Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My friend went to the NY premier of Defenders tonight (I think just the first two episodes). Here's what he said (extremely minor and obvious spoilers, but just in case):

So: THE DEFENDERS.
The first episode is a bit disconnected, showing all four shows in as close as possible to their original aesthetics (and color filters over each to connect to their respective uniforms), but the individual plotlines are intriguing enough to keep you going. The second episode starts to show old and new connections between those four, mostly through interactions between their supporting casts.
The last ten minutes or so of the second episode, though? CROSSOVER FIGHTS and suddenly the plot gets a lot more clear and a lot deeper at the same time.
I'm pretty psyched for the rest.

He wasn't fond of Iron Fist, fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Gaz-L posted:

The princess better get in a freakin' lion in this set of episodes though!

She doesn't need one, she is a badass starship captain. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Light Gun Man posted:

She doesn't need one, she is a badass starship captain. :colbert:

She can be two things! Also Shiro is dead, so they need a new paladin.

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

muscles like this! posted:

Lets talk about how good the Herr Starr origin was in last night's Preacher.

(Sooo good.)

I haven't started Season 2 yet, how is the Character/Actor for Starr?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Gaz-L posted:

She can be two things! Also Shiro is dead, so they need a new paladin.

He's just on the hospital planet.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Ojjeorago posted:

He's just on the hospital planet.

Call up his twin brother duh

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Comfortador posted:

I really like what he's doing. It's a slightly different direction than the comics as show Starr is a lot more deadpan whether he's asking about the hookers he was promised, trying to get his parking validated or masturbating during a fight to make the guy let go of him.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Starr origin was fantastic, and him playing it entirely straight was fantastic.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
Starr is like a 10 inch dick. Something you have to see to believe.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Endless Mike posted:

The Starr origin was fantastic, and him playing it entirely straight was fantastic.
AMC put it up on their youtube page if anyone wanted to watch it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=smmAuiJ-lxY

ufarn
May 30, 2009
US-only looks like.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Comfortador posted:

I approve. So far season 2 is scores better than 1. Still hate Tulip, but Starr was solid.

In fact, I'm just pretending this is season 1.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wait do you hate Tulip as a character or the way she's played? I can see the former (and I'm not sure any of the main characters are particularly likable), but Ruth Negga is great in the role.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Endless Mike posted:

Wait do you hate Tulip as a character or the way she's played? I can see the former (and I'm not sure any of the main characters are particularly likable), but Ruth Negga is great in the role.

Ruth is fine, I just can't stand the direction they went with her. Though admittedly they toned down the psycho from season 1.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got incredibly bored with season 1. It felt like the whole show was 90% people with texan accents being lovely to each other, 10% weird poo poo. Does it evolve beyond that in season 2?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well the town blew up and all those characters are dead. Season 2 is them hanging out in New Orleans while doing stuff like visiting a casting agent (to find the guy who pretended to be God in season 1) and dealing with the Saint of Killers. Also there's been a subplot about Eugene in Hell and he's hanging out with Hitler. Also there's a caveman in Hell.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
That sounds good, because i hated every single person in that town. They were almost as horrible as Walker Dead characters. I may just skip to season 2.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

CW is doing this year's DC crossover over 2 nights instead of 4, moving Arrow to that Monday for the week. Good idea.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

zoux posted:

CW is doing this year's DC crossover over 2 nights instead of 4, moving Arrow to that Monday for the week. Good idea.

maybe with this setup they won't feel compelled to make the episodes 55 minutes of normal stuff, followed by someone dramatically appearing at the last minute to tell them about a new threat

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They actually did make sure to tell everyone that Supergirl's episode is a full part this time.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

ekeog posted:

maybe with this setup they won't feel compelled to make the episodes 55 minutes of normal stuff, followed by someone dramatically appearing at the last minute to tell them about a new threat

I think you may be overstating things a bit

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhVmE33VBXw

This is so awful. This will be the greatest comedy on TV even if unintentional. I certainly hope those aren't the finished effects but I'll bet they are and it just makes it so much more hilarious.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

That honestly looks about as good as I'd expect you could make Medusa's hair look in live action. It's not GOOD, but I don't imagine it could be much better.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Man remember when the Inhumans movie was announced and some people were like "gently caress these loving Inhumans Marvel is just pushing the X-Men out since they don't have film rights :argh:"* and some people were like "weird choice but okay, why not"?

It's so nice that Marvel was able to compromise and find a solution that nobody will like.

*I mean, they weren't wrong...

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

RevKrule posted:

This is so awful. This will be the greatest comedy on TV even if unintentional. I certainly hope those aren't the finished effects but I'll bet they are and it just makes it so much more hilarious.

I'm only familiar with Maximus' actor from GOT but it seems like everyone is just going to phone it in for this show.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2017/08/03/breaking-news-titans-tv-show-gets-its-raven?sf103555255=1

Titans casts their Raven.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

It's literally now the third thing on her IMDB. Her previous credits are a low budget sci-fi thing, and an Aussie soap.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TwoPair posted:

Man remember when the Inhumans movie was announced and some people were like "gently caress these loving Inhumans Marvel is just pushing the X-Men out since they don't have film rights :argh:"* and some people were like "weird choice but okay, why not"?

It's so nice that Marvel was able to compromise and find a solution that nobody will like.

Eh they were pretty wrong seeing how we never saw a big dip in X-men comic books

AbsolutelySane
Jul 2, 2012

twistedmentat posted:

That sounds good, because i hated every single person in that town. They were almost as horrible as Walker Dead characters. I may just skip to season 2.

Now I want a Chuck Norris zombie show. Thanks.

Aphrodite posted:

They actually did make sure to tell everyone that Supergirl's episode is a full part this time.

That was one of the most disappointing parts of the crossover. I really wanted to see Kara, Barry and Cisco hang out for an hour.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I like how she looks like the spitting image of Terra :v:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

It's literally now the third thing on her IMDB. Her previous credits are a low budget sci-fi thing, and an Aussie soap.

I just watched the Osiris Child the other day.

It was bad.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

TwoPair posted:

They had some perfectly fine inhumans in Agents of Shield! :colbert:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How can they be pushing the Inhumans out of a universe they have no legal ability to appear in?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

RevKrule posted:

Regardless of the quality of scenes or effects (and I'm actually gonna go against the grain here and say I don't think that specific Medusa CGI is terrible), it's still annoying that all the trailers and previews have been so Maximus-heavy, especially when this writing and direction makes it seem like they hadn't actually read anything Maximus has been in for ages.

Like, I'm not some kind of Maximus-aficionado or anything, but this is literally the first time I've ever heard of him wanting to boink Medusa at all. Maybe it's been a part of his character and I simply hadn't known about it; maybe not. Either way, if you're not really familiar with the Inhumans or their comics history, the only thing you really know about this upcoming show is that it's about this weirdo doofus who wants to doof his sister-in-law.

This is the sort of promotion that's supposed to drag asses to Imax theaters?

BrianWilly fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Aug 4, 2017

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Probably becuase the guy playing Maximus was one of the more memorable Game of Thrones villains so they feel like he's going to be the draw.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think "Gods of Egypt" and "Pompeii" showed that hedging your bets on GoT actors is in fact super dumb, and those guys were way more prominent than Ramsay.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They don't need to do that with the Marvel logo on there. Marvel people will defend anything.

They defend Iron Fist.

Takezio
Nov 7, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

Regardless of the quality of scenes or effects (and I'm actually gonna go against the grain here and say I don't think that specific Medusa CGI is terrible), it's still annoying that all the trailers and previews have been so Maximus-heavy, especially when this writing and direction makes it seem like they hadn't actually read anything Maximus has been in for ages.

Like, I'm not some kind of Maximus-aficionado or anything, but this is literally the first time I've ever heard of him wanting to boink Medusa at all. Maybe it's been a part of his character and I simply hadn't known about it; maybe not. Either way, if you're not really familiar with the Inhumans or their comics history, the only thing you really know about this upcoming show is that it's about this weirdo doofus who wants to doof his sister-in-law.

This is the sort of promotion that's supposed to drag asses to Imax theaters?

He used to want to boink her. And combined with his being bat poo poo crazy, it was really. loving, Creepy. In the Paul Jenkins Inhumans run, it was so drat bad I quickly started to dread whenever he was on-panel as it were. He got phased out of Medusa-boinking, I hope because they realized they crossed a line, I cannot overstate this enough. Urgh.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Some early reviews coming out about Inhumans and folks, it's not pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

Some early reviews coming out about Inhumans and folks, it's not pretty.

I'm shocked. :geno: