I am assuming your friend does, but goddamnit, with my luck it would take me forever to get up to 40 pounds of striper.

You'd be surprised. I've had friends come back with that much in an afternoon. If you get in a good spot and they are feeding heavy you can pull up a couple of 5/8# ones in an hour.

ZetsurinPower
Dec 14, 2003

I looooove leftovers!

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I have radishes. I like radishes. I don't know what you can do with radishes. Frying them is fine, I can eat 'em raw but that's a bit dull...what are good things you can do with radishes? Is there a legendary radish recipe?

Roasted radishes are pretty tasty. Cut them in half (or quarter the larger ones) and toss with salt pepper and olive oil, roast at 450 until golden and wrinkly. Goes well with other roasted veggies like broccoli and something sweet like roasted onions or red pepper to round it out.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

I have radishes. I like radishes. I don't know what you can do with radishes. Frying them is fine, I can eat 'em raw but that's a bit dull...what are good things you can do with radishes? Is there a legendary radish recipe?
:kimchi:

Well, I guess if you make kimchi with radishes it's kakdugi. But whatever you call it, ferment the gently caress out of that poo poo.

Really that's solid advice for a surprisingly large variety of produce. Or maybe I just have fermentation on the brain. I seriously have like a half dozen different kinds of fermenting and pickling going on right now.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Jyrraeth posted:

I get home from work <10 minutes before supper starts, I've been working late for the last while. So that's unfortunately not an option. :(

I think my only real solution is to have as much flavor as possible in my lunches and put up with blandness at supper, for a week. Either that or get home after supper's over and reheat the leftovers. At least its not cream of mushroom soup casseroles.

When my sister went away to New England for college, when my mum and her dad went off to Japan, went I visited Puppy's family (for the first time) in the Midwest, when any of my family goes anywhere where bland food is A Thing, we carry a jar of Indian pickle with us. Why? Because it has a huge variety and amount of spices, oil, heat, and salt. It's used by Indians all over the subcontient (and come to think of it, the world) to adjust flavours to their liking at the table, without having to cook a separate thing.

The simplest Indian pickle is the hot chile pickle. If you don't like quite so much heat, feel free to substitute a milder pepper.

http://vegetarianirvana.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/quick-and-easy-north-indian-chili-pepper-pickle/

Here's a good starting recipe.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
I have a bunch of tomatillos and want to make some green salsa. Has anyone used this recipe? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fire-Roasted_Tomatillo_Salsa

Open to other recipes or entirely different uses too.

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Sjurygg posted:

Doesn't have to be a lot, just a couple of tablespoons. It's common to pour the oil over a stack of aromatizing stuff like fresh Sichuan peppers, sliced chilies, spring onions and ginger in fine strips, and the like.

After pouring the oil, don't forget to pour some soy sauce. A tablespoon sounds about right for an entire 8 pounder on a platter.

My family's mix of aromatics is strips of ginger, green onions, and cilantro in about a 1:4:6 ratio, respectively.

Robo Boogie Bot
Sep 4, 2011

geetee posted:

I have a bunch of tomatillos and want to make some green salsa. Has anyone used this recipe? http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Fire-Roasted_Tomatillo_Salsa

That's a pretty standard recipe, though I like to add some garlic and freshly toasted and ground cumin to mine. I also just throw everything under the broiler instead of lighting charcoal.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

geetee posted:

Looks about right, but I'd use more peppers, more lime, salt, no honey. Also, just roast the veggies in a dry comal/cast iron; no need for nonstick spray or olive oil. Tent the peppers with cling film or stuff in a ziploc after roasting, then peel. I usually add avocado, but then its a different sort of salsa.

If you want to use up your tomatillos, try chile verde (click on post):

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Thanks for the good ideas. The chile verde looks great, and fortunately I have enough tomatillos to allow me to make both.

Nexus42
Jul 5, 2003

Sorry for the Inconvenience
I want to make a delicious Salmon dinner using this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-salmon-ii/
it involves a simple marinade. The caveat is that I only have a toaster oven. I cannot put a glass dish in the toaster oven. Can I safely marinade the salmon for 1 hour, wrap it in tin foil, and then bake it for 12 minutes in the toaster oven? Any tips and advice is appreciated

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Nexus42 posted:

I want to make a delicious Salmon dinner using this recipe:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/baked-salmon-ii/
it involves a simple marinade. The caveat is that I only have a toaster oven. I cannot put a glass dish in the toaster oven. Can I safely marinade the salmon for 1 hour, wrap it in tin foil, and then bake it for 12 minutes in the toaster oven? Any tips and advice is appreciated

I think they said put it in the glass dish because that was the container they were using and it might catch any stray dripping. I see nothing wrong with just making a small dish out of foil and then putting your wrapped fish (with foil) into that little drip catcher.

Also, thanks for that recipe, I wanted fish this week but wanted to just keep it absolutely simple. That looks tasty. I might cut the oil back, though. For 12 oz of meat that seems a bit much. I'll probably just squish it into a ziploc baggie instead of a bowl to soak in.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 14, 2013

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

dino. posted:

When my sister went away to New England for college, when my mum and her dad went off to Japan, went I visited Puppy's family (for the first time) in the Midwest, when any of my family goes anywhere where bland food is A Thing, we carry a jar of Indian pickle with us. Why? Because it has a huge variety and amount of spices, oil, heat, and salt. It's used by Indians all over the subcontient (and come to think of it, the world) to adjust flavours to their liking at the table, without having to cook a separate thing.

The simplest Indian pickle is the hot chile pickle. If you don't like quite so much heat, feel free to substitute a milder pepper.

http://vegetarianirvana.wordpress.com/2011/09/12/quick-and-easy-north-indian-chili-pepper-pickle/

Here's a good starting recipe.

Oh awesome, thanks. dino to the rescue!

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach
Does vegetable oil serve the same purpose and interchangeable with olive oil?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ImPureAwesome posted:

Does vegetable oil serve the same purpose and interchangeable with olive oil?

No. Olive oil has a much more nuanced flavour and a lower smoke point and will become bitter at higher temperatures (and will then burst into flames). Vegetable/canola/peanut oil are neutral and have higher smoke points, so they're good for frying without messing with the flavour.

Olive oil is great for finishing soups and making dressings and sauces, while veg/canola/peanut are great for searing or shallow/deep frying stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Just to be nitpicky, that's extra virgin olive oil we're talking about.

They do make olive oil you can cook/fry with, it's called "extra light" olive oil

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Steve Yun posted:

Just to be nitpicky, that's extra virgin olive oil we're talking about.

They do make olive oil you can cook/fry with, it's called "extra light" olive oil

Which seems to defeat the purpose of using olive oil in the first place. It costs more than peanut or canola, and it's pretty much just oil at that point. All the "health benefits" of olive oil, if I'm to understand correctly, only really happen when it's the good stuff.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
True true, but I bring it up just in case he goes to the grocery and sees "extra light olive oil" and thinks it's the same

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah good point.
Actually it annoys the poo poo out of me the amount on TV 'chefs' that fry in extra virgin olive oil. For what purpose?
EVOO is for non cooking applications, dressing/salads, finishing etc.

We all know that if frying, canola (deep frying), peanut (stir fries), or lard, shortening, vegetable oil etc do as good a job as anything for even cheaper that the light olive oils.

I was going to not reply to this point as it was so obvious, but when things like processed or light olive oils were brought up, I just have to ask the question to dino. Normally when I want heaps of flavour I use butter, have you tried light olive oils as a vegan?
Like I said I would always use canola for a throw away cheap oil, or peanut for a high temp oil for stir fries. But when I cook at lower temps or want flavour I use butter, is that not something that could be handy to use light olive oil for, or is the flavour not that great for you? I'm thinking about a roux made with almond milk, or basting roasting veg here.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 14, 2013

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Honestly, by the time you've added all the spices that I do (and I do!) the flavour of butter is really not going to add much to the party. Like, if I'm making a roux with which to make a cream sauce, I'll generally use coconut milk as the creamy ingredient. The power of the coconut is going to override any subtle olive oil flavour big time. Popcorn, on the other hand, I'm happy to use olive oil with. What I'll do is lay out a bunch of peanut or canola oil in the pot, add the kernels, and let the first kernel pop. Then, I'll splash in a bit of the virgin olive oil, and let the whole lot pop. My nephews and niece (all of whom are butter addicts) love it, because they tell me it tastes buttery (without having used the butter, of course).

I'm sure that other cuisines, whose flavours are more subtle (in my head, you'd read that as bland, and you're all going to yell at me for being a smug twat, but there you go), I can understand the need for butter, because you need all the flavour you can get when there aren't any spices or anything to carry taste. For my own cooking, however, the spices, fresh herbs, etc seem to do the job with any neutral flavoured oil.

As a finishing oil, however, I'm quite liberal with the e.v. olive oil. No problem there. I'll sautee my aromatics over fierce heat, add tomatoes, etc etc, and then when all is said and done, and the dish is complete, hit that sucker with the olive oil. It's lovely. Same goes for sesame oil. I won't cook with the stuff, but I'll cheerfully finish with it quite frequently.

Sjonkel
Jan 31, 2012
On that note, does anyone have any resources on flavors and spices? I love making food, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to add the magical flavor, what goes with what, and a million other things.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Sjonkel posted:

On that note, does anyone have any resources on flavors and spices? I love making food, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to add the magical flavor, what goes with what, and a million other things.

Cliche, but good

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjonkel posted:

I would start by exploring different cultures' cuisines. Get comfortable cooking a few different ones. Take a note of what role each spice plays on the palate. Then from there something like The Flavor Bible is a great resource.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

I've only recently purchased this book but it's already saved my rear end for countless dinners. It's seriously great.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

And it's just so pretty :allears:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Sjonkel posted:

Like Gravity suggests, I think learning various cuisines is a good way to start. This cookbook (pdf link) is a good place for beginners to get a handle on the various flavors of various cuisines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
I bought a bottle of Frank's Red Hot, unwrapped the little seal thing today and the bottle cap had apparently leaked a bit of hot sauce out. The black pop up cap is broken and there's a little dried sauce on the cap. Is this thing still safe to use?