Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

Just got a PS4 (last console I owned was a PS2). I bought Persona 5 and I'm thinking about getting another game for the next months.

Should I get Bloodborne, Yakuza, Horizon Zero Dawn or Nioh ? (Any other console exclusive coming out in the next weeks to watch for?)

I was leaning more towards Bloodborne since I'm a Souls fan, but I already played a few hours on my friends console, so... maybe I should get something different :ohdear:

All of those games are really good. Yakuza and HZD are two of my favorite games this gen.

As far as other exclusives you can also grab Infamous Second Son and the First Light DLC. I think ISS is about 8 hrs total. The FL DLC adds about another 3 or 4. They are both really well made and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Never owning a PS3 also makes Last of Us a pretty essential "exclusive"

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

ZZZorcerer posted:

Just got a PS4 (last console I owned was a PS2). I bought Persona 5 and I'm thinking about getting another game for the next months.

Should I get Bloodborne, Yakuza, Horizon Zero Dawn or Nioh ? (Any other console exclusive coming out in the next weeks to watch for?)

I was leaning more towards Bloodborne since I'm a Souls fan, but I already played a few hours on my friends console, so... maybe I should get something different :ohdear:

Holy poo poo, a Souls fan with their first chance to bloodborne? Buy that, now.

That said, Bloodborne DOES go on sale during big sales occasionally, and if Bloodborne 2 rumors are true, it will go on sale, cause that's how psn does things. Nioh is very very good, if you want refined combat and not the lore discovery side of the souls formula.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 16:02 on May 16, 2017

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Seconding The Last of Us. That was the best game last gen and a Sony exclusive.

The DLC prequel that you should play AFTER TLoU, Left Behind, is also very good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The TLOU PS4 remaster includes Left Behind for free IIRC.

Absolutely play Bloodborne, if you're already a souls fan it's worth whatever its price is right now.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've seen Bloodborne hit as low as $20 for the complete collection and, if Sony's anything to set your watch to, they'll probably put it on deep discount again around E3 for some kind of E3 sale.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

The TLOU PS4 remaster includes Left Behind for free IIRC.

Absolutely play Bloodborne, if you're already a souls fan it's worth whatever its price is right now.

It does

And you probably should. But If you buy a new game that's not going to drop soon, then by the time e3 comes (there WILL be an E3 sale) then you can pick up the older games maybe before you finish the first one, if its long.

bubbapook
Jan 14, 2008

ZZZorcerer posted:

All of those are great games, so you won't go too far amiss. But would prioritise as: Bloodborne, Horizon Zero Dawn, Last of Us, Yakuza, Nioh

You should really, really play Last of Us (on PS4) if you skipped PS3.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

You should buy whatever game you most want to play right now and then maybe see if there's a sale that corresponds with E3 for the next. I think the PSN store did that last year around this time.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Fuzz posted:

I find it amazing how young most goon gamers are when they ask what style of game Telltale games are... There was a period of literally 2 decades where adventure games were the bread and butter of gaming, mainly due to technological limitations" telling a good story

The modern Telltale games bear virtually no resemblance to the kind of games you're talking about

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I find it amazing how young most goon gamers are when they ask what style of game Telltale games are... There was a period of literally 2 decades where adventure games were the bread and butter of gaming, mainly due to technological limitations" telling a good story.

Y'all are too young.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, because Telltale was founded in 2005, and adventure games like King's Quest, Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle had much more in the way of gameplay/puzzles than a standard Telltale game, which basically has "Pick Dialogue Option A or Dialogue Option B". I wouldn't even really call Telltale's games adventure games, because, at least for the ones I've played, there's no adventure--you hardly explore anything. granted the one I played most recently was Walking Dead Season 2, but people calling it a glorified CYOA novel aren't really that far off.

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Telltale games are very clearly an evolution of old school point and clickers although without any of the humour, abstract puzzle solving or likeable characters.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Regy Rusty posted:

The modern Telltale games bear virtually no resemblance to the kind of games you're talking about

Agreed, play their Back to the Future and then anything after Walking Dead. They tried a new extremely streamlined formula and struck gold, haven't looked back since.

Theres little to no, rub everything against everything, wander around til you trip flags or pnc logic. Which all sounds like upgrades, but they lost something along the way. It went from you unfolding a story, to a story being told to you QUICK PICK WHO DIES.

I think Back to the future is really fun myself, and it is a lot more classic adventure game style. Pick it up if your nostalgic. Even it is streamlined but it still feels like a modern classic point and click.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Well, they are now, and have been since TWD.

But their Sam & Max games were very much in the mold of old-school point-and-click adventures.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Schpyder posted:

Well, they are now, and have been since TWD.

But their Sam & Max games were very much in the mold of old-school point-and-click adventures.

Yeah, TWD being such a critically and user acclaimed hit really swung them in the 3d Visual Novel direction. To which it seems they are just slapping a story on and IP that comes their way. Arent they doing a Guardians of the Galaxy? Still amazed that's a commercial francize in 2017.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

I have a soft spot for the old adventure games. Dumb adventure game logic aside, the real strength of them was using everything on everything and getting funny lines of dialogue.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To the shock of no one we're getting Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2

(probably The Division 2)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Wasn't there a rumor the next Far Cry would be a Western ala Red Dead Redemption

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Harlock posted:

To the shock of no one we're getting Far Cry 5 and The Crew 2

(probably The Division 2)

I'll be crossing my fingers for The Crew 2 (and am actually kind of surprised it's happening, the DLC they've trickled out for the first one has been dropped with next to no fanfare). The first one was one of my biggest gaming disappointments of all time. I foolishly wanted it to be fun and it wasn't.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
The problem with The Crew is that either Burnout Paradise or NFS 2015 were basically the game it wanted to be but better.

Actually I want a new Burnout now.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

I want a new burnout so bad

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

For all those getting a PS4 now just think that my console record is like this: SNES (1992), Xbox360 (2007) then PS4 (2016). A big PC gaming fan and so far I think the PS4 is having a golden age in 2017, much more than any other platform.

Came for Bloodborne, staying for Yakuza.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
This is a response to a post from several pages ago, but the thing I like most about Armored Core 4/A is the fast robots. Most slow robot games are lame.

E: I also haven't played much of the earlier AC games, but I did enjoy what I played.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I got No Man's Sky on a whim because it was on sale and I heard that it was kind of actually fun now.

It is not. There are a ton of stupid loving design decisions that any smart developer would have patched out by now, like the incredibly slow walking speed and the poo poo inventory.

I've explored three planets in my first system and I'm currently trying to collect enough Hebridium to build a hyperdrive, and despite the scan telling me the planet I'm currently on has some, I've scoured the planet for hours without finding a single source.

This game is poo poo garbage and everything proceeds in the most unfun way possible. And the worst thing is that there is a nugget of brilliance here, completely overshadowed by incredibly stupid decisions to make the game as tedious as possible.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

exploded mummy posted:

The problem with The Crew is that either Burnout Paradise or NFS 2015 were basically the game it wanted to be but better.

Actually I want a new Burnout now.

It had many other problems, but yeah... agreed.

For me the biggest problem was that, turns out 99% of the US is boring as gently caress to drive around. I was intrigued by the scale of it, but ultimately a smaller, more tailored open world like BP and NFS work much better. Other problems, the most bizzarely complex upgrade system and a world full of indestructable barriers whose sole purpose seemed to be stopping you having fun anywhere other than where they wanted you to have fun. Probably loads more as well. I get annoyed thinking about how much less than the sum of it's parts that game ended up being. There was some fun to be had, but those two games and Forza Horizon all did it so much better.

VVV The also have a decent track record of second games in a new IP/series being head and shoulders above the first. Have some hope for the Division 2 based on this as well.

Gravy Jones fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 16, 2017

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
Tbh in a weird way there isn't much stopping The Crew 2 from being good, other than Ubisoft loving it up at the last minute or seemingly underpromoting a good game.

They have gotten good at open world seamless MP poo poo, Reflections is a good driving game studio, this shouldn't be too hard

But Ubisoft is gonna Ubisoft and then get bought by Vivendi.

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

I find it amazing how young most goon gamers are when they ask what style of game Telltale games are... There was a period of literally 2 decades where adventure games were the bread and butter of gaming, mainly due to technological limitations" telling a good story.

Y'all are too young.

90% of those were on the computer, and when i was a kid i spent more of my time on ms comic chat than playing games on it. the rest of my time as a kid were awful N64 games like Superman 64

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013

DrNutt posted:

I got No Man's Sky on a whim because it was on sale and I heard that it was kind of actually fun now.

It is not. There are a ton of stupid loving design decisions that any smart developer would have patched out by now, like the incredibly slow walking speed and the poo poo inventory.

I've explored three planets in my first system and I'm currently trying to collect enough Hebridium to build a hyperdrive, and despite the scan telling me the planet I'm currently on has some, I've scoured the planet for hours without finding a single source.

This game is poo poo garbage and everything proceeds in the most unfun way possible. And the worst thing is that there is a nugget of brilliance here, completely overshadowed by incredibly stupid decisions to make the game as tedious as possible.
Boost jumping makes moving on foot a whole lot faster and is actually quite fun once you get the hang of it. Here's a guide on how to do it:

https://www.polygon.com/no-mans-sky/2016/8/11/12440772/boost-jump-guide-how-to

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Far Cry needs more than just a fresh coat of paint at the moment. It's been outclassed many times now and needs a real formula shake up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

It's been outclassed many times now and needs a real formula shake up.

Ubisoft.txt

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Edit: phone double posted.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I don't think you understand that going from a poo poo inventory to an ever so slightly less poo poo inventory is the core "gameplay" loop. Game is poo poo.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

To be fair, at least they finally figured that out with Assassin's Creed and dropped the annual iterations.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

veni veni veni posted:

Far Cry needs more than just a fresh coat of paint at the moment. It's been outclassed many times now and needs a real formula shake up.

Far Cry 5's exotic venue of choice will be *draws name from tumbler*

Montana

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Far Cry Primal should have had dinosaurs. And before you say cavemans weren't around then. Well, they also didn't ride saber tooth tigers and summon cavebears to eat badgers.

Blooddragon 2 please.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

exploded mummy posted:

Far Cry 5's exotic venue of choice will be *draws name from tumbler*

Montana

The Far Cry shakeup we have all been waiting for: playing as a dark skinned woman killing white men.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Guillermus posted:

For all those getting a PS4 now just think that my console record is like this: SNES (1992), Xbox360 (2007) then PS4 (2016). A big PC gaming fan and so far I think the PS4 is having a golden age in 2017, much more than any other platform.

Came for Bloodborne, staying for Yakuza.

One cannot be IN a golden age, that's what makes it golden hth

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

Far Cry Primal should have had dinosaurs. And before you say cavemans weren't around then. Well, they also didn't ride saber tooth tigers and summon cavebears to eat badgers.

Blooddragon 2 please.

They also mind controlled owls to drop bees on enemies.

Also we already had Trials of the Blood Dragon

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

El Jebus posted:

The Far Cry shakeup we have all been waiting for: playing as a dark skinned woman killing white men.

Far Cry 3: Liberation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

exploded mummy posted:

They also mind controlled owls to drop bees on enemies.

Also we already had Trials of the Blood Dragon

That doesn't count and you know it.