Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Waffleman_ posted:

Were there supposed to be jokes in that video?
The snake ampersand got a chuckle from me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
snampersand

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

ASPersand, superior portmanteau

Edit: Holy poo poo, I was looking at MBMBAM animatics and fell into a Youtube vortex and ended up on their Hatsune Miku bit. Justin's comment about being on David Letterman led me to check to see if that had actually happened. It did.

And that youtube page has probably my favorite comment I've ever seen:

"Hatsune Miku has more talent then today's song/ music artist's, and she is a computer program. Her songs are written by people who have no experience in music, and they are some of the most catchiest tunes ever created. Hatsune Miku is better then any and all bands because she can do something they can't, she can play any rift (if you know anything about music, then you'll know what a rift is) you program into her, she never needs to sleep, and she will never die or age."

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 2, 2017

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
My new job rotation is on graves so I've been flying through TAZ. Still think that Justin is the best player, Travis is the worst loving cheater if ALL time, and their dad is the best.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Wasabi the J posted:

My new job rotation is on graves so I've been flying through TAZ. Still think that Justin is the best player, Travis is the worst loving cheater if ALL time, and their dad is the best.

If Travis didn't cheat he would be able to do gently caress all in combat, because most versions of D&D are really bad games and hate non-casters a lot.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

"if you know anything about music, then you'll know what a rift is"

Why is THIS what bothers me about this moron's post, and not anything else? :negative:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wasabi the J posted:

Well I mean Justin has ever spell in the book memorized at all times and casts as many as he wants

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
Justin also ignores both casting times and components that need to be bought. It's just more noticeable when Travis cheats since he obviously just fudges rolls

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's one of the major balance points, it is supposed to be, for wizards, the need for spell components, but most players and even dms ignore it cause going shopping for ingredients and keeping track of inventory is really boring unless you are pretty talented at painting a scene.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

No shade, but I wonder exactly how many listener questions there are that can either be summed up as "am I good?" or "how do I avoid having an awkward conversation?". Like what the exact percentage was for each.

E: Are spell components really that important? Wizards and such usually automatically get a component pouch or a focus. I think what's way more obvious is that they don't prepare spells and seem to pull whatever they want from their lists. (Or in some cases, from another list.)

E2: It was probably a goof, but I was kind of astounded when Justin seemed to have no idea what he was supposed to do when a character died. Mainly because it was around the time of The Suffering Game, so like after an entire year or two of playing dnd on a regular basis.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Sep 2, 2017

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I've not played a game of DnD yet where anybody gave a poo poo about components, unless it was a pretty broken ridiculous spell that probably shouldn't be used on a total whim. It's just a boring aspect of the game. We usually do make a token effort of paying some attention to cast time and range though because those have led to some fun situations. 'You need to find a way into touch range to cast this, try not to die' is infinitely more interesting than telling a player they can't do something because they forgot to buy feathers or whatever.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mikedawson posted:

No shade, but I wonder exactly how many listener questions there are that can either be summed up as "am I good?" or "how do I avoid having an awkward conversation?". Like what the exact percentage was for each.

I know at one time, they put a specific moratorium on "Am I good?" because it's not really an actionable question.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mikedawson posted:

E2: It was probably a goof, but I was kind of astounded when Justin seemed to have no idea what he was supposed to do when a character died.

He knows what to do. You loot it.

Also, I think the number one role of DnD is that the rules shouldn't overrule fun, and the boys know fun. I'm only just wrapping up the Murder on the Rockport Limited story, but DnD is collaborative story telling, and Justin is making the best calls to be his character in the story -- what would Taako do, vs What would I do.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I had Travis-like rolls at DnD last night. I can't imagine rolling that well for 69 straight sessions.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"if you know anything about music, then you'll know what a rift is"

Why is THIS what bothers me about this moron's post, and not anything else? :negative:

A rift is when the music is so good the ground opens up and you fall in and die. This is theory 101

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
The thing about spell components are that anything without a gold cost is just flavor text and is included in the starting component pouch/replaced by arcane focus. But anything with a cost is something you actually have to buy in order to not have people just use that spell constantly. Like for example using a sapphire worth 1000 gp means you have to actually buy a sapphire for 1000 gold and not just say you use one.

Then of course "cheating " in this type of game only really matters if you make the game less fun for everyone. It's not like you are directly competing with your party members.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also that old D&D mentality of GM vs players, which TAZ most definitely is not.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Mikedawson posted:

To be fair, most questions asked to advice columns can be reduced to avoiding awkward conversations so it's to be expected.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
I mean Justin also will cast Warlock spells without anyone saying 'boo' because he sounds like less of a wiener.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, Justin just picks a spell and does it. Does it take an hour to cast? Does it cost 1000 GP? Who cares!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Not for nothing but it is pretty hard to fail at combat as a 5th edition fighter because you have insane bonuses

I'm at level 5 and the sword I have has a +8 to attack (it's a +1 sword and with my stats I have a +7 to attack with most weaponry)

And the great sword bonus lets you reroll damage dice that are 1s and 2s

They have to overcompensate for the fact that fighters don't get to do some of the crazy poo poo of 4e

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Really excited for when Clint doesn't understand the rules of the game he's running and the internet comments about it.

I've listened to actual play podcasts and never made it past one episode.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

inferis posted:

Really excited for when Clint doesn't understand the rules of the game he's running and the internet comments about it.

Well I don't think anyone here cares, just when it comes to the question of who bent the rules the worst there's a clear winner. It's not like Trav ever cast Cure Moderate Wounds on himself.

StalkofWheat
Oct 10, 2012
The biggest crime in the adventure zone is that Merle gets the elemental strike ability at like, level 4 and NEVER ONCE USES IT.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Justin ignoring dumb things like cast times gave us Garyl so all is forgiven.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

inferis posted:

Don't forget accusing Clint of railroading if he ever does even the smallest bit of exposition.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Somberbrero posted:

Well I don't think anyone here cares, just when it comes to the question of who bent the rules the worst there's a clear winner. It's not like Trav ever cast Cure Moderate Wounds on himself.

Travis never even used the self heal that the rules gave him.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

I really liked TAZ at the beginning when it was more goofy and fun. The stolen century arc just really dragged for me and was not fun at all. I've still got the last two episodes to listen to, and I just can't bring myself to do it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
last two episodes are rad as hell

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Escobarbarian posted:

last two episodes are rad as hell

and the three minutes of increasingly less poignant goodbyes is one of my favorite gags in the series

Pastrymancy
Feb 20, 2011

11:13: Despite Gio Gonzalez warning, "Never mix your sparkling juices," Bryce Harper opens another bottle of sparkling grape and mixes it with sparkling cider.

1:07: Harper walks to the 7-11 and orders an all-syrup Slurpee.

1:10-3:05: Harper has no recollection of this time. Aliens?
I think the trade off is that in early TAZ the pace is a lot choppier because they don't know how to roll and check and stuff

Captain Internet
Apr 20, 2005

:love: HOTLANTA :love:
IS WHERE YOUR HEART IS
Somehow, despite literally no TAZ for 5 more days we have rekindled the long dead, cast times and ingredients, Travis cheats, the show was better when they were taking about getting boners when they killed something, and Griffin had a hard time saying goodbye to his baby that he poured over for 3 years debates. Sure glad we lost the polygon stuff. This poo poo is ribbled right here.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Captain Internet posted:

Somehow, despite literally no TAZ for 5 more days we have rekindled the long dead, cast times and ingredients, Travis cheats, the show was better when they were taking about getting boners when they killed something, and Griffin had a hard time saying goodbye to his baby that he poured over for 3 years debates. Sure glad we lost the polygon stuff. This poo poo is ribbled right here.

no but you don't understand one poster really didn't like the polygon chat in this thread that always has high quality mcelroy discussion otherwise

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am not sure about the Polygone Era of the thread so far.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

Snooze Cruise posted:

I am not sure about the Polygone Era of the thread so far.

No, it's good, that one guy doesn't have to see that there's new posts this way.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Can someone make a new thread specifically for Monster Factory, that way one thread doesn't get special treatment over the other?

Please be sure to put a lot of effort into the OP.

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
and dont forget to argue with a maga shitheel for like 5 pages

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im glad so many new people got to be introduced to 8 bit scholar.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Angry Walrus posted:

No, it's good, that one guy doesn't have to see that there's new posts this way.

and we get to have good and new conversations. like how travis cheats. or how clint doesn't know the rules. this new content surely would've gotten lost in all the tens of polygon drivel posts that were clogging up the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

can we PLEASE go back to 3 page long discussions about how much we hate Russ for doing whatever he does in those videos