Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I just can't grasp the mindset of someone who picks an anti-tank assassin and doesn't salivate whenever the matchmaker is kind enough to give him a tank to kill. Like if you just want to get into dumb 1v1s with other assassins all game Illidan is right there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Kai Tave posted:

I just can't grasp the mindset of someone who picks an anti-tank assassin and doesn't salivate whenever the matchmaker is kind enough to give him a tank to kill. Like if you just want to get into dumb 1v1s with other assassins all game Illidan is right there.

Had an Alexstraza on my team who refused to heal because he was "DPS spec". As in you can be standing next to him with 25% HP and he would just ignore you and AA creeps.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

bamhand posted:

Had an Alexstraza on my team who refused to heal because he was "DPS spec". As in you can be standing next to him with 25% HP and he would just ignore you and AA creeps.

On a similar note, Alex players seem to love taking the fireball ult but only using it to try and snipe enemy heroes even though it does piddly damage and is far better for healing. Point this out to them and boy do they get pissed.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Today i learned: sonya's face got changed during alpha

Seems like an improvement

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

i've started telling everyone what spec i'm going at the start, but stuff like playing li ming and saying "going mage build" or lucio and saying "going dps spec". People really like it and rage immediately.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
my team told me to go Smash Varian against Cho'Gall instead of Taunt even though our other tank was Zarya. they were all in agreement tho so like...i did it and we lost.

Elysium posted:

I just played with the most annoying Zera ever. He would go stand near where he thought some enemies were, wait to go full stealth, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown and blink closer.

That doesn't work, right? Blinking should return him to normal stealth again. :psyduck:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

No Wave posted:

sonyas one of the more fuckable heroes

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

sonyas one of the more fuckable heroes

Uhh lol if you wouldn't rather get a hand job from Stukov.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Those DSLs on Murky :heysexy:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

today as junkrat I sat and watched an enemy xul solo the top sapper camp on mines. presumably he saw me but thought that I just feared his 1v1 might. he finished it, I tossed in a mine and blew him over the wall, then ran in and capped it. when he got back he was so hoppin’ mad that he went right for me with bone prison, but my new friends helped me blow him away

Im HaViNg ThE bEsT tImE

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Bogart posted:

my team told me to go Smash Varian against Cho'Gall instead of Taunt even though our other tank was Zarya. they were all in agreement tho so like...i did it and we lost.

This reminds me of a game I played just today. I was Butcher and the game gave me Artanis, Tracer, Varian, and Abathur as teammates. The enemy team was ETC, Chromie, Nova, Li-Ming, and Zarya. So melee versus range basically.

At the start of the game the Varian asks "Taunt Varian?" and I say "yeah sure." If you guessed that he instead went Twin Blades congratulations, you've played HotS before.

The punchline is we wound up winning anyway. Pre 10 we struggled because the sheer amount of long range burst was more than we could weather and Chromie's slowing sands made engaging hard, but because quickmatch is a clown fiesta once we got a stacked Butcher and Twin Blades Varian rolling we could just facesmash and take every merc camp in a matter of seconds. Also the entire time the Varian was trying to backseat drive the team, telling us to "stop feeding so much" even though he had as many if not more deaths than the rest of us. Sometimes winning simply isn't that satisfying.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Should only be able to go twin blades once you get varian to level 20 and only with a majority yes vote from your team

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

appropriatemetaphor posted:

AI is hilarious. I've been on a quest to GIT GUD at genji, and at this point I finally feel useful in qm, like I've done that chase-down-dudes-with-D-blade thing that looks real dope. But the AI against genji? Holy moly. If you E at ETC, he'll do his powerslide the literal microsecond after you hit E so that he stuns you mid dash. Same with Kaelthelas, he'll instant whirlwind stun you mid-dash. It's crazy.

Yup, they'll also stun/sleep/whatever you the minute you try to sweep as auriel. Hope you wanted the 10 second cooldown with no quest progress cause that's what you're getting.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Kurieg posted:

You used to be able to complete it on Vs AI, but they're very good at juking out of targeting reticles now.

loving tell me about it. Just trying to complete Chromie's quest (hard) or Thrall's Wolf quest (fuckin impossible) is an exercise in frustration.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
They actually said a while ago they were going to try to make the AI a little dumber about abilities that don't explicitly place a big "don't stand here" sign on the ground, like Chromie's W.

Bogart posted:

That doesn't work, right? Blinking should return him to normal stealth again. :psyduck:
Since nobody else answered I went to try mode and learned that it in fact does not! :aaa:

Unless the shadowy border around the edges of the screen was lying to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah, I was playing as Chromie earlier today and I was able to finish the quest regularly by level 15 or so.

And I'm not even good at her.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

bio347 posted:

It also changes the value of armor shredding, as well as percentage-based attacks.

What's the interaction between armour and % damage?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

What's the interaction between armour and % damage?

There's no interaction, % damage ignores all armor.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

No Wave posted:

They also changed her portrait/artwork to be a bit more... "feminine" I guess? It is like a TV show makeover when you compare the two.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Somebody post the mean mug

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HGC broadcasts use the old.one (left one) for some reason so she still lives.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jan 28, 2018

ninguno
Jan 17, 2011

Elysium posted:

I just played with the most annoying Zera ever. He would go stand near where he thought some enemies were, wait to go full stealth, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown, and then blink closer. And then wait for blink to come off cooldown and blink closer.

I love this. Also see secret agent Sgt hammer strats, moving a round the map in invisible siege mode looking for ganks

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I can’t stand people who try to micromanage the builds of other players who aren’t asking for input. When someone starts up with that poo poo in draft or game I just usually say “let them play whatever build works for them” it’s better that way. Like the acrimony and distraction over having a build argument in chat is never better than the worst hobbled together poo poo build if it made sense to the person. You can’t teach a stranger how you think they should play a character in one game without grief. Although I agree that Varian produces the absolute worst kind of these arguments in chat, even though all three Varian ultimate/builds have situational merit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unless my entire team is made up of tanks and supports, I would not pick Two Chains Varian.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Kurieg posted:

Yeah, I was playing as Chromie earlier today and I was able to finish the quest regularly by level 15 or so.

And I'm not even good at her.

Chromie's doesn't reset if you miss, which is why I said it was hard (slowing sands helps a lot so it finishes fast after 8)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

TBV is probably the easiest character in the game to get value out of, I am not really ever upset by having him on my team.

The only talents that really make me feel like we're being set behind by their selection are Survival Instincts and Furnace Blast, but there is no real reason to discuss it in-game.

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Schneider Inside Her posted:

I hate that kind of poo poo. Just bump their health up

It’s like Phantom Assassin from DOTA having a small mana pool but all her spells are cheap as poo poo. What’s the point

Also Thrall is wicked i think as a melee assassin to learn. You figure out pretty quick when you can go in because it is like being killed instantly or killing three people on the enemy team and coming out of the fight at 75% life.

The size of different characters mana pools may become an issue if they ever institute a Dark Archon-like Feedback spell (mana becomes damage) but we havent seen that yet.

Semper Fudge
Feb 19, 2009

Pitchfork was wrong. (f)lowers of Algerbong is crap.

No Wave posted:

A lot of heroes got visual polish during the open beta. The game used to look really rough by Blizzard standards.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Semper Fudge posted:

A lot of heroes got visual polish during the open beta. The game used to look really rough by Blizzard standards.

It's important to remember that the game was basically an experiment that started as a mod for SC2. It doesn't look like this was designed from the ground floor to be a real product until some point in its development. I could be wrong but that is my understanding of all the development info I have seen so far.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

No Wave posted:

TBV is probably the easiest character in the game to get value out of, I am not really ever upset by having him on my team.

The only talents that really make me feel like we're being set behind by their selection are Survival Instincts and Furnace Blast, but there is no real reason to discuss it in-game.

I will admit I get kind of pissed whenever there's an Abathur on a team with really good potential for a hat/clone build and instead they decide that what we really need is full split push and they spend all game trying and failing to get anything done with monstrosities, meanwhile boy some extra healing and another assassin in these teamfights sure would be handy but hey, you did 50% damage to a fort, that's totally worth it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Kai Tave posted:

I will admit I get kind of pissed whenever there's an Abathur on a team with really good potential for a hat/clone build and instead they decide that what we really need is full split push and they spend all game trying and failing to get anything done with monstrosities, meanwhile boy some extra healing and another assassin in these teamfights sure would be handy but hey, you did 50% damage to a fort, that's totally worth it.

That Volksoya game I posted a bit ago, the other team had an Abathur. And they did almost nothing but deal with me the whole game, which was the best thing that could've happened cause he was too busy trying to stop me, the Murky (unsuccessfully) and wasn't hatting his teammates. He kept hatting minions and his abomination. Which, by the way, once 16 rolled around I melted his monstrosity in like 2 seconds. Early on he could hit way harder than me, so it was kind of a stalemate at first but eventually I would overrun him and late game it just wasn't even close

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Battlefield of Eternity

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

Dilkington posted:

Battlefield of Eternity

How do you win that quickly without killing them a million times?

It's not like their supports did all that much healing.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

That BW siege damage is impressive

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

lucifirius posted:

How do you win that quickly without killing them a million times?
That blue-skinned dead lady on their team had something to do with it I think. Red team comp explains the rest (certainly the worst comp i have ever seen).

No Wave fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 28, 2018

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Anyone got a good starter build for Kel'Thuzad they like? I'm gonna try to practice him today and looking at hotslogs I can't really make sense out of which of his talents are even good. I think the first build or two I tried were both kind of stupid but I think he's pretty fun and rewarding to play.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

Libertine posted:

Anyone got a good starter build for Kel'Thuzad they like? I'm gonna try to practice him today and looking at hotslogs I can't really make sense out of which of his talents are even good. I think the first build or two I tried were both kind of stupid but I think he's pretty fun and rewarding to play.

https://www.icy-veins.com/heroes/talent-calculator/kel-thuzad#27.3!2222222

That is his standard build. You basically need to practice his combo to be good with him. You chain someone then drop your Q, W, and R between your target and what you want to chain him to then activate the chain. It's basically one of the hardest combos in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I mean you can make it waaay easier by making it E -> W -> E -> Q, and there's no significant damage loss.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

LegoMan posted:

loving tell me about it. Just trying to complete Chromie's quest (hard) or Thrall's Wolf quest (fuckin impossible) is an exercise in frustration.

Completing Chromie's quest got easier once I realized that comboing her W right after Q would sabotage everything 99% of the time, whereas sniping outside of vision at the right times gets the job done...not that I'm almost ever near completion when it comes time to pick the sand clone swap even then.

Meanwhile AI Chromie is a dirty aimbotting cheater. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

John Murdoch posted:

Completing Chromie's quest got easier once I realized that comboing her W right after Q would sabotage everything 99% of the time, whereas sniping outside of vision at the right times gets the job done...not that I'm almost ever near completion when it comes time to pick the sand clone swap even then.

Meanwhile AI Chromie is a dirty aimbotting cheater. :argh:

Use globes as bait for landing skillshots. It's the best way to anticipate enemy movements, and with the 2018 change they have to pick between giving you double globes or eating a spell.

Do this on all heroes :yeah: