Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ChrisBTY posted:

What was the solution there I wonder? I guess the first solution would have been to not trust Hogan to not get into Patrick's ear and just not do a fast count angle. But when you give a man like Hogan CC, what are your options? What's keeping him from saying 'I'm keeping the belt forever and never losing. And also I demand to be put into a gauntlet match where I beat every single wrestler in the company on a single show."?

Hogan's can be shortsighted and selfish but he also knows that if he does that latter scenario, there's nobody left for him to face, his ideal scenario is more like 80's WWE where they build up challengers one at a time to maximize profits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

I'm like 90% that's Buff The Stuff wearing the yellow plastic overalls which is like one top hat away from being the most Buff Bagwell outfit ever

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

RZApublican posted:

I'm like 90% that's Buff The Stuff wearing the yellow plastic overalls which is like one top hat away from being the most Buff Bagwell outfit ever

booyaka booyaka

you

are

wrong

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Negative.
That is Rey.
Yup. This is what they did with Rey Goddamn Misterio Jr. at the time.
Dressed him in an outfit that looks dumb by Buff Bagwell standards.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

booyaka booyaka

you

are

wrong

Oh god how did I miss the horns

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Rey is so loving awesome that even dressing like that couldn't make me dislike him

Also I showed my mom the video where they bring Rey rescue cats and even she popped for him unmasking to gain the trust of the cats, and she couldn't give less of a poo poo about wrestling

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Rey only unmasks for cats and Kevin Nash's hair.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

ChrisBTY posted:

What was the solution there I wonder? I guess the first solution would have been to not trust Hogan to not get into Patrick's ear and just not do a fast count angle. But when you give a man like Hogan CC, what are your options? What's keeping him from saying 'I'm keeping the belt forever and never losing. And also I demand to be put into a gauntlet match where I beat every single wrestler in the company on a single show."?

Obviously you can't go back and know all the poo poo that's going to happen in hindsight, but this ABSOLUTELY should have been a huge warning sign for when they started to push Goldberg as top face, and Bischoff didn't learn at all. Someone needed to make it clear Goldberg was the top star now and he was going to be the one to utterly destroy the NWO like fans had wanted.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

How long was the Dungeon of Doom around for in WCW? I'm watching the Nitro from the end of '96 and it feels sort of...incongruous to hear their entrance music and stuff alongside the nWo. The former are sort of like a relic from the "old" WCW , and yet here they are, right alongside the modernizing WCW.

I never had cable as a kid so I missed Nitro but I know vaguely about the history of WCW in the 90s. Plus I had this VHS compilation tape of...Fall Brawl I think it was? The one where they have teams facing off against each other and one of them had Giant twisting off Hogan's head which I think Heenan (RIP) made a great comment about.

But, yeah, that was sort of my "impression" of WCW, seeing it from year-to-year like that. That's probably why I sort of associate the DoD with being part of the older WCW they were trying to move away from by '96.

It's nice seeing Meng and Barbs though.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

NikkolasKing posted:

How long was the Dungeon of Doom around for in WCW? I'm watching the Nitro from the end of '96 and it feels sort of...incongruous to hear their entrance music and stuff alongside the nWo. The former are sort of like a relic from the "old" WCW , and yet here they are, right alongside the modernizing WCW.

I never had cable as a kid so I missed Nitro but I know vaguely about the history of WCW in the 90s. Plus I had this VHS compilation tape of...Fall Brawl I think it was? The one where they have teams facing off against each other and one of them had Giant twisting off Hogan's head which I think Heenan (RIP) made a great comment about.

But, yeah, that was sort of my "impression" of WCW, seeing it from year-to-year like that. That's probably why I sort of associate the DoD with being part of the older WCW they were trying to move away from by '96.

I think to the beginning of 97? I was watching those recently and it's very VERY strange to have the Dungeon in there. They're certainly around shouting about how they won't be ignored while the NWO are doing their thing.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

The Dungeon of Doom existed until Kevin Sullivan retired after losing a match against Benoit at Bash at the Beach 1997. So a year after the nWo formed in July.

At that point though most of the freakshow guys had left, and it was Sullivan, Konnan, Jacky, Meng, Barbarian, and Jimmy Hart.

Konnan joined the nWo the very next night on Nitro, Jacky started managing Harlem Heat, and Jimmy Hart continued to manage Meng and Barbarian through 1998 before they broke up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Defiance Industries posted:

Obviously you can't go back and know all the poo poo that's going to happen in hindsight, but this ABSOLUTELY should have been a huge warning sign for when they started to push Goldberg as top face, and Bischoff didn't learn at all. Someone needed to make it clear Goldberg was the top star now and he was going to be the one to utterly destroy the NWO like fans had wanted.

What happens when Hogan says 'no'?

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Tato posted:

It's even harder to think of meaningful or GOOD matches the two ever had in WCW. I think Scott Hall's only single matches of note in WCW all involved ladders. I can't even think of a Nash match that approached decent.

In '98, Hall was #1 contender for Sting's WCW title (when they had finally moved on from Sting/Hogan) and got a match for it at Uncensored, but of course it went nowhere and Hogan eventually got the belt back anyway. Not sure if that was intended as one last major push for Hall or if they were just out of ideas.

NikkolasKing posted:

Nash's best matches in WWF were with Shawn, weren't they? Maybe one of his bouts with Bret?

SummerSlam '95, clearly.

Nah, it's probably Bret at that year's Survivor Series.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Good Friends Better Enemies is pretty clearly the best Hall match imo

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ChrisBTY posted:

Send him home. He'll get his money either way, but he's not loving everything else up.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

MassRafTer posted:

I keep thinking there is a more interesting story to this than "Hogan thought Konnan wasn't on his level" but I can't remember anything.

Oh for pete's sake, the ONE TIME you can't remember is the one time I was intrigued. :mad:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Schiavone's coming back to TV wrestling with MLW's new deal, WCW lives

BodyMassageMachine
Nov 24, 2006

:yeah:

ChrisBTY posted:

Call him a “bald headed bitch”

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

BodyMassageMachine posted:

Call him a “bald headed bitch”

I mean sure, it'll work and it ain't your money.
But then Hogan gets even more money.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Sorry, more babbling questions.

I'm remembering DDP's account of his match with Goldberg at Havoc '98. He says that when Goldberg missed the spear and hit the post, Goldberg legit rammed his head into the thing and for the rest of the match was pretty much out of it. Hence the reason why he kicked out so goddam early from what should have been a dramatic and long 2 count.

Between that, injuring himself and injuring Bret, was Goldberg just too green and maybe understandably hopped up on his own fame? So, regardless of the Streak ending or how it was done or any of that, he was kinda just a disaster waiting to happen? Maybe they had locked himself into a doomed path?

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
The last half of 98 is a loving master class in political sabotage by Hogan and Nash. Goldberg gets the belt and has all of ONE singles feud in that entire period and regularly has NO match on PPVs and TV while Hogan is still taking up 30% of the show with celebrities and Warrior. Then after removing Goldberg from television and giving him nothing to do, Nash is like "see, he's cooling off. I should beat him," takes the belt off Bill and instantly gives it to Hogan. Goldberg is gonna get his revenge though right? Lol, no. He's gonna feud with Scott Hall and Bam Bam.

Kevin Nash and Hogan did a lot to kill WCW and put a lot of guys out of work, but it's ultimately on guys like Bischoff who never stood up to them and let it happen.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry, more babbling questions.

I'm remembering DDP's account of his match with Goldberg at Havoc '98. He says that when Goldberg missed the spear and hit the post, Goldberg legit rammed his head into the thing and for the rest of the match was pretty much out of it. Hence the reason why he kicked out so goddam early from what should have been a dramatic and long 2 count.

Between that, injuring himself and injuring Bret, was Goldberg just too green and maybe understandably hopped up on his own fame? So, regardless of the Streak ending or how it was done or any of that, he was kinda just a disaster waiting to happen? Maybe they had locked himself into a doomed path?

No. Goldberg was super hopped up, but he wasn't a disaster waiting to happen. He gave Bret a concussion, poo poo happens. Bret's career ended because WCW then booked him in a bunch of matches where he got more concussions instead of letting him recover from it. There's lots of guys who have given people concussions. Yes he was green, but he also had one of the biggest years in the history of wrestling in 1998. Goldberg wouldn't have worked if he didn't have that insane energy. Part of what made him great was he wasn't a great worker, he was just so explosive that it carried into his matches.

Funkchop
Jun 9, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

No. Goldberg was super hopped up, but he wasn't a disaster waiting to happen. He gave Bret a concussion, poo poo happens. Bret's career ended because WCW then booked him in a bunch of matches where he got more concussions instead of letting him recover from it. There's lots of guys who have given people concussions.

Yeah, Bret's match with Terry Funk shortly afterwards probably did more damage than the Goldberg match if I'm remembering it right

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Bryan Danielson suffered more concussions than he could remember in his first year of wrestling and continued suffering them throughout his career. The two Goldberg suffered in his career don't even compare. Look at a safe worker like Orton, dude has a bunch of concussions.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Goldberg also stupidly punched out a car window after he dropped whatever gimmick he was using to do so on live television. This was late 1999, way after he'd cooled off, but messed up any momentum he was building back up because he cut the poo poo out of his arm.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Even cooled off Goldberg lapped everyone in WCW dozens of times over in terms of stardom, so of course WCW then built the main event around non-Goldberg talent as the fans were begging WCW to make Goldberg THE MAN.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

ChrisBTY posted:

Man...
So we know WCW couldn't ultimately live with Hogan.
But could they have lived without Hogan?
Was Hogan the only guy who ever moved the needle?
Was WCW's ceiling just 'make money off of Hogan until we can't anymore and die?'

Is that why Bischoff never seemed to think forward in his decision making at all?
Because he knew whatever he did, WCW would die anyway?

WCW is probably dead in 94 or 95 without signing Hogan. The company lost over $20 million in 1993 and the Flair/Steamboat stuff in the early half of 1994 wasn't exactly filling the arenas or getting ratings plus both Rude and Steamboat were at the end of their careers due to their back injuries. Most accounts around the time say that Bischoff's idea to sign Hogan was essentially his last chance under Turner to turn WCW around or it was going to disappear. Hogan signing instantly turned the company around and they broke even in '94 and are believed to have made profits from '95 through '98 before it all fell apart.

Think of it from Bischoff's perspective. If you're in his position and it's basically 'spike ratings right now or the company dies,' what other option even gives you the chance considering the available talent pool?

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Even cooled off Goldberg lapped everyone in WCW dozens of times over in terms of stardom, so of course WCW then built the main event around non-Goldberg talent as the fans were begging WCW to make Goldberg THE MAN.

I've said it before, but it's crazy how over Goldberg still was even after being off TV for months on end. The only other star who seemed to command that sort of stardom was Scott Hall, but he at least had Nash to make references to him in promos all the time. During pretty much every New Blood segment where Russo and Jarrett are strutting around the ring like a bunch of idiots, the crowd are just going mental for Goldberg to come out and give them their comeuppance (it's especially notable in the infamous David Arquette Heel Promo segment). So naturally he came back, turned heel, and REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

CubsWoo posted:

WCW is probably dead in 94 or 95 without signing Hogan. The company lost over $20 million in 1993 and the Flair/Steamboat stuff in the early half of 1994 wasn't exactly filling the arenas or getting ratings plus both Rude and Steamboat were at the end of their careers due to their back injuries. Most accounts around the time say that Bischoff's idea to sign Hogan was essentially his last chance under Turner to turn WCW around or it was going to disappear. Hogan signing instantly turned the company around and they broke even in '94 and are believed to have made profits from '95 through '98 before it all fell apart.

Think of it from Bischoff's perspective. If you're in his position and it's basically 'spike ratings right now or the company dies,' what other option even gives you the chance considering the available talent pool?

Well that's the problem isn't it?
WCW needed Hogan, but Hogan would become a toxic detriment that would prevent WCW from having a future.
So again I ask 'Was that it? Was that the ceiling? Made money off of Hogan until he kills the company"
(Yes I know Hogan was far from the singular force that ruined the company. But he did his damndest to make sure WCW didn't have a future)

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I've said it before, but it's crazy how over Goldberg still was even after being off TV for months on end. The only other star who seemed to command that sort of stardom was Scott Hall, but he at least had Nash to make references to him in promos all the time. During pretty much every New Blood segment where Russo and Jarrett are strutting around the ring like a bunch of idiots, the crowd are just going mental for Goldberg to come out and give them their comeuppance (it's especially notable in the infamous David Arquette Heel Promo segment). So naturally he came back, turned heel, and REFUSED TO FOLLOW THE SCRIPT.

That was, to this day, the stupidest thing I ever saw in my life. And I once saw kids try to breakdance on the 5 train during morning rush hour. It was like a live action botchamania battle royal on the way to work.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Wall is the best part of WCW in 2000. Change my mind.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

The Wall is the best part of WCW in 2000. Change my mind.

He joins MIA the worst stable in wrestling history.

But for one night at Spring Break Out 2000 he was God.

HE FEELS NO PAIN

HE FEARS NO MAN

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

MassRafTer posted:

He joins MIA the worst stable in wrestling history.

But for one night at Spring Break Out 2000 he was God.

HE FEELS NO PAIN

HE FEARS NO MAN

On the other hand the rest of 2000 is terrible and the wall is a solid worker who puts on a decent match every time he shows up

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The wall is my new favorite wrestler

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

On the other hand the rest of 2000 is terrible and the wall is a solid worker who puts on a decent match every time he shows up

Ehhh, I have seen a lot of really bad Wall matches.

He's like Braun, but good.

Just kidding Braun fans, they are the same guy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If Braun was the wall he would be way better, because he'd be the wall

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Ehhh, I have seen a lot of really bad Wall matches.

He's like Braun, but good.

Just kidding Braun fans, they are the same guy.

Counterpoint Braun was never in MIA

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

exploded mummy posted:

Counterpoint Braun was never in MIA

He was in the Wyatt Family though.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU

ChrisBTY posted:

Well that's the problem isn't it?
WCW needed Hogan, but Hogan would become a toxic detriment that would prevent WCW from having a future.
So again I ask 'Was that it? Was that the ceiling? Made money off of Hogan until he kills the company"
(Yes I know Hogan was far from the singular force that ruined the company. But he did his damndest to make sure WCW didn't have a future)

I think of it more as a person with a terminal disease that signs up for an experimental treatment. It might not work and it might end up fixing the initial problem but killing you 5 years down the line in a completely different way - but what do you have to lose by giving it a shot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Could Roman drag a ****1/4 match out of The Wall?