Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

That's the best trailer I've ever seen.

Haha. Thanks! I actually cut that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Nice Gonzo

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
Thanks! Had a lot of fun on this one.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Is that online-only?

2:56 running time yikes

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
Yah. Cinemacon was like 3:30 :)

Bunch of different versions for theatrical. Think it goes up with Fast 8 this week.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Well that goes on the Vimeo reel for sure.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

GrandpaPants posted:

New Atomic Blonde trailer that I think spoils a bit too many action moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIUube1pSC0

Looks fun though.

This is a John Wick rip-off. And frankly, this is the most obnoxious and pretentious trailer I've ever seen.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Alienwarehouse posted:

This is a John Wick rip-off. And frankly, this is the most obnoxious and pretentious trailer I've ever seen.

I mean it's by the dude who created and directed John Wick, so...

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Apr 12, 2017

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

birthofacritic.mov

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Alienwarehouse posted:

This is a John Wick rip-off.

Ahahahha

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alienwarehouse posted:

Got any more hot takes?

Oh, I know! Do Thor: Ragnarok next!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The trailer was fine, although about 2 minutes in it seems like it should be done but there's a whole minute left!

The movie doesn't look that appealing to me. But I've never been into the "single person tears through an entire army" genre for the most part. It largely exists of the person constantly striking "I'm a badass" poses and having one liner after one liner.

I mean maybe that would be fun back when I was like 15? And not like it'd be horrible now... but I just feel those moments exist better as scenes in movies (aka the hammer scene in Old Boy) instead of extrapolating that into an entire movie.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

BonoMan posted:

The trailer was fine, although about 2 minutes in it seems like it should be done but there's a whole minute left!

The movie doesn't look that appealing to me. But I've never been into the "single person tears through an entire army" genre for the most part. It largely exists of the person constantly striking "I'm a badass" poses and having one liner after one liner.

I mean maybe that would be fun back when I was like 15? And not like it'd be horrible now... but I just feel those moments exist better as scenes in movies (aka the hammer scene in Old Boy) instead of extrapolating that into an entire movie.

It was fun for me when I was 15 and it's still fun for me in my 50s. I'm sorry you have no sense of action-movie fun left.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

John Wick + Cold War Spy Action = Awesome

Cast is great too

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I am gonna watch that movie

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I am gonna watch that movie

Hell, :same:

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
There's an amazing 10 minute one take (ish) action scene that's worth the price of admission alone if your an action buff.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It was fun for me when I was 15 and it's still fun for me in my 50s. I'm sorry you have no sense of action-movie fun left.

It just gets old and repetitive. And then when you watch that video comparing Jackie Chan movies to American movies, it all falls into place. It's the lovely fight editing (not choreography - the editing).

That said I *do* remember some reviews coming out saying Atomic Blonde was a lot smarter than the straight up fighting trailers lead on so I'll give it a shot. Plus I like Charlize Theron.

el Gonzo posted:

There's an amazing 10 minute one take (ish) action scene that's worth the price of admission alone if your an action buff.

How does it compare to the Kingsman church scene?

el Gonzo
Apr 14, 2006
Totally different vibes. This is closer to the daredevil / old boy hallway fights. It's a visceral grueling marathon.

PST
Jul 5, 2012

If only Milliband had eaten a vegan sausage roll instead of a bacon sandwich, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Jerkface posted:

John Wick + Cold War Spy Action = Awesome

Cast is great too

The comic/graphic novel is great, this looks to be a bit more over the top, but there's hints of the tension and twists and turns. Great cast, good director, great trailer, definitely seeing this.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

kiimo posted:

Is that online-only?

2:56 running time yikes

I got 30 seconds in and felt like I'd already watched a full trailer. Turned it off because I was sold. Reviews are apparently a bit middling, but with all that style, Charlize, and dat action, I'm in.

Cash Monet
Apr 5, 2009

New Kathryn Bigelow movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wRQ9981EH0

Looks sad and good

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Cash Monet posted:

Looks sad and good

Am I blind or was John krasinski not in that trailer?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

kanonvandekempen posted:

Am I blind or was John krasinski not in that trailer?

I think I may have seen him briefly as one of the soldiers? But they all sorta look alike with their helmets on.

Don't read the comments.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Cash Monet posted:

Looks sad and good

oh shiiiiiiiiit

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

That's the best trailer I've ever seen.

The reviews haven't been kind, so it might be the best version of it. Would love to see Theron go up against her former castmate Keanu sometime tho.

The best trailer of the moment though is that Thor one. It's the most rewatchable one I've seen since Fury Road.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

victorious posted:

It's such a Taika Waititi line too. I'm half expecting Rhys Darby to have a cameo somewhere.

If only Hulk had responded with "We're not friends. We're colleagues."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Shageletic posted:

The reviews haven't been kind, so it might be the best version of it. Would love to see Theron go up against her former castmate Keanu sometime tho.

The best trailer of the moment though is that Thor one. It's the most rewatchable one I've seen since Fury Road.

I thought the CinemaCon or SXSW reviews were good?

New Transformers trailer with more Cakelot stuff and more callbacks from previous movies getting destroyed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQm3djLYWB8

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

The MSJ posted:

I thought the CinemaCon or SXSW reviews were good?

New Transformers trailer with more Cakelot stuff and more callbacks from previous movies getting destroyed.

No, neither of those places resulted in good reviews.

Alienwarehouse
Apr 1, 2017

The MSJ posted:

No Megatron and Optimus fighting 3 headed robot dragon? FAIL

PS All hail Megatron

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It's pretty hosed up how 99% of Detroit was shot in Massachusetts tho. That's mighty white of Bigelow. At least Spike had the common sense to shoot Chiraq in the city that it takes place in.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Alienwarehouse posted:

It's annoying seeing people say this cuz it's like...was John Wick the first and only action movie you've seen or something

It's like "oh man a movie using classic rock...just like the first movie to ever do that, guardians of the galaxy"

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

It's annoying seeing people say this cuz it's like...was John Wick the first and only action movie you've seen or something

It's like "oh man a movie using classic rock...just like the first movie to ever do that, guardians of the galaxy"

We just recently, in this very thread, had a guy call Led Zepplin's Immigrant Song "the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trailer music". I'm afraid this sort of thing is just inevitable.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Atomic Blonde trailer was cool. But it seems like every trailer released recently matches music beats to things happening on screen, it's getting a bit much IMO. Personal Jesus mixed with Black Skinhead was good though.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
First trailer I remember that being on was the Ghost Protocol trailer, which I still think is fantastic. Don't know if that set the trend but definitely one of the best imo.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Sound design trailers are cool and trendy.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

ruddiger posted:

It's pretty hosed up how 99% of Detroit was shot in Massachusetts tho. That's mighty white of Bigelow. At least Spike had the common sense to shoot Chiraq in the city that it takes place in.

It's just because MA gives big tax breaks to filmmakers. The bigger issue is that her last movie was just government-approved propaganda. No idea why she was chosen for this movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Jewmanji posted:

It's just because MA gives big tax breaks to filmmakers. The bigger issue is that her last movie was just government-approved propaganda. No idea why she was chosen for this movie.

I was gonna say... not filming in an event the movie actually takes place in is par for the course. It's all about money. It really seems like there should have been a black director on this though..Bigelow? Really?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

kiimo posted:

Sound design trailers are cool and trendy.

The are also bad and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Jewmanji posted:

Michigan used to have big tax breaks for films, until the governor got rid of them. Snyder! :argh:

• Locked thread