Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Oh hell yeah

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I guess Mikes health condition(s) probably made touring pretty risky. Hopefully they can make it to Australia.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Less S/D/S, more just old-school but new Tanith coming soon :woop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REGBNku29GY

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

oh drat Albuquerque?

If I can make it I'm totally gonna catch that

edit: went to a show tonight and a bunch of the dudes that know Al called him to come to it but he's too busy mastering the Om album

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 13, 2023

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

nice. really good live band

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

very sad yob/pallbearer/cave in isn't coming to florida

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Clutch, Red Fang, and Dinosaur Jr are coming to Denver and I think I'm gonna go.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Clutch, Red Fang, and Dinosaur Jr are coming to Denver and I think I'm gonna go.

Fixed it for you.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
$62 after fees for that tour here buh

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ooof

I'll probably do it anyway because I've never seen Dinosaur Jr and it's been probably 15 years since I saw Clutch.

PalaNIN
Sep 19, 2004

LRLRRRLLRRLRLRLRRLRLR
Gig report! Seeing Earthless last night felt like a religious experience - 90 minutes of absolute ridiculous shredding and an intense rhythm section. My brain is sufficiently melted.

The visuals on stage were fed from a feed of coloured dyes being dropped onto a pool of water, and mixed around. Nice touch, and dedication to the 70s psychedelic vibe the venue was going for.

They were supported by 5 (!) local psych/doom acts throughout the afternoon/evening - my faves were:

Motherslug:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTb6MU0hu9Q

A Gazillion Angry Mexicans:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU3d6yjrA2w

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Acid Dropper by Earthless is probably one of my favorite tracks of all time right now.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

He can't kill me. I'm indestructible. Everybody knows that

Can anyone recommend any new / recent good sludge? I keep going back to Grief / EHG / Noothgruah but something new would be awesome

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

if you like Grief have you heard the Come to Grief stuff yet?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

Can anyone recommend any new / recent good sludge? I keep going back to Grief / EHG / Noothgruah but something new would be awesome

All you need is Thou

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Good calls, that last Come to Grief was great.
Haven't spun Thou for a while as well, I'm not big on their covers or collabs but going back to Tyrant and Magus gives me a lot to get stuck into.

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

Spotify seems to be lacking in a lot of my favourite sludge - no erode the person or failing early, failing often by Noothgrush, no Fleshpress at all, no Torso or Miserably ever after by Grief.

I rediscovered Graves at Sea though and there is a new Acid King album which is good

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

there is a new Acid King album

welp know what i'm doing right now

McFlurry Fan #1
Dec 31, 2005

It's really good as well

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bandcamp has an app and you can stream your collection from there.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

McFlurry Fan #1 posted:

It's really good as well

yeah i've listened to it several times already, think it's great

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
Graves at Sea is great and I wish they played live more often. I saw them once and they killed it.

Chained to the Bottom of the Ocean is always pretty solid sludge for me.
https://chainedtothebottomoftheocean.bandcamp.com/album/i-tried-catching-you-but-you-fell-through-me

They've got a new full length coming out in May that I'm looking forward to. Sunrot has one coming out in April that a few songs have been released for.

https://sunrot.bandcamp.com/album/the-unfailing-rope

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got a ticket to see Hell tomorrow. Curious if MSW can sound as hosed up and freaky in a live setting.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Henchman of Santa posted:

Just got a ticket to see Hell tomorrow. Curious if MSW can sound as hosed up and freaky in a live setting.

My office mate has been listening to hell every morning when I walk in for like a month now.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Detective Thompson posted:

Graves at Sea is great and I wish they played live more often. I saw them once and they killed it.

Man I haven't thought about this band in a minute, but I threw on The Curse That Is and that album still rips. Thanks for the reminder!

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Henchman of Santa posted:

I've seen Hell twice now, once at the 2018 Migration Fest and once when they went on tour with Mizmor, and from what I can recall, he's definitely got it going live too. I'll be going to see them with Goatwhore and Eyehategod at the Boston show on this tour. Looking forward to it.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal

Laserface posted:

Bandcamp has an app and you can stream your collection from there.

This.

I don't know why people use spotify or any online music services. To each his/her own, of course, but don't people want to own the music they like anymore?

I listen to all my music strictly via bandcamp (which are only items you have purchased), CD's, or my iPod.

It's obviously a personal preference, but I like to have what I want to hear in my own possession. Maybe I'm weird.

I'm curious; what say you, vinyl folks?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Def visiting my friend in abq for this

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

Nit Wit Dog poo poo posted:

This.

I don't know why people use spotify or any online music services. To each his/her own, of course, but don't people want to own the music they like anymore?

I listen to all my music strictly via bandcamp (which are only items you have purchased), CD's, or my iPod.

It's obviously a personal preference, but I like to have what I want to hear in my own possession. Maybe I'm weird.

I use bandcamp for flac and mp3s and buy my favorite albums on vinyl. There was a time when I bought a few records every month but these days I’m down to 3 or 4 a year

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp

This.

I still download MP3s from Bandcamp, and I've never really used a streaming music service beyond Youtube. Before Bandcamp, when you bought music online, the link would often expire after a month or so, so you had to permanently archive it somewhere, and the habit has never left me.

I just looked in my archive directory, and the first thing I ever bought on Bandcamp was March 13, 2011. It was the Hugenelk album, at the suggestion of this thread. The "Store Bought MP3s" folder is now 145 gigs.

Cobra Commander
Jan 18, 2011

Master of Reality is pretty cool :cool:

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

This.

Flame away, but I use Spotify for the family plan. Daughter can listen to her garbage trap, my wife can stream client curated playlists when she's shooting, and none of it wrecks my dumb rear end algorithm for those end of the year wrap ups that everyone despises. I even gave my brother a hook up so he can go down his nerdy prog rabbit holes.

Yeah it's a garbage service and is horrible for the music industry. It's all great for my daily office grind. A couple of 3 hour Dead sets makes the day go by easier. If I come upon new artists (or even older stuff) that I like, then I absolutely put it on my "to buy" vinyl list.

I've bought albums on band camp but honestly ... "at the end of the day from the 30,000 foot view" I just don't want to deal with local digital media files. Does Bandcamp have a mobile app that will let me stream purchases or whatever? If that's the case, then I'd probably consider dumping Spotify.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 26, 2023

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Google Play Music was the golden age of streaming services, because you could upload your library and all your stuff would show up right alongside their streaming library. They also had their own music store back then, so you could put your own music in the cloud, stream stuff you wanted to check out, and buy it right there if you wanted.

Then they switched to Youtube music and completely segregated your uploaded music from the stuff in the streaming library. I buy a decent amount of stuff on bandcamp and then upload it to my youtube music account, but the UI just makes it kind of a pain to listen to your own stuff that way. Unfortunately, I'm not really interested in having a poo poo ton of mp3s on my phone or running an ftp server or whatever people do as an alternative, so it is what it is.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

Does Bandcamp have a mobile app that will let me stream purchases or whatever? If that's the case, then I'd probably consider dumping Spotify.

They do, yeah. And you can even sync down local files within the app with one click so that you can listen to them offline.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
I've been downloading music since the golden era of napster and just never stopped. It's nice because I have pretty much every album I've ever enjoyed since I was a teenager catalogued. It feels as close as I can get to a real record collection.

Bandcamp is really great especially with the format selection. My only complaint is that I wish they'd police lossy transcodes. It's rarely a problem but it's mildly annoying to find an artist has transcoded their Mp3 files to FLAC for the upload. This is archival nerd bullshit though. Still I buy everything I can there.

I've tried streaming and always find tons of albums I like missing but if I didn't have the extensive collection of older material I'm not sure if I'd notice. I wouldn't remember half the music I used to like.

Nit Wit Dog Shit
Sep 28, 2000

Toilet Rascal
I appreciate all the feedback on this topic. It's really cool to read what other people do in regards to their music listening habits.

The one thing I'm insane about is making sure every song on my iPod (yep, old school, I know) has the correct album and song title, as well as the album cover art. I've spent so much tine searching for some of that stuff - especially for old country tracks or 50's rock and roll - so that process has kind of turned into a hobby of mine.

Edit: I just checked and I have over 450 album cover art files saved that I had to search for and download so I could include the art with its matching song/album file.

im_sorry
Jan 15, 2006

(9999)
Ultra Carp
Also, when I'm listening to music for an extended period of time, I listen to full albums, goddammit! Albums are supposed to be started at track 1 and then played in order. I started with records and cassettes, and listening to songs out of order feels wrong.

Nightmare Cinema
Apr 4, 2020

no.
For anything I physically purchase or otherwise albums I want to own? ALAC files in my iTunes library, then transferred to a micro SD card in my iBasso DX220. HD cover art & everything.

I'm actually still in the process of replacing old AAC rips with lossless ones. It sucks being this anal-retentive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I don't think I'm likely to go back to physical media any time soon, because my CDs and vinyl all got ripped to FLAC and have been sitting in storage for a decade or so. But I'm also in the Bandcamp for most music purchases crew. Sucks when good bands only release their stuff through Spotify and Amazon Music or something. I'm an old man and I want the music I buy to sit on my hard drive.