Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

PostNouveau posted:

And everybody faces the Tower with the Horns up for the playing of the alma mater, even when the Tower isn't around, like in Dallas you'd all face southwest.

I have never seen anyone do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

I have never seen anyone do this

:shrug: Maybe it's fallen off. Definitely used to do it in DKR and the Cotton Bowl back when I was going to games.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
Working in higher education, I can't help but be jealous of the institutions with massive fuckoff endowments. There are a lot of institutions with relatively tiny endowments which are essentially completely tuition driven that struggle to get by. Definitely glad to see more of that massive endowment money going towards students and economic diversity.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Marxalot posted:

Yeah, but if you go to A&M then you're forced to drive a lifted F250 and pretend to give a poo poo about college football for the rest of your life.

F-250? What are you, a lady? :clint:

fake edit: also lol if you think they're pretending to care about college football

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

:shrug: Maybe it's fallen off. Definitely used to do it in DKR and the Cotton Bowl back when I was going to games.

UT traditions matter on football game days and absolutely no other time. Really, as Austin has grown over the last 20 years UT has become a smaller and smaller part of the city’s culture, so UT traditions carry even less weight than they used to.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

fake edit: also lol if you think they're pretending to care about college football

Yeah they don't care about anything else.

I'm from Bryan and I can tell you that there is nothing in CS besides things that are somehow related to A&M

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Dameius posted:

My buddy who was a year ahead of me did go corps and was in process of failing out of A&M due to exhaustion until leadership stepped in and made the sophmores chill the gently caress out and give people time to study and sleep without interruption. He had basically never gotten less than an A in his life until then.

Let me unpack this. The Sophomores in the Corps of Cadets are the ones responsible for administering discipline and physical training on the Freshman (fish). One of the arbitrary rules in the Corps, at least at that time, was/is that fish are not allowed to display the class year (eg: 08, 10, 20, etc..) of the Sophomores on anything they own because they haven't earned that right. Everyone used Kiwi shoe shine to polish their leather and on the tins that the shoe shine came in, it had the company's established year on it. The last two of that number matched the class year of the Sophomores, so to not violate the above rule, the fish would have had to black out those two numbers.

Since none of them did, they were breaking a sacred rule and so the Sophomores were punishing them with physical training (smoking) in the hallways of the barracks they were in. The PT was so intense and went on for so long, that the entire hallway was covered in sweat and became a tripping hazard, so they had to put down wet floor signs everywhere.

This was seen as both good and necessary to instill Esprit de Corps and discipline among the fish, and that the fish were rightfully at fault for failing to proactively black out the sacred numbers.

Also nothing about this was seen as weird or bad and was treated as totally a normal thing to do on a random Thursday night in the middle of a semester.

This is probably just my ODD/failure to socialize/bitter nerd talking, but this sort abusive nonsense you see in large swathes of society just enrages me. Eat my rear end, I'd rather be an outsider than submit to that horseshit

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

This is probably just my ODD/failure to socialize/bitter nerd talking, but this sort abusive nonsense you see in large swathes of society just enrages me. Eat my rear end, I'd rather be an outsider than submit to that horseshit

The biggest problem with poo poo like that as far as it happening at A&M is that it is basically, "what if boot camp lasted an academic year and also you had to do a full university course load on top of it," which is deeply flawed. Add on top of that a poo poo ton of crab mentality of if the upper classmen had to do it, then the fish don't get to complain, and so on.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

PostNouveau posted:

There are dumb traditions at UT, like if anyone asks you the time you respond "It's (time), and OU still sucks". And everybody faces the Tower with the Horns up for the playing of the alma mater, even when the Tower isn't around, like in Dallas you'd all face southwest.

But every college has that poo poo. It's the nerdiest thing to carry a book of them around and create a Traditions Council and a bunch of YouTube explainers, my god.

i mean at OU we just went to class idk

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

You got a lotta nerve showing your face in here pal, after going to the shcool you did

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if i walk on the grass do i just get yelled at or do i get physically attacked

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

i say swears online posted:

Depends on the grass and what tree its under

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

zoux posted:

Depends on the grass and what tree its under

Over here in DC there’s been some controversy as new (predominantly white) residents are moving next to the Howard University campus and they have been walking their dogs on the “piece of grass our school has randomly decided to call sacred”. It’s kind of become a proxy-fight for gentrification in general, but I can’t help but compare it to A&M’s ridiculousness even if the Howard kids have a better argument.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

corn in the bible posted:

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't forget this is gem from the 1990s, when it was topical:

Q) What's the difference between an Aggie and a Boy Scout?

Spacehams
Jun 3, 2007

sometimes people are mean, and I think they should try being nice
Grimey Drawer

i say swears online posted:

You will be chased with swords.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

jesus christ

youtube comment posted:

The senior cadet's name is Greg Hood. He was class of '81 in Squadron "Gator" 2 and he was a bit if a hero. It probably wasn't the smartest move on his part but it was his and his buddies' job as Officers of the Day to keep opposing teams off the field as all were well informed of the rule regardless of whether Kyle Field was a memorial field or not.
The next year Rice totally screwed the Aggie band by blowing counter march whistle commands at the wrong time which totally fowled up the drill. The band literally stopped thier ruined drill and walked off the field. It was painful to watch. That was much worse than the sabor debacle. So much so that the Rice "Mob" band sort of apologized the following year when the were in College Station.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
It would be loving hilarious to watch a military-style band that's half taking the wrong orders. Trombones to faces, sousaphones slapping together, flutes getting bowled over. Then they just give up and leave.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Rice band loving owns

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

PostNouveau posted:

There are dumb traditions at UT, like if anyone asks you the time you respond "It's (time), and OU still sucks". And everybody faces the Tower with the Horns up for the playing of the alma mater, even when the Tower isn't around, like in Dallas you'd all face southwest.

But every college has that poo poo. It's the nerdiest thing to carry a book of them around and create a Traditions Council and a bunch of YouTube explainers, my god.

The first is a thing that lasts for freshman orientation and on UT dad facebook. I've never even heard of the second.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sab0921 posted:

The first is a thing that lasts for freshman orientation and on UT dad facebook. I've never even heard of the second.

Hey man you dissing UT dad facebook?

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

PostNouveau posted:

Hey man you dissing UT dad facebook?

UT dad facebook is one of the few things that brings me genuine joy in this world. Everyone is so happy to dress their kids in orange and post videos of them learning the hook em' sign - it's a beautiful thing.

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug
what happens if the kid doesn't get in

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Kunabomber posted:

what happens if the kid doesn't get in

If white - blame black people, sue and take to the supreme court

If minority - go to UH, UTSA, or UT-Arlington, but tell people it's because they want to be close to home.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Sab0921 posted:

If white - blame black people, sue and take to the supreme court

If minority - go to UH, UTSA, or UT-Arlington, but tell people it's because they want to be close to home.

Its great that UTD was forgotten about as a safety feeder school in this example.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I went to UH from '14-'17 and I'm pretty sure it was still a commuter school, I don't care how many dorms they've built

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Dameius posted:

Its great that UTD was forgotten about as a safety feeder school in this example.

Same with UTRGV

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

I went to UH from '14-'17 and I'm pretty sure it was still a commuter school, I don't care how many dorms they've built

Senator Warren, welcome

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, most Aggie jokes are just repurposed redneck jokes. Just like most of the jokes Aggies make about UT are just repurposed gay jokes.

Yeah I went to Clemson and the same sort of thing was true in SC. Clemson jokes were just hurt dumb rednecks and USC (now UofSC because they were mad about always getting mistaken for SoCal lol) jokes were just about how effeminate/yuppie they supposedly were. Pretty true whenever there is a rural/urban rivalry I think.

That said even though Clemson was a football-obsessed ag-school in the middle of nowhere and had a military history (my dorm room still had the gun rack for the cadets' rifles ffs) there's absolutely nothing like the A&M cult poo poo there.

There is however a cow with a hole in the side of it.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
There is the story of the A&M student who was accidentally trampled to death at an UT/A&M game which pissed Aggies off so much they were basically stopped at the College Station rail stop from going to Austin to torch the entire city to the ground. That was from somewhere in the 30-50s when it happened. It was one of the pieces of lore they proudly told to prospective students about how much A&M is a cool place to join.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Quote =/= Edit

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Same with UTD

(Though the amount of 'commuters' who commute 30m+ has dropped like a rock last I was there. All the new kids have to stay in those dorms, though im pretty sure the occupancy of the non-freshman ones are super low)

Kunabomber
Oct 1, 2002

Pillbug

Dameius posted:

I thought that was UNT

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Isn’t UNT for theater nerds

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Going to A&M for grad school is a bizarre experience.

It has one of the best veterinary schools in the country though, which is cool.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

Jiro posted:

Same with UTRGV

It will always me Pan Am to me.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Bizarro Watt posted:

Going to A&M for grad school is a bizarre experience.

It has one of the best veterinary schools in the country though, which is cool.

TEEX at A&M is like the top fire and emergency response training center in the world, they helped a lot with Harvey

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

Isn’t UNT for theater nerds

AND music nerds

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

PostNouveau posted:

AND music nerds

Ah, Bruce Hall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Sab0921 posted:

It will always me Pan Am to me.

Pan Am was Edinburg. UTRGV is the old UTB down by Fort Brown.