Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Cricket
This poll is closed.
Blackface in crowd 129 55.36%
References to Lord of the Rings 104 44.64%
Total: 233 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
As sad as it was to see ponting get out that way it was a great delivery. Good bowling by kallis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

MacDougall posted:

Yeah that is Kallis?

Unless Morkel bowled using Kallis's exact action for that one ball?

Huh you're right. I could have sword it was the snorkel.

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Haha Haze scoring freely already.

Boonys Cut Shot
Nov 5, 2004

Elite athlete

MacDougall posted:

Yeah that is Kallis?

Unless Morkel bowled using Kallis's exact action for that one ball?
And also got shorter and fatter

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
That turned a bit.

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Gee I guess Haddin dropping Root, Wood giving us a touch up yesterday and Smith throwing his wicket away against Ali mattered.

England have been the much better side but boy we could have done better.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Hahah Root is ridiculous.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Rooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot

MacDougall
Apr 21, 2008

Definitely Australian
Lyon and Haze to get a gently caress you half century each and Australia to lose by 14 runs?

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Haze that's stuffed up your average mate :(

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I'll take that. Watson looked so upset.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Australia must be desperately hoping for a Joe Root injury.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I hope it rains all day tomorrow.

(Only in Cardiff though, not at my house).

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

Dead Goon posted:

Australia must be desperately hoping for a Joe Root injury.

Or we could have just caught him when he was on zero

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

That would be far too easy!

[edit] Or not as it turned out though :)

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Studies have proven that Root is the luckiest fucker on the planet.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.
can we cut back to the drunk Aussie blokes singing 4-1, 4-1, 4-1

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Lucky enough to get Man of the Match

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
we need to start collecting the sad clarke pictures for the inevitable english 5-0 triumph

Negligent posted:

can we cut back to the drunk Aussie blokes singing 4-1, 4-1, 4-1

i expect you to not post in this thread again until you have stuart broad in his rightful place

Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

He (Root) got out to Johnson a few times in the Australian ashes early quite similar to how he knicked Starc.

He created his luck mostly though. It was a pretty great innings. We need to go back to the drawing board.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

IceAgeComing posted:

i expect you to not post in this thread again until you have stuart broad in his rightful place

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Nasser just gave Root the "no obvious flaw" kiss of death

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
He'll get worked out eventually. Every batsman does, its how they deal with it that sets apart the great ones from the simply good.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Joe Root: England's Steve Smith

except he looks even more like '90s Ellen deGeneres

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

At the moment the only thing teams need to work out against Root is how to actually catch the ball when he hits it in the air at them.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

not picking an elderly cheater to keep wicket would be start

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Well, that went well :).

I must say, I was impressed by Ponting's commentary. He didn't set the world on fire, but he was thoughtful and measured, and he fitted well with Atherton and Co. Is he sticking around, or will Warne be displacing him as Sky's token Aussie?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Warne will be back for the third test I think, when he's done playing poker. I hope they keep Ponting on though, he did alright.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Ok I've barely paid attention to cricket since the World Cup and I was under the impression that everything about the English team was in shambles. What happened here?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

New Zealand played them into form :)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Dead Goon posted:

Warne will be back for the third test I think, when he's done playing poker. I hope they keep Ponting on though, he did alright.

Warne's made the money, so he's already banked $15,000, but he's short stacked so might not last much past today

update: he finished in 597th place out of 6,500 for a payout of just shy of $18k. Not too bad a run tbh

ShaneMacGowansTeeth fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 11, 2015

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

zakharov posted:

Ok I've barely paid attention to cricket since the World Cup and I was under the impression that everything about the English team was in shambles. What happened here?

The Test team was always in a slightly better state than the ODI team. Correspondingly, Australia's ODI team is in a better state than their Test team because they have useful limited-over players like Maxwell, Finch and Faulkner who don't play Test cricket. And as mentioned above, several England players found form and confidence in the New Zealand series.

Also Clarke didn't captain Australia well in England's first innings and they were playing from behind the rest of the way.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Also

serious gaylord posted:

Studies have proven that Root is the luckiest fucker on the planet.

Because he is being pretty silly right now.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Paul.Power posted:

Well, that went well :).

I must say, I was impressed by Ponting's commentary. He didn't set the world on fire, but he was thoughtful and measured, and he fitted well with Atherton and Co. Is he sticking around, or will Warne be displacing him as Sky's token Aussie?

The main thing Ponting needs to improve on is knowing that he can talk less on TV commentary.
For radio, there's absolutely a need to keep nattering away about something or other, but the Benaud Rule applies far more on TV - only speak when you've got something to say that'll enhance what we've already seen. Atherton's probably the best Sky have got for that at the moment.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

kingturnip posted:

The main thing Ponting needs to improve on is knowing that he can talk less on TV commentary.
For radio, there's absolutely a need to keep nattering away about something or other, but the Benaud Rule applies far more on TV - only speak when you've got something to say that'll enhance what we've already seen. Atherton's probably the best Sky have got for that at the moment.

yeah, the one thing I noticed about Ponting is that he would keep talking as the reviews were being shown and talking over the third umpire. Apart from that, I was very impressed with him, certainly more than Warne who can be a bit too "blokey blokey matey matey"

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
After CA put Gilly at the top of their list of best players since 2001 (or whatever year) it's going to be funny when they stick with Haddin for the rest of the tour.

Went to bed when Australia were 1/88 and was hoping for something other than a complete capitulation. Slow pitches broke Australian brains in the UAE, dunno why I thought it might be different this time around.

nzspambot
Mar 26, 2010

5-0 England

I'll need a new avatar soon

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Like everyone else, I don't particularly like Cook as captain, but I don't think I can stomach another series of Warne picking at absolutely everything he does. You can't take it seriously because it's some weird personal thing, it's bizarre.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lionel Richie posted:

Like everyone else, I don't particularly like Cook as captain, but I don't think I can stomach another series of Warne picking at absolutely everything he does. You can't take it seriously because it's some weird personal thing, it's bizarre.

It is all a bit weird isn't it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
He was either being quirky and inventive at points in this game, or he was just getting out of the way and letting bowlers set their own weird fields as they saw fit.