Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone seen wifi issues on the Nexus 5X or 6P? I have a brand new 5X, and randomly the wifi gets stuck in weird, incredibly slow states. My normal speed is around 50-60 both directions (on my laptop and such).

I woke up this morning and my 5X seemed extremely slow. Opening a webpage or the youtube my subscriptions list would take forever or just freeze and never do anything. I did a speed test and got 7.78 down 20.12 up, which was strange. The download speed was jerky & started fast but then slowed down massively.

I reset the wifi and got a good test at 40/20.

Went to work, and came home, did a new test and got 20/1.33, and the upload basically dropped to 0 at the end.
Ran a second test and got 2.94/0.10

Reset the wifi and got 27/18

I tried setting it to force 2.4Ghz (though actually my router doesn't even have 5Ghz).

Looking online I see dozens of other people with issues dating back to the Nexus 5, but the 'solutions' are always just random crap blaming everything under the sun. My Nexus 4 never had any problems ever, my tablet and laptops never have issues either.

Speed tests I've tried on my wifes also brand new 5X are erratic, though I haven't seen it get stuck in quite as bad of a state.

My Nexus 5x seems to hate my routers 5GHz wifi. Sometimes it works great and sometimes it reconnects every 20 seconds. Every other device including a Nexus 7 and two Chromecast do fine. Reverted back to using the 5x with the 2.4 GHz band and all works well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
My partner is having a problem with her Moto G. The battery is emptying really quickly on its own and the phone's claiming that the Gmail app is the problem using up to 70 percent of the battery. Has anyone encountered this before?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

Had the 6.0.1 OTA hit my (unbranded) Nexus 6 on VZW this morning.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Wow, is Verizon really catching on?

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Safe and Secure! posted:

Actually, it looks like the 5X has a similar amount of RAM to my 2013 Moto X. Is the 5X's CPU a vast improvement of that of the 2013 Moto X? Because it seems like Android gets more and more resource-hungry with each release, to the point that I wouldn't be guaranteed that it wouldn't take forever to load the home screen a few times a day.

Yes, it's quite responsive the majority of the time.

Grimshak
Oct 8, 2013

I know you need the meat, girl, but damn.
Has anyone seen an issue with Nexus 6's with the speakers? Mine likes to spit weird sound out occasionally and produces a buzzing noise depending on whats on-screen.

I already have a replacement coming from Amazon today (which, they treated like a new order so I may not need to send in my old one :dance:), but I'm worried its just a known issue with all of em.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
No issues on mine (6.0.1 if it matters)

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
I just got the 6.0.1 update on my Nexus 5x...on Verizon.

Hail unlocked phones (and Satan).

Padawan
Nov 27, 2014

Characters on my S4 are randomly turning to squares for titles/my keypad. You can see it in notifications and titles of applications on either all the characters or just a random number of them. Restarting my phone fixes this temporary but over time they start to change in increments before all being squares again (most notably my keypad).

Here's what it looks like on a notification and my keypad:

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Bricklord posted:

Characters on my S4 are randomly turning to squares for titles/my keypad. You can see it in notifications and titles of applications on either all the characters or just a random number of them. Restarting my phone fixes this temporary but over time they start to change in increments before all being squares again (most notably my keypad).

Here's what it looks like on a notification and my keypad:

This is a bug with the s4, I had it happen to me when I had one. Verizon actually released a patch to fix this issue a few months ago FWIW, so chances are your carrier didn't approve the patch for it yet.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Hey everyone, I just got an OTA on my at&t nexus 6!

It's the December security patch. Still lollipop.

F4rt5
May 20, 2006

Rescue Toaster posted:

Has anyone seen wifi issues on the Nexus 5X or 6P? I have a brand new 5X, and randomly the wifi gets stuck in weird, incredibly slow states. My normal speed is around 50-60 both directions (on my laptop and such).

I woke up this morning and my 5X seemed extremely slow. Opening a webpage or the youtube my subscriptions list would take forever or just freeze and never do anything. I did a speed test and got 7.78 down 20.12 up, which was strange. The download speed was jerky & started fast but then slowed down massively.
I use my 5X as a hotspot, since there is no internet in this flat I'm in currently. Sometimes the devices connected to its shared WiFi get dog slow access even though the phone itself is fast and speed tests show between 40 and 130 Mbit over LTE. Haven't seen a clear pattern yet, though.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug
Can someone explain to me what to buy for USB-C chargers? With my Nexus 6, I know there were "Fast chargers" from third parties, and I bought a few Anker ones that worked well.

Now for USB-C for my 5x, I know that you have to watch out for which cables to get to make sure they are in spec. Anker's are so I will probably get a few of them.

However, they don't mention anything about what sort of actual plug adapter is necessary. For the fast chargers on the 6 it was the actual plug that did the magic. Is there anything special I need to watch out for on the plug end for my 5x? Can I just use the same plugs as before?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chin Strap posted:

Can someone explain to me what to buy for USB-C chargers?
Only A-to-C cables have spec issues. You can safely buy any C-to-C cable without concern (at least to the extent that this is true of any cable, don't buy something that looks like it would catch fire).

For full speed charging you need a C-to-C cable and a compatible wall charger. There is a shortage of options for USB-C chargers right now, your best bet is probably the one on the Google Store.

You can use old chargers with an A-to-C cable as long as you buy an in-spec cable. Anker are fine. These will charge slower than USB-C but will still draw some additional power. I'm not sure exactly what this caps at.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

Tunga posted:

You can use old chargers with an A-to-C cable as long as you buy an in-spec cable. Anker are fine. These will charge slower than USB-C but will still draw some additional power. I'm not sure exactly what this caps at.

1.5A seems to be the limit for what I'm able to charge my 6P at using an Anker 60W 6-port charger and a (good) USB A to C cable.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

This morning my Moto X Pure (2014) received 6.0 Marshmallow.

Pros:
Seems to have fixed some graphical glitching I was getting on 5.1.

Cons:
Bluetooth connection to my Wear watch / Smart Lock stuff got all screwy. I had to clear it all out, re-pair, and set it up again.
Moto Display seems to be forced on now. I don't like it. If there's a way to turn that off please let me know.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

http://phandroid.com/2015/12/16/hangouts-losing-sms-rumor/

Current rumor, based on a version of hangouts that's being tested right now, is that it will lose SMS and MMS functionality and will instead steer people towards Google's Messenger app.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

bull3964 posted:

Current rumor, based on a version of hangouts that's being tested right now, is that it will lose SMS and MMS functionality and will instead steer people towards Google's Messenger app.

That's So Google

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Ugh loving hell.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
A big "gently caress you" to GV users who have to juggle between SMS and GV :argh:

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
So I'm reading all over that people are seeing Band 12 on their Nexus 5X/6P's after 6.0.1, but I have the update and I'm still only getting Band 4 according to the LTE Discovery app. When the hell is this gonna happen, drat

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

What is the point of Hangouts then?

gently caress that change. Merging poo poo into one service was awesome.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

This would absolutely suck. My parents use Hangouts for everything without any understanding of which protocol any given contact uses which is absolutely perfect. They are going to hate having to use multiple apps. A huge step backwards.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Doctor Butts posted:

What is the point of Hangouts then?

To kill Google Talk.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Rastor posted:

This morning my Moto X Pure (2014) received 6.0 Marshmallow.

Pros:
Seems to have fixed some graphical glitching I was getting on 5.1.

Cons:
Bluetooth connection to my Wear watch / Smart Lock stuff got all screwy. I had to clear it all out, re-pair, and set it up again.
Moto Display seems to be forced on now. I don't like it. If there's a way to turn that off please let me know.

Figured it out. You have to run the Moto app, allow it permissions or whatever it's bugging you for, and then there's Moto Display settings in there.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

This is terrible.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Yeah, some of the app permissions stuff on Marshmallow leads to crashes or just hidden functionality unless you manually add permissions.

For example, the Philips Hue app kept crashing when I tried to set a geofence. Then I finally realized that it probably didn't have location permission. After I went in and added it, it worked fine.

Trying to post a picture to Facebook from the share menu resulted in failure until I went into Facebook and added a picture there first, which then prompted me to give access to photos.

As for the hangouts thing, I say 'meh'. I long ago switched over to the Messenger client because using hangouts was a ball of suck when it came to SMS and MMS. The writing was on the wall as soon as they debuted a new messenger app.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

bull3964 posted:

As for the hangouts thing, I say 'meh'. I long ago switched over to the Messenger client because using hangouts was a ball of suck when it came to SMS and MMS. The writing was on the wall as soon as they debuted a new messenger app.

I don't understand why anyone is mad about this because the Hangouts app is a load of hot steaming poo poo compared to literally ANY other messaging app out there, INCLUDING Google Messenger.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Daily Forecast posted:

I don't understand why anyone is mad about this because the Hangouts app is a load of hot steaming poo poo compared to literally ANY other messaging app out there, INCLUDING Google Messenger.

It's trash but it's the only thing that works with GV SMS :negative:

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!
Because I use hangouts for GV SMS and as a fall back SMS from my native phone number. It's nice to have one place for all SMS messages, getting pretty tired of all these different messaging apps I've got to have (Hangouts/SMS, Skype, Facebook Messager, What's App are all the ones I use, sure there are tons more).

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

I'd say 80% or more of my daily texting is done via Hangouts message. For that remaining 20%, I'd rather use one app that's not perfect, but is passable, than split it across two apps, even if they're individually better. Messenger IS a better SMS app than Hangouts, sure, but it's not that much better. Just give me a quick reply option in Hangouts (like they already have on iOS) and I'll happily deal with the quirks/bugs/poo poo in the few moments I even notice them.

EDIT: \/\/ Yeah, that's what I was referring to about iOS already having it. I was excited for the update until this latest rumor.

XIII fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Dec 16, 2015

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Looks like quick reply is coming in the same version.

http://phandroid.com/2015/12/16/hangouts-quick-replies-android-update/

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Daily Forecast posted:

Because I don't want to deal with 2 different apps for this, it was so loving nice when they combined them. I'm split between SMS and hangouts probably 50/50 so this would be loving awful having to go back to 2 separate apps. It's nothing to do with Google voice as that's not available in my country.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Daily Forecast posted:

Because it isn't hot steaming poo poo and actually works perfectly for all of my SMS needs. Also because:

Tunga posted:

This would absolutely suck. My parents use Hangouts for everything without any understanding of which protocol any given contact uses which is absolutely perfect. They are going to hate having to use multiple apps. A huge step backwards.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Tunga posted:

Because it isn't hot steaming poo poo and actually works perfectly for all of my SMS needs. Also because:

No, you don't get it. You can't change the header color for different contacts, so it's garbage.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Logikv9 posted:

It's trash but it's the only thing that works with GV SMS :negative:

quote:

[UPDATE]: We can confirm that Project Fi and Google Voice functionality will remain. Only carrier/native SMS will get the axe.]

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Literally the only complaint I have about the Hangouts app, is that I wish they'd put back in the left/right sliding to go between the conversation I'm in and the index screen.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

CLAM DOWN posted:

Literally the only complaint I have about the Hangouts app, is that I wish they'd put back in the left/right sliding to go between the conversation I'm in and the index screen.

This has been gone for, like, a year now and I still find myself trying to slide back to the conversation screen

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

XIII posted:

This has been gone for, like, a year now and I still find myself trying to slide back to the conversation screen

Yup :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Yeah? GV SMS functionality remains in the Hangouts app, which is trash.

I tried Textra for a few minutes yesterday and sweet jesus it's so fast and smooth. Seriously considering just moving everything to my native number.