Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Snail Information posted:

And people wonder why the goonfleet forums are a ghosttown.

Are you really whining that the powers that be didn't let the goonfleet and SA forums continue to be a a haven for racists and bigots?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

can you please go back to sh/sc and stay there

disclaimer: i think doing racisms is bad and I am glad there are fewer racisms being done in the online spaces i frequent

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

can you please go back to sh/sc and stay there

disclaimer: i think doing racisms is bad and I am glad there are fewer racisms being done in the online spaces i frequent

:fuckoff:

Nah, don't think I will.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

And people wonder why the goonfleet forums are a ghosttown.

Not really.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Rust Martialis posted:

paging Deadtear to this post

Wow, is he and DJ still around?

DGC773
Sep 10, 2010

beep-boop, I'm a Nummy Bacon Bot. I scrape your posts for bacon points!

To get your current bacon points message me with !bacon_points

To opt out of collecting nummy bacon points, just put me on ignore!

lite_sleepr posted:

Where is Remedial these days whilst we are at it?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

lite_sleepr posted:

DJ left and came back maybe 2 years ago, acted self important, left to found a true goon space guild which floundered within a month once he stopped logging in as per usual.

That's what I recall of it. Oh and he made a reddit post, obviously.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
He joined NC. too iirc and the corp had two or three lovely systems in Pure Blind. He came back after our Deklein exodus and when that book deal (lol) was going down.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The only way I can describe it is ‘a lot of hurf blurf’.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

NGC773 posted:

Oh wow! I 'member that name.

A lawyer right? Got into some trouble if I remember.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

NGC773 posted:

Long gone. After the whole mortgage modification thing came crashing down, he joined the Army as an infantryman. He was at 10th Mountain while I was there, though I never ran into him.

Did a search in global a year or two ago but couldn't find him anymore, so he's either out or he's changed his name.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Loden Taylor posted:

Long gone. After the whole mortgage modification thing came crashing down, he joined the Army as an infantryman. He was at 10th Mountain while I was there, though I never ran into him.

Did a search in global a year or two ago but couldn't find him anymore, so he's either out or he's changed his name.

A lawyer going into the army as an enlisted infantry has to be a meteor like fall. Almost fitting considering.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

The cultural revolution wasn't this thing to stomp out racism or whatever you idiots coopted it into, it was literally just to get rid of bad, unfunny posting habits.

Racism/sexism/other isms were alive and well on goonfleet.com well after the cultural revolution so y'all are high as gently caress if you think that's what it was about.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jul 19, 2020

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
hmmmm

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
But it evolved into that and is still a net positive no matter how you see it.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

dialhforhero posted:

But it evolved into that and is still a net positive no matter how you see it.

no it didn't

join theta comms

or any of the private clubs

e: it owns that people have rewritten the history to be something other than what orange juche said. In the TWR thread making the announcement I even said how cool it would be to stop doing racisms and was rebuked by no less than SOLODRAKBANSOLODRAKBANSO[LODRA] himself for being such a snowflake. things have gotten better because it has become less acceptable to act that way anywhere, and to act as though the coalition named after a famously xenophobic group had any significant part in it (and by extension, the posters here pushing that narrative as great crusaders, or, if you will, Space Marine Justice Warriors) is very funny to me

anyway, racism bad, "space aids" bad, anita sarkeesian is fine

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 19, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Is this the part where a bunch of folks who weren't in 12 years ago are talking about how literally nothing has changed and it's exactly like it was 12 years ago?

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

no it didn't

join theta comms

or any of the private clubs

If we really luck out maybe theta squad will request falcon srp enough to get on that real poo poo

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Micromancer posted:

If we really luck out maybe theta squad will request falcon srp enough to get on that real poo poo

I think it was more about people posting Join Hole Squad in all the in game chat channels.

(Hole Squad was dope, RIP Hole Squad)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfjuOYSX01M

orange juche fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jul 19, 2020

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Sigma Supremacy.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
But I definitely remember a War Room post or series of posts talking about cleaning up comms, etc. and I also remember people who posted lovely ALSO tended to post with poo poo language and got banned/probed, so maybe it’s all a correlation but I definitely would say the spirit of the law carried through whether or not that was the intent.

Also TEST then became a much bigger thing and all the toxic fucks fled there or started Horde or got into some other rival.

Like one big perfect storm.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 19, 2020

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Micromancer posted:

have i been owned

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Sickening posted:

A lawyer going into the army as an enlisted infantry has to be a meteor like fall. Almost fitting considering.

Yeah, after all that poo poo, there was no way the JAG Corps was even going to give him the time of day.

SopWATh
Jun 1, 2000
Remedial was a loving trash FC. He got us loving murdered so hard on the few ops he was leading I still don't know how he gained any sort of following.

Also, I never saw much overt racism and sexism stuff in Sigma, even with the clearly obvious chance at being "SS" with the whole wolf pack stealth bomber thing.

EDIT: Regarding comms, maybe I wasn't paying enough attention, but the most I ever heard was the FC telling people to shut the gently caress up or stop keying up over and over again.

Micromancer
Apr 17, 2002

He went out to the store
and when he got back
Roll-marks said .22 Short, jack.
If anything I could say that
this gun was rare
Its covered it sweat,
toilet water, and hair

have i been owned

God no you are cool. Theta is 100% of the reason I ended up in Karmafleet though.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

orange juche posted:

The cultural revolution wasn't this thing to stomp out racism or whatever you idiots coopted it into, it was literally just to get rid of bad, unfunny posting habits.

Racism/sexism/other isms were alive and well on goonfleet.com well after the cultural revolution so y'all are high as gently caress if you think that's what it was about.

The cultural revolution was about bad posting and purging racist unfunny poo poo. You're all going to make me try to dig up the original posts, but that was also the time it became unacceptable to throw around f-slurs and coincided with the creation of groups like Queerswarm. It was very basic poo poo. "SA had moved on, but goons in eve were carrying on like it was 2006" - that was the argument at the time. TEST had gotten big, and was all over the forums, and was toxic as gently caress. So the getting rid of bad posters was the same as getting rid of the bigoted jokes and other garbage poo poo. I'd even say that the change in attitudes was part of why TEST went fuckgoons.
Those people never went away though. All the "cultural revolution" did was make it clear that those in leadership didn't think it was okay to be a racist. It got better, and then it got worse like everywhere got worse. 2012 was a long time ago considering everything that's happened in internet and videogame culture since. It was the far side of gamergate for fucks sake.

It's why space aids gets to me because you might think that it's innocent and not a sign of how goon culture is, but it's hard to find that convincing when FC's can shout f-slurs, and if you read the post on goon culture, it says right there, that if you find that thing offensive then you're a snowflake, and don't belong in goons.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Well, when l quit playing EVE several years ago, there were plenty of racial/sexist slurs still going around in the squads. Theta was the worst of all of course but there were several where it was perfectly acceptable to be a shitbird still. It moved out of the forums and moved into Jabber/Mumble

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007
Theta *under Ted* was a different thing entirely. Once Ted burned out, a critical lack of Spacedad led to backsliding, hard. But there were a few years where Theta had more titans than most alliances, and JU- Standing was a thing of beauty in action.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I was in Rho squad because it was best squad.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
False: Sigma has always been the best.

Sigma Supremacy.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
its true, sigma accepts all

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Rust Martialis posted:

Theta *under Ted* was a different thing entirely. Once Ted burned out, a critical lack of Spacedad led to backsliding, hard. But there were a few years where Theta had more titans than most alliances, and JU- Standing was a thing of beauty in action.

I miss Ted and Mpozoy :(

Thunder Moose
Mar 7, 2015

S.J.C.

Rust Martialis posted:

:hmmyes:

Bring back Ted.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

orange juche posted:

I think there might be a disconnect given that there were at least two cultural revolutions, and people may have only been around for the earlier or later one.

Which isn't to say that the sexism/racism poo poo doesn't still lurk around, but the 2nd cultural revolution definitely targeted that

Tsed fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 19, 2020

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

orange juche posted:

Well, when l quit playing EVE several years ago, there were plenty of racial/sexist slurs still going around in the squads. Theta was the worst of all of course but there were several where it was perfectly acceptable to be a shitbird still. It moved out of the forums and moved into Jabber/Mumble

Back when I played Theta was generally okay except for the massive unresolved problem of their being minors in the alliance and on mumble which caused... issues.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Tsed posted:

I think there might be a disconnect given that there were at least two cultural revolutions, and people may have only been around for the earlier or later one.

Which isn't to say that the sexism/racism poo poo doesn't still lurk around, but the 2nd cultural revolution definitely targeted that

Were they both in 2012? My memory is all screwed up, but I don't remember two.

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Were they both in 2012? My memory is all screwed up, but I don't remember two.

One was as late as 2016/2017.

edit: looks like I'm mixing them up myself. The 2012 one is the one I was thinking of (with the "make me a sandwich" etc propaganda) where forums were cleaned up. The 2016/2017 was cleaning up comms. Not sure if there was an earlier one.

Also this:

https://soundcloud.com/user3885713/richter-enderas-our-sperg-lord

was the crowning achievement of the 2012 Cultural Revolution

Tsed fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 19, 2020

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

To be fair, most social groups ought to have a good clearing out of shitbirds and other rabble from time to time.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003

Alchenar posted:

Back when I played Theta was generally okay except for the massive unresolved problem of their being minors in the alliance and on mumble which caused... issues.

Yall are using mumble in 2020?

lite_sleepr fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Jul 20, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

lite_sleepr posted:

Yall are using mumble in 2020?

Still reliable for multiple hundreds of people in the same call, so I don't see why we wouldn't be.