Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
Is there a Dwarf Therapist for the 64bit WIndows version yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Mu. posted:

Is there a Dwarf Therapist for the 64bit WIndows version yet?

It looks like it, yeah. Take your current version and stick in the right memory layout map so it knows where to latch on.

I'm sorry for not keeping up with things, my life sort of imploded and I've had to tread water for a bit.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Seems legit.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

"loving amateur, I should be teaching this" - said the axe lord vampirishly

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

scamtank posted:

It looks like it, yeah. Take your current version and stick in the right memory layout map so it knows where to latch on.

I'm sorry for not keeping up with things, my life sort of imploded and I've had to tread water for a bit.

Nah that one's just for the 32 bit version.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Mu. posted:

Nah that one's just for the 32 bit version.

Well gently caress. :( Sorry about that.

Looking at the github home of DT source code, only the Linux version of 64!43.05 appears to have a layout so far.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
do i want to dual-boot to linux just to play dwarf fortress but fast

decisions, decisions

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Honky Dong Country posted:

"loving amateur, I should be teaching this" - said the axe lord vampirishly

Pff. He may have centuries of experience, but he only bites people who are sleeping. Biting people who are awake and fighting back is a whole nother level.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I'll admit most of the fort are inexperienced biters since I dropped that vampire down the well :v:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

I'll admit most of the fort are inexperienced biters since I dropped that vampire down the well :v:

Who do your dwarf vampires drink blood from when everyone's a vampire?

I know they don't NEED to feed. But don't they slow down pretty significantly without feeding?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Close to 200 dwarves in the fort and only half are vampires. There's a crime wave of unsolved murders that the vampire captain of the guard is too busy attending parties to solve. Every so often a fresh batch of food migrants shows up.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

scamtank posted:

uuuh is this the same thing as lazy newb pack?
I got it back after a couple years and it seems way different.
Like there's some kind of utility I never used, like "dwarf hack" or something, that replaces Dwarf Therapist and removes having to assign jobs at all. Is it any good?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

uuuh is this the same thing as lazy newb pack?
I got it back after a couple years and it seems way different.
Like there's some kind of utility I never used, like "dwarf hack" or something, that replaces Dwarf Therapist and removes having to assign jobs at all. Is it any good?

DFHack has both autolabor, which automatically assigns jobs to dwarves that need doing, and labormanager, which does the same thing except labor manager will make it so jobs get done no matter the skill of the dwarf. Autolabor is slightly better as you can use the autolabor-artisans command to make it so only the highest skilled dwarves do some jobs instead of just getting the job done NOW.
For example, with autolabor-artisans and the autolabor plugin enabled, it will choose a grandmaster armorsmith to make a piece of armor. labormanager will just go 'that dwarf is idle!' and choose someone with no skill whatsoever to make the armor.

Keep in mind that DFHack for 43.05 is still considered Alpha.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

IAmTheRad posted:

labormanager will just go 'that dwarf is idle!' and choose someone with no skill whatsoever to make the armor.

:ussr:

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

IAmTheRad posted:

DFHack has both autolabor, which automatically assigns jobs to dwarves that need doing, and labormanager, which does the same thing except labor manager will make it so jobs get done no matter the skill of the dwarf. Autolabor is slightly better as you can use the autolabor-artisans command to make it so only the highest skilled dwarves do some jobs instead of just getting the job done NOW.
For example, with autolabor-artisans and the autolabor plugin enabled, it will choose a grandmaster armorsmith to make a piece of armor. labormanager will just go 'that dwarf is idle!' and choose someone with no skill whatsoever to make the armor.

Keep in mind that DFHack for 43.05 is still considered Alpha.

if no skilled dwarves are available, with autolabor assigned a less skilled dwarf, or leave me with 100 unskilled migrants drinking beer and getting in fights?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Ideally I'd like to just periodically eyeball some dwarves and be pleased they're all becoming ultra grandmaster of poo poo they enjoy, while all jobs are being done and everyone has some kinda job to do for the fort. Labor assignments suck poo poo once you get past like 19 dwarves.

I got my first migrant who appears to be a basic bookmaker with literally no other skills. I think I'm going to bore out all the pillars in the caverns and fill them with libraries.

Is there a good starter guide anymore? Because I don't remember libraries being a thing and also there's apparently temples and poo poo out now.

Unrelated but one of the things I like to do is work around gem deposits and put sweet engravings on the smoothed tiger iron floors and stuff.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

RFC2324 posted:

if no skilled dwarves are available, with autolabor assigned a less skilled dwarf, or leave me with 100 unskilled migrants drinking beer and getting in fights?

Autolabor-artisans will assign the highest skilled dwarf of a particular craft, as long as you use the proper filters. The 'recommended' default is 'autolabor-artisans 0 2 3'

Of course, these autolabor plugins don't support custom professions.

I seriously can't deal with the micromanaging of dwarf therapist. Let the dwarves figure out who wants to do a job. I just choose the jobs I want them to do.
Of course I also assign their military. Gotta have a squad of weak armor users in full plate tripping over themselves trying to chase down a kobold.

ToadyOne 01/17/2017 posted:

I went ahead and added the ability for player adventurers to assume identities today. You can't pretend to be specific historical figures or deities, but you can be pick a name, profession, origin civilization and object of worship. All positive and negative reputations will be associated to that identity for as long as you assume it, unless you screw up. You can have multiple identities and flip between them (or return to your true identity). I'm still patching up some weird behaviors, but we're almost out of this specific identity grind now.

IAmTheRad fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jan 19, 2017

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
How do I say Nobody in Elvish?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I am reading Robinson Crusoe for a seminar.

I just got to this part:

"...yet the young cats were the same kind of house breed like the old one; and both my cats being females, I thought it very strange: But from these three cats, I afterwards came to be so pester'd with cats, that I was forc'd to kill them like vermin..."

I think Daniel Defoe would have really like Dwarf Fortress.

Iunnrais
Jul 25, 2007

It's gaelic.

So Math posted:

How do I say Nobody in Elvish?

The language files don't have a specific "nobody", nor does it have the word "no" (or yes, for that matter), so you need to get a little creative. Let's assume that the language entry for "Negator" isn't simply the english word negator, but refers to being a grammatical negator, like the english prefixes ""un-" "in-" "a-" etc. In that case, the elven negator prefix would be "Ocithe", and body is "Thite". So "Ocithe thite" could work, or if you wanted to get fancy and conlangy, maybe try mushing the two words togethers as "Ocithite"? Alternatively, you could try thinking like an elf, and instead of using "body" like English does, use another word instead, like "life"... no-life would be "Ocithe Eniwa" or "Ocitheniwa" when mushed together. Or if elves are patryarchal, and assume that the language file's entry for "man" just means "male" and not "human", you could do "Ocithe Onino" for no-man ("Ocithe Ÿariwi" for no-woman).

Lots of options.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Got back into this( God help me!), and just downloaded the latest LNP as I used to, but now Dwarf Therapist seems to be broken? Labors assigned to dwarves don't stick, reverting or being randomly assigned all over my population whenever I press the load dwarves button!? Also, only two dwarves start being assigned all hauling labors, and they revert to them when I press the load dwarves button :confused:

ACRE & EQUAT
Aug 28, 2004

FUNERAL BREADS
WAR BREAD
do you have automatic job assignments enabled in dfhack?

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

Iunnrais posted:

Lots of options.

:golfclap: I had fun reading that. Now it's time to blind some elves and hide in their tree houses.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
this game is so much more chill when you just enable autolabor

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ACRE & EQUAT posted:

do you have automatic job assignments enabled in dfhack?

Yeah, that was it! Thanks :)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

IronicDongz posted:

this game is so much more chill when you just enable autolabor

this probably has something to do with being the kind of person who finds dwarf fortress appealing in the first place but nah, i actually find it oddly comforting to have a fort where all the labor is carefully assigned to a specific dwarf by hand

i typically run microforts and have one dwarf per skilled profession though, which makes it rather less of an issue than for folks who feel like they need the full 200 dwarf bonanza

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

this probably has something to do with being the kind of person who finds dwarf fortress appealing in the first place but nah, i actually find it oddly comforting to have a fort where all the labor is carefully assigned to a specific dwarf by hand

I have predefined professions that I assign to dwarves as they show up, based on need. Any extra dwarves are assigned as "Laborer", who have all the hauling jobs plus engraving (for mass floor smoothing). Doesn't matter much to me what a dwarf did before moving to the fortress. "You were a soaper? Good for you. Here's your axe, Treeslayer."

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i typically run microforts and have one dwarf per skilled profession though, which makes it rather less of an issue than for folks who feel like they need the full 200 dwarf bonanza

if you aren't managing 200 dwarves by hand, I don't know what to tell you.

Other than enjoy sanity and not fighting retard plagues.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Anybody know what the utility is called that can be used to see all the stones on a z-level? :ninja:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Anybody know what the utility is called that can be used to see all the stones on a z-level? :ninja:

http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html#revforget

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.
It's been hilarious to read the dwarf fortress stories here! Used to use Dwarf Therapist but there was still a lot of micro management. I never really got into using DFHack but it looks like a lot of the automation and especially the FPS improvements are incredibly useful. Thanks to the folks who have linked to the documentation in this thread!

Does anyone know of good tutorials for using things like autolabor and workflow, or a good way to turn on all the time/FPS saving options like the deteriorate scripts?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yo DF Goons, long time DF player that hasn't touched the game since around when vampires were first added in. Even after playing the game religiously since it was on a 2d plane and learning every new interface and feature, somehow the game just reached a point where the controls/interface/graphics were so cumbersome I couldn't take it anymore, and it seemed like toady was only interested in jamming more and more weird features into the game rather than fixing existing problems.

I'm really wanting to try to jump back in, but it's obviously been a long time. What's the current state of the game? I've read the wiki and devblog but it's hard to really get a sense of the current "meta" of the game. I just want to build a cool underground town and spoil my happy dwarfs and maybe shoot at some monsters from behind the safety of walls and traps.

The idea that I need to run a bunch of utilities and scrips and poo poo to have any chance to properly manage the game seems like a big turnoff. Like toady, if your interface is so bad people need to do this maybe spend a year making the interface good instead of adding in physics simulation for the layers of dentin in vampire teeth which require a ground-up reworking of the worldgen system.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 22, 2017

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
just go get PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack and you'll be fine, DFhack is part of it and you can easily toggle things on and off in it through the launcher

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Baronjutter posted:

Yo DF Goons, long time DF player that hasn't touched the game since around when vampires were first added in. Even after playing the game religiously since it was on a 2d plane and learning every new interface and feature, somehow the game just reached a point where the controls/interface/graphics were so cumbersome I couldn't take it anymore, and it seemed like toady was only interested in jamming more and more weird features into the game rather than fixing existing problems.

I'm really wanting to try to jump back in, but it's obviously been a long time. What's the current state of the game? I've read the wiki and devblog but it's hard to really get a sense of the current "meta" of the game. I just want to build a cool underground town and spoil my happy dwarfs and maybe shoot at some monsters from behind the safety of walls and traps.

The idea that I need to run a bunch of utilities and scrips and poo poo to have any chance to properly manage the game seems like a big turnoff. Like toady, if your interface is so bad people need to do this maybe spend a year making the interface good instead of adding in physics simulation for the layers of dentin in vampire teeth which require a ground-up reworking of the worldgen system.

To be fair, the playable game called Dwarf Fortress is more of a side-effect of Toady making a myth&legend generator/simulator than an actual focus of his efforts most of the time. :v:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
absolutely hate dwarves just leaving food to rot in kitchens. why is this low priority

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
I use autolabor and just set a workshop or two of each type to minimum Adept skill level and use that when I care about the quality of the poo poo they crank out, and I love it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my dad posted:

To be fair, the playable game called Dwarf Fortress is more of a side-effect of Toady making a myth&legend generator/simulator than an actual focus of his efforts most of the time. :v:

I thought this was true from day one as well. Toady is just an insane autist making a world simulator that just happens to be playable as a game(sorta)

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

RFC2324 posted:

I thought this was true from day one as well. Toady is just an insane autist making a world simulator that just happens to be playable as a game(sorta)

He's a pretty normal guy in a lot of ways, he seems a little more odd these days because he's found a way to get paid to work on his strangest obsession for ten years, but he's honestly not that odd.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

shovelbum posted:

He's a pretty normal guy in a lot of ways, he seems a little more odd these days because he's found a way to get paid to work on his strangest obsession for ten years, but he's honestly not that odd.

I'm actually just referring to the development of df. It is how it has come across every time i have checked it out over the years.

I'm also not criticizing, i think it's pretty awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
If anything Toady has seemed to me more well-balanced lately. He's appeared in a few public podcasts and events and stuff and surprised me with how normal he is. I'd probably be less mentally sound if I sat in a dark room coding dwarves into existence for hours on end.