Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Franki

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 10/15/03

Brenda Starr 11/19-21/51

Smokey Stover 6/2/57

Everyday Movies 11/13/36

"A reference she wanted for her new landlord. I gave her the best reference in the world -- was I glad to get rid of her."

Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/18-20/42

Selachian fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange
Is there more to this joke than "what if dogs ran a pharmacy"? I feel like I'm missing something. :confused:

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Is there more to this joke than "what if dogs ran a pharmacy"? I feel like I'm missing something. :confused:

The things on the counter are stuff people hide pills in to get dogs to take them.

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

Curtis

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Selachian posted:

[b]Invisible Scarlet O'Neil 5/18-20/42[/b

Google indicates that's about $1800 in today's money.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Hedgehog and porcupine quills both shed/detach. And hedgehogs don't need to eat only bugs (at least the African pygmy ones don't). But it's Holbrook, expecting him to know that yes, deer can and do eat baby birds they find in nests, and hedgehogs can and do eat vegetables and fruit, is expecting a lot.

No grapes though.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hedgehogs and porcupines also don't look a drat thing like each other beyond "have quills", and those quills look very different. Porcupines are also much, much bigger.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Zereth posted:

Hedgehogs and porcupines also don't look a drat thing like each other beyond "have quills", and those quills look very different. Porcupines are also much, much bigger.

Inasmuch as Lindesfarne is drawn looking like a real animal, it's a porcupine, which makes the 'twist' about her particularly dumb. She has porcupine quills! Her quills are frequently emphasized and the focus of jokes or plot points, and they sure aren't quills a hedgehog could grow. Has Holbrook ever seen a hedgehog?

Edit: She has a porcupine tail too! Hedgehogs do not have long bundles of quills sticking out over their tails like that! They don't have long quills anywhere, but especially not the characteristic tail array. She is literally drawn as a porcupine. I should not care about this but...

mycatscrimes fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Oct 16, 2023

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Mutts

Sally Forth

Skippy (October 17, 1935)

Peanuts (October 18, 1976)

Crankshaft

Mutt and Jeff, with more evidence for the "rewritten by Google Translate" theory.

"Do you like their fall?" Is this a fashion term that's escaped me all these years? "Drape" I've heard of.

Rip Haywire

Li'l Abner meets his first high-society scrounger. (November 5-7, 1934)

Thimble Theater (May 20, 1940)

Out Our Way (January 25-27, 1943)

Today's OOW is brought to you by...MEAT. A reminder from the American Meat Institute that animal protein still exists in wartime.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Oct 16, 2023

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

So, due to a clerical error on my end, I regret to inform everyone I accidentally skipped over some strips of Bad Machinery.

Since I've overtaken Gocomics right now, I'm just going to backfill those strips now.

Previously on the 2023 Comic Stips 2023 thread...

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

mycatscrimes posted:

Inasmuch as Lindesfarne is drawn looking like a real animal, it's a porcupine, which makes the 'twist' about her particularly dumb. She has porcupine quills! Her quills are frequently emphasized and the focus of jokes or plot points, and they sure aren't quills a hedgehog could grow. Has Holbrook ever seen a hedgehog?

Edit: She has a porcupine tail too! Hedgehogs do not have long bundles of quills sticking out over their tails like that! They don't have long quills anywhere, but especially not the characteristic tail array. She is literally drawn as a porcupine. I should not care about this but...

Pretty sure the only hedgehog Holbrook's ever seen is Sonic.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Apparently the "Woo Grotto" was a feature of Hugh Hefner's Playboy Mansion, a secluded area of the swimming pool behind the waterfall.

You know what, I'm officially adding that to the feature list for my own in-case-of-lottery-win dream house, right after the planetarium dome.

Bizarro

The Family Circus

Slylock Fox

I call shenanigans. If that bigass statue is really solid gold, it would weigh at least a couple thousand pounds. Also I don't think there are any quadrotors approved for human flight, but I suppose Max and Slylock aren't human so objection withdrawn.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Retail

Popcom

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

EasyEW posted:

Out Our Way (January 25-27, 1943)

Alright, I'll bite. What changed in table technology?

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Puberty Time.

Well, They Are Like Bad Medicine

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Schwarzwald posted:

Nothing, it changed in how high people piled the food.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Though those weird fluted leg feet look terribly unstable under load. Maybe they bought a more modern dining table in the 30 years.

E - are they casters? Did they have casters on their dining table?

goatface fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Oct 16, 2023

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Schwarzwald posted:

Table Old and Creaky from Use. If it were a new table, it would not be so dangerously close to collapsing.

OneMoreTime
Feb 20, 2011

*quack*

Actual major consequences never seem to happen in a Holbrook comic and it drives me nuts

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Hagar the Horrible

Zits

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Professor Wayne posted:

[
Hagar the Horrible

THIS loving MONSTER KILLED ROCKSTEADY AND BEEPOP! gently caress HIM UP HAGAR!!!!

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

^^^ curses

Professor Wayne posted:

Hagar the Horrible

Rocksteady and Bebop no!

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "324 - Jucika's In A Hurry"

"egér! = mouse!"

"325 - Jucika Wants To Take A Bath"

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
We Are Reproducing

"Unnamed boyfriend is a passive lump peeking in from the corner of the panel" is a constant literary theme in this comic.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Pogo 8/13-15/51

Archie 6/14-16/48

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Scary Go Round (October 2-7, 2003)

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
God drat it, Archie really is funny.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Gil Thorp

"Hey, remember that time you got teen pregnant and I convinced you not to get an abortion? Well, get a load of this karma!"

Imgur doesn't want to upload Home Free today and I don't blame it, nor can I be bothered to try to force it. Rest assured, it's stupid. I'll post it tomorrow.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

OK, how the gently caress is Hilburn pronouncing "layer" to have it even come close to fitting in place of "prayer"? :crossarms:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

OK, how the gently caress is Hilburn pronouncing "layer" to have it even come close to fitting in place of "prayer"? :crossarms:
Layer and prayer sound the same (other than the initial consonants) in my accent. :shrug:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

oh, so this is what it would be like if Bizarro was sloppily drawn.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Tiggum posted:

with a long y

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

lair, hardly the slantiest a singer has ever done a lyric. Shoutout to Daft Punk who give "world" one and two syllables immediately after each other.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Layer and prayer sound the same (other than the initial consonants) in my accent. :shrug:

Well, how are you pronouncing them? I can't figure it out. To me they're "prɛː" and "leɪə". I assume it has to be "layer" that's different, because (aside from the repeated syllable in the song) Bon Jovi pronounces "prayer" basically the same way I do - ie. to rhyme with "there" and "swear".

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

Well, how are you pronouncing them? I can't figure it out. To me they're "prɛː" and "leɪə". I assume it has to be "layer" that's different, because (aside from the repeated syllable in the song) Bon Jovi pronounces "prayer" basically the same way I do - ie. to rhyme with "there" and "swear".
The way I say layer rhymes with swear, yes. In the US we pronounce the r at the end of it(which seems to be the main difference from the UK/aus pronunciation as far as I can tell from 2 minutes of googling).

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 17, 2023

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Crabgrass

Big Nate

Good job Pierce. You just made hundreds of thousands of kids aware of the fact that they can use AI to cheat on their homework.

Blind Alley

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Haifisch posted:

The way I say layer rhymes with swear, yes. In the US we pronounce the r at the end of it(which seems to be the main difference from the UK/aus pronunciation as far as I can tell from 2 minutes of googling).

Nah, if I put an R sound at the end of "layer" (and "swear" and "prayer") they still don't come close to rhyming. Different number of syllables, different vowel sounds.