Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

The only team you have a winning record against is the Killer Mikes, at 7-5.

Ah. Right. Well then.

:suicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

I really don't like this situation. I'm being competitive against fellow division members, my pythagorean win rate is over .500 (just barely, but it counts!), and yet the division lead keeps fading further because the Crows are just running away with it. gently caress it, enough is enough, and it's time for a change:

Adrian Beltre out at 3B, Ron Santo in.
Rick Monday out at OF, Reggie Jackson in.
Eric Young out at 2B, Mark Grudzielanek in.
Rick Reuschel and Madison Bumgarner switch places.

Might as well get some more data on some of these fucks.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I had Grudzielanek on my first team. He was terrible.

By the way, you have 2012 Brian Wilson on your feeders (he threw like a whopping 1 inning in 2012, but that's enough to qualify him as eligible to play for you.)

He's probably a dude you should use come the SL. Alternately, he's a useful trading chip.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FairGame posted:

I had Grudzielanek on my first team. He was terrible.

By the way, you have 2012 Brian Wilson on your feeders (he threw like a whopping 1 inning in 2012, but that's enough to qualify him as eligible to play for you.)

He's probably a dude you should use come the SL. Alternately, he's a useful trading chip.

I was wondering about Wilson by chance one day - I think I missed him looking through the rosters because of the aforementioned 1 inning. Aren't the rosters currently locked, or can I say that I want 2012 Brian Wilson on my team as opposed to Mike Maddux and stick him at the closer position?

As for Grud, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with him. I picked him, so I might as well play him for a month and see how he does - I'm going to probably go for a 2B in the draft anyway.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

TheMcD posted:

I was wondering about Wilson by chance one day - I think I missed him looking through the rosters because of the aforementioned 1 inning. Aren't the rosters currently locked, or can I say that I want 2012 Brian Wilson on my team as opposed to Mike Maddux and stick him at the closer position?

As for Grud, I'm not exactly sure what I'm doing with him. I picked him, so I might as well play him for a month and see how he does - I'm going to probably go for a 2B in the draft anyway.

Rosters are currently locked. That's why I said he's a dude you should use come the SL, as opposed to now.

You have the makings of a superb bullpen, and with Santo and Banks, a good left infield.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FairGame posted:

Rosters are currently locked. That's why I said he's a dude you should use come the SL, as opposed to now.

You have the makings of a superb bullpen, and with Santo and Banks, a good left infield.

Right, gotcha. Then that's noted down as something I should make sure I do come the SL.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

TheMcD posted:

Right, gotcha. Then that's noted down as something I should make sure I do come the SL.

You'll generally be better off risking trying too young or too old or too injured stars than even healthy 'average' MLBers like Grudzie. Grudzie had a fun little run there with the Cubs, but he's not going to be able to stand against the likes of the SL. So a potentially very good relief option like Brian Wilson will be a far better gamble than a completely average reliever like Mike Maddux.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

You also have this guy, http://super-league.tk/viewplayer.php?id=holtzke01, who despite being 19 years old might be worth a look. Look at the magnificent 47 innings he threw for a garbage team at age 18!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Pander posted:

You'll generally be better off risking trying too young or too old or too injured stars than even healthy 'average' MLBers like Grudzie. Grudzie had a fun little run there with the Cubs, but he's not going to be able to stand against the likes of the SL. So a potentially very good relief option like Brian Wilson will be a far better gamble than a completely average reliever like Mike Maddux.

Thanks for the tip. Yeah, I'll probably have to see what comes up on the table at 2B, because neither of my current options are going to cut it. Right now, I suppose I'm trying to figure out which one is less poo poo? Although Young isn't all that bad, so Grudz will probably have to put up some pretty good numbers over that month or two I'm giving him if he's not going to end up third in line.

As for Maddux, I wasn't even sure what I was thinking when I picked him - I think after missing Wilson, I ran out of people I wanted to pick at RP and just went with the guy that was related to Greg Maddux without any further rhyme or reason.

FairGame posted:

You also have this guy, http://super-league.tk/viewplayer.php?id=holtzke01, who despite being 19 years old might be worth a look. Look at the magnificent 47 innings he threw for a garbage team at age 18!

Good catch, thanks. Might be worth giving him a shot over somebody like Reuschel.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Reuschel has three of the top sixteen ERA+ seasons in SL history.

If you can go into the season with Holtzman and Reuschel in your minors, one young, one old, and see how they roll, that's a win. Of course, you could trade one or both to a team more able to absorb the risk in exchange for someone closer to their prime.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Yep. I covet your Reuschel and multiple bullpen possibilities, as I expect many other teams do.

Other than 2B, you've got passable to very good options at all positions. Don't be so quick to dump dudes just because they're super old or super young; they may roll better in the SL. Alternately, they're valuable trading chips that can be used to get a more predictable starting rotation.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

Super-League XII, Week 19: Whatever Happened to the Man of Today?

Games of the Week

Don May posted:

W'S CEMENT DIVISION LEAD WITH 9-6, 13-INNING WIN OVER RAKERS

Bolton- For four seasons, the W's and Rakers have battled for dominance in the Norris-Smythe division. The W's, the oldest team in Super-League history, locked in a seemingly endless struggle with their neighbors to the west, the upstart Walney Rakers. In each of the last two seasons, the Rakers won the division title, but the W's still reached the playoffs with a wildcard. Given how the season has gone so far, it seems very likely that both teams will make the playoffs yet again. In that sense, it may not seem to matter much which of these two teams wins the division.

But, for reasons that likely have more to do with the peculiar British dislike of playoffs, both teams are hellbent on putting one over on their rivals and taking the Norris-Smythe Division crown.

And, of course, the English people do love their rivalries, whether it's Everton against Liverpool, Manchester City against Manchester United, or even Rangers against Celtic.

Coming into this series, the W's had found one game up over the Rakers on top of the division standings thanks to a remarkably poor series by the Rakers against the lowly Brooklyn Bronies. The teams split the first two games of the series, keeping the W's lead at one game, and ensuring that the two teams would retain their minor championships. That set up this rubber match, with the W's hoping to give themselves a little breathing room and the Rakers trying to pull back into a tie.

Unsurprisingly, the two teams, so evenly matched, found themselves tied 5-5 after nine innings, and the game continued. In the tenth, the Rakers managed to score a run, but the W's immediately erased it in the bottom of the inning on a Ripken home run, a short opposite-field blast made possible by the unusual dimensions of the Coliseum.

In the thirteenth, the W's once again threatened as Al Simmons hit a single and was then sacrificed over to second by Lou Whitaker. Of course, it was hardly the most pressing threat, as Darren Daulton had struck out to lead off the inning, and a runner at second with two outs, while not the best situation, is hardly an imminent catastrophe.

Ed Delahanty was due up next, and that's when gingemidget, the Rakers' owner, made an unfortunate move. His pitcher on the mound, John Candelaria, was left-handed, and the batter at the plate, Ed Delahanty, was right-handed. Moreover, the batter on the on-deck circle was a left-hander as well. Theoretically speaking, with first base open and two outs on the inning, the smart percentage play is to walk the right-handed batter, and have Candelaria pitch to the left-hander instead. In theory, that is the right thing to do. In reality, the left-handed batter in this scenario was Babe Ruth.

Ruth appeared more amused by this turn of events than anything else. The thought that a pitcher would choose to pitch to him rather than Ed Delahanty with the game on the line was rather comical. John Candelaria, clearly uncomfortable with the situation, tried to use his platoon advantage to the fullest, throwing a curveball to start the at-bat. Against many left-handers, a southpaw's breaking ball can be nigh-unhittable at times. For Ruth, it was little more than batting practice and he launched the ball into the right field stands for the game-winning home run.

After the game, gingemidget was asked why he intentionally walked Delahanty to get to Ruth, to which he flicked away the cigarette he had been smoking, and told reporters that, "It'll be a cold day in hell before I let that loving Bolton arse dictate how my team plays the game. I will not live in terror of that fat piece of poo poo Babe Ruth. THis season is far from over, and no matter what ForeverBWFC might think, the road to the Norris-Smythe Division still runs through Barrow."

GAME NOTES

-Mark Bellhorn somehow made two plate appearances without striking out. That was a true miracle.

-90,000 people saw today's game in Bolton, which is roughly the entire population of the town.

-ForeverBWFC complained to reporters after the game that, "Rangers and Celtic is a Scottish football rivalry, not an English rivalry, and they aren't the same thing. Didn't you ever see Braveheart, where that vicious brute William Wallace leads his band of Scottish hooligans on a rampage all over England before the heroic King Edward Longshanks stops them. Truly a great moment in English history."

Box Score

Don May posted:

ONE RUN TO RULE THEM ALL AS BOMBERS TAKE 1-0 WIM OVER MUGGERS

Oklahoma City- It was not exactly a triumphant game for either team.

Heading into the ninth inning, the Muggers and Bombers, at this point the only two teams with much chance of winning the Senor Goodtimes Division, had combined for nine hits and zero runs. A generous soul could have called this a pitcher's duel, but the reality is that neither pitcher had been particularly sharp. True, neither Jim Bunning nor Whitey Ford had made any major mistakes, but neither was exactly blowing hitters away, either, with just eight combined strikeouts over the first eight innings.

In the top half of the inning, the Muggers had a chance to finally break through. They did not take it, of course, instead making three quick outs to send the still-scoreless game into the bottom half of the ninth.

Arky Vaughan was first up for the Bombers, and he quickly popped out to start things off. That brought up Ron Santo as well as a dilemma for the Muggers' owner, Monicro. Orosco was a left-handed pitcher, and Santo was a right-handed batter. Ideally, a right-handed reliever would be brought in to handle this situation. But Monicro decided to leave Orosco in the game, thinking that if the Bombers hadn't been able to get a run by this point, he certainly didn't need to live in fear of Ron Santo of all people.

But, as it turned out, he should have had at least a little fear, as Ron Santo hit a long fly ball that just crossed over the left field fence to score the first and last runs of the day, as the Bombers took a 1-0 decision.

mentholmoose refused to come out for a post-game press conference, instead providing a written note to reporters, reproduced below:

mentholmoose posted:

It is clear to me that this post-game press conferences are really just chances for the media to mislead and brainwash the masses. I know that a conspiracy between the Masons and the Bilderberg Group is responsible, through their proxy control of the four and a half media conglomerates that control this planet. Therefore, I refuse to engage in their villainous scheme to paint me as some sort of paranoid maniac who has crazy conspiracy theories.

No doubt that they'll point my earlier claims that colony collapse syndrome isn't really some sort of disease afflicting the honeybee, but instead phase two of the honeybees' plan to concur the Earth with their space armies. And I stand by those comments. Bees are evil. They are evil creatures. They are fundamentalists willing to kill themselves to destroy their enemies all for the favor of a so-called 'queen'. For how long will we allow the yellow and black menace to plot against us without consequence?

Death to the bees!

Your pal,

mentholmoose

As for Monicro, he did what Monicro always does, "I want to talk more about Bodychanger," Monicro began, eliciting a series of jeers from the assembled media. "Hey, Bodychanger is a good show." The audience groaned, knowing that, in fact, it was just another anime, and not a particularly good one at that. But Monicro persevered, "I know that a lot of you think that a show about a high school boy who gets hit by a train and turned into a female cyborg sounds bad on paper," A reporter threw his notepad at Monicro at this point, because, simply put, everyone was reaching their limits on this topc. "Hey! That almost hit me! Anyway, Bodychanger is deep. It's all about questions of identity! And gender politics! Really, it's one of the most trans-positive animes out there!" The reporters, having taken all they could, filed out of the room, unable to take even one more second of Monicro's self-delusion.

GAME NOTES

-The Muggers' offense, always something of a paper tiger, completely folded against whitey Ford of all people, as Ford needed only 103 pitches and six whiskey sours to complete the shutout today.

-In fairness to Monicro, a stronger case for Bodychanger could be made if the hero/heroine of the story did not spend the entirety of series in either a schoolgirl outfit or a skintight battle uniform that consisted of little more than a halter top and panties.

Box Score

Don May posted:

PIRATES BARELY EDGE COBURNS 7-6 IN POSSIBLE DLCS PREVIEW

Fort Sumner- It is not clear who will win the Smasher League. The Bangers, Bombers, Rakers, W's and Muggers have all seemed to be frontrunners at various points, but all have had issues with consistency, and, even with only seven week remaining in the season, it is not entirely clear who will emerge as true contenders.

In the Dynamo League, there is much more clarity. The Pirates and Coburns stand above all others, and it seems almost certain that they will, at some point, meet in the playoffs for a final, decisive series, the winner of which will be heavily favored to win the Super-League Championship. These are two of the greatest teams that have ever played in the Super-League.

But both teams wanted just a bit more than that. They wanted to be the best, and the only good way to do that was to beat the other into submission.

The game was tied 5-5 after nine innings, as both teams struggled to get an edge over the other. But the powerful offense of the Pirates could not be denied forever, and as the tenth inning began, they pounded on Rob Dibble, with the bottom of their order notching three straight hits, scoring two runs in the process. And then Beet took a gamble. His team held a 7-5 lead, and the pitcher's spot was due up next. Trevor Hoffman, the Pirates' closer, had pitched the ninth, and hadn't thrown too many pitches in the process. With a save situation likely looming in the bottom of the inning, Beet decided he didn't want to be without his best closer, and let Trevor Hoffman bat for himself. That went about as well as you'd expect, a strikeout on three pitches, and the Pirates did not score again that inning. But they held a 7-5 lead going into the bottom half of the tenth, and Beet believed that would be enough.

The Coburns disagreed, opening up the inning with a walk and two singles to load the bases with no outs. Elston Howard then hit a sacrifice fly, and, suddenly, the Coburns were down only one run with runners on first and second and just one out. Showing an admirable ability to admit he had made a mistake, Beet immediately took Hoffman out of the game, sending in Frank Barrett instead, who miraculously induced a pop out from Jimmie Foxx and then a ground out from Mel Ott to end the game.

Afterwards, Beet made it clear that he believed the Pirates were the superior team, "The Coburns have always been second-best. In their division and in their Syndicate. I don't have time for them anymore. Next season, the Losers will be back, and before that happens, I need to beat the Macho Men, I need to do that, because that is the one thing they never could do. The Coburns are just in the way, and nothing more than that."

Warm Sarsaparilla didn't take that lying down, "As the great Coburn taught us, there are some things that lie forever beyond us mortal men. You think you can beat the Macho Men? I have watched the Pirates ever since they entered the Super-League, and what has your team ever accomplished? A trip to the Super-League finals? Oh, yes, that was impressive. Of course, you lost to the worst championship team in Super-League history. And then how did you follow that up? You were swept by the Losers last season. But now, suddenly, the Pirates are a team of destiny, and you're going to beat the Macho Men. Coburn has shown me your future, Beet, and dark clouds are coming to swallow you whole!"

GAME NOTES

-The Coburns used just about every available bench bat they had in this game, while the Pirates used just one pinch-hitter, even allowing Hoffman to bat for himself in the tenth inning. While the Pirates did win the game, it is something of an open question as to which strategy was wiser.

-Daniel Bard was better than the Coburns might have thought, although it turned out to not matter at all.

Box Score

Don May posted:

KURSE OF KENNEDY STRIKES AGAIN AS IMPERIALISTS LOSE TO KOLLIDERS

Moncton- The Imperialists just cannot seem to beat this Celtic curse no matter what they do.

In today's game, the Imperialists made a five-run comeback in the top of the ninth inning, taking a 8-7 lead over the Colliders, only to see it all fall apart as Jonathan Papelbon gave up two runs in the bottom of the inning to allow the Colliders to steal back the game and win 9-8.

Jonathan Papelbon explained that, "It wasn't me, man! Ian Kennedy's spirit possessed my body and forced me to pitch this badly. I wasn't in control. If only we could somehow stop Ian Kennedy from using his magical powers to make me play badly, then that would fix everything. But, since we can't, I guess there's nothing we can really do but not blame me at all, because all of this is totally not my fault. It was a curse. Or a ghost. Or a cursed ghost. You know, whatever Ian Kennedy's doing, it's that."

Viscount Slim was not quite so eager to take Papelbon's word for it, "Oh, a ghost made you play so badly, is that right, Mr. Papelbon? How fortunate this ghost only seems to appear whenever you have a bad day on the mound. Or, I suppose, whenever one of my pitchers' arms explodes. In any event, I still refuse to concede that there is a curse." The lights began to flicker as the Viscount said that, and objects began to float through the air, "Yes, well, that is not a particularly impressive display, I hardly think I will fear a curse that manifests itself through cheap stage magic."

A reporter then burst into flame, and began speaking in what appeared to be church Latin as he slowly burned down to a charred skeleton, and then ashes. Viscount was still unimpressed, "Church Latin? Oh, yes, I suppose it is only fitting an Irishman use the degenerate form of the language. Regardless of these theatrics, I remain unmoved by-"

The Viscount's latest dismissal was interrupted by the undead corpse of the Viscount's mother bursting through the door, bellowing in an unnaturally deep voice that, "The Imperialist shall burn forever for their crimes!"

Even more annoyed, the Viscount just rolled his eyes, "As a man of noble birth, I have been trained as a child to regard my family members more as burden than a benefit. I am afraid, Ian Kennedy, that this latest ploy means very little to me. In fact, allow me to demonstrate." The Viscount summoned Eddie Collins, his faithful gun caddy, who provided the Viscount with an elephant gun the Viscount used to blow the head and shoulders off of his reanimated mother.

A slight smile formed on the Viscount's face, "Actually, that last part was a great bit of fun." The Viscount handed the gun back to Collins, "In regards to this curse, my impulse is to handle it in the traditional English fashion, that is, by burning down a large section of Ireland in revenge, but I have been told that the times have changed, and the, for some unknowable reason, the Irish have some sort of legal right not to be burned alive, as ridiculous as that sounds, so I am as yet undecided to my next move.

GAME NOTES

-theacox, who was caught after the game trying to steal one of Scott Rolen's kidneys, admitted that, "Yeah, I'm still a little low on cash, and, yes, I've gone into organ raiding to try and make up the difference, but, man, organ raiding gets a bad rap. Sure, I'm taking a few organs from people who would rather keep them, but those organs are going to help people. I mean, it's mainly rich assholes who can afford to pay for a black market organ, and I'll admit, that time I stole a kidney of a little girl that got transplanted into a mob boss wasn't the proudest moment of my life, but still, it's not so bad!"

Box Score

Team Statistics

Analysis

Yes, you're under your pythag record. No, that does not interest anyone else. I blame it on your bullpen and statistical variation.

Analysis

I never watched He-Man as a kid. Sorry.

Analysis

Alas, poor Bullseyes, we hardly knew ye.

Analysis

RIP

Analysis

Kurse!

Analysis

Well, that is one hell of a heart of a lineup.

Analysis

No major problems.

Analysis

With the league split, I guess the Wests have a fighting chance to survive.

Analysis

Pirates are going to be a problem.

Analysis

The season of miracles continues for the Protectors, who slide into second place in the division, and first place in the wildcard standings.

Analysis

I just want to say that this team gets a lot out of basically nothing.

[ItMG]http://lpix.org/1616470/Team12-EDefence.JPG[/tIMG]

Analysis

The team that could not die!

Sounds like a horror movie, but the real horror is that it's true!

Analysis

Doing better lately, or at least it feels that way.

Analysis

If you go 33-13 the rest of the way, this team can avoid losing 100 games.

Analysis

The Bangers had a bad week, but the Thunder had a worse one, so it all evened out.

Analysis

HUMUNGUS IS COMING

Analysis

It may sound crazy, but I think this time could survive the Gauntlet. They aren't a great team, but they're better than most of the really bad teams.

Analysis

Lukashenko will not intervene in Ukraine, but Lukashenko demand intervention in bullpen!

Analysis

This isn't a team that I want going into the Gauntlet, because I know they'll win it.

Analysis

This team could win a short Gauntlet. I think it's good enough.

Analysis

There's nothing bad about this team other than the fact that it is pure evil and must be purged from this universe.

Analysis

It could be worse. You could actually live in Mitchell, South Dakota.

Analysis

At least this team will live for another season.

Analysis

I think it's high time this team got its gold back, don't you think?

Analysis

Kurse solidarity!

Analysis

I really hope this team doesn't survive. Although if this team killed the Wests, I would laugh and laugh and laugh.

Analysis

It's time to get it together, kensei! Are you getting it together? I don't see you getting it together!

Analysis

The Generics are survivors, plain and simple.

Analysis

The Pirates appear to have turned it up another notch.

Analysis

The spirit of Dusseldorf continues to guide this team, mainly through the dimensions of their stadium that have protected them from the Rakers.

Analysis

Todhunter is killing you. Perhaps he thinks you are really the "Todd of Todds" who he must slay to win his place in history.

Analysis

Can Livan Hernandez save the day?

Of course not! It's Livan Hernandez! Come on!

Analysis

A very bad week, but next week should be better.

Analysis

This team needs to stay in the Dinger Temple. It is its destiny.

Standings

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Flip Trammell and Traynor in the lineups, so Trammell bats 8th and Traynor bats 6th.

Also tweak whatever sliders control when starting pitchers get pulled to pull them a little later. Why my middle reliever leads my bullpen in saves with an ERA above 6 is anyone's guess.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I really should've rested both Rickeys last week. I probably wouldn't be in this situation if I had. Oh well.

Orders:

Lineup Stuff:
1.) Dead Rickey to DL; Molitor replaces him
2.) Tip O'Neill starts every day in LF
3.) Allen (vs. righties) and Frisch (vs. lefties) play 3b
4.) Heilmann to CF for the week
5.) Musial to RF for the week

Pitching Stuff
1.) Swap Joba and Quis's roles in the pen
2.) Messersmith to DL, Perry replaces him at #4
3.) Pierce to long relief; I'm gonna give Dock Ellis 2 starts

Watch this old-rear end video if you haven't already:

FairGame fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 5, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

If Jenkins is able to pitch on Tuesday, then move him to #3 and Shocker to #5.
If not, and I'm guessing he isn't, then I guess there's no choice but to put Shocker at #3 and also shoot myself in the head.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Also, separately!

I am taking offers on 1992 Rickey Henderson, who is currently dead, and was having a terrible season anyway. In the EC he'd be not-dead, and his SL record indicates he'd perform to Rickey specifications in subsequent seasons.

Looking for:
1.) Starting pitching
2.) 3b (must be able to actually field position and not just stand there like young Jim Thome or Dick Allen)
3.) Bullpenning

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Next week is not gonna be fun.

For roster moves, replace Ron LeFlore with Larry Doby in all lineups, and also replace Michael Wuertz with Kerry Wood in the relief position. Thanks.

CFBalla fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Mar 5, 2014

Ginge
Sep 8, 2011

Well, Chippy is already my favourite character!

This kind of feels like my last chance to rest guys, so that's what I'm going to do: Play Morgan at 2B and Furillo at RF for the week, please. The swap at 2B may or may not be permanent, I haven't decided yet.

Zodiac5000
Jun 19, 2006

Protects the Pack!

Doctor Rope
Put Pedro in at SP1, slide everybody down a notch, put Todhunter at LRP, Cone to the minors.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Expansion Cup August Injury Report

Since we're heading into September, there's no need to send injured players to the minors to make room for a replacement. You will have access to your entire roster until the end of the regular season.

Akabira Killer Mikes
Ken Singleton (LF) (Unclutchness) - 33 days

Ankh-Morpork Fat Hippos
Connie Johnson (SP) (Cut hand trying to open a Rod Carew bobblehead) - 7 days

Cobb County Cloverleafs
Ron Oester (2B) (Got roughed up on Badstreet, USA) - 8 days

Big Shell Metal Gears
Dan Quisenberry (RP) (Challenge Pissing) - 17 days

Republic City Fire Ferrets
Joe Cronin (SS) (Spring Break) - 21 days

Salem Witches
Curt Schilling (SP) (Failed saving throw) - Out For Season

Second City Sun Bears
Stephen Strasburg (SP) (3000 miles without changing elbow oil) - 17 days
Ken Griffey (CF) (Ken Griffey) - 34 days

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

FairGame posted:

Also, separately!

I am taking offers on 1992 Rickey Henderson, who is currently dead, and was having a terrible season anyway. In the EC he'd be not-dead, and his SL record indicates he'd perform to Rickey specifications in subsequent seasons.

Looking for:
1.) Starting pitching
2.) 3b (must be able to actually field position and not just stand there like young Jim Thome or Dick Allen)
3.) Bullpenning

Scott Rolen?

tatankatonk
Nov 4, 2011

Pitching is the art of instilling fear.

Expansion Cup August Injury Report
Akabira Killer Mikes
Ken Singleton (LF) (Unclutchness) - 33 days

Move Fournier to LF, Gehrig to first base, Rogers Hornsby to DH, and Joe Gordon to 2B. Replace Tom Seaver and Nolan Ryan with Red Ruffing and Ray Sadecki.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Pander posted:

Scott Rolen?

If you could de-age him by several years and send him along with Aroldis Chapman, sure.

e: there's not a way we can arrange a trade, in all likelihood, but why aren't you using Shin-Soo Choo?

FairGame fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Mar 5, 2014

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

FOR THE DURATION OF THE INJURY, Foxx to SS, Veach to DH

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."
Tanking. Tanking!! :supaburn:

Sport has been going downhill ever since the Irish Humanity question was settled, I warrant.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp

For the time being, some changes:

1. Reinstitute the 1B platoon for this week only. It hits 6th.
2. Al Kaline plays RF.
3. Polanco hits in lead-off.
4. Restore Kevin Brown to the rotation, he pitches in 5th.
5. Dixie Walker plays CF versus RHP this week, hitting 9th/8th in no-DH. Griffey plays against LHP.

I commend this to your approval!

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Well, I was going to move out of the temple, but I'm convinced. The Zombie Llamas will stay in the temple for as long as it is legal/the team is alive.
Onto actual baseball thingamajigs

HanRam to SS
Ott to 3B, moving Cabrera back to 1B
and finally, I-Rod catches for everyone this week. Batting lineup should be

Wilson
Riggs
Ruth
Cabrera
Ott
Bonds
HanRam
I-Rod
Pitcher

EDIT: Whoops, missed the Hornsby injury.

TheFlyingLlama fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 5, 2014

CFBalla
Sep 16, 2009

Yeah, I just made that shot. :smug:

Just realized the Kernels don't have a break until the end of the season for 8 straight weeks of games. Everyone is going to die. (Yeah, I might make some platoons, but it seems for fitting for it to just play out and see what happens, since the Gauntlet resets everything anyway.)

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

FairGame posted:

If you could de-age him by several years and send him along with Aroldis Chapman, sure.

e: there's not a way we can arrange a trade, in all likelihood, but why aren't you using Shin-Soo Choo?

Cause he wasn't on the Reds in 2012.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Jack up my rest settings on the slider or something, while Nero plays the fiddle on the deck of the Titanic

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

vs. RHP no DH

3B McGraw
RF Speaker
1B Stargell
LF Williams
CF Snyder
SS Banks
C Kelly
2B Robinson

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

drat straight I'm going to get my belts back. I hope

It might be easier if the AI doesn't decide John Valentin should catch, though. :stare:

New lineup:

LF - Henderson
2B - Collins
CF - Mantle
DH - Ramirez
1B - Heilmann
SS - Vaughan
RF - Waner
3B - Santo
C - Berra/Torre platoon

Also, since Berra is going to miss the Symphony series, will the AI will be smart enough to sub in Torre for Berra during that time?

GVOLTT
Dec 27, 2012

Honestly, I don't know what I want to put here, so I'm going with this.

CFBalla posted:

Just realized the Kernels don't have a break until the end of the season for 8 straight weeks of games. Everyone is going to die. (Yeah, I might make some platoons, but it seems for fitting for it to just play out and see what happens, since the Gauntlet resets everything anyway.)
My first team suffered the same fate having no breaks after the first week of August, and yeah, pretty much. There's going to be a lot of soreness, if not death, going around. It was a worse scenario for me though, since I was actually fighting for the division lead, or at least a wild card at the time, and ended up losing enough games to end up in the final round of the Gauntlet, which I luckily survived after an epic battle. Granted, part of that was contributed to by entering the Super Lottery, losing to the Macho Men after being an unlucky winner, and then sacrificing my Super Draft picks that season to keep my team, because I somehow had the best record in the league at the time.

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

For the most part, my pitching has been HEROIC, but now that everyone's healthy again, someone's gotta take a break.

Jim Bunning to #5 SP, Ed Killian to LR, Tim Wakefield to AAA.

I want to give Jim Scott a chance to show me what he can do but I don't want to risk anything drastic while my team is doing so well lately.

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:

Second City Sun Bears
Stephen Strasburg (SP) (3000 miles without changing elbow oil) - 17 days
Ken Griffey (CF) (Ken Griffey) - 34 days

I'm danged. I'm royally danged here.

Move Andre Dawson to CF and sit Griffey. Jayson Werth is my new starting RF, so take him off the bench. Bump SP2-5 up a spot, put Hellickson in as SP5, and Chris Archer in as LR.

New lineup since Griff is hurt:
3B Longoria
LF Harper
DH Edgar Martinez
CF Dawson
1B Tino Martinez
RF Werth
2B Zobrist
C Carter
SS Rodriguez

When Stras is better go back to the old pitching rotation. When Griffey gets better go back to the old batting lineup.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I can't find my original roster so I'm going to have to buy archives when the EC ends to find it. In the mean time:

After removing Oester to recover from his boo-boo, the line-up shoud look thusly:

1. Dick "I'm not dead yet" Allen, 3B
2. Willie "Please pay the ransom money, already" Mays, CF
3. Paul "DOA when I reach the SL" O'Neil, RF
4. Rafael "Use more steroids" Palmeiro, RF
5. Barry "Not interesting enough for a nickname" Larkin, ss
6. Willie "Not that Willie" McCovey, LF
7. Orlando "Say it with me" Cepeda, 1B
8. Ivan "Owner couldn't afford a Pizza" Rodriguez, c
9. Michael "At least I'm not Delmon" Young, 2b

Bench: Just promote the rest of my minor league players

Pitching:
Swap Billy O'Dell for Robinson in the 'pen and promote the rest of my pitchers to be relievers (I can do that, right?)

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

tadashi posted:

I can't find my original roster so I'm going to have to buy archives when the EC ends to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3609167&userid=92702#post425822729

cbx
Dec 4, 2007

Smasher Dynamo's assistant of the Super-League.

tadashi posted:

I can't find my original roster so I'm going to have to buy archives when the EC ends to find it. In the mean time:

After removing Oester to recover from his boo-boo, the line-up shoud look thusly:

1. Dick "I'm not dead yet" Allen, 3B
2. Willie "Please pay the ransom money, already" Mays, CF
3. Paul "DOA when I reach the SL" O'Neil, RF
4. Rafael "Use more steroids" Palmeiro, RF
5. Barry "Not interesting enough for a nickname" Larkin, ss
6. Willie "Not that Willie" McCovey, LF
7. Orlando "Say it with me" Cepeda, 1B
8. Ivan "Owner couldn't afford a Pizza" Rodriguez, c
9. Michael "At least I'm not Delmon" Young, 2b

Bench: Just promote the rest of my minor league players

Pitching:
Swap Billy O'Dell for Robinson in the 'pen and promote the rest of my pitchers to be relievers (I can do that, right?)

One thing that most of us owners do is create a team spreadsheet using Google Docs (or Sheets, whatever they call it now), and store their 40 man roster, their team transactions and their gameplans on it. It's free, easy to access, doesn't require any extra software... keeps everything in one place.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

FairGame posted:

Also, separately!

Looking for:
1.) Starting pitching
3.) Bullpenning

I can give you 2008 Chipper Jones:

and uh Peter Moylan I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warm Sarsaparilla
Jan 3, 2012

It don't count until October. Coburn abides.

DL Brett, start Schmidtty. Call up Thome. Invert usage of Hartnett and Howard. (If that's a pain in the rear end, just start Hartnett and have Howard catch for Siebert.)

Send down Reardon, call up El Tiante.