Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Clockwork Gadget posted:

I grabbed the Vassal modules, and while most of the cards were alright, I was unimpressed with the quality of the tiles and tokens

That's sadly also the nature of the beast, yeah. Sounds like you've got a good plan, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

What does the hive mind think about War of the Ring?

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

fozzy fosbourne posted:

It's fun

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I got to try Village and Navegador. I thought both were quite fun, but neither left me with a "must buy right now" impression.

Villages felt like a very typical worker placement game, although I did like the worker death mechanic. I went for a market place strategy where I hogged the crafts shop until it ran out of pieces, always hit market first to get the extra buy, and then purposefully buried all my pieces in the unmarked graves to end the game quickly so no one could build up points using the travel, church, or generation book mechanics. I ended up winning, and the guy who owned it said he had never seen someone purposefully end the game with unmarked graves like that before. All in all it was pretty cool, but I don't think the one unique mechanic would keep it infinitely interesting.

Navegador just seemed like an incredibly solid middle weight rondel game, sort of like the Puerto Rico of rondel games. It's hard to tell how balanced it is, given most of us were new players, but the two of us that went factory/docks heavy pulled way ahead in points due to the 2x VP multipliers those buildings get. I never built more than 1 ship. It seems like it would be more challenging to win via navigation.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

fozzy fosbourne posted:

S'alright. I mean, it's an X+ to hit wargame with no CRT nuance and a good bit of diceyness. But the wargame is only one dimension. The real game is in balancing the two victory paths.

If anything, War of the Ring is maybe best game I've played with X+ to hit*, partly because the military game is so grossly slanted in the Shadow's favor. A string of hot or cold dice isn't the swingy difference between a breakthrough or a rout. It's the difference between the Shadow winning ground quickly or winning ground slowly. In this way, it becomes an influenceable timer within a bell curve range, rather than a real hinge point for victory.

*(The other contenders are CitOW, Eclipse, and BSG. But the combat system is the weakest point in each of those games, whereas it kinda sorta works for War of the Ring.)

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
War of the Ring is awesome. It's innovative, well balanced and thematic. It's really a two player game (despite the advertised higher count, although I must admit I haven't tried it with more) but for me it scratches a similar itch as twilight struggle. It's not very similar mechanically but as a tense and strategic 2p 2-3 hour strategy game it fits a similar niche. I think the dice combat model is totally fine and not really that swingy due to the way the game is balanced (shadow having infinite reinforcements and allies having strongholds making it a time factor rather than a back and forth) and how units stack/interact (provide more dice or rerolls).

I love the asymmetric victory strategies as I feel they are hugely thematic and evocative of LOTR. It feels like a battle between creeping inevitable death and valiant last stands while your desperate saviours evade capture (while gradually getting picked off or running off to hold back the flood).

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

edit: Only people that havent tried it before? gently caress :(

Well in any case you could at least do Aftermath to see if PBP format would even work well for ImpAss, unless you're set on doing an entire campaign in which case. Good luck to you though!

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 15, 2015

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Here's a complete list of boardgames on sale in Amazon's Prime Day sale:

Stratego*

* US only

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Welp, played some board games again for the first time in what feels like forever. Red Dragon Inn is still terrible and Eclipse is still a good game (albeit dominated by politics). I did not flip a colony pod until turn 3, but won the game anyway. Also, Plasma Missile are still dumb without the expansion.

Heisenberg1276
Apr 13, 2007

Flipswitch posted:

Tragedy Looper came into stock suddenly today at my FLGS so I had to snag that up, quite looking forward to playing it.

It seems to be appearing all over the place now.

I picked it up two weeks ago but so far have only managed one disappointing game with my wife. Will try to bring it to the table tonight and see if it's as good as everyone says.

Robust Laser
Oct 13, 2012

Dance, Spaceman, Dance!
I was walking by the toy store in the mall, and Tragedy Looper was prominently on the shelf. I thought I was mistaken at first, but no, the anime was unmistakable. Really glad I managed to just nab it like that.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Playing Ora et Labora tonight with my wife, it's nice but what the gently caress is up with the rules for ending the two player short game? We've sort of been spinning our wheels for a while because getting the resources to empty the building market seems less valuable than just running our engines. Is this a thing that stops happening when you get better at the game? Even if it is I don't really like the implication that the end game involves counting up both players' (open information) scores to tell if you should end the game.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I think it's a lovely little game and I've played way too little of it the past few years. The asymmetric setting, different goals and very different feel of playing for Free Peoples and Shadow work great. Even when the battles come down to throwing a handful of dice (with playing event cards as combat events), it works well in the end.

I've kind of wanted to play a three player game with Free Peoples on one side, Mordor & Isengard on the other. That kind of feels like it could work out, even when splitting the Free Peoples between two players doesn't.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!

Jedit posted:

Stratego*

* US only

I got quite excited yesterday and made sure my wish list was up to date

:argh:

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
My wallet is grateful.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013
I assume Mice and Mystics isn't very popular here? Thinking of getting it for when my 8 year old nephew visits next week.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

lordsummerisle posted:

I assume Mice and Mystics isn't very popular here? Thinking of getting it for when my 8 year old nephew visits next week.

It's got nice colourful pieces, and a story book you can read together, and fairly simple mechanics. Seems perfectly suited for an 8 year old.

It's not popular here because most posters aern't 8.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Corbeau posted:

Welp, played some board games again for the first time in what feels like forever. Red Dragon Inn is still terrible and Eclipse is still a good game (albeit dominated by politics). I did not flip a colony pod until turn 3, but won the game anyway. Also, Plasma Missile are still dumb without the expansion.

There's a new Eclipse expansion not too far down the road. Nothing said about what's going to happen in it just yet though.

It always winds me up that people say the missiles are absolutely fine but they dominate the discussion of the game. And if a player has them and nobody else does, people are scared of them. Okay sure there's ways around it but gently caress your whole game shouldn't be based around countering one single thing.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Rutibex posted:

It's got nice colourful pieces, and a story book you can read together, and fairly simple mechanics. Seems perfectly suited for an 8 year old.

It's not popular here because most posters aern't 8.

Well, he will only be here for a short week. So I hope i could play it with the SO later. He isn't a native english speaker either, so I might need to translate on the fly, though I think that should be fine.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.
Is your SO willing to play other designer games you like, or is he/she a part of the "UGH BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK IN THOSE GAMES" crowd? Because the gameplay on its own won't hold your attention for two long.

If you're looking for a light and easy dungeon crawl, you might also want to check out Claustrophobia - while the game is a bit too light for my taste, it's a pretty cool design.

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

Lichtenstein posted:

Is your SO willing to play other designer games you like, or is he/she a part of the "UGH BUT YOU HAVE TO THINK IN THOSE GAMES" crowd? Because the gameplay on its own won't hold your attention for two long.

If you're looking for a light and easy dungeon crawl, you might also want to check out Claustrophobia - while the game is a bit too light for my taste, it's a pretty cool design.

She plays and loves a lot of designer games. Is however prone to major analysis paralysis in games she likes like Castles of Burgundy, Mage Knight and Dungeon Petz.

Thought it would be nice for a game where we can just relax and see what happens when we don't want to tax our brains.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

I'd probably err on the side of Claustrophobia then, but YMMV. It should be more interesting, but if you're a reseller rather than a collector, it may have sense to burn through M&M's story book and then move on to other games.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Jedit posted:

Stratego*

* US only

welp looks like Cardhaus shall be hit up for Caylus after all

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jedit posted:

Stratego*

* US only

:negative:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Germany actually has poo poo like Marco Polo and Istanbul on sale. Thanks obamazon

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
Played Pictomania for the first time last night and had a blast. If you haven't played it, get on it.

Turns out it was Zee Garcia's copy that someone bought at Dice Tower Con.

:swoon:

PM me if you want to touch me.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Jedit posted:

Stratego*

* US only

This is actually what I came to the thread for today, thanks!

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Oldstench posted:

Played Pictomania for the first time last night and had a blast. If you haven't played it, get on it.

I played Five Tribes with that dude (and Bruno Cathala) at Gen Con last year. Had no idea who he was. Nice guy.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

haha yeah those dang normies right. those dang normies

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

Fungah! posted:

Alas, that was a direct quotation. I admit though the caps lock was poetic license.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lichtenstein posted:

Alas, that was a direct quotation. I admit though the caps lock was poetic license.

that's maybe the worst i know you are but what am i i've ever seen

DrSalt
Jun 27, 2010
I'm teaching Mage Knight this weekend to a couple either new or inexperienced players. I can explain the four basic characters and some basic strategy for them but have only played Wolfhawk once and haven't played Krang yet. Can anyone give me a short description of them and some basic strategy? I'd rather not throw them in blind in case they decide to play either character.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

lordsummerisle posted:

It's a great game and will likely hold your attention, nevermind your 8 year old, for a long time. Have fun!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl

DrSalt posted:

I'm teaching Mage Knight this weekend to a couple either new or inexperienced players. I can explain the four basic characters and some basic strategy for them but have only played Wolfhawk once and haven't played Krang yet. Can anyone give me a short description of them and some basic strategy? I'd rather not throw them in blind in case they decide to play either character.

Wolfhawk's big thing is her mobility. Swift Reflexes and Tirelessness give her more early movement power than any other character. Use it to take the forward position and get first crack at juicy targets like Monasteries. On the counterpoint, she has the weakest skill tokens in the game. Wolf's Howl and Know Your Prey are her strongest skills, followed by the two healing skills. Otherwise, be prepared to scrounge the common skill offer.

Note that, while her skills sorta reward her a little for going without units, this is NOT a reason to ignore units. Ignoring units is suicide. At best, it's a reason to be okay with acquiring units a little slower than the other characters. Use that extra time to knock over an early monastery/dungeon/den.

I've got less experience with Krang, but he seems to live or die on Arcane Disguise, Battle Frenzy, and/or Regenerate. Whichever of those skills you pick up first, build around it.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Fungah! posted:

To be fair, death to the neurotypicals.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

I've got less experience with Krang, but he seems to live or die on Arcane Disguise, Battle Frenzy, and/or Regenerate. Whichever of those skills you pick up first, build around it.

Yeah, Krang's an odd mix. Arcane Disguise is his most powerful skill and I'd say it's his signature skill from the way it synergizes with his personal cards - it lets him roam and pillage all he wants for only minor side effects, and lets him use Ruthless Coercion as many times as possible to supercharge the benefit he gets from units. Regenerate and Battle Frenzy just make him tremendously tough on top of that.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Those Helpers of Catan cards seem really useful, and there's a .pdf of them available of BGG, so I think I'll be printing those off. Catan is a favourite of my mother's, but both my father and I find it a right drag to play sometimes so this might help mitigate that somewhat.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Oldstench posted:

That photo is masterfully cropped to make it almost look like he has a head full of hair

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

I have a few questions.

I'll be teaching Mage Knight as a completely new player myself. I've read the walkthrough a few times, but are there any sticking points for the initial scenario that people get hung up on?

I'm also looking at picking up Nations since Through the Ages is apparently impossible to find but seems to be due for a reprint around Essen. I have played neither, but I love civ style games. Will Nations be a good way to build up to TtA when it is reprinted?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Congratulations, you found a picture of me.