Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Back when I was a conservative I'd often lurk in LF ostensibly for "opposition research" but mostly because it was actually interesting and hilarious, whereas conservative sites were merely spiteful and reassuring. I remember watching the Half Hour News Hour on Fox News religiously because I just had to believe that there was more to the American Right than "This isn't a problem, it's actually good. Also, if it's a problem maybe Al Gore should have solved it." It was never funny. Watching it again today is even more painful.

I voted against Obama in 2008 and spite voted GOP in 2010 even though the ACA probably saved my life because I was prepared to believe that the Free Market wasn't bullshit. Eventually though, birtherism, warmongering and demanding 24/7 rage against homosexuals and muslims will either break you from the party or break you from yourself.

Frankly, the King Obama saga complete with "Now You are Immune to Rubella" was the single most hilarious thing I'd ever seen because it really was a perfect comedic reflection of what those around me perceived him as back in 2008. Way back in 2006 my College Republican acquaintances were already seizing on the Pinochet helicopter memes and blatantly racist political cartoons and I still trusted them for an absurd amount of time because I was convinced Dems were just as bad somehow. Basically, I'm saying Something Awful saved my soul and I actually volunteer with my old church every now and again because of a bunch of funny weirdo Maoists with a bizarre encyclopedic knowledge of the ways in which the world sucks and how it could and should be made to suck less.

I will go to my grave with "Praise be to Allah, Seenyor" on my lips thanks to this site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Gas this thread

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It also removes any blame or personal responsibility from everyone and lets people get comfortable with horrendous poo poo.

"Well I would be a good person, but someone was mean so I guess that means I'm okay with (INSERT THING THEY CLAIM TO DISAGREE WITH)"

It means you have no actual convictions, you're just smart enough to realize that you can't outwardly support whatever and have the most mealy-mouthed and lovely way of distancing yourself from your opinions.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
uh ok.

so someone who has ever voted republican is now eternally bad for even looking into getting into more progressive groups? I dunno pal, theres only a certain amount of times im going to get called a baby killer before id choose to not associate with folks that call me that? I'll just stay registered an independent and try to vote the best I can :shrug: sorry if i have to be a proper member of the Kommie klub in order to not be a coward but hey you do you.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

fool_of_sound posted:

Gas this thread

I'm having a hard time finding the SA sagas in these posts as well, but :shrug:

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
In the real world, outside of the "anything other than full communism now is a waste of time/actual fascism" bubble, people's political views do move, but slowly. Demanding people pass ideological purity tests before you'll even speak to them is a remarkably ineffective tool for changing the world, but a very good one for being a smug self-congratulatory rear end in a top hat.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Burt Sexual posted:

I'm having a hard time finding the SA sagas in these posts as well, but :shrug:

it started off i thought as a GBS topic, sorry for bringing political partisanship into it friends. that's my bad i apologize.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Hey friends, I feel this discussion would be better had in the Mod Feedback thread in QCS. If you want to talk about specific unrepentant shitlers as an example then that's fine here, but whichever side of this slapfight you fall on you're gonna get better results in the actual thread for forums meta discussion.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Krotera posted:

hey paladinus i consistently like your posts

That's your biggest mistake.
I'll reply to this post just because it was addressed to me directly and then remove myself from the discussion, because, sheesh, have I read the room wrong. Not trying to score the final point or whatever, but actually send a message of hope (I hope).
There was a brief period in my life where the whole Trump thing really felt like almost the end of the world for me for a variety of reasons. But then I remembered, that a) America (and other countries) was always a bit poo poo, as you rightfully said, and in many ways continues to be poo poo b) every nazi rally is met with a huge counter-protest, much bigger that the rally itself, and c) Trump is literally mentally ill, and is surrounded by highly incompetent people. Please try to remember that when you feel Trump's presidency is something completely unique. Succumbing to fear is ultimately a losing move in this whole ordeal, especially considering that 'we' are winning.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

Yeah, this is too much of a dumb derail, apologies for my contribution.

To try to get back on-topic, can anyone find/summarise the whole making GBS threads in a Gamecube/lost fingat thread? I think it involved some kind of charity drive that somehow ended up with people blowing up games consoles with improvised explosives for reasons that make little sense to normal, well-adjusted people.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Axeman Jim posted:

Yeah, this is too much of a dumb derail, apologies for my contribution.

To try to get back on-topic, can anyone find/summarise the whole making GBS threads in a Gamecube/lost fingat thread? I think it involved some kind of charity drive that somehow ended up with people blowing up games consoles with improvised explosives for reasons that make little sense to normal, well-adjusted people.

Here's the goldmine link to a writeup about it

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

Its somehow dumber than I remembered because it was just a dude convinced he could only get 20 bucks for his gamecube so he was sourcing SA for other ways to dispose of it.

Also the guy who lost the finger did it by blowing up a wombat with thermite because goons always escalate to idiotic degrees.

Zore has a new favorite as of 18:04 on Jun 8, 2018

VictorianQueerLit
Aug 25, 2017

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah mods were...ornery back then. In general making jokes in a subforum topic was risky and you might get banned if you asked about chickens in the wrong way. I can't say I cared for this and I felt much more comfortable expressing that after the changeover. (I was banned from QCS for awhile...suck it haters.) That said, it's easy to assert the cause without evidence, and the numbers do change sharply around GBS 2.0 - it's hard to call it a coincidence.

Also everyone is way unfair to Ozma who was the architect of GBS 2.0 in the first place, for better or worse. It was her frustration over this place not "feeling like SA" anymore that sparked it.

I'm not trying to call it coincidence or anything or specifically blame those mods for every problem but.....

Okay.

So Imagine one day the Footloose town finally allows dancing. A bunch of tourists immediately complain and leave because people are going overboard and doing some really loving bad dancing in the middle of the street. Just dozens of people not knowing what to do with the authoritarian rules they've lived with for so long instantly disappearing. You have some Elaines out there just kicking away and a bunch of people are pissed off at how weird and bad everyone is acting because it's making the town look bad.

Is the drop off in tourism and people moving there 100% due to people being really weird and bad all of a sudden or does the town having spent years developing the reputation as "That weird town where they completely ban dancing" also have something to do with it?

Some posters here had zero problems and even enjoyed how things used to run, so now that things are different that is the only explanation to them for why things are worse now.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Eox posted:

Hey friends, I feel this discussion would be better had in the Mod Feedback thread in QCS. If you want to talk about specific unrepentant shitlers as an example then that's fine here, but whichever side of this slapfight you fall on you're gonna get better results in the actual thread for forums meta discussion.

I agree with this. Let's get back on-topic, please, we've gone pretty far astray.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Have some Mermaid Shelly :)

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Here's the goldmine link to a writeup about it

https://www.somethingawful.com/comedy-goldmine/gamecube-challenge-fingat/1/

Its somehow dumber than I remembered because it was just a dude convinced he could only get 20 bucks for his gamecube so he was sourcing SA for other ways to dispose of it.

Also the guy who lost the finger did it by blowing up a wombat with thermite because goons always escalate to idiotic degrees.

Thanks!

You know when I read your post I wondered whether "wombat" was some kind of wacky phoneposting autocorrect error, but no, some deranged goon really did detonate a dead wombat with thermite and propane because once someone has shat on a PSP that is the next logical step, if you are completely insane (and/or Australian).

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

The history of all hitherto existing forum sagas is the history of class struggles.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Eox posted:

I'm going to kill you. You son of a bitch.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

FactsAreUseless posted:

that would be a good thread title.

I'm going to kill you. You son of a bitch: Much ado about GBS

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Some insane saga seems to be unfolding over in this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826
On page 405(!), an admin went completely mental and is now threatening to kill a goon!

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i hate you so much for making me dumb enough to click the link

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Paladinus posted:

Some insane saga seems to be unfolding over in this thread
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3784826
On page 405(!), an admin went completely mental and is now threatening to kill a goon!

hosed up if true.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

Um, mods?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

sneakyfrog posted:

i hate you so much for making me dumb enough to click the link

I did too.... right before I read ‘Page 405’ and groaned.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Ariong posted:

Maybe I’m mis reading you here, but it sure does seem like you put a lot of effort into saying “I disagree” in the most patronizing and dismissive way possible.

Hello my friend I hope you're enjoying your first Ever day here on the something awful forums

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Hello my friend I hope you're enjoying your first Ever day here on the something awful forums

More like old...

Uh...old...

...just old. Just plain old.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:perfect:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

ToxicSlurpee posted:

More like old...

Uh...old...

...just old. Just plain old.

That'll do, pig.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

whoa, two hundred unread posts and a koos quote in the title. time to take a big sip of coffee and check out the latest forums drama

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wintermutant posted:

Was Caro also the guy who really wanted to setup a boxing match against a gooncop or was that another resident crazy? I want to say he kept coming up with more and more stipulations thinking other cops were going to assassinate him at the match or something?

That was definitely Caro, although I can’t remember if he’s the one who initiated the challenge or the cop was. Either way he seemed totally down with it but still being 100% paranoid and insane

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
He was interested, but right around the time he accepted people figured out that he was actually mentally ill and not just a funny cop-hater who was sure that every cop was trying to plant weed on him at all times.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:shrug: i mean the cop thing is a safe assumption most of the time

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Why cant I read all these sagas

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I agree with this. Let's get back on-topic, please, we've gone pretty far astray.

ah I never would have read all those posts if I'd know you'd already rerailed it by the time I got here.

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

:shrug: i mean the cop thing is a safe assumption most of the time

Generally yeah but his paranoia extended to him thinking cops and fbi were following him and watching his house and poo poo which... they probably weren’t at the time but might be now

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

:nsa:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

I was going to say "they're on to us" then remembered we're a cia front already anyway. Can they truly be on to us if we're them in the first place?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
ixnay noay hetay ecretsay lassifiedcay aterialmay gentaay

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Sid Vicious posted:

Why cant I read all these sagas

Stay in school kids. drat shame.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Aesop Poprock posted:

That was definitely Caro, although I can’t remember if he’s the one who initiated the challenge or the cop was. Either way he seemed totally down with it but still being 100% paranoid and insane

grover mod challenged him to challenge a goon cop called whip or something to a boxing match, which he did but the cop refused

one of the best posts in the "CARO'S ALIVE" thread was something like "caro does 9000 push ups in syrian hell prison and returns to the US to murder whip""

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Hahaha