Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It is 6:45 in the morning, and I have never laughed harder this early.

Never loving change, Hussie. Never loving change. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Wake up earlier than normal this morning.

Check on newest Homestuck update.

Gamzee....

Gamzee, no...

GAMZEE, WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DO-

Siemens posted:

:stonk: aHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

And that's how I woke up at 4 am without coffee.

Now to go read the Vriskachat thread and laugh at all the people butthurt at Vriska coming back in literally the worst possible manner.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

You guys need to rein in the glorying in all the anger (imagined and, yes, occasionally real) of fans who like things in the comic. Sure, some people overreact, but others can still be invested in the characters and have a measured response. Posting about how great it is that Hussie is trolling everyone so hard and how you're not one of those care-hard types who's getting all mad and trolled sort of chokes out the opportunity to discuss actual character developments in a reasonable manner by lumping it in with whoever on tumblr is flipping out about Hussie being a 'bad writer'.

So, that aside, I want to say that I'm really interested in this development. Tavros and Vriska have been pulled out of the Afterlife and forced to share a body. They've both had a lot of chances to evolve from influences other than each other, but they didn't have a chance to come back together and share this progress. When they tried, it ended in tragedy (although this tragedy spurred further growth for both of them).

It could be done very obliquely, with Vriska and Tavros coming to understand each other simply because now that their minds are mixed they just do, or it could be done more subtly where as the sprite becomes saner by degrees it slowly hashes out the problems the two had with each other. This sprite is the ultimate opportunity for the two characters to work out their differences and work together. A reconciliation here would reconcile the sprite's mind (which is naturally starting from a highly irreconcilable position) and be a character arc victory for both of them.

It's going to be a lot of comedy, of course. Hell it might just end in comedy next panel with one half getting spat out or the sprite exploding or the sprite never doing anything but ranting and raving for the whole comic. If it survives, however, I don't think Hussie will shy away from turning it into a platform to bring the whole Vriska/Tavros thing to a more rounded conclusion.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Ahahahaha. You know, I've always disliked Gamzee, but if he continues this trend of total joyful hosed up behavior I can dig it.

This is the most hosed up and hilarious thing in the comic yet. I love it.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

But seriously, I'm betting the kernel sprite will divide like it's meant to (just because it's post entry doesn't mean it won't divide) and put this hilarious, horrifying abomination out of its misery, and we'll get two trollsprites.

Then again....maybe it won't :getin:

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Now to go read the Vriskachat thread and laugh at all the people butthurt at Vriska coming back in literally the worst possible manner.

I didn't even think of that. Who would be mad at this. Who.

quote:

Sorry, guys. It's been fun.

But I'm quitting Homestuck.

Bai.

Also, as for this thread.

Omae wa mo Shindeiru

quote:

I swear I'm going to hunt down the next fucker that comes in here and says "Shouldn't we include Tavros in here now?"

Honestly. rI is one thing, he comes in here every day to participate in the Vriska thread. But all of you random douchebags coming in here just to mock Vriska fans? You are the worst kind of people. I'd take a Tavriska over you people any day. And I absolutely LOATHE Tavros.

Now, I don't give a drat about the recent update or what it involves. Either talk about Vriska, GTFO, or I'll report you for trolling and being off-topic.

That is all.

quote:

Fuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuckfuck. gently caress! Seriously?! Why the gently caress would he do that? This isn't Andrew's idea. This is pure, simple trolling. We were talking about this YESTERDAY. I...I think I'm really starting to hate when we talk about ridiculous things. Because then, it just happen. And that's simply...bad. Did colwag react to this? I think his brain has died. I'm really apathetic toward this whole thing.

Mr. Pumroy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 18, 2012

Torokasi
Jan 13, 2011

Powered up to a level 2 super schmendrick.
What caught my attention after the painful laughter?

Gamzee really is Godtier - everyone's using their names in the chatlog. It's not just something Kanaya sewed up or something.

This scares me a touch more than Tavris.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Why would the kernel divide? This is a post-entry prototyping.

I kind of hope that it does, though, if only because the trollsprite splitting would almost certainly lead to something even more horrifying.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I bet this is all setup so we're not surprised when a sprite is accidentally prototyped with Lil Cal and Jake's dead dreamself, forcing him to become Lord English when he goes godtier.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Although I kind of playfully shouted at this update, and it is indeed horrifying, fans being actually upset at this development is funnier than the actual in-comic implications. Then again, I liked both Vriska and Tavros.

This doesn't really seem like bringing the characters back after their completed arcs, though. It's not really Tavros and it's not really Vriska, it's a weird combination of the two, becoming a whole new character. At least that's how I see it. Besides, the "irreconcilable" part makes me think the sprite is not long for this world, and it will somehow self-destruct. Destroy itself through rage at its other half, one might say.

dumb brunette posted:

I like the theory of Nepetequius, Feferollux, and Eridan being forevver alone.
I would give up Brosprite for this.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

I bet this is all setup so we're not surprised when a sprite is accidentally prototyped with Lil Cal and Jake's dead dreamself, forcing him to become Lord English when he goes godtier.

That... actually sounds possible, yikes.

PaleBlueDot
Feb 13, 2012

All the way from
Transylvania
Huh, well, that's... certainly interesting. Gotta say one thing for Gamzee, he does have a track record of stirring things up in the most clownfuck insane ways possible. Also, the results are slightly terrifying, like the last time.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I'd like them to split, but will continue to be amused by the fandom if they don't. The delicious, delicious reactions are a soothing balm on my own unsure-ness on this change.

quote:

I TALKED ABOUT THIS ON THE VRISKA THREAD TWO DAYS AGO THINKING IT WOULDN'T ACTUALLY HAPPEN.
AND WORSE YET I MADE THE VRISKA THREAD INTO THE TAVROS THREAD AS A JOKE.
I THINK, I THINK I HELPED GIVE HUSS THIS IDEA.
I GAVE YOUR VRISKA TAVROS-CANCER.
I'M SORRY.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

What's the deal with Jake becoming Lord English? Don't we already know how Lord English is created? Why would we need another?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I kind of like having to be asleep when all the MSPA updates go up, because this thread's post count primes me a little for them. It's like "Oh hey, new posts, must be an update. Whoa, 200 new posts since I went to bed. Wonder what they're all worked up over... :stare: Oh. That."

dumb brunette posted:

I like the theory of Nepetequius, Feferollux, and Eridan being forevver alone.

Those pairings are not NEARLY dysfunctional enough, regardless of how cute Nepetequius would be :colbert: I'm in favor of Equieridan myself because that would be the creepiest character devised by man.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

Well, we've already SEEN where Lord English came from and where Doc Scratch came from, so... yeah, we're probably due for at least two more simultaneous origin stories, you're right. :v:

Snollygoster
Dec 17, 2002

what a scoop
My first thought was "welp, Hussie's got the tg/tf fetishist crowd in his back pocket now."

If I'm remembering right, Stephen King makes a point in "On Writing" and the end of Dark Tower that past a certain point, authors and audiences need to be able to say goodbye to a character, and maybe we shouldn't see what Frodo's doing in Valinor or Roland does in the Tower because maybe it'll disappoint us.

You have people like Weis & Hickman, who have gone over the heroes in the Dragonlance books so much and so unwaveringly that any denouement they got was spoiled by the next book. You don't get to see them disappear into the glorious sunset, they totter around in fat senescence and then keel over. Or they're Tasslehoff Burrfoot and they keep coming back, and back, and back, because the author can't let go, and it diminishes the character for the audience.

I feel like that's what's happened here. Everyone thought Tavros and Vriska were floating off in dream bubble Valinor... and then along came Gamzee and we have this hilarious, conceptually horrifying Cronenbergian body-horror fuckjob thing. I can see why some people are blowing their stack over this, and I'm sure Hussie will kick out a tumblr update where he shits on them for being attached to his characters and something something racial transcendence.

Whatever the case, Act 6 is hitting its stride. This blindsided everyone and it's pretty astonishing.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

tinaun posted:

What's the deal with Jake becoming Lord English? Don't we already know how Lord English is created? Why would we need another?

Well, it's been hinted at in various ways, and the primary method by which LE enters a universe (Doc Scratch) is not present in this session.

My rather silly theory/joke relies on my understanding that for LE to show up here he... needs another way in. I know one idea floating around is that this session will give us an actual LE origin story, though I wouldn't be entirely happy with that.

edit:

Snollygoster posted:

My first thought was "welp, Hussie's got the tg/tf fetishist crowd in his back pocket now."

God help me I also had this thought.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

My people I bring you a message from the Lord!

Dolash posted:

You guys need to rein in the glorying in all the anger (imagined and, yes, occasionally real) of fans who like things in the comic. Sure, some people overreact, but others can still be invested in the characters and have a measured response. Posting about how great it is that Hussie is trolling everyone so hard and how you're not one of those care-hard types who's getting all mad and trolled sort of chokes out the opportunity to discuss actual character developments in a reasonable manner by lumping it in with whoever on tumblr is flipping out about Hussie being a 'bad writer'.

Well, I didn't want to shut down discussion or anything, I just genuinely don't understand those people who would stop reading after this. I mean, if they got this far, I'd think they'd be used to these insane turns.

Dolash posted:

A reconciliation here would reconcile the sprite's mind (which is naturally starting from a highly irreconcilable position) and be a character arc victory for both of them.

This is what I'm really hoping for too. Vriska never really got a chance to fully deal with murdering her friend, Tavros never got the chance to complete his growth, and Terezi might finally get her chance to apologise, or at least explain how she feels. While this is hilarious both in and out of the story, I think it might actually be an opportunity for a very emotionally satisfying conclusion. Sure it starts out crazy and horrifying, but maybe it will end up somewhere nice (or maybe the sprite explodes or goes crazy and is only ever used for humor. I mean, I hope not, but I guess it could happen.)

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

This is what I've been saying too! It prepares the reader for strange yet important combinations. While this all seems like a hilarious joke it's probably going to be incredibly important. Just like every joke in Homestuck.

e: We don't know where Lord English came from, we don't even really know what he is. We just saw how he entered A2, and we knew he existed before/outside/whatever. I guess part of the horror and intimidation of the character could be that we never fully understand him, but I don't know if that's a necessary element of his character. An origin story wouldn't be unwelcome, I don't think, but it might diminish him. I dunno, I always assumed we would never really fully learn about him, but after reading the theory that Jake and Lil' Cal are Lord English, I kinda like it, and even if that isn't how it happens, I'd still like to know where he came from.

Starmaker fucked around with this message at 13:31 on Apr 18, 2012

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Holy poo poo that Vriskachat thread is GLORIOUS.

an actual person posted:

I want to see Tavros alive again and permanently tethered to Vriska about as much as I want to see Hitler alive again and permanently tethered to me.

someone who presumably really exists posted:

Okay, I'm better now. Hopefully the next panel will be a psyche. But even if it's not, I will not give up. DO YOU HEAR ME, HUSSIE? YOU MAY TAKE OUR CANON, BUT YOU'LL NEVER TAKE OUR SHIPPING!!!!!!!!

someone with absolutely no shame posted:

Worst case scenario: Vriska is ruined forever?

but Andrew isn't stupid right

I mean it can't be all that bad, right?

VRISKA IS RUINED FOREVER
:qqsay:

a person with THE MOST DELICIOUS TEARS posted:

Sorry, guys. It's been fun.

But I'm quitting Homestuck.

Bai.

someone for whom hope springs eternal posted:

This is the first time I have actively hated a plot development in Homestuck. I am just hoping the irreconcilable comment means they're going to split due to void session stuff.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Well this goes a long way to explaining why Vriska couldn't be found in the dream bubbles I guess!

Still, what in the actual gently caress.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
We've seen where Lord English comes from?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Sprite141 posted:

We've seen where Lord English comes from?

Lord English comes from dead Doc Scratch. Doc Scratch comes from Lil Cal being prototyped with a magic cue ball. Lil Cal is a stable time loop. The magic cue ball comes from... time shenanigans I think?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
This update itself isn't all that funny (besides D::::{ and Jane's reaction in general), but the fandom reaction in general is hysterical. However, I don't know how long that can last. Hopefully Hussie can make this work.

What's this "Gamzee is blurry again" thing all about?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

Really? Been skimming it myself, barely any more of a reaction than in here. I did find this little gem, though:

Think I'll try a general thread next or something, or maybe wait until more people wake up to read the update.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
OH MY, looks like it's finally VRISKA TIME!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have that image, by the way? Someone needs to photoshop it to include this newest development.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

loquacius posted:

Lord English comes from dead Doc Scratch. Doc Scratch comes from Lil Cal being prototyped with a magic cue ball. Lil Cal is a stable time loop. The magic cue ball comes from... time shenanigans I think?

I thought that was just how he entered the troll universe? I assume he existed before that, or outside the universe, or whatever. Like, Doc Scratch was just a portal, not an... egg.

^^^^^
It will have Tavris looming in the doorway, and Tavris cowering on the floor.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

God-Tier Sprite means she's active and/or alive again, which means if/when the sprite kicks it Vriska's going to get another shot at the Heroic/Just Death judgement cycle. Between her self-serving and Tavros' cowardice, I don't think any death'll be heroic, and nothing in B2 has the cachet to give her a just death.

Tavrisprite goes splat, Vriska God Tiers back to life, we're left with a Tavros sprite. That's my left field prediction.

Lord of Laughton
Nov 11, 2008

It's hard to say for certain
But I think I like it here.
There is no :stare: big enough for what happened. I love it.

So I imagine Gamzee's going to somehow go through the gates in order to get to the next planets with his next round of corpse prototyping. I agree with Nepeta/Equius/Eridan/Feferi getting prototyped some way or another, but I'm not sure about Sollux. On the one hand Gamzee does have a corpse of him, since he's making mustard potions, but Sollux is also alive back with Aradia at the Green Sun. I guess it would fit his character to have two living selves.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

MrBims posted:

Hey, someone post that Karkat popcorn gif!

There are like 50 of those and I can't find any of them, so I dug up something better instead:

TOGETHER FOREVER

Slime posted:

OH MY, looks like it's finally VRISKA TIME!!!!!!!!

Does anyone have that image, by the way? Someone needs to photoshop it to include this newest development.

Believe it or not, it's one of the first results if you GIS the url of this thread!

e/ Assuming this is the one you meant of course.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 18, 2012

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Snollygoster posted:

I feel like that's what's happened here. Everyone thought Tavros and Vriska were floating off in dream bubble Valinor... and then along came Gamzee and we have this hilarious, conceptually horrifying Cronenbergian body-horror fuckjob thing. I can see why some people are blowing their stack over this, and I'm sure Hussie will kick out a tumblr update where he shits on them for being attached to his characters and something something racial transcendence.

While I understand what you're saying about riding off into the sunset, I don't think that's necessarily what was actually happening with Vriska and Tavros in the dream bubbles anyway. Heck, it's not even like the dream bubbles are permanent or the actual afterlife, and there were always some dark implications of a dimension where your character stops growing in a story about coming of age and creation myth.

I think we might've just convinced ourselves that Tavros and Vriska's stories were over. I remember a lot of debate when both of them died about whether this could be construed as the end of their arcs or not. While a certain interpretation could see them as satisfying conclusions (albeit with heavy personal failure overtones), there were obviously a lot of things we didn't get to see - Tavros and Vriska ever really coming to understand each other, or even reconciling, for example.

Were these things necessary? Well, no, but they're unexplored country, and to me it suggests there's at least enough meat left in both of them to sustain an extension to their story (corpse-in-fridge humour aside:v:).

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

loquacius posted:

It's pretty mild actually.

Sorry, I mean, delicious tears of rage xD u mad dude?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

That was... unexpected.

I hope there wont be any kind of "TavrosVriskasprite makes weird/funny/horrifying stuff" -sequence after this, though. I'd love to see the plot progress a bit.

Also, I saw people in need of a more powerful :stare: -smiley, so behold! I made this:

WINNERSH TRIANGLE
Aug 17, 2011

Dolash posted:

Hmm, yes, but on the other hand

quote:

Thing is: I hate Vriska, I love her as a Character and shes a well written one, but I hate her personality and as a person.

Mostly because I associate with tavros and think about all the hate I bottled up against other people during 8th grade. Yet she is a sadist. She enjoys watching others suffer. She is a horrible bitch.

Mostly the fanbase bugs me because if you announce that you have a love interest you will instantly be forgiven.

Im sure she could have raped Tavros, and killed all the kids herself yet the fanbase would be all over her the second she announced she has a crush on a guy.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

loquacius posted:

We saw Lord English summoned into the Troll universe. Presumably he can be summoned into multiple universes, but, like the Green Sun, was only created once.

Jake has all kinds of Lord English gear and jokes in his intro. At first glance, this is all just to freak people out about his name being Jake English, but recent theorycrafting is that the reason his name is Jake English and has LE gear is not that LE is 'already here' in the B2 universe, but that these are the ingredients used to originally create Lord English.

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Dolash, I always liked your posts, and your analyses, please don't ever stop :)

As for Lord English and Doc Scratch, all I could find was this log:

pesterlog posted:

My master can't enter this universe until I am killed.
Such is the nature of the break.
TT: That almost sounds like martyrdom. Are you sure it won't be a hero's death?
Quite sure.
My master is a very evil man.
TT: Who is he?
I won't tell you his name.
But he goes by the title, Lord English.

All he says is "enter," not "make" or "create." I was always under the impression that LE came from elsewhere, hell he even had a "calling card" in the pre-scratch troll universe. Yes, he controls time and can be anywhere and anywhen after his creation, but it always seemed like he was something bigger, coming from outside and beyond, than simply hatching from Doc Scratch. That time was just how he got there.

Or maybe I'm totally wrong and he was just a part of Doc Scratch all along, and that was his origin story. It just never really seemed like that to me?

Guess we'll see.

^^^^^^
Yeah, thanks. You said it better than I could.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Perhaps Doc Scratch will not tell Rose Lord English's name because it would spoil too many things if she had heard the name "Jake". :downs:

friendlyNeurotoxin
Sep 14, 2011

Super High-school Level Slacker
Oh Gamzee I'm going to have to change my mind about him if he carries on loving up the kid session with this sorta thing. I hope the Jake being lord English thing doesn't come to pass personally, but all the hints that have already been given towards him and the name, I wouldn't be suprised if Hussie pulled that stunt (or at the very least made it look like he was building up to it.)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Gamzee is so helpful. He has considerately prototyped Jane's sprite with both someone who really wants to solve all the puzzles as well as someone who is really good at winning games. You could not ask for a better guide! I think this calls for a celebratory swig of miracle elixir for a job well done.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Hempuli posted:

Also, I saw people in need of a more powerful :stare: -smiley, so behold! I made this:

Have the eyes turn read and the head shake "No" and I'll buy this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starmaker
Dec 29, 2009

Of all the horrible things on the internet, it's Tavrisprite that will finally give us a stronger :stare: