Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

ImPureAwesome posted:

You can turn it off in the options (unless your party host has it on)

What Brannock is describing isn't "Skirmish while searching", the setting you or your group's leader can toggle in the options menu. When people leave the game after the round, and there's not two full teams in the bucket when the next match "starts" then the game just goes into skirmish mode while it waits to fill up the actual real match you're in.

e: new page content

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Golden weapons: http://masteroverwatch.com/news/19-preview-of-gold-weapons-competitive-mode-rewards-from-ptr
They look gaudy as hell.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I don't get why people think D.Va is bad. She's loving awesome and godly if you practice her and understand her best use in a given situation. I think the problem really is she's utterly unique, and while she has the tank status, she's very much a rogue style play, flanking the opposition and causing their Rein to turn and expose himself to your buddies, killing snipers and Torb turrets, catapulting splodeymech and nuking a team...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qcc7tGG25nM

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Holy poo poo now I can ruin *ANY* skin I own :o

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

finally, I can become my favorite x-man: goldballs

Xaerael posted:

I don't get why people think D.Va is bad. She's loving awesome and godly if you practice her and understand her best use in a given situation. I think the problem really is she's utterly unique, and while she has the tank status, she's very much a rogue style play, flanking the opposition and causing their Rein to turn and expose himself to your buddies, killing snipers and Torb turrets, catapulting splodeymech and nuking a team...

winston is better at basically everything d.va can do except for taking out sentry nests. she just dies too fast and has no follow up so anyone that can't kill you before you even reach them can just leave. she works fine against people who don't watch the flank but if you're paying attention, she's very easy to deal with. that being said, I've never seen an all d.va team lose and I have seen several.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Xaerael posted:

I think the real answer is somewhere in the middle; She's a lot better than people give her credit for, because people don't pay attention to quite how good Shift is, and how quickly it cools down. But 'better than given credit for' doesn't automatically mean 'good'. She's still probably the worst choice you can make for any given role - There's better Tanks, better flankers and they all come with less insane hitboxes. That doesn't make her any less fun (she's one of those great examples where a character can be 'bad' from a power sense, but still super fun to play) mind.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

There's something really funny about Junkrat's golden lovely held together with duct tape trash gun

Lucio's gold gun would go well with his one legendary skin. Tracer and Reinhardt also have gold skins that would match pretty well.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Macaluso posted:

There's something really funny about Junkrat's golden lovely held together with duct tape trash gun

Lucio's gold gun would go well with his one legendary skin. Tracer and Reinhardt also have gold skins that would match pretty well.

There are a lot of "purple" skins with golden elements (Soldier: 76, Torbjorn, Widowmaker, both Symmetra's skins) in addition to Gearbot Bastion and Sunyatta. You can make it work, but in most cases it'll remain a bit silly. Like Pigpen Roadhog with a shiny golden skin.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jun 21, 2016

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

Are those golden guns likely to so that you get a gun for one, preferred hero only?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I bet those golden guns will have audio glitches so even fewer people will be able to hear reaper murdering the medic.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

Bolivar posted:

Are those golden guns likely to so that you get a gun for one, preferred hero only?

I think it's the Developer Update is the only source about these cosmetic weapons so far: https://youtu.be/GAOaXSVZVTM?t=612

FAUXTON posted:

I bet those golden guns will have audio glitches so even fewer people will be able to hear reaper murdering the medic.

They will do less damage if you are on the red team.

:dva:

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Snatch Duster posted:

gettin real tired with the lack of roadhog memes and fan art.

we get it, reaper and dva are little kids while soldier 76 is dad loving christ

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

reaper and dva may be little kids, but zenyatta is a rock star

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

We all rock within the iris

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Bolivar posted:

You buy them individually for 300 "competition" points each, which you earn playing ranked mode. The try hard thread has a more detailed post which I'm sure will be copied here by the time I finish posting this

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
This is going to be WoW pvp rewards mk1 all over again isn't it.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Papercut posted:

You buy them individually for 300 "competition" points each, which you earn playing ranked mode. The try hard thread has a more detailed post which I'm sure will be copied here by the time I finish posting this

Get the points with a real character, buy the symmetra gold gun, go in to quick play and laugh as people presume you're really good at symmetra and could carry the team.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

piratepilates posted:

Get the points with a real character, buy the symmetra gold gun, go in to quick play and laugh as people presume you're really good at symmetra and could carry the team.

or just carry the team anyway cause symmetra owns

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Cordyceps posted:

:(

Also I just went up against the 5x D.Va comp. I'd rather take a leaver penalty than play against these lovely unfun gimmick teams, I can't wait until they limit hero stacking.

This morning on Hanamura attack, two people picked Genji pretty much right away, so all but one of us also went Genji (the other went Lucio). The other team had a Sym and Torb so very quickly we realized this wasn't going to work and we went 6 D.Va. We capped A, but once the enemy realized what we were doing, they went Triple Mei, Double Zarya, and Bastion. Even so we almost won, but a well-timed Blizzard from one of the Mei's combined with a Graviton surge finally cleared us all up.

Countblanc posted:

if it makes you feel any better it's probably not nearly as useful as you think, it seems the reload cancels have weird coding where you can't actually fire for several frames after returning to "neutral," which mostly negates any bonus. even Reaper's enormous reload cancel animation actually only ends up saving two (2) frames because of it.

That's not weird coding, but actually the intended effect. Blizzard didn't want animation cancelling to have an enormous advantage.

quote:

No, it does not help you. Reloading and recovery times are both paused when you start quick melee and then resumed when you finish quick melee. This allows you do get some quick damage in if you need it without being able to abuse it.

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745186024?page=5#post-86

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Kerrrrrrr posted:

or just carry the team anyway cause symmetra owns

Source your quotes please.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

That's not weird coding, but actually the intended effect. Blizzard didn't want animation cancelling to have an enormous advantage.

Sometimes I kind of miss the days when developers were completely clueless about this stuff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if there is any one hero that cannot possibly carry a team by themselves, it's symmetra

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I posted this in the Tryhard thread, but I'll post it here too since it's relevant:

Some more information about competitive mode thanks to Koreanese:

The first box explains skill rating (1~100). You play ten placement matches before you get your skill rating, and then from there it acts as a percentile rank - wins give you more skill rating, losses give you less. This seems appropriate to me because of the bell curve, although I doubt they'll put 50 as the median.

The second box just tells us what we mostly already know; achieving the objective in a match nets you score, and after both games the higher scored team wins. In the event of a tie, a sudden death is played on the same map. It sounds like they aren't considering time at all, but might consider checkpoints?

Third box talks about the season, along with this image showing season rewards:

The first is a player icon, the second is the spray, and the third is "competition points," which is the method of obtaining the highly coveted and totally not at all garish golden guns. They each cost 300 competition points. Presumably, given the information that better players will unlock them sooner, your skill rating determines how many competition points you will receive.

The first season's end date is August 18, at least for Korea. I don't see why much of this would change for Americas/Europes.

Thanks some random inven person who translated this stuff on Reddit.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Unless the other team is brain dead a level 1 should never get a kill on anything that has more than 10 HP. It has abysmal DPS and dies super quickly.

I think Torb's level 2 turret is fine, and his ult is great, but the level 1 is utterly useless. If the enemy has sight of it while its setting up, it blows up instantly. Once it finishes building, you need 5 hits on it that are completely uninterrupted to get it to level 2. That's never going to happen if the enemy has sight of it. Its so weak I don't think throwing it out as a distraction is even a good idea. A distraction needs to have some HP to survive, which the level 1 turret does not. You're just giving the enemy a little bit of ult charge.

Basically if you can't reliably get a turret up to level 2 you shouldn't even bother picking Torb because you'll just spend the game frustrated.

The level 1 turret is literally free. It costs you nothing. No scrap, and a short cooldown (if it even has one). There's no downside to using it. The level 2 takes like four seconds to build. No, you can't plop it down right in front of the enemy push and upgrade it to level 2 in full view of the enemy, but that's because he's not supposed to do that and you're using him wrong. Put it where the enemy is about to be, not where they are now, and then shoot them with your amazing gun before they can kill it. If they do kill it, whatever, no big deal - finish the person you're killing, and then duck behind cover for a few seconds to toss up a new one.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

if there is any one hero that cannot possibly carry a team by themselves, it's symmetra

I had a 4 gold game as symmetra on a shutout of hanamura A defense last night, it owned.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Main Paineframe posted:

The level 1 turret is literally free. It costs you nothing. No scrap, and a short cooldown (if it even has one). There's no downside to using it.

Yeah it's a lot like the gunslinger engy in TF2. Just flick it out anywhere, around a corner, whatever. Then run the other way and bounce around distracting the enemy while your little turret spanks them from behind. I think once people spend a little time with it they'll start to realize just how useful an instant distraction can be.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

The level 1 turret is literally free. It costs you nothing. No scrap, and a short cooldown (if it even has one). There's no downside to using it. The level 2 takes like four seconds to build. No, you can't plop it down right in front of the enemy push and upgrade it to level 2 in full view of the enemy, but that's because he's not supposed to do that and you're using him wrong. Put it where the enemy is about to be, not where they are now, and then shoot them with your amazing gun before they can kill it. If they do kill it, whatever, no big deal - finish the person you're killing, and then duck behind cover for a few seconds to toss up a new one.

turrets don't cost scrap to upgrade and they have a pretty long cooldown to plop down - I think 8 seconds?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

i think you mean dva

symmetra carries the team through space and time then slaughters her enemies with the power of lasers

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
symmetra is actually pretty good for a lot of point A's. She's definitely worse the less distance the teleporter covers but even on points closer to the defense spawn cutting the time for a mercy runback can save games

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i think you mean dva

symmetra carries the team through space and time then slaughters her enemies with the power of lasers

nah d.va could do it better than symmetra since she has better mobility options and her ult can kill people

symmetra's really good at supporting her team and making them better, not carrying them on her back herself

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

Yeah it's a lot like the gunslinger engy in TF2. Just flick it out anywhere, around a corner, whatever. Then run the other way and bounce around distracting the enemy while your little turret spanks them from behind. I think once people spend a little time with it they'll start to realize just how useful an instant distraction can be.

Other way around works, too - toss up the turret in a place with somewhat limited sightlines, then circle around to where someone would have to stand to destroy it - for example, toss it up in a hallway, then flank around to the other end of the hallway and it's pretty much guaranteed there'll be some idiot sitting there juking it and not paying any attention to their surroundings.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Zoness posted:

symmetra is actually pretty good for a lot of point A's. She's definitely worse the less distance the teleporter covers but even on points closer to the defense spawn cutting the time for a mercy runback can save games

Alternatively, if you can get a teleporter up behind the attacker's lines you could really drive them crazy. This needs a non-stupid team though, or they'll just all end up in the backfield while the enemy dances unimpeded on the last point.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

nah d.va could do it better than symmetra since she has better mobility options and her ult can kill people

symmetra's really good at supporting her team and making them better, not carrying them on her back herself

i mean i guess it depends on how you define carrying

if the symmetra's the one doing all the work at holding the checkpoint and flank paths with sentries and chainsaws, plus getting the team back to the fight with teleporter, that sounds like carrying to me. i've done it plenty of times and gotten potg and gold medals for elims/objective kills etc.

obviously this only applies to defense games but that should go without saying.

symmetra owns.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

Other way around works, too - toss up the turret in a place with somewhat limited sightlines, then circle around to where someone would have to stand to destroy it - for example, toss it up in a hallway, then flank around to the other end of the hallway and it's pretty much guaranteed there'll be some idiot sitting there juking it and not paying any attention to their surroundings.

I think it was King's Row I was playing, I got killed trying to strafe and shoot a turret and thought to myself, "man that thing nuked me". The kill cam popped up and it was the Torb, as expected, however, instead of being dead or standing around doing nothing in his back line, he was hiding in the alleyway, watching my back as I strafed the turret, then walked up behind me and right clicked, slinking back into the shadows to wait for the next victim.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
"Carrying" implies skill disparity almost by definition and with that in mind any hero can carry. Symmetra's not even the hardest or least likely, compared to the other supports.

(Flip side is that with good matchmaking it's unlikely that anyone will be carrying most of the time, barring really screwy premades.)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i mean i guess it depends on how you define carrying

if the symmetra's the one doing all the work at holding the checkpoint and flank paths with sentries and chainsaws, plus getting the team back to the fight with teleporter, that sounds like carrying to me. i've done it plenty of times and gotten potg and gold medals for elims/objective kills etc.

obviously this only applies to defense games but that should go without saying.

symmetra owns.

symmetra can't fight multiple opponents at once because her beam locks on. the beam can do a lot of damage, but it's a set amount of damage like winston so there's no room for skill involved. anyone with decent aim can easily outgun a lone symmetra and a lot of characters can out position her because symmetra has no mobility options. her alt fire is also very powerful but it has a charge time and is the slowest projectile in the game; you're not gonna hit much outside of reinhardt and people that don't know you're there. her turrets are super useful but not offensively. they slow people down and let you and your team know where the enemy is coming from, but they're also really easy to kill. you can get a shitload of assists with them but you're not gonna be taking on the enemy team by using your turrets because you can only shoot one of them while they can all shoot you or otherwise just ignore you entirely because your turrets can't move. setting up in a room somewhere isn't helping your team at all even if you get kills because of this. the teleporter is incredibly useful but, again, it's for supporting your team. the shields are the same way. she can make an even match go in your favor, but you can't be a dm god with symmetra because her kit doesn't allow for it. mostly her eliminations are gonna be coming from assists off of good turret placement, which is also important since that's how she builds up charge for the teleporter

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The golden Zenyatta orbs own

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Offensive Symmetra on chokepoints can be a nightmare though. Set up a bunch of turrets under the bridge on the first point in Gibraltar and jump behind the enemy lines when they first run into them and you'll laser chainsaw a bunch of them to death before they realize what the hell is going on.

At the very least they'll have to turn around to deal with you (and ignore the laser turrets and the rest of your team) which can be super useful as well.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
I wish they would change Symmetra's turret deploy animation to mimic that of the TF2 Wrangler Engineer. I'd feel better if I could just chuck them at walls and let the AI stick them rather than play "is it blue or red?" every match.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

It's all about Randy "Zenyatta" Johnson throwing fast balls at peoples faces.