Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

onoflalks posted:

Armstrong's hosting the week after Jo "my husband, eh? tuh" Brand, guests are professional brother-to-Giles Victoria Coren and ex-con ex-Telegraph owner Conrad "The Obstructor" Black
Holy poo poo Ian is going to be amazing.

Also as scheduled a guest host this series is David Miliband which should be equally ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

He's very, very lucky about the timing of his trial. The prick.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?
All excited there as there was an advert saying that a new series of Misfits is coming soon. Bout bloody time!

Gelf
Oct 1, 2005

Wake up and smell the psychosis!\

Giedroyc posted:

I posted about this in the same thread a couple of weeks ago when I heard about this asking for more information about it because I don't live in the UK anymore and it seemed like a very shocking story to me and a few people here snapped that it was innocent until proven guilty. While I agree with that sentiment in all situations, the whole story has left me quite surprised at how much of a shitheel he actually is given how drat likeable the general public considered him to be on television a few years ago. There goes some of the very last of my faith in humanity...

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I'm rewatching the Grand Designs we were were talking about the other day, the ex-violin factory with secret library and no regard for planning permission.
These people are so... spoilt. It's awful, they are awful.

I had forgotten that the owners were architects using their own firm to do the build, and all I can think is that it is a dreadful advert for that company. "Hi, we can't organise a buggering in a barracks, and also we don't understand planning permission."

And the husbands had a big off-camera strop midway through the build.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009

Gelf posted:

While I agree with that sentiment in all situations, the whole story has left me quite surprised at how much of a shitheel he actually is given how drat likeable the general public considered him to be on television a few years ago. There goes some of the very last of my faith in humanity...

And Jimmy Savile was knighted and had statues put up of him. If horrible bastards were easy to spot then life would be much easier.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

James R posted:

All excited there as there was an advert saying that a new series of Misfits is coming soon. Bout bloody time!

Is anyone of note actually left in misfits?

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

Giedroyc posted:

It's mostly kept the press focus away from him, but I'd be amazed if he manages to get any work again for a long time. You can't really go back to presenting lighthearted knockabout weekend evening TV when everyone knows what a horrible oval office you are.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Is anyone of note actually left in misfits?

Curtiahahahahahahahahahaha

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Crankit posted:

I'd almost like to see Deayton on as a guest presenter, or maybe just guest.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Gelf posted:

I posted about this in the same thread a couple of weeks ago when I heard about this asking for more information about it because I don't live in the UK anymore and it seemed like a very shocking story to me and a few people here snapped that it was innocent until proven guilty. While I agree with that sentiment in all situations, the whole story has left me quite surprised at how much of a shitheel he actually is given how drat likeable the general public considered him to be on television a few years ago. There goes some of the very last of my faith in humanity...

I liked him and I read his autobiography, and he came across as very sweet and was really humble and doting towards his wife and son, and they showed up in a few later programs and seemed alright. When they split up I felt weirdly betrayed because he seemed incredibly sincere about it, but this really takes it.

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Oct 17, 2012

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Gelf posted:

Really? I've never met anyone who didn't think he was an absolute cock.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
A drunk guy in a chip shop once accused me of being Justin Lee Collins. I am now more offended than I was at the time.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've always hated him and now I have an actually good reason other than that he's a really annoying presenter

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Mickolution posted:

Really? I've never met anyone who didn't think he was an absolute cock.

I'm in your camp here, and I think the cast of Star Trek would agree with you after that Bring Back.. show.

Also, I saw an article about John, the winner of TGBB (It was on the Heat site, so prepare to suspend belief) but apparently, he enjoys getting drunk and 'bollock naked', and esd sldo 'coy' about his long term partner. Shocker! I never would have even considered the possibility he could be gay, what with his growly macho response to cutting his hand.

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Oct 17, 2012

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".
He always came across as an annoying idiot to me. Especially when he used to constantly spout the phrase 'good times'.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

Metrication posted:

He always came across as an annoying idiot to me. Especially when he used to constantly spout the phrase 'good times'.

Pribably he said that leaving court. Oh, I read in the papaer about Jimmy Saville he had his coffin encased in concrete so he could not be interred. Is that true? If so, he clearly must have known the floodbanks would open when he got taken down to hell, unless he was concerned about graverobbers digging him up for Ratners jewellry and Jim'll gently caress it badges.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Trickjaw posted:

I'm in your camp here, and I think the cast of Star Trek would agree with you after that Bring Back.. show.

Also, I saw an article about John, the winner of TGBB (It was on the Heat site, so prepare to suspend belief) but apparently, he enjoys getting drunk and 'bollock naked', and esd sldo 'coy' about his long term partner. Shocker! I never would have even considered the possibility he could be gay, what with his growly macho response to cutting his hand.
In one episode a few weeks ago he mentioned his "amazing partner Paul". Brendan being a right old queen isn't a surprise either

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

John's family made me feel very sad. "We were happy for him to go on GBBO but we thought he'd get knocked out in an early round and now we're worried that it might interfere with his law degree that he didn't want to do but that we pressured him in to."

So happy to see that he went on to get a 1st in his degree. And then gently caress law off to go and be a baker in Paris.

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Paperhouse posted:

In one episode a few weeks ago he mentioned his "amazing partner Paul". Brendan being a right old queen isn't a surprise either

Yeah, the lack of his partner being featured is probably down to the partner's wishes.

Who doesn't want this for Christmas? http://shop.seasonedcourses.com/courses/day-courses/baking-showstoppers

I think what gave Paul the edge over Brendan was experience. Brendan can do all the standard things brilliantly, but that's mostly down to constant practice for decades. John's a youngster with great skill and potential to go further.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005

FreakyZoid posted:

John's family made me feel very sad. "We were happy for him to go on GBBO but we thought he'd get knocked out in an early round and now we're worried that it might interfere with his law degree that he didn't want to do but that we pressured him in to."

So happy to see that he went on to get a 1st in his degree. And then gently caress law off to go and be a baker in Paris.

There was also his mum not being able to remember anything he had ever won in his life. HE WON OUR HEARTS YOU COLD BITCH!

e: stupid phone spelling

Trickjaw fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 17, 2012

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FreakyZoid posted:

Less lawyers, more pastry chefs. Everybody gets slightly plumper and I don't get any more spam texts from PPI Lawyers 4U.

I felt bad for John when they showed his family too. Suddenly his flailing insecurity under pressure made sense! Also felt bad for Brendan. Growing up gay in Ireland during the 1960/70s' couldn't have been super-fun.

Resonance
Dec 17, 2002

Don't give me any shit about plumbers, Jan.
Enjoying Fresh Meat. The new characters are good additions I feel, and I like how everything's ramping towards a new set of breakdowns for the leads.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I'm not really sure where to post this so I just thought I'd mention that I'm not excited at all for Misfits this year and thus won't be making the thread this go around.

It's up for grabs.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Unless the new cast are utterly fantastic from the get-go I doubt I'll be watching past the first episode.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

overstaying its welcome a bit

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Cerv posted:

overstaying its welcome a bit
I'm sure I'd still welcome it if it still had the original cast, but it feels like a cash-in to keep it going now. I'll probably watch the first episode but I'm not holding my breath

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Forget what I said about last week's Grand Design being mental, they've clearly been saving the true absurdity for this weeks' 100th episode special.

Central London. 200ft high, Grade II-listed water tower. Directly above the Northern Line. Access to the site only for the next 6 months. £200K short even before the build begins.

:stare:

(oh, wait, the builders have been on site for 25 minutes and informed the bloke he needs £300K more than originally thought...)

Irisi fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 17, 2012

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Anyone watching Grand Designs?

They're converting a water tower, and the design looked pretty neat, but as far as I can tell he's already underbudgeted by like 500k and doesn't actually own the plot of land he's planning to build the extension on. So, it's off to an excellent start.

e: Well, I guess someone is then. Yeah, I think it's going to be a trainwreck.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 17, 2012

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
I turned over to this by accident. It's looking like it'll be a beautiful trainwreck. Oddly enough, the guy doesn't seem completely up himself and seems to know he'll be in poo poo if he doesn't get financial backing down the line.

One of his first expenses was £7000 to clear out 200 dead pigeons.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

XMNN posted:

Anyone watching Grand Designs?

They're converting a water tower, and the design looked pretty neat, but as far as I can tell he's already underbudgeted by like 500k and doesn't actually own the plot of land he's planning to build the extension on. So, it's off to an excellent start.

e: Well, I guess someone is then. Yeah, I think it's going to be a trainwreck.

Well, he owns the land the extension is on, just not the surrounding land that is needed for access & equipment etc for the building site. I think.

This guy is actually disgusting "oh i just borrow half a million from a friend, I should be able to refinance that in a few months no big deal".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Cerv posted:

Well, he owns the land the extension is on, just not the surrounding land that is needed for access & equipment etc for the building site. I think.

This guy is actually disgusting "oh i just borrow half a million from a friend, I should be able to refinance that in a few months no big deal".

That would make sense.

And, yeah, it surprised me how casually he mentioned that his mate had lent him 500 grand. I think he just said he had got quite a lot of the cash by "shuffling his buy-to-let portfolio". Ugh.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock
Holy poo poo this building.

HOLY poo poo THIS BUILDING

I don't think I've ever been so jealous of someone else's home.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

FractionMan posted:

Holy poo poo this building.

HOLY poo poo THIS BUILDING

I don't think I've ever been so jealous of someone else's home.

I feel physically sick with envy. It is just achingly lovely. That 360-degree view over all London from the towertop is astonishing.

(gently caress, they must be £2 million in debt, at least.)

Doug Sisk
Sep 11, 2001
That is by far the nicest house I have ever seen on grand designs, I don't think I've actually felt jealousy at it before.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

One of very few houses I've seen on GD that hasn't been utterly vile.
But as awesome as it was, it seemed to have some serious issues.

The practical problems with being split over so many floors. And the tiny lift.
With only the two of them it's going to feel very empty and isolated. If you're in the kitchen and he's in the living room instead of just being a couple of steps or a shout away like you would in a normal home you're both completely isolated from each other.

I suspect they'd have been better off keeping the top couple of floors for a still amazing flat for themselves but turned the rest into a couple of separate studio flats to rent out. And put in a bigger lift.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

FractionMan posted:

I turned over to this by accident. It's looking like it'll be a beautiful trainwreck. Oddly enough, the guy doesn't seem completely up himself and seems to know he'll be in poo poo if he doesn't get financial backing down the line.

One of his first expenses was £7000 to clear out 200 dead pigeons.
Flipping heck, how can I get into the business of clearing out dead pigeons, I'd have done that for much less

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Paperhouse posted:

Flipping heck, how can I get into the business of clearing out dead pigeons, I'd have done that for much less

Think they said all six floors of the tower were also half a metre deep in 130 years worth of pigeon poo poo. I'd have probably wanted paid 7 grand to clear that little lot out (though you might have been able to sell it on, doesn't guano make marvellous fertilizer?)

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
Slightly late to the party (but I don't care), jumping on the JLC hate-wagon with thread favourite Charlie Brooker

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tz8vCFWa9D8&t=2m16s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXl4R3XXz0k

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I've always loved his JLC impression. Especially the "why does people fight with guns? it's a world at war" theme tune

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
It really was a stupidly small lift. I don't know, I really like the exterior, and the top floor view was genuinely spectacular, but it felt like they made a poor use of some of the space. And yeah, the lift could have done with going as high as the penultimate floor at least.
And I didn't like the bottom ofthe extension building much at all.

They were quite obviously ridiculously privileged but, unlike so many GD participants, at least they didn't come across as grasping arrogant twats.