Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Haha, so I'd just finished the cleanup from the psychic ship, next day: mechanoid raid.

Ah gently caress, really? OK, get everyone into position and wait. Don't fire a shot because they split up and both got instakilled by a single steel deadfall trap on different entrances :getin: I didn't even know they could die to one, the worst I've seen is losing an eye or arm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
Is the mood bonus really worth the massive wastes of space that people make of bedrooms?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Lunethex posted:

Is the mood bonus really worth the massive wastes of space that people make of bedrooms?

Not to my mind. I generally give them 3x4s which is enough to avoid the cramped room penalty but not big enough for the spacious bonus. You can still easily get an solid impressive bedroom bonus out of a 3x4 once your colony gets richer and you can afford to put a stone sculpture, a well crafted wooden bed, and maybe a couple silver floor tiles.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
yeah, i've been going with 13x13 cubes for my modular expansions, and for a block of apartments i'll break the cube into 4 parts, which basically makes a 6x6 apartment. i prefer to go a little bit bigger because i eschew single beds completely.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I make my bedrooms 7x9 w/ a double bed. I carve out a hallway of 3 tiles and then make 3-4 on each side.

Why yes, it does take me forever and a day to get my underground base up and running.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I’ve got three bedroom types:
1) General barracks. All single beds, for those not in a relationship and not in a leadership role. Since I try to get every bed at least excellent, as well as being somewhat huge (11x20 or something, but often there are L bends or U shapes to be creative), and including a bunch of furniture, I can easily get it to unbelievably impressive which gives everyone +1 mood. There are usually a few 2 person tables, dressers, and end tables (from 1 mod) to help break the monotony of small tables and chairs, as well as provide bonuses to comfort and sleep.

2) Standard private room. All double beds, usually 6x7, with an end table and dresser. Eventually a two person table and a sculpture or painting.

3) Leader rooms. Usually about 150 tiles with a variety of shapes. Royal bed, dresser, end table, end table lamp, two person table. This colony I plan to have attached private bathrooms with jade bathtubs and silver toilets. I have the Leadership mod.

With the pregnancy mod, I’ve added a new room, which is a variation on the barracks - the kid’s room. Several single beds, a few cribs, chess table, horse shoe pin, attached bathroom, several small tables with chairs, and a small refrigerator. Toddlers are limited to that room, which is next to the teaching room from the leadership mod so they go take part in lessons. I don’t know if they’re actually going to have skill or what, the first kid is not yet a year old. Older kids also live in that room, but my 8+ year olds (I’ve got three I’ve recruited from a raids) also do general work... including one who has a knack for research and tradesnoff with head researcher

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
I got the mod that reduces the size of a room a pawn needs.

They know they're trapped on an planet. Luxuries like 30x30 rooms are not important.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Pregnancy mod is sad making when one of the colonists had a break and knifes the kids.

Not because the kids die, mind you, but because my perfectly 100% happy colony is no longer a sea of full blue happy bars.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

IAmTheRad posted:

I got the mod that reduces the size of a room a pawn needs.

They know they're trapped on an planet. Luxuries like 30x30 rooms are not important.

Unless I'm literally eating berries and straining water through my underwear, I want a decent bedroom, hth.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The scale of the game isn't really exact. If a single bed is 1x2 and a double bed 2x2 that would make something like a 4x4 room a fairly normal 10x10 foot bedroom. I like that mod because it makes the sizes much more reasonable and "realistic" to my mind. What the default game thinks is a "spacious" bedroom would probably be bigger than my whole apartment. 4x5 is plenty big, luxurious even.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
They don't really care how big the room is though, just how impressive it is (I don't think you get cramped space moodlets while sleeping anymore, right?). Making the room big just serves to distract them from the fact that's it a dirt floored hovel with a corrugated steel roof and walls set up by that guy with the missing arm, 1 skill and no passion for construction who failed three times before finally managing to cobble something together that wouldn't collapse under its own weight.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I'm going off memory but is the best way to get rid of colonists to build a "jail" on the edge of the map with a door kept open and let them escape? I have a few....under performing colonists that I would like to quietly encourage to go somewhere else and if I can avoid the mood hit I'd like to.

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Just send them on a dick Cheney style hunting trip, this isn't hard.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

misguided rage posted:

They don't really care how big the room is though, just how impressive it is (I don't think you get cramped space moodlets while sleeping anymore, right?). Making the room big just serves to distract them from the fact that's it a dirt floored hovel with a corrugated steel roof and walls set up by that guy with the missing arm, 1 skill and no passion for construction who failed three times before finally managing to cobble something together that wouldn't collapse under its own weight.
The way the impressiveness formula works it's much easier to improve if you make the worst part better. After a certain point trading space for wealth/beauty (by adding statues) can actually lower the impressiveness of the room.

That said you can get pretty dang impressive with 5x5 or 6x6 rooms.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

misguided rage posted:

you do get a moodlet for a spacious room but it's only +5 and drops off once they leave the room.

+5 would be great if it stuck around for a few hours afterward so people got their mornings off on the right foot or something but that's unfortunately not the case.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It begins.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Beginning of year three and all I've got so far is a mysterious fog event that mutated one tree to grow tiberium pods and apparently attract infected animals to wander around the map. They're not aggressive like I thought they would be. I just toggled them to be hunted like normal and added their meat to the pile.

The tiberium research station is friggin huge. It can be used as a normal research station when it's built, including sticking the expansion research station thingy on to it.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I played the Tiberium mod pretty much all day saturday and I keep only getting Green tiberium events. Kind of lame you need all three types before you can actually do anything with it.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Spring of year three and all I have is one green pod tree or whatever. Only reason I could even build the research station was because I purchased some crystals off a trader.

A really slow introduction is cool for something that can take over the entire map I guess, just maybe not this slow and gated behind other events so hard?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

misguided rage posted:

Impressiveness is basically the lowest of space, beauty, cleanliness, and how much wealth is in it. The calculation is complicated but basically it works out that whichever one is lowest drags the rest down to its level quite strongly. So to make a super duper impressive room efficiently, you need to make it reasonably sized. I manage fine with 6x6 rooms which is really just a habitation wing, not that hard.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

there's also a handful of considerations if you want to make your rooms maximally efficient. Pawns typically wake up at least hungry and frequently hungry and bored, so having a small table in their room will keep them happier if they're carrying a meal in their inventory (let's be real - they are). A chessboard also allows them to get their joy up right then and there so they leave their rooms with a smile. So I will frequently put a small table in the room, put one chair at it, and then put a chessboard next to the chair. About half the pawns in the colony will wake up, eat in their rooms, and immediately turn around to play chess for a bit before leaving to work, all smiles.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I didn't realise that in the latest alpha, visitors you rescue can join the colony out of gratitude. Does that extend to raiders you patch up?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Out of gratitude? No. Standard prisoner recruitment, though I’ve noticed that the built rapport no longer stays when they join the colony, so they basically insta-hate everyone due to “faction imprisoned me” which kinda sucks for the Leadership mod.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is there anything I can do when someone visits with a relationship of one of my colonists to recruit them that doesn't make me a horrible monster? If so-and-so's significant other visits I'd like to convert them without having to knock them out with a baseball bat, imprison them, and gradually convince them to join me instead.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

explosivo posted:

Is there anything I can do when someone visits with a relationship of one of my colonists to recruit them that doesn't make me a horrible monster? If so-and-so's significant other visits I'd like to convert them without having to knock them out with a baseball bat, imprison them, and gradually convince them to join me instead.

this is supposed to be on the roadmap for the game but right now this is not a thing.

the reality of the situation is that relationships mean gently caress-all right now so only pay attention to them for roleplay reasons.

Walton Simons posted:

I didn't realise that in the latest alpha, visitors you rescue can join the colony out of gratitude. Does that extend to raiders you patch up?
attackers will never join the colony naturally and cannot even be 'rescued' from their wounds.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

explosivo posted:

The hospitality mod does have an option to try and recruit visitors. This apparently gives a faction hit and the person being recruited has to have 2 friends in the colony already or some such. I'm not sure if it works, I only tried to enable it once when one of my colonists started a relationship with a random visitor. This group left about 30 seconds afterwards so I didn't get a chance to try and recruit them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Psychology and recruiting visitors totally works - it’s the best way of recruiting people who don’t immediately hate everyone in the colony upon joining.

My last colony I recruited all 3 of a visiting party and then used the stuff they dropped to finance their faction being neutral again.

Edit: remember to have about 1/4 to 1/3 your colony with good social if you want to recruit via hospitality, and put negotiate as a high priority. It does mean that, when a large group visits your colony, you can lose a lot of work time as your social colonists wander in a pack from visitor to visitor charming (or offending) them. Rarely I’ve run into a bug where the social pack ends up glitching one visitor who will freeze in place and be unable to be fully interacted with and things get... stuck. Recently that’s happened far, far less so was probably mostly fixed.

And occasionally, if a visitor sees you trying to recruit their buddy they’ll get an impression hit for trying to “steal” one of their fellows.

HelloSailorSign fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 23, 2017

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I've taken to drafting, positioning, pausing, then ambushing visitors with blunt weapons. Survivors are loaded into living batteries. Items are sold for silver to get more visitors. It's like fight club meets the matrix.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I'm afraid to ask what a "living battery" is in-game and how it's made... :stonklol:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Siets posted:

I'm afraid to ask what a "living battery" is in-game and how it's made... :stonklol:

Had to look this up and, uh, yeah that looks like a mod worth checking out.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Siets posted:

https://theinfosphere.org/Near-Death_Star

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

This is amazing. I need to get around to actually watching all of Futurama.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

explosivo posted:

Had to look this up and, uh, yeah that looks like a mod worth checking out.

It's a cool mod!

I use it for several purposes. For my colonists that are either injured beyond repair or rescues that are useless, they go into the battery and I can extract at least some use out of them. For tribals that are way too hard to convert, into the ole' energizer they go. I did mod the cost/power though, 300 steel and 12 components for 300 power is pretty goddamn expensive; I changed it to be 150 steel and 3 components for 200 power.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I've started mass growing :420: so I can just keep my colonists high all the loving time and ignore happiness mechanics.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

ugh its Troika posted:

I've started mass growing :420: so I can just keep my colonists high all the loving time and ignore happiness mechanics.

Enjoy your pan-colony carcinomas in eight months.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Also I hope your turrets can defend and you don't have to rely on high as gently caress colonists shooting things. It's nice to have smokeleaf around though for that dude who's son in the colony dies and then a few days later he blows up his mom with a mortar when she raids.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Arven posted:

I played the Tiberium mod pretty much all day saturday and I keep only getting Green tiberium events. Kind of lame you need all three types before you can actually do anything with it.

bird food bathtub posted:

Spring of year three and all I have is one green pod tree or whatever. Only reason I could even build the research station was because I purchased some crystals off a trader.

A really slow introduction is cool for something that can take over the entire map I guess, just maybe not this slow and gated behind other events so hard?

I've taken to setting up my own tiberium grow op for red. I took the case I got from a trader and blew it up with a grenade to scatter the crystals. Now I just gotta let it grow.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
How is the Tiberium mod? I remember reading about having to choose between GDI and NOD and it felt sorta overcomplicated and overengineered. At the same time I'm already combining cyborg eldritch mutants and genetic horrors, so at this point it's sorta in for a penny on smashing terrifying settings into one colony

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

it strikes me that a communal LP of a half-dozen people all showing off their various mod setups (with one person rolling vanilla for comparison) would be incredibly entertaining.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Danaru posted:

How is the Tiberium mod? I remember reading about having to choose between GDI and NOD and it felt sorta overcomplicated and overengineered. At the same time I'm already combining cyborg eldritch mutants and genetic horrors, so at this point it's sorta in for a penny on smashing terrifying settings into one colony

There is a mod setting that lets you go up both tech trees without penalty. Nod's tech generally makes your pawns handle tiberium better, while GDI tech lets you keep the tiberium contained. Or that's my impression anyway. I bought tib infusions for my plant cutters so they can harvest it without turning into visceroids.

fake edit: It also might be the most interesting of the renewable resources mods, seeing as there is a very direct set of drawbacks to having lots of Tiberium around. Ion Storms are a flash storm and a solar flare in the same package, not to mention that if you really get it growing it can be a pain to contain. My animals aren't allowed into the Tiberium zone because they contract poisoning very quickly. On the other hand, I'm basically growing plasteel and, once my red field matures, uranium and gold.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Oct 24, 2017