Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

I'm just here for the button pressing gameplay. Some of the buttons are very very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Solarin posted:

I think progress will be limited by how many tank glyphs you can grind once the 65 era hits. Not hard to imagine tanks using 100 AA of glyphs in one raid.

Tank glyphs are loving broken and should be removed. I've seen casters tank Quarm in PoP era with one running. But yes I agree they'll probably be leaned on particularly heavily on Vaniki.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Fanelien posted:

Tank glyphs are loving broken and should be removed. I've seen casters tank Quarm in PoP era with one running. But yes I agree they'll probably be leaned on particularly heavily on Vaniki.

Honestly, I almost tanked the last boss in vex thal as a shaman on aradune snd that was my crowning achievement irl. I don't really know where to go from here :shrug:

E: these servers are still weeks out, pls someone just give me purpose

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Honestly, I almost tanked the last boss in vex thal as a shaman on aradune snd that was my crowning achievement irl. I don't really know where to go from here :shrug:

E: these servers are still weeks out, pls someone just give me purpose

AHR is a classic Luclin mob, it was an endurance fight. Hits for 1500 max from memory and not very often, ramp but no flurry. I think I remember way back in the day I rune tanked part of it as a wizard when we ran out of tanks late in a AHR fight, back when res sickness actually meant something. Khati Sha however was another thing entirely!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Also, Everquest is certainly not “in real life.”

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

RCarr posted:

wrong

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
You're in their world now!

WTF BEES
Feb 26, 2004

I think I just hit a creature?

RCarr posted:

To this day I still have EQ dreams, mostly waking up in a RL version of the newbie log in Nektulos or the starting area in Swamp of No Hope to the right of the Cabilis entrance. It's interesting because on the whole I've played WAYYYY more WoW than EQ, but EQ is the one I dream about.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

RCarr posted:

Mods???

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

I really hope they make the change to other servers as well (regarding relaxed truebox), it would be very nice to hit OoW or DoN and be able to box my crew on a single PC instead of having 3 running all the time.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I don't understand why they don't just relax it at launch, what's the point

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

suuma posted:

I don't understand why they don't just relax it at launch, what's the point

I imagine they want yelinak there for returning players that don’t want different server rule sets. There at least they probably want to minimize rolling hoards of mage groups on launch (to the extent that they can).

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Yiggy posted:

I imagine they want yelinak there for returning players that don’t want different server rule sets. There at least they probably want to minimize rolling hoards of mage groups on launch (to the extent that they can).

I thought it was all about zerker zergs now?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

zerkers are going to be baaaaaaaad to start though, even for fast burns I think you're going to have monks/rogues beating them, could be wrong though.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

MF_James posted:

zerkers are going to be baaaaaaaad to start though, even for fast burns I think you're going to have monks/rogues beating them, could be wrong though.

Yeah Monks will be top burst and sustained dps, especially with that level lock because Monks are broken on TLPs, Zerks don't take over DPS charts til SoF/SoD.

MF_James posted:

I really hope they make the change to other servers as well (regarding relaxed truebox), it would be very nice to hit OoW or DoN and be able to box my crew on a single PC instead of having 3 running all the time.

Yep this would help the existing truebox servers a lot right now. Truebox is there to placate the fools that post all over the EQ official forums about how unfair the boxers are to them and how they killed their grandmother on ragefire or whatever, their VM detection has got 'better' over the years but you can still 72 box if you really, really want to. There was one guy on Mangler doing it, very obviously all MQ2 run 72 box team constantly selling raid loot rights. Truebox flag means DP can just say 'but we maed it trubux!' when people complain

I'll be very interested to see how Yelinak progresses into the later eras especially off-time guilds like oceanic which generally rely heavily on boxes past Gates.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I can see sustained but top burst? Even over rogues?

MF_James
May 8, 2008

Yeah, prior to the 64bit update, you could run a hyper-v VM (i think hyper-v) and box in there if you didn't patch past a certain point or something like that.

it's so funny people complain about truebox because I was boxing multiple characters on a single computer by PoP

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Orange DeviI posted:

I can see sustained but top burst? Even over rogues?

Yep, rogues are hot garbage until later expansions when their weapons actually start doing decent DPS. We've got a half reasonable one in our current guild in UF, usually sits around 9-10th place out of 30odd characters. Monks are flat out broken until probably Omens, their DPS on a single target is just silly.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Fanelien posted:

Yep, rogues are hot garbage until later expansions when their weapons actually start doing decent DPS. We've got a half reasonable one in our current guild in UF, usually sits around 9-10th place out of 30odd characters. Monks are flat out broken until probably Omens, their DPS on a single target is just silly.

This is wack, I know monks as tanky as gently caress and great sustained DPS during my era (up to velious), but burst too lmao

I have no idea what to 1box on the level lock server. Maybe an iksar necro.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Rogues start to shine once you get end-of-era velious weapons. In Luclin rogues start getting better, but monks are still super competitive, particularly if they want to actively work at getting better in terms of timings and rotations. Of course, rangers with trueshot aura is insane, but Luclin is kind of a poo poo show wrt dps. I was able to hit top 5 as a shaman in VT if I didn't get unlucky with aggro / the tanks worked to keep aggro off me / the healers didn't collectively decide to let me die.

I don't know about PoP, I missed flagging and quit aradune at launch, but I assume rogues continues to get better but shamans we're still the best :thumbsup:

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Once monks get speed focus (LDoN) and destructive force (GoD) it's basically over for other classes competing on burns in the near future. Those two buttons with a strong 2HB just melts poo poo. Macro in Intensity (DoN 4 hour cd damage buff AA everyone gets) with everything else and you have the easiest to use and strongest burn.

Monk spam will for sure be the meta on their level lock server. Their 1.0 epic is probably pretty easy to get at 40 even. Their 2.0 is also drat easy, I was able to 3 box most of it.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah all that time on classic private servers definitely shaped my judgement, the power creep is real.

Monk 1.0 epic isn't particularly hard

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!
In later expansions like TSS through UF bards are pretty legit dps.

Our guilds bards are usually top fifteen out of 45 real players. We usually have two or three in top ten.

This is on mangler.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
I’m gonna go monk / shaman on Yelinak. It’s just too solid of a combo and I had a lot of fun when I went that route on Mangler a couple years back. I was thinking of trying Cleric over Shaman but Alchemy is too good to pass up. It’s how I made stupid amounts of money just semi afk in EC selling potions.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Doctor Party posted:

In later expansions like TSS through UF bards are pretty legit dps.

Our guilds bards are usually top fifteen out of 45 real players. We usually have two or three in top ten.

This is on mangler.

Yeah on Mangler right now for us it's usually BER WIZ MAG BRD WAR MAG BRD ROG MAG MNK for a top 10. Would be nice to have more Berserkers and Wizards because there's quite a gap there at times to the rest, and dropping some of these encounter phases ASAP is quite important in Underfoot.

As to these new servers I'm sticking with Mangler for a bit more. We're still going somehow so keep riding it out, even though Underfoot is a poo poo expansion for poo poo people that needs to be deleted from the game.

Doctor Party
Jan 3, 2004

Doctor Party Woohoo!

Fanelien posted:

Yeah on Mangler right now for us it's usually BER WIZ MAG BRD WAR MAG BRD ROG MAG MNK for a top 10. Would be nice to have more Berserkers and Wizards because there's quite a gap there at times to the rest, and dropping some of these encounter phases ASAP is quite important in Underfoot.

As to these new servers I'm sticking with Mangler for a bit more. We're still going somehow so keep riding it out, even though Underfoot is a poo poo expansion for poo poo people that needs to be deleted from the game.

What guild are you in? I am in mess. Although actually I am on a little break for family stuff. I plan to come back once life gets a little more calm.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Doctor Party posted:

What guild are you in? I am in mess. Although actually I am on a little break for family stuff. I plan to come back once life gets a little more calm.

I'm one of the officers in Spectral Shift. I've been on a week's break sick with covid myself, not enjoying underfoot made that a lot easier.

diapermeat
Feb 10, 2009

MrSargent posted:

I’m gonna go monk / shaman on Yelinak. It’s just too solid of a combo and I had a lot of fun when I went that route on Mangler a couple years back. I was thinking of trying Cleric over Shaman but Alchemy is too good to pass up. It’s how I made stupid amounts of money just semi afk in EC selling potions.

What races/starting cities do you usually go? I was thinking of the same. Last opener I went ENC/CLR

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.

diapermeat posted:

What races/starting cities do you usually go? I was thinking of the same. Last opener I went ENC/CLR

Since it starts in classic, you can only go Human Monk to start and I chose Freeport because it’s closer to everything, especially EC. Qeynos isn’t bad it’s just really out of the way. For my Shaman, last time I went with Ogre for the massive stamina and frontal stun immunity. I also always liked how derpy the old ogre models were. But this time I might try a Troll since the regen is pretty useful. Trolls and Ogres start pretty close together and it isn’t the worst run to get them over to my monk.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’ve always wanted to start qeynos based but origin into freeport is just so drat useful. Until surefall glades port exists, you may as well not have an origin button for qeynos start.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
I was a Freeport lifer until I did a Barbarian Rogue start for Agnarr and now I'm a Qeynos convert. You can do 1-20 in Qeynos sewers and then Qeynos hills by just roaming around killing everything you see and turning in the quest items. and the lightstone quest turn in is very close if you wanna go that route. I hate camps and can usually only play for an hour at a time so it was a fun way to play.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Qeynos start is the superior human start for ease of leveling. If you have wizard/druid friends, Toxx really isn't far. Blackburrow is dope, W. Karana bandits are dope, S. Karana is like the best outdoor leveling zone in the old world and Splitpaw is great experience if a.little challenging. But life is a bit tough if you want to stray from that leveling path like at all and you can't find ports.

Ogre is the superior shaman race. Frontal stun immunity is priceless and what makes shaman as good tanks as warriors post 51 and particularly with torpor. Don't trust the troll regen, it's a trap and you're fat but you're not a cool, sexy ogre.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
If I convince myself to play Yelinak I’m leaning toward a Quellious Human Monk to start in Freeport, and an Inny Troll Shaman for the clicky snare.

I doubt I’d pick the Inny Troll over an Ogre if I was planning to play longer term. But I’m only sticking around for Classic/Kunark/Velious.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

I’ve gone troll for that snare neck before and boy let me tell you, it sucks and basically never lands on mobs you want to use it on. Troll looks cooler than ogre always, just don’t expect that snare neck to do anything more than take up an inventory slot. It takes forever to channel, and is resisted extremely easily. You’re pretty much better off lining up a nuke in that channel time, it’s more likely to cut enough hp to slow the mob down than the neck reliably landing.

Oh I guess my favorite part of that questline is the half ling illusion mask, so it isn’t all bad.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
I recall (20 years later?????) getting the snare neck for my dark elf cleric and being pretty sad about its performance.

(I will never stop reading this thread)

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

MF_James posted:

Yeah, prior to the 64bit update, you could run a hyper-v VM (i think hyper-v) and box in there if you didn't patch past a certain point or something like that.

it's so funny people complain about truebox because I was boxing multiple characters on a single computer by PoP

They really could tell for a while because VMWare/VBox didn't attempt to pretend they weren't virtual machines. They've been indistinguishable for some years now though, so "Truebox" nowadays just means scare tactic for PR purposes. Click the Bridged networking button while making your EQ virtual boxes, not even Brad McQuaid could tell you're not playing on 2 "true" boxes

unoplank
Aug 3, 2004
I lurk...

Fanelien posted:

I'm one of the officers in Spectral Shift. I've been on a week's break sick with covid myself, not enjoying underfoot made that a lot easier.

I'm on Mangler too in Hella Darkness... UF is interesting but I think it's still a difficult expansion, seems like a speed bump on the way to HOT. I've never raided either expansion before though, so was fine with seeing the fights "in era" so that I can never do them again. Also some of the fights are a PITA (due to tedious mechanics -- Trial of Creation sucks!).

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Snare neck is bad, ogre shaman is the only true way. Even if you don't care about the stun immunity, the roleplay opportunity is immense.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
so after playing on TAKP for a while I've kind of some full circle on PoP and am seriously looking at Live again in some form.

when I started playing the emu servers, like many others I played a ton of P99 and was part of that hardcore "baz and luclin and pok are horrible and ruined the game!" group of vocal players.

since shifting over to TAKP I've really come to appreciate 2boxing (and 3boxing, to a lesser extent) and can't see playing the game any other way unless I played a really high APM class. now that they've released PoP, I've come to greatly dislike that era of EQ all over again for completely different reasons - the ZEMs that have herded players like me into a few optimal zones like Bastion of Thunder and Plane of Tactics, the entire flagging ordeal for raids, etc has all left me somewhat disappointed and burnt out.

the new TLPs have me kinda pumped - Vaniki in particular I think will be a fun server to run around and do some content I've never done before. aside from LDON, is there any interesting LoY content worth checking out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

cmdrk posted:

the new TLPs have me kinda pumped - Vaniki in particular I think will be a fun server to run around and do some content I've never done before. aside from LDON, is there any interesting LoY content worth checking out?

Dulak’s harbor is a decent zone. Pirate harbor. I saw power levelers and regular xp groups/alt groups returning back several expansions later. The pirate ships with the different crews are pretty cool. Some have some mini scripted events. If you’re a priest caster and you plan to raid there is a spell quest for an efficient cure spell that steers you through crypt of nadox.