Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The actual main thing OU people do is say that UT doesn't count as a rival anymore since they got so bad, what a shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
"You started The Great Depression, shut up." is the response to anything from Oklahoma.

I mean not really their fault, but why not pile on?

With that said I went to Oklahoma City for the first time ever for a business trip a few months ago and I have to say, just the nicest bunch of people I've met. I was genuinely impressed with city and its residents, not that I met that many of them, and also the Mexican food.

I have a fantastic shot of one of the last remaining Toby Keith's I Love this Bar & Grill outlets with the Sonic world headquarters in the background.

oklahoma.jpg

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My mom's from Norman so I have tainted blood

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE

ReindeerF posted:

"You started The Great Depression, shut up." is the response to anything from Oklahoma.

I mean not really their fault, but why not pile on?

With that said I went to Oklahoma City for the first time ever for a business trip a few months ago and I have to say, just the nicest bunch of people I've met. I was genuinely impressed with city and its residents, not that I met that many of them, and also the Mexican food.

I have a fantastic shot of one of the last remaining Toby Keith's I Love this Bar & Grill outlets with the Sonic world headquarters in the background.

oklahoma.jpg

OKC has really transformed itself over the last 15 years or so. It’s actually really nice (in the more urban core).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Optimus Prime Rib posted:

I find the dumb way Matthew McConaughey raises his horns to be infinitely more offensive than the horns down.

Eat the rich

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

OKC has really transformed itself over the last 15 years or so. It’s actually really nice (in the more urban core).

It's such a ghost town in its downtown area it's super creepy. Same with the memorial site but that's a more solemn area. Man going there at dusk was so surreal and entering the church across the street. Which was only candle lit.

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1150862374523609089

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Looking forward to the leg legalizing this after Austin tries to ban it.

https://twitter.com/CarlForrest/status/1150856399158730752

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Drone Jett posted:

Looking forward to the leg legalizing this after Austin tries to ban it.

https://twitter.com/CarlForrest/status/1150856399158730752

Well, they're mothballing the A-10, so you've got to get your close air support from somewhere.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shoutout to the 11 pm noise curfew in the "Live Music Capital of the World" thanks to people who came to Austin for the scene and then moved into downtown condos and became ultra nimbys

https://twitter.com/MorrisReports/status/1151159423219458053

Hmmm seems bribe-y to me

zoux fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 16, 2019

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/keribla/status/1150914870814093315?s=21

She’s probably less relevant than Joe Strauss now but still interesting I guess. She’d previously made noise for saying the death penalty was bad (while still serving on the court).

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I look forward to her and the five other never trumpers in the country being used as a reason to drive the Democratic Party further right and keep appeasing Republicans.

I got dinner with the owners of a truck company we work with last night. Real workin man small business built from the ground up all that. They run things real well give their guys better pay and time off than all the competitors. Also pastors, and the worst they managed to say about trump is that he might have crossed the line with his go back home tweets before turning around in the very next sentence and deciding it’s fine. I watched them change their standards of decency in real time to stay in line with trump and that’s what they’ll all keep doing. Democrats can’t do anything to ever appeal to them.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Comrayn posted:

I look forward to her and the five other never trumpers in the country being used as a reason to drive the Democratic Party further right and keep appeasing Republicans.

I got dinner with the owners of a truck company we work with last night. Real workin man small business built from the ground up all that. They run things real well give their guys better pay and time off than all the competitors. Also pastors, and the worst they managed to say about trump is that he might have crossed the line with his go back home tweets before turning around in the very next sentence and deciding it’s fine. I watched them change their standards of decency in real time to stay in line with trump and that’s what they’ll all keep doing. Democrats can’t do anything to ever appeal to them.

Admitting you are wrong is the worst thing possible to most Americans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/martinepowers/status/1151254035862892544

Take his David Caruso rear end back to El Paso

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I was excited about Beto for senate, but not as excited for Beto for president. I still like the guy though. Just don’t think his message is really resonating right now

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Just don’t think his message meant poo poo when he went and squandered a second wind of a Senate campaign when nobody in this state gets a second chance after a gently caress up Senate/Gov run.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

zoux posted:

Shoutout to the 11 pm noise curfew in the "Live Music Capital of the World" thanks to people who came to Austin for the scene and then moved into downtown condos and became ultra nimbys

the worst part of that is there are plenty of nice places to live in Austin that are not 6th street if that's not your jam. but no, let's build condos next to bars and bitch about the noise

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

They can complain. The cops doing anything to stop the noise is debatable. They hate those noise callers all the same.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Don't worry, Chris Bell is coming to save the day!

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Nonsense posted:

when nobody in this state gets a second chance after a gently caress up Senate/Gov run.

ReindeerF posted:

Don't worry, Chris Bell is coming to save the day!
beat me to it

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

skipdogg posted:

I was excited about Beto for senate, but not as excited for Beto for president. I still like the guy though. Just don’t think his message is really resonating right now

His message largely boils down to “I'm not a chud”, which is substantial when you’re running against Ted loving Cruz, but not when you’re running against a dozen others who are also sending that same signal.

Nonsense posted:

Just don’t think his message meant poo poo when he went and squandered a second wind of a Senate campaign when nobody in this state gets a second chance after a gently caress up Senate/Gov run.

Yep, he hosed up and arrogantly got into the wrong election, he could've made a second run at Senate, helped boost turnout again for all the down-ballot races, and stayed a rising star in the Democratic party win or lose; instead he's already an also-ran has-been embarrassing himself on a vanity project.

Edit: someone in my San Antonio neighborhood put up a “Beto for President” yard sign back in March or April, not long after he announced. I just realized last week while walking my dog that the sign is gone now.

Blotto_Otter fucked around with this message at 12:41 on Jul 17, 2019

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Yep, he hosed up and arrogantly got into the wrong election, he could've made a second run at Senate, helped boost turnout again for all the down-ballot races, and stayed a rising star in the Democratic party win or lose; instead he's already an also-ran has-been embarrassing himself on a vanity project.

To his defense, no one would shut the gently caress up about getting him to run for president once the senate race ended, and even before. I never liked the idea, but a lot of people inside and outside of Texas, especially the media, were constantly asking him and being impatient about when he was going to enter the race. I think Dems should just stop encouraging every candidate we halfway like to run for president.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
This is a side effect of the Dems getting gutted by losses and then spending a decade trying to get one specific person elected.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Mistaken Frisbee posted:

To his defense, no one would shut the gently caress up about getting him to run for president once the senate race ended, and even before. I never liked the idea, but a lot of people inside and outside of Texas, especially the media, were constantly asking him and being impatient about when he was going to enter the race. I think Dems should just stop encouraging every candidate we halfway like to run for president.

Oh definitely, the greater Democratic party has a real problem with obsessing over the presidential race to the point of neglecting potentially-competitive statewide races. Beto's hardly the only presidential candidate guilty of avoiding a competitive Senate race in order to mount an ill-fated presidential bid. But I think there's plenty of room to assign blame both to the party's overall neglect of statewide races and Beto's (and Bullock's, and half the Democratic presidential field) vanity and lack of political instincts. He should've known that the odds of winning a Senate race, while not great, were always going to be better than the odds of winning a nomination in a crowded field. He also should've known that another hypothetical losing Senate race, while personally painful, would've done a lot to help down-ballot Democrats again, like it did in 2018.

I suspect he did know that all that, but decided that he was more comfortable bearing the cost of a probable presidential loss than the possible second loss of a senate campaign. He decided to play not-to-lose, rather than play to win.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1151293969076109313

That sure is exactly what you would expect to see.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

In fairness to Anderson Cooper, those ladies weren't even the worst Dallas-spawned white people that CNN gave a platform to yesterday.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

In fairness to Anderson Cooper, those ladies weren't even the worst Dallas-spawned white people that CNN gave a platform to yesterday.

https://twitter.com/jesseltaylor/status/1151512989658492928

quote:

"The Republican base is fired up," Gina O'Briant said from her North Dallas home Monday night. "He's really a great President in my eyes. And I think that somebody needed to say something."

O'Briant, and two other avid Trump supporters, agreed to sit down with WFAA to react to the outcry in some circles for President Trump to tone down his rhetoric against political opponents, against the media, and against people he perceives as his enemy. They say he shouldn't.

"It may not be the way that we would speak out," said Trump supporter Karen Anders. "But we have to look at his actions. His words are powerful yes. But let's look at what he's doing."

"I don't see anything wrong with…I don't have a problem with him tweeting and being honest," O'Briant said.

That's from last October.

Google any one of them, they are all hardcore right wing Trumpers from way back. Media does this thing where they say "let's see what average voters think" but they're all operatives and talk radio hosts and then moron Dem strategists watch this and think "we have to reach these people"

zoux fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 17, 2019

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blotto_Otter posted:

I suspect he did know that all that, but decided that he was more comfortable bearing the cost of a probable presidential loss than the possible second loss of a senate campaign. He decided to play not-to-lose, rather than play to win.

Beto isn’t running for President. Beto is running for Vice President, and he still has a legitimate shot at that. He’s a good “middle ground” guy to balance the ticket if any of the major progressive candidates get the nomination, and even if Biden gets the nomination he’s a chance for some “youthful energy” on that ticket. If he was running for Senate again there’s no way he’s be able to become the VP pick, and it’s a guaranteed loss. He has a real shot at VP, though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

LanceHunter posted:

Beto isn’t running for President. Beto is running for Vice President, and he still has a legitimate shot at that. He’s a good “middle ground” guy to balance the ticket if any of the major progressive candidates get the nomination, and even if Biden gets the nomination he’s a chance for some “youthful energy” on that ticket. If he was running for Senate again there’s no way he’s be able to become the VP pick, and it’s a guaranteed loss. He has a real shot at VP, though.

Yep, which is why it's so funny that Julian waited and waited, avoiding running and losing for statewide, for just the right moment to run for VP as a potential purple Texas maker (lol) and riiiight when he makes his jump, here comes Beto in the same lane, with way more name recognition, money and momentum.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they were anything less than terrible and that Cooper giving the MAGA Wives of Dallas a platform to talk about racism was anything less than preposterous, I only meant to imply that they weren't even the lowest depths of Dallas-raised racism that CNN plumbed yesterday. Packaging a conventionally-racist middle-aged Dallas wives' coffee klatch up as a focus group seems quaint after watching them go to lightspeed by inviting avowed white-nationalist, pro-ethnic cleansing Richard loving Spencer on to talk about racism.

Blotto_Otter
Aug 16, 2013

LanceHunter posted:

Even if that's his intent, I think that's folly too - I think that if Biden or Sanders win the nom they're more likely to pick a woman or person of color (or both) as VP, not another white guy, because another all-straight-white-male ticket isn't going to excite the base. Perhaps a Warren or a Harris nominee might pick another run-of-the-mill white dude, but Beto's lackluster performance in this campaign calls into doubt how beneficial his "youthful energy" would be, and he's got to contend with Castro in the "vain hope that they might turn Texas blue" lane. Maybe that's only obvious in hindsight and VP looked like a good possibility at the time of his announcement, but it was still arrogant and selfish to pursue a national office in a field with plenty of equally- or more-qualified candidates instead of continuing to build the party up at the state level. (And yes, I recognize my own folly in expecting anything other than arrogance and selfishness in a politician's decisions about which race to enter.)

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Blotto_Otter posted:

Even if that's his intent, I think that's folly too - I think that if Biden or Sanders win the nom they're more likely to pick a woman or person of color (or both) as VP, not another white guy, because another all-straight-white-male ticket isn't going to excite the base. Perhaps a Warren or a Harris nominee might pick another run-of-the-mill white dude, but Beto's lackluster performance in this campaign calls into doubt how beneficial his "youthful energy" would be, and he's got to contend with Castro in the "vain hope that they might turn Texas blue" lane. Maybe that's only obvious in hindsight and VP looked like a good possibility at the time of his announcement, but it was still arrogant and selfish to pursue a national office in a field with plenty of equally- or more-qualified candidates instead of continuing to build the party up at the state level. (And yes, I recognize my own folly in expecting anything other than arrogance and selfishness in a politician's decisions about which race to enter.)

I mean, in my dream world Beto decided to become head of the Texas Democratic Party, using his experience with building his campaign to fix the broke-rear end party.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Blotto_Otter posted:

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that they were anything less than terrible and that Cooper giving the MAGA Wives of Dallas a platform to talk about racism was anything less than preposterous, I only meant to imply that they weren't even the lowest depths of Dallas-raised racism that CNN plumbed yesterday. Packaging a conventionally-racist middle-aged Dallas wives' coffee klatch up as a focus group seems quaint after watching them go to lightspeed by inviting avowed white-nationalist, pro-ethnic cleansing Richard loving Spencer on to talk about racism.

CNN's audience is center left and center right people, and they love to watch Nazis say stupid things and feel outrage about it. There's a reason they didn't have a panel of Democratic women to comment. "Why do they keep giving these people platforms", because that's what the audience wants to see.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

LanceHunter posted:

I mean, in my dream world Beto decided to become head of the Texas Democratic Party, using his experience with building his campaign to fix the broke-rear end party.

Yup, that would have done Texas a lot of good.

Instead, uhhhhh

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

A lot of this is because a bunch of professional political operatives saw paychecks, convinced candidates they had a shot, and that's why you have 23 Democrats running for president.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

PostNouveau posted:

Yup, that would have done Texas a lot of good.

Instead, uhhhhh

If the VP gambit doesn’t work out, there’s still a chance...

zoux posted:

A lot of this is because a bunch of professional political operatives saw paychecks, convinced candidates they had a shot, and that's why you have 23 Democrats running for president.

Man, I’m still a bit depressed about Cory Booker. Dude is legitimately really awesome and motivated, has a track record of doing really good work in Newark, and could have been a legitimately good President. But now his campaign has FB ads out about how he needs to hit a goal of 5000 individual donors this month (with a “we are here” arrow pointing to a point that is depressingly far from the goal.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 17, 2019

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Beto coming back to Texas, tail between his legs, and spending time rebuilding the party locally is about the only way forward to gain some legitimacy and not be another has been Chris Bell that I'm seeing right now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/DadePhelan/status/1151326286314450944

Gah

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Wow FaceApp's old age filter really hosed those dudes up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/AC360/status/1151293969076109313

That sure is exactly what you would expect to see.

This is a powerful curse. Almost parody defyingly so.

I can almost hear the Wonder Showzen 'White People' Melody playing when they speak.