Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Can someone please recommend a good photo printing service for people in Canada? I want something better than walmart, for ~12x18" sizes.

dpreview listed some off, but the article was fairly US centric and they all either want >50$ US to ship here, have broken account registration so I can't upload photos, or other problems for me.
McBain is close to me, but the max resolution they take is lower than I want to use and cap at 8x12"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

larper
Apr 9, 2019

Birudojin posted:

Can someone please recommend a good photo printing service for people in Canada? I want something better than walmart, for ~12x18" sizes.

dpreview listed some off, but the article was fairly US centric and they all either want >50$ US to ship here, have broken account registration so I can't upload photos, or other problems for me.
McBain is close to me, but the max resolution they take is lower than I want to use and cap at 8x12"

http://flickr.com

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
Thanks - that's the best I could find as well, and cheaper than buying directly from the print labs they claim to use. I'll give them a shot.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hello fellow dorkroom posters.

With the future of SA up in the air it would be a shame to lose this wonderful community to the ether, this is my favorite place to post about photography and get dunked on by people who are far more talented than me. To that end there's a new stickied thread and a Dorkroom discord has been made. If the worst comes to pass it'd be a shame to lose touch with all of you fine posters, so please come in and have a chat, or let us know some of your other favorite places to talk about photography.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3929110

https://discord.gg/98XxqMB

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Could someone recommend a photo organizing program? Over the years I have accumulated ~400GB of photos and videos and many of them are duplicates because I am very lazy and just copy the entire contents of cameras/phones/ipads and etc... over to a NAS.

Ideally I would 'push button' and end up with a single directory of images and videos. Organized by date is fine but something advanced like searchable location or face recognition would be cool, I guess?

Or, should I just stick everything on google cloud and forget about it? Note: I don't trust google to not just decide to abandon ship one day and who the gently caress knows what they are doing with all that data.

edit: To hopefully spark a response, how about Adobe Bridge? https://www.adobe.com/products/bridge.html

Murgos fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jun 26, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
There are a few open source alternatives to Lightroom you could try to see if any fit the bill; Darktable, Lightzone, DigiKam, RawTherapee

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thanks, I'm going to check out DigiKam. It seems to have most of what I am looking for.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I'm not completely comfortable with the solutions presented on page 1 of the Google search for "removing duplicates in Lightroom Classic", so hoping the goon hivemind has some magical solution in the form of an obscure plugin that is free or cheap.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hello Spaceman posted:

I'm not completely comfortable with the solutions presented on page 1 of the Google search for "removing duplicates in Lightroom Classic", so hoping the goon hivemind has some magical solution in the form of an obscure plugin that is free or cheap.

Duplicate as in exact same file with a different name duplicates or similar photos like various versions?

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

jarlywarly posted:

Duplicate as in exact same file with a different name duplicates or similar photos like various versions?

Oh, in this case I’m trying to root out multiple copies of the same images (a byproduct of editing stuff on my iPad and then importing those JPGs alongside the original files from the SD card).

My library has 18k photos so I am not going to have the patience to do it manually.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the filenames match, it's relatively easy. Just google 'duplicate file finder' and download whatever doesn't look like spyware. Most of them will do checksums so the filenames don't have to exactly match, but if you're saving jpegs it's likely the checksums won't match either.. so it's likely the filenames will have to be the same to get any progress.

So if the filenames are different you're probably screwed! :v:

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Hello Spaceman posted:

Oh, in this case I’m trying to root out multiple copies of the same images (a byproduct of editing stuff on my iPad and then importing those JPGs alongside the original files from the SD card).

My library has 18k photos so I am not going to have the patience to do it manually.

Try AllDup

http://www.alldup.de/alldup_help/alldup.php

Obviously backing things up is recommended before dupe removal attempts.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Im tidying up my photo frames and archiving some old photos. Some of the photos are stuck to the glass. Is there any way to get these loose? I tried using a thin knife but i saw the photo started ripping so i stopped doing that. It is the old style of photo frame that is just glass mounted on a hard back with some metal clamps to keep the glass in place so i have access from all sides.

EDIT: I should mention it is the photograps i care about, the glass plate can be broken for all i care

Ineptitude fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 7, 2020

Heavy Hands
Jan 1, 2006

Helmut
the
Mysterion

Ineptitude posted:

Im tidying up my photo frames and archiving some old photos. Some of the photos are stuck to the glass. Is there any way to get these loose? I tried using a thin knife but i saw the photo started ripping so i stopped doing that. It is the old style of photo frame that is just glass mounted on a hard back with some metal clamps to keep the glass in place so i have access from all sides.

EDIT: I should mention it is the photograps i care about, the glass plate can be broken for all i care

There's some suggestions here that might help: https://www.photoancestry.com/photo-stuck-to-glass.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aww gently caress flickr updated their front page to put a graph of your 'recent views' in the upper right and that big fat zero is making me feel even more inferior.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

xzzy posted:

Aww gently caress flickr updated their front page to put a graph of your 'recent views' in the upper right and that big fat zero is making me feel even more inferior.

I get 30 or so a day. And then, over a thousand, then 10 a day for a while, then 800, then 30 a day for a while.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Judging by the mind melting bizarro stuff that gets tons of views and likes I wouldn’t use that as a metric of worth.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

What’s the best option for printing from Mac and Windows, respectively? I have the Fischer Price version of Lightroom, so no printing from there.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

What’s the best option for printing from Mac and Windows, respectively? I have the Fischer Price version of Lightroom, so no printing from there.

Which printer? Canons come with Print Studio Pro. It manages all the icc profiles and printer set up better than Lightroom. And it can run as a Lightroom plugin.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

BetterLekNextTime posted:

Which printer? Canons come with Print Studio Pro. It manages all the icc profiles and printer set up better than Lightroom. And it can run as a Lightroom plugin.

It’s a Canon PIXMA. I didn’t think about just using their off-the-shelf software; maybe because I’m used to manufacturer software being not great. I’ll check it out.

Also, this is Lightroom CC, so no plugins.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dangerllama posted:

It’s a Canon PIXMA. I didn’t think about just using their off-the-shelf software; maybe because I’m used to manufacturer software being not great. I’ll check it out.

Also, this is Lightroom CC, so no plugins.

I'm not sure the workflow then, but I guess you can export a .tiff or .jpg from Lightroom then open it in Print Studio Pro. It's worth doublechecking that you can't access it directly from Lightroom. It's not really a plugin in the same way that the enhanced editing apps are.

File -> Plugin- Extras -> Canon Print Studio Pro

To be honest I can't remember how I got that to work the first time but I'm sure it's on the google.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Anybody know of a utility that will organize a photo library by color, and let me export it? ImageSorter does what I want, but has no way to update the metadata or filenames of the images to maintain the sort outside the application.

[Edit] It's like 1500 images. I want to take what ImageSorter has done below here...

... and turn it into changes to the files themselves, to maintain a sequential color-order in Explorer or Lightroom or wherever I'm looking at them.

ephori fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Jul 18, 2020

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

ephori posted:

Anybody know of a utility that will organize a photo library by color, and let me export it? ImageSorter does what I want, but has no way to update the metadata or filenames of the images to maintain the sort outside the application.

[Edit] It's like 1500 images. I want to take what ImageSorter has done below here...

... and turn it into changes to the files themselves, to maintain a sequential color-order in Explorer or Lightroom or wherever I'm looking at them.
Sounds like a simple enough task to write a Python script for. What's your comfort level with the terminal? I could probably write something up for you that does this if you can't find another tool.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

There's a number of photomosaic programs out there, that was all the rage in the late 1990s. Also there's a "write me a tiny app" thread if you're looking for something specific

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What's the best thing to use to lubricate tripod leg locks? I've got a Manfrotto Carbon Fiber with flip locks that sound like a mid-level demons tearing through the fabric of time and space whenever I open them. I've looked online and found some conflicting info or at least differences of opinion. Take the whole thing apart and clean but don't use lubricant? Graphite powder? White grease? WD-40?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

WD-40 is not a lubricant, never use it as such. Graphite powder is a good general purpose one that'll work independent of material and not grease up your bag. I'd just use a silicone based lubricant like Super Lube.

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

huhu posted:

Sounds like a simple enough task to write a Python script for. What's your comfort level with the terminal? I could probably write something up for you that does this if you can't find another tool.

Hey, I appreciate this -- I ended up working through a real hacky way and got it going. Thanks though!

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I guess I'm just double checking my self here, but is a Fuji Instax Mini better for just dorking around having fun with instant photos than Polaroid these days?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.
I found this video of a professional photographer using the upcoming Microsoft Flight Simulator as a scouting tool kind of interesting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ecueP1sVPU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been thinking of getting the game for exactly that reason. I've tried to use the google earth desktop app in the past for that purpose and it sorta works but only for really mountainous areas. The magic detail creation of this new flight sim is pretty badass.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
A relative's attic-cleaning has uncovered a shitload of old Ektachrome slides. These aren't African safari or Pacific island-hopping photos, they're just family snapshots which are probably entirely forgettable. Is there a cheap and acceptable way to scan these, ideally with a DSLR?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
Tripod, cheap macro tubes (or a macro lens, if you have one), and some kind of backlight source. Beware, if you use a tablet set to a white background—as I used to—you’ll have to elevate the slides away from the screen with a glass platform or something. Otherwise you’ll “scan” the pixels too. Half inch or so of separation should work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I have an Android phone and my wife has an iPhone 8. We're in the north woods of the UP and last night saw dozens of satellites, some meteors, and stars reflecting off the lake water (unfortunately, neighbors use dock lights so it's not as dark as I'd like)

How can I do long exposure on the phones to try to record the light? If we're lucky and don't get clouds we might even be able to see meteor shower later this week and Id love to memorialize it

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Search for any of the tons of manual camera apps. Almost any will let you sett for long exposure.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

torgeaux posted:

Search for any of the tons of manual camera apps. Almost any will let you sett for long exposure.

Frankly I tried that and got overwhelmed and couldn't figure it out when trying to do it on the fly, hence me being curious if there was a goto

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

mastershakeman posted:

Frankly I tried that and got overwhelmed and couldn't figure it out when trying to do it on the fly, hence me being curious if there was a goto

Sorry, no personal experience. Take a search for astrophography cell phone apps. They are used quite a bit.

https://photographingspace.com/smartphone-part-1/

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

torgeaux posted:

Sorry, no personal experience. Take a search for astrophography cell phone apps. They are used quite a bit.

https://photographingspace.com/smartphone-part-1/

Ok thanks! At the very least these are good search terms

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

mastershakeman posted:

Ok thanks! At the very least these are good search terms

If your Android supports the latest Google camera app the night mode will do astrophotography mode once it's pointed at the night sky and locked down like on a tripod.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Should lenses have a bit of a rattle in them when you shake them? I was in an incredibly violent car accident with most of my photo gear and some of it is very obviously damaged (my A7R III had the card door ripped off and the finish entirely rubbed off on 3 or 4 areas) but some of the lenses don't have much or maybe even any cosmetic damage but one or two of them if you give them a bit of a shake you can definitely hear something inside thunking around a bit.

I'm planning on submitting every single lens as damaged with the argument "This thing has 17 precisely aligned lens elements it is unlikely that they have remained precisely aligned while it was bouncing around the cab of an F-150 in an accident so violent that the F-150 is now a pretzel" but was wondering if anyone had any opinions or advice on this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
Some lenses rattle. You can probably google the lens + rattle to find out.