Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Well true, but even when GameFAQs started blowing up and people were claiming "perfect runs" and all that, the sidequest was still lost for over a decade. These perfect runs also included a lot of stuff left out of the PlayOnline guide.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
As a massive fan of VII, even I have to admit IX was top notch Final Fantasy. Really, the series could do no wrong between all the SNES and PSX games. (VIII's weirdness has been explained in this thread, gas leak.) IX isn't where I'd tell anyone to start with the series, but they'd be remiss to skip over it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

VII>VI>V>IX>I>IV>II>III(DS)>>>>>VIII

Its pretty crazy how good VII was. Did they just get lucky?

I enjoyed IX but it was just trading on some weird nostalgia. The only interesting thing it did was adopt a mechanical system reminiscent of a decade past, and that in and of itself is not interesting. There were too many interesting developments (mechanically and narratively) from IV onward for IX to regress that hard. A strange game.

TheEggsBenedict
Jan 4, 2013

if i go crazy then
will you still
call me superman
So should I replay VII? Last time I tried to play it, I stopped because the characters looked so awful. The sprites from the SNES games and the character models from 8 and 9 have aged a lot better in my opinion.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

TheEggsBenedict posted:

So should I replay VII? Last time I tried to play it, I stopped because the characters looked so awful. The sprites from the SNES games and the character models from 8 and 9 have aged a lot better in my opinion.

Graphically 8 and 9 are much better than 7, sure, but I think 7 is a much better game. Ultimately, Final Fantasy games represent a struggle between player and menus, and 7 is the only game I have played in the series where that struggle is both mechanically and narratively relevant, where the JRPG devotion to leveling up becomes part of the plot and tries to connect to the player beyond the base level of "look at these numbers get higher".

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Great Lakes Log posted:

I dunno, 7 is good fun and it's... pleasant, but I'm lying if I say my enjoyment of it is anything more than nostalgia and the most base "I like seeing stars go up on my Materia :downs:"

the latter of which counts for a lot with me, but it's more of a "I loved this game when I was ten" kind of deal personally. I replayed it on the PC last year and it didn't really resonate with me at all. It was a cute walk down memory lane, but little else.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
VII is great and all but in terms of gameplay you basically pick whoever has the best limit breaks. VI is kinda the same way. I like both those games but I like the class restrictions in other games, the limitations add a little more thought process in my opinion as opposed to having everyone rotate espers or materia and learn the same skills. V is a great balance because the characters will all be unique depending on how to play the game out until you do end game grinding, and even then it would take forever.

IX does have the biggest bullshittingest optional boss ever. I never beat ozma when I first played the game and I can't do it atmy current levels (61-65) now either.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

IX does have the biggest bullshittingest optional boss ever. I never beat ozma when I first played the game and I can't do it atmy current levels (61-65) now either.
The thing about Ozma is that levels don't really matter; everything is in your setup and doing 65,000 damage in as few actions as possible. It's even doable at lv1 since Ozma's attacks are either Doomsday (which you absorb), Flare Star (which does 50*lv damage), or something that'll instantly wipe your party. Also, do the friendly animals sidequest since that turns Ozma's Darkness affinity into a weakness.

Basically it's 75% maximizing your damage and 25% luck; if you do the friendly animals poo poo, you have about a 1:4 chance of winning. Without, it's something like 1:>20.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Great Lakes Log posted:

I enjoyed IX but it was just trading on some weird nostalgia. The only interesting thing it did was adopt a mechanical system reminiscent of a decade past, and that in and of itself is not interesting. There were too many interesting developments (mechanically and narratively) from IV onward for IX to regress that hard. A strange game.

FF9 was intentionally designed to be the last "Traditional" FF game, because they were never going back to the ATB system as far as they knew. That's why it was the only 3D one that had 4 party members, that's why there was way more fantasy than the modern settings of 7 and 8. I remember a lot of people not being happy at the fact that FFX was strictly turn-based when it first came out because Non-ATB battles "weren't FF".

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
I'm not as young as you guys are (I think?), so for me 4 kind of replaces 7, and for almost exactly the same reason you guys have been saying you like 7 the most. Nostalgia is weird like that.

goldjas fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Sep 2, 2013

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!
FF4 is a game that I enjoyed a lot when I was a kid, but haven't had that much fun the most recent time(s) I'd gone back to it. I still like it, it's just that the experience isn't quite the same when you know what's coming next. There are always challenge runs, sure, but the only one I know of is solo Cecil, and doing the Valvalis fight that way does not sound fun at all.

Conversely, when I last played through FF7, I hadn't played it in over a decade. And it was amazing. There were so many details and references that I didn't quite pick up on when I was eleven, but was a bit more literate this time. The music and art direction are both really good for their era, as well. I'm certain that for people who hadn't played them to death, going back and replaying FF4 or Chrono Trigger or Phantasy Star IV, et cetera, would be a similar experience.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

FF9 was intentionally designed to be the last "Traditional" FF game, because they were never going back to the ATB system as far as they knew. That's why it was the only 3D one that had 4 party members, that's why there was way more fantasy than the modern settings of 7 and 8. I remember a lot of people not being happy at the fact that FFX was strictly turn-based when it first came out because Non-ATB battles "weren't FF".

Yeah, I know that was the intent and they did a very good job with it, even using the same battle music intro. There were lots of little touches to make me like the game, but ultimately I never found their goal as interesting as they thought it was, probably because I don't have the nostalgia they were playing for.

Man I was looking forward to playing X/X-2. I was hoping to continue this binge but I guess I'll have to take a long break from it. Is there a specific reason they moved away from ATB? Was it just to shake things up?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've been replaying FF9, and it really is amazing just how much work they put into even the tiniest details. There's an insane amount of fluff everywhere that really adds to the world-building of that game. It's just cool as hell seeing all these deft touches create a huge, vibrant world.

Battles are duller than I remember, but then again I've only just finished Disc 1 so they'll probably get better later on. Maybe. But if I can overlook Legend of Mana's generic gameplay to love that game's world, I'm more than willing to still do it for FF9.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

I remember Ozma being kind of a crapshoot. It can both be a colossal joke at level 1 and absolutely wreck your poo poo at level 100.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

FF4 is the game I've played the poo poo out of, mainly because I'm an old fart I guess. It was such a drastic jump in quality over FF1 that it's just been riding that for 20+ years.

I'd put 9 ahead of 7 simply because the graphics have aged better and the script doesn't read like it was run through google translate three times. I always thought we were going to see a FF7 remake using rehashed Crisis Core assets but like I keep saying, Squeenix hates money.

The Fuck Juicer
Oct 16, 2012

Seeing the original artwork for the backgrounds in FF9 and discovering that entirely new sidequest has made me a little :allears:

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
It's a good thing they won't remake VII for whatever reason. The compilation is filled with such garbage that I'd hate to see what kind of horrible things they'd do to the original game.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
What entirely new sidequest in IX are you guys referring to?

I did all the animals for ozma but I usually end up getting mini'd from his curse spell and can't get everyone cured in time to do enough damage before he wipes me. That and the fact that you have to do all of your actions really quickly during his turn or he'll squeeze an action inbetween yours.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

What entirely new sidequest in IX are you guys referring to?

I did all the animals for ozma but I usually end up getting mini'd from his curse spell and can't get everyone cured in time to do enough damage before he wipes me. That and the fact that you have to do all of your actions really quickly during his turn or he'll squeeze an action inbetween yours.

I think this is the one: http://www.destructoid.com/a-new-final-fantasy-ix-side-quest-was-discovered-254657.phtml

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Great Lakes Log posted:

It's not regression, but an expansive homage/coda to games past. IX pushed the PSX to its limits graphically and had the best soundtrack in the series. The only "regression" it makes is moving the gameplay back to a more IV-like system, with rigid classes and a slower ATB. Everything else, from the ATEs to the minigames, is an evolution of games past.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Dragonatrix posted:

I remember Ozma being kind of a crapshoot. It can both be a colossal joke at level 1 and absolutely wreck your poo poo at level 100.
Actually, it's more of a shitshow at 100 because your HP growth starts to top out in the 60s or 70s and you start getting in the neighborhood of 1-10HP/level, so Flare Star starts to outscale it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

FF4 Berserker Run is pretty simple so far. First Scarmiglione fight took three tries due to unlucky Lit castings killing Cecil, but the twins wrecked the undead with Holy Arrows. Second Scar fight was a sinch. Can't Berserker the next plot battle, of course.

Baron was tricky due to the Baron Knights, who couldn't die in one hit, hit hard themselves, and counter all physicals with Mini. It came down to Cecil not taking much damage so that Yang could be taken care of easily. From there, Baigan was simple, and Cagnazzio required Yang to level to L21 and get five hits to outdamage Cag's healing. Finally, did the Magnetic Cave and watched Cecil take down Dark Elf with glee, doing over a thousand damage with the Headband/Kenpo Gi/Gauntlet's strength boosts and the elf's weakness to holy.

Of course, the real fun parts, the Magus Sisters and Barbariccia, are coming up. Due to how the targeting of the game works, Magus Sisters will be a pain since I'll have to kill the front sister before damaging the middle, which won't last too long I imagine. And then Barbariccia will probably require Jump abuse to make it past, though we'll see about that.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mega64 posted:

FF4 Berserker Run is pretty simple so far. First Scarmiglione fight took three tries due to unlucky Lit castings killing Cecil, but the twins wrecked the undead with Holy Arrows. Second Scar fight was a sinch. Can't Berserker the next plot battle, of course.

You poor fucker, I don't think it's actually possible to Berserker the final boss since he has too many HP to damage-race his Big Bang cycle.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Mega64 posted:

Cagnazzio required Yang to level to L21 and get five hits to outdamage Cag's healing.

Is this with dual Ice Claws or not? I wouldn't have thought you'd need to grind overly much with those.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

Is this with dual Ice Claws or not? I wouldn't have thought you'd need to grind overly much with those.

Ice/Thunder, since two claws of the same type don't boost damage any more than just one.

The White Dragon posted:

You poor fucker, I don't think it's actually possible to Berserker the final boss since he has too many HP to damage-race his Big Bang cycle.

Probably. Just kinda curious to see how far I can go with this run, since I doubt many people have done this type of run before.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Did I break FF4's difficulty curve or something (iOS version)? The game was ridiculously hard for me up to Cagnazzo, but after doing zero grinding and going through the Magus Sisters and that weird tornado fiend thing the game's difficulty has seemed to take a huge drop. I was using a shitload of Phoenix Downs and Ethers in previous boss fights, now I'm doing just a ton more damage overall and having to revive everyone less.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

1st AD posted:

Did I break FF4's difficulty curve or something (iOS version)? The game was ridiculously hard for me up to Cagnazzo, but after doing zero grinding and going through the Magus Sisters and that weird tornado fiend thing the game's difficulty has seemed to take a huge drop. I was using a shitload of Phoenix Downs and Ethers in previous boss fights, now I'm doing just a ton more damage overall and having to revive everyone less.
Nope, the game is mostly downhill after the Magus Sisters up to pretty much the last few bosses. It peaks with the Magus Sisters, Baigan, and Dark Elf.

Man, I wish Baigan wasn't evil and would've joined your party for real if only for a few minutes :allears:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Sep 3, 2013

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

I distinctly remember getting that Protect Ring 10 years ago when I first played the game :psyduck:

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

pandaK posted:

I distinctly remember getting that Protect Ring 10 years ago when I first played the game :psyduck:

Well, all they say is 'nobody's have written about this sidequest on the internet before' which isn't exactly 'nobody's ever done it'. I hadn't heard it was in the Ultimania all along before, it'd surprise me if this is literally the first time someone translated that page.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Just started xenogears after hearing about it for so long. Anything helpful I shoukd know early on? The text boxes scroll s o s l o w l y. Cant wait to learn more "Marshal art's" though.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Just started xenogears after hearing about it for so long. Anything helpful I shoukd know early on? The text boxes scroll s o s l o w l y. Cant wait to learn more "Marshal art's" though.
Things to know: get used to the text boxes scrolling at a dramatically slow pace. What you're seeing right now ain't poo poo.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Things to know: get used to the text boxes scrolling at a dramatically slow pace. What you're seeing right now ain't poo poo.

I think Xenogears might be a game with more cut content then completed content. Hope you like text boxes upon text boxes explaining things without your input as your brain slowly attempts to escape out your ears while they half-babble about freud.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Well I assume there's a reason people still talk about this game so I'll keep going. I have heard the story gets confusing. Combat system seems pretty neat so far though.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Well I assume there's a reason people still talk about this game so I'll keep going. I have heard the story gets confusing. Combat system seems pretty neat so far though.

I'm a little bit biased because I had to cheat to beat it (gently caress YOU BOSS AFTER SAVE POINTS WITH NO WAY TO LEVEL) but the combat is pretty neat and the story (especially the namedropping) is something that when you're 10-14 seems totally mindblowing but falls apart completely under any real scrutiny.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Oh yeah, the combat's super fun just because of how involved it makes you feel (even if--and don't think about this too hard or it might ruin it for you--you're just mashing whatever combo has the strongest finisher). "The story gets confusing" is the biggest understatement since "The Koch Brothers are a little rich" though.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

The combat system is nice, but the storyline is complete poo poo.

VVVV Nobody gives a poo poo.

Azure_Horizon fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Sep 3, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Azure_Horizon posted:

The combat system is nice, but the storyline is complete poo poo.

The infinite burning irony here.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The story would have been pretty decent if they hadn't had to present 3/4 of it as an infodump 60 hours in due to budget issues.

Beef Juice
Dec 28, 2003
resurrected

pandaK posted:

You can buy it with points rewarded from the Chocobo Hot and Cold minigame, and you can also synthesize it for 40,000 gil, Rebirth Ring, and Dark Matter at Hades's Synthesis shop. So you could have gotten the ring by other means.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The thing about Xenogears plotline is that it really isn't that confusing. It's mostly just poorly told. The actual plot, written out, is straightforward enough just hidden behind lots of meaningless stuff which bloats it.