Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Flyinglemur posted:

Saw this on FB so I just took a screenshot. I accidently read the comments and that was a shitshow.

Personally, I think she has the perfect attitude to be an STS.

I thought they stopped giving out the McDonald's ribbon since Afghanistan is done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/thom_weights/status/1637979315945066496?t=RVyuoFUUI4VApvi3KZlefQ&s=19

Lol

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
Hm… should I take up my entire back with a sick full color battle of Trafalgar? Nah. BLOCK TEXT!

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

And in the book it was an American Frigate not a French one they are hunting.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dudes rock

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm… should I take up my entire back with a sick full color battle of Trafalgar? Nah. BLOCK TEXT!

Yeah wtf

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
I’m super tired of the Navy (even the reserves) but I’m still contemplating a kickass ship tattoo when I retire because ship tattoos fuckin’ rule.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Stultus Maximus posted:

I’m super tired of the Navy (even the reserves) but I’m still contemplating a kickass ship tattoo when I retire because ship tattoos fuckin’ rule.

I honestly think about doing an EPF in old times style crashing through a 3ft wave with something silly like “any port in a wave, USNS Trenton 2020-2021 med tour”.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(sidetrack) Which particular Queen Elizabeth was she named for?

McNally posted:

Probably Elizabeth I. They tend not to name ships for living people.

Yeah, I actually asked them about that. On US carriers they really go hard with the namesake references, so like the USS Ronald Reagan has a ton of Reagan-themed stuff everywhere; the wardrooms have Reagan photos and memorabilia, there's a giant bronze Reagan statue on the quarterdeck, etc. So I asked if there was a room on Queen Elizabeth with a bunch of Queen photos and memorabilia, and they dryly informed me that there have been other queens named Elizabeth in British history. But even then they didn't have much in the way of QE1 branding anywhere that I could see either.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Wingnut Ninja posted:

But even then they didn't have much in the way of QE1 branding anywhere that I could see either.

Shame.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Elviscat posted:

Don't be a loving loser, get a cool job, go to college with your GI bill, burn your loving uniforms.

I'm not going to say you're wrong. I've got job interviews this week, I got into all my top master's programs. Maybe I just needed to prove to myself I could make it outside.

Also, as a noble, my quality of life is definitely better than 90-95% of sailors out there. So this isn't as bad of an idea as reenlisting.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Flyinglemur posted:

Saw this on FB so I just took a screenshot. I accidently read the comments and that was a shitshow.

They just gave every creepy motherfucker everything they need to creep on her with that.

orange juche posted:

I thought they stopped giving out the McDonald's ribbon since Afghanistan is done

They didn't stop giving it out after desert storm till around 1997. And she has been in boot/school for nearly a year.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Red Crown posted:

I'm not going to say you're wrong. I've got job interviews this week, I got into all my top master's programs. Maybe I just needed to prove to myself I could make it outside.

Also, as a noble, my quality of life is definitely better than 90-95% of sailors out there. So this isn't as bad of an idea as reenlisting.

Mods!?!

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Flyinglemur posted:

"First junior enlisted STS woman on a fast attack" has some serious "batting .455 in Tuesday day games against NL Central lefties after the 6th inning" energy

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Cerekk posted:

"First junior enlisted STS woman on a fast attack" has some serious "batting .455 in Tuesday day games against NL Central lefties after the 6th inning" energy

There's this video out there on YouTube of daily ops on the Wyoming or something where there was a GIRL OFFICER on board and the cameraman was so close in to her that you could feel the enmity and frustration radiating through the screen. It had peak awkward "pressing your phone against the glass at the zoo" energy. The comments were about what you'd expect.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

Debatably better than Arkansas I guess?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Red Crown posted:

Seems like you're already set up! Awesome!

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's this video out there on YouTube of daily ops on the Wyoming or something where there was a GIRL OFFICER on board and the cameraman was so close in to her that you could feel the enmity and frustration radiating through the screen. It had peak awkward "pressing your phone against the glass at the zoo" energy. The comments were about what you'd expect.

Better than some other videos of female officers on the Wyoming.

Cerekk posted:

I'd still say it's a big deal, enlisted fast attack sailors are one of the last bastions of gender based segregation in the fleet.

Laranzu posted:

Debatably better than Arkansas I guess?

I'd take Arkansas over assignment to an SSN, but just barely.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Elviscat posted:

Seems like you're already set up! Awesome!

Better than some other videos of female officers on the Wyoming.

I'd still say it's a big deal, enlisted fast attack sailors are one of the last bastions of gender based segregation in the fleet.

Its their fault for existing what you think men have self control or something sorry integration is impossible

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its because there is no room unless you wanna go starship trooper egalitarian group showering.

I want integration to happen but its going to continue to be slow and painful for a huge variety of "people are awful" reasons.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

Women have been on submarines for over a decade and have served in every position through XO and COB. We'll have a woman CO in ~4 years. People still treating it like it's a big deal does more harm to fleet integration than all the old misogynist curmudgeons put together.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Its because there is no room unless you wanna go starship trooper egalitarian group showering.

I want integration to happen but its going to continue to be slow and painful for a huge variety of "people are awful" reasons.

18 man or skinny man on VAs have their own heads and would be easy to make into an all female berthing, the Officer staterooms are actually a harder proposition because you need the stupid flippy sign.

Cerekk posted:

Women have been on submarines for over a decade and have served in every position through XO and COB. We'll have a woman CO in ~4 years. People still treating it like it's a big deal does more harm to fleet integration than all the old misogynist curmudgeons put together.

I'm well aware of that, the first female officers ever on a submarine were in the first NPTU class I taught, and I was on the first SSN with female officers.

I get your point that drawing attention to it is bad and agree that the path forward is to treat it like it's perfectly normal and what we've been doing all along though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Do recall that it is Women's History Month so that is why you have more focus on social media

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Yeah VA's were setup with integrated crews, makes it much easier. 688's your only good option is to turn the 21 man lower level bunkroom into female berthing, which means you still have to walk across a busy passageway to get to the only bathroom and shower.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Elviscat posted:

18 man or skinny man on VAs have their own heads and would be easy to make into an all female berthing, the Officer staterooms are actually a harder proposition because you need the stupid flippy sign.

I'm well aware of that, the first female officers ever on a submarine were in the first NPTU class I taught, and I was on the first SSN with female officers.

I get your point that drawing attention to it is bad and agree that the path forward is to treat it like it's perfectly normal and what we've been doing all along though.

Sorry if I came off as a dick. I'm in the same year group as that first batch so I've spent the last 12 years working with women who are nearly all competent professionals that wish the PR people would leave them alone and let them do their jobs. And STSSA "I dunno I thought subs sounded cool" probably has enough to worry about trying to qualify without her division's first impression of her being a puff piece that she likely had no say in whether to participate in.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

I don’t know exactly how to articulate it but yes. The whole expression and body language say ST to me. The sorting hat has spoken.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I wonder how long till she gets yelled at about hollywood showers.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Yeah VA's were setup with integrated crews, makes it much easier. 688's your only good option is to turn the 21 man lower level bunkroom into female berthing, which means you still have to walk across a busy passageway to get to the only bathroom and shower.

That's not an insurmountable problem by any means, we the Norwegians put us up in their barracks, which are commingled, and there were women and men walking around everywhere in their skivvies headed to the showers.

I'd hazard to say all the problems with integration trace back to the US's bizarre puritanical attitudes about gender relations, and the Navy's bizarre, stilted policies that are the clear result of a bunch of old white men trying to implement congressional mandates on something they don't comprehend or care about.

The 22 was slated to get female O's* so it was a hot topic when I got there, despite me saying "it's not a big deal, it happened on my old boat, some of them suck, some are OK, just like the male JOs" I got tons of pushback and "what if" type questions.

*later canceled due to it being "too expensive to modify the 21 class" which is insane, the "modifications" they did on Virginia was putting some blue plastic in the bullseyes for the heads and berthing, and some extra nauga so you couldn't look in the engine room pisser, which is N/A to the 21 class.

Proust Malone posted:

I don’t know exactly how to articulate it but yes. The whole expression and body language say ST to me. The sorting hat has spoken.

It reminds me of the STS on my first boat who had his wedding ceremony in the torpedo room, and later said "I married my second love onboard my first love".

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
every sts gets high on their own farts. but they also pull off some black magic poo poo*

edit : *if they are any good that is

ded fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 22, 2023

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

STS spend all watch listening to whales farting so it tracks

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Red Crown posted:

Ban this troll plz

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ban this troll plz

Sure are a lot of officers saying how awesome 20 years is. Hrm.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Maybe because nobles are treated a lot better? :haw:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Wibla posted:

I’m gonna make you a really subpar martini using well gin the navy officer party I bartend.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I’m gonna make you a really subpar martini using well gin the navy officer party I bartend.

At least you're using gin.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

A.o.D. posted:

At least you're using gin.

I didn’t earn these FLOCs for not knowing my business.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

US Navy enlisted sailors: putting the "Petty" in "Petty Officer" since 1853.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crab Dad posted:

Sure are a lot of officers saying how awesome 20 years is. Hrm.

Wibla posted:

:monocle:

Speaking of nobility, one of my former sailors should be graduating OCS next week, maybe I should send him a buffalo wild wings crown and power ranger sword.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk

Red Crown posted:

Consider this video:

https://twitter.com/KingNeptune767/status/1638875108746973184

Now consider the fact that you are telling us that you are thinking about just staying on the boat instead of having to deal with living with loved ones.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Oof the worst part about leaving home and the best part of getting home. I hate leaving my dogs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.

Grip it and rip it posted:

Ban this troll plz

I probably shoulda led with that, yeah.

SerthVarnee posted:

Consider this video:

https://twitter.com/KingNeptune767/status/1638875108746973184

Now consider the fact that you are telling us that you are thinking about just staying on the boat instead of having to deal with living with loved ones.

Who needs familial bonds when you have the unbreakable bond of Man and the Sea? :v:

Well, it's done: my friends pleaded with me. My co-workers looked at me askance, glaring with dead eyes. The thread warned me. I pulled my resignation back, the die is cast.