Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Grapplejack posted:

Germany/France certainly knew as well, they let them in and repeatedly let them pass the ECB's tests while they were a member of the EU.

The SPD government that allowed the Greeks into the Euro, against the explicit warnings of the Bundesbank, certainly is to blame as well and was subsequently voted out power.

rgocs posted:

That was also pointed out by the student though, so their assessment that "it didn't change the outcome" must have included that point too.

The Harvard Professor who wrote the paper apparently was calling it all a witch hunt from the left: http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2013/10/ken-rogoff-loses-it-calls-criticism-of-errors-in-debt-paper-a-witch-hunt.html This article also includes an interview he gave in Germany; that bit is in German (which I don't speak), but has comments in English.

In the German part Rogoff explicitly says that he it was not the Excel error but the personal conviction of the student that got them the changed outcome, which was than marketed by Keynsian economists as "lolz those people can't even use Excel of course you can go balls deep in debt" instead of the more accurate "if you change your assumptions regarding the data selection you get a different result that still shows a significant but decisively smaller negative influence of excessive debt on growth".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

Austerity was seen as good just because of a godamn excel error!?

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATT!? :psyboom:

I wouldn't say 'based on it', because after all there always going to be rightwingers trying to cut government spending when they get a chance. But the apparent justification for austerity policies provided to them by such eminent academic economists as Reinhart and Rogoff, as well as the 'Bocconi boys' was enormously rhetorically and politically useful. However, the role of the Greek crisis was at least as important as an argument in other countries that you couldn't mess up your government finances and get away with it.

The real problem with the Reinhart/Rogoff paper on debt levels (as it also was with the Alesina/Ardagna paper on 'expansionary austerity') was not that they were based on cherrypicked data, or even subject to coding errors, although they were . It was rather that they got the causality reversed. The conclusion to be drawn is not that you should start cutting spending in a period of high debt; instead, you should be trying to stimulate economic growth. Any country that's ever had a government debt of 90+ % of GDP (i.e. most participants in WWII for example) got rid of it by growing its GDP faster than its debt, not other way around.

Anyway, congrats and good job to the French in this thread who voted for a candidate they hate to keep the fascist out. Thanks!

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/bayrou/status/861471410878918656

"The labour code has to be rewritten. It weighs over two kilos and has over 2000 pages in it."

I knew it was coming but still: I'm already regretting not having abstained.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Kassad posted:

"The labour code has to be rewritten. It weighs over two kilos and has over 2000 pages in it."

That's... not a lot considering it's one of the books that has the most direct effect on the daily lives of literally every non-rich citizen for most of their adult lives.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Jerry Cotton posted:

That's... not a lot considering it's one of the books that has the most direct effect on the daily lives of literally every non-rich citizen for most of their adult lives.

It's also only true if you include legal commentaries and jurisprudence, I hear. But: facts don't matter here, only the narrative they want to push. And the narrative is that the 66% who voted Macron want this.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
It's the SPD-controlled Commerzbank and Deutsche Bank that are to blame for this!

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
the only large-ish cities Le Pen outright won are Calais (not really surprising, considering she won the department) and...Nouméa the capital of New Caledonia? Weird

tho she did good scores in some southern cities (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Perpignan) and northern ones (Calais, Dunkerque, Tourcoing)

Macron got 90% of the votes in Paris, wow

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Kurtofan posted:

all thanks to me

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Collateral Damage posted:

Well they do have first hand experience of what hyperinflation looks like.

i read an article a while ago that said this narrative was invented in the 1970s when the german central bank (under an SPD government, by the way, in many ways the SPD was the original Third Way traitor party, long before it was cool) was one of the first and staunchest pushers of hard money policy to justify it. nobody ever mentioned it before then

Grapplejack posted:

They've got good reason not to, as an export heavy, industrial nation. Any inflation within the Euro would impact the German economy more severely than the rest of the Eurozone.

The German economy could probably stand some inflation actually, it's similar demographically and economically to Japan and domestic demand can't be particularly healthy. Oh well, I guess they have semi-colonial European periphery states to substitute

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Collateral Damage posted:

Well they do have first hand experience of what hyperinflation looks like.

Yep, it results in a Heinrich Brüning who pushes austerity to the point of deflation, and that deflation then results in a Hitler.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

the only large-ish cities Le Pen outright won are Calais (not really surprising, considering she won the department) and...Nouméa the capital of New Caledonia? Weird

tho she did good scores in some southern cities (Nice, Cannes, Antibes, Perpignan) and northern ones (Calais, Dunkerque, Tourcoing)

I associate the Nouméa and the Corsica vote with some independentist voting for her hoping she would crash France. She also did extremely well in department with 30+% abstention and high blank votes. She did 50+% in my department, Legislatives are going to be crazy as gently caress. I miss Dosiere already.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 10:59 on May 8, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

GaussianCopula posted:

Greece literally had to fake data and pay Goldman-Sachs to help them with that to even get into the Euro. You can't tell me that the Greeks did not know that what they were doing was against the rules at the time.

It takes two to tango, why don't you hold Goldman Sachs responsible? They should be made to pay half of the bill.

Kassad posted:

gently caress you Bayrou, you idiotic bastard with these dishonest statistics. Most of the book isn't actual law, but jurisprudence examples showing how it has been interpreted in the past.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 11:32 on May 8, 2017

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

YF-23 posted:

Other countries aren't real places with real problems, they are only fantasy dreamlands for American liberals and conservatives to project their reveries of making things great again and Russian conspiracies trying to subvert American "western" democracy.

Americans :argh:

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

This but unironically.

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011
Has GaussianCopula come up with a "good" rebuttal for the labor theory of value yet?

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

GaussianCopula posted:

Inflation above the ECB target of close to but under 2% is very bad and has to be fought with fire.

Counterpoint: No it isn't, stop lighting us on fire.

icantfindaname posted:

i read an article a while ago that said this narrative was invented in the 1970s when the german central bank (under an SPD government, by the way, in many ways the SPD was the original Third Way traitor party, long before it was cool) was one of the first and staunchest pushers of hard money policy to justify it. nobody ever mentioned it before then

The SPD killed Liebknecht and Luxemburg. They were the traitor party long, long before it was cool.

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:42 on May 8, 2017

lost in postation
Aug 14, 2009

Fiction posted:

Has GaussianCopula come up with a "good" rebuttal for the labor theory of value yet?

Something something labour-intensive industries are not the most profitable, at a guess.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Cross posting
https://twitter.com/insoniascarvao/status/861555172199235585

Geriatric Pirate
Apr 25, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pluskut Tukker posted:

I wouldn't say 'based on it', because after all there always going to be rightwingers trying to cut government spending when they get a chance. But the apparent justification for austerity policies provided to them by such eminent academic economists as Reinhart and Rogoff, as well as the 'Bocconi boys' was enormously rhetorically and politically useful. However, the role of the Greek crisis was at least as important as an argument in other countries that you couldn't mess up your government finances and get away with it.

The real problem with the Reinhart/Rogoff paper on debt levels (as it also was with the Alesina/Ardagna paper on 'expansionary austerity') was not that they were based on cherrypicked data, or even subject to coding errors, although they were . It was rather that they got the causality reversed. The conclusion to be drawn is not that you should start cutting spending in a period of high debt; instead, you should be trying to stimulate economic growth. Any country that's ever had a government debt of 90+ % of GDP (i.e. most participants in WWII for example) got rid of it by growing its GDP faster than its debt, not other way around.

Anyway, congrats and good job to the French in this thread who voted for a candidate they hate to keep the fascist out. Thanks!

That's not "the conclusion" to draw from anything. All of these studies are flawed in some way because they don't account for the endogeneity of government spending and economic growth w.r.t the debt level. And while there are some papers that try (i.e. some extension to the Alesina paper which looked at "unexpected revenue shocks"), there is hardly ever going to be a clean consensus based on empirical work, meaning that we should rely on theory or at least structural work. Empirical correlations are quite useless. I'm struggling to think of why the thing you linked would be any better for causality than what R-R showed. For instance if we accept that high debt levels are negatively correlated with prior GDP changes, then wouldn't a simple business cycle (or stimulus) explanation suggest that future GDP growth will be positively correlated with the debt that has been accumulated? I mean that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many things you can come up with.

And WWII? Come on.

Fiction posted:

There are people who still talk about the labor theory of value (outside of "interesting idea Marx came up with, since then obsolete")? lol

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

Geriatric Pirate posted:

There are people who still talk about the labor theory of value (outside of "interesting idea Marx came up with, since then obsolete")? lol

What's obsolete about it? It can easily be applied to global capitalism by using it to explain why so much work is being outsourced.

Pluskut Tukker
May 20, 2012

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That's not "the conclusion" to draw from anything. All of these studies are flawed in some way because they don't account for the endogeneity of government spending and economic growth w.r.t the debt level. And while there are some papers that try (i.e. some extension to the Alesina paper which looked at "unexpected revenue shocks"), there is hardly ever going to be a clean consensus based on empirical work, meaning that we should rely on theory or at least structural work. Empirical correlations are quite useless. I'm struggling to think of why the thing you linked would be any better for causality than what R-R showed. For instance if we accept that high debt levels are negatively correlated with prior GDP changes, then wouldn't a simple business cycle (or stimulus) explanation suggest that future GDP growth will be positively correlated with the deb that has been accumulated? I mean that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many things you can come up with.

And WWII? Come on.

I will cop to being a bit lazy about selecting the link to support my argument here; it's just that most people I used to follow in the economics debate would link to Felix Salmon all the time so he has credibility to me and I should have linked to something like this instead (or maybe this on R&R); probably could have put a bit more care into formulating the argument too, but it's not as if putting a lot of effort into your posts in this thread by making sure they have the appropriate citations to the literature is usually a rewarding experience. I will also accept your argument that there are so many contingencies in economics that formulating general rules require stronger foundations. However, we're talking about Europe here so that's where the argument applies, we've had a few years to essentially test out Alesina/Ardagna's and Reinhart/ Rogoff's ideas here , and all I can say to them by now is Mene mene tekel ufarsin.

Pluskut Tukker fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 8, 2017

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I think anyone understands that keeping your debt relatively low is a good idea, it's just that austerity plans are usually thinly veiled excuses to destroy welfare and public services. Rather than build a buffer when the economy is growing and using it in downturns to absorb it, politicians tend to use it immediately to score for their electorate. In a political system where no politician is certain of ruling for more than 4-5 years at a time, and thus are under a lot of pressure to 'score' for their electorate, how do you expect them to have long term vision? Isn't it convenient that whenever governments slash spending in bad times, they never bring those services back when the economy is strong again? No wonder policy is reactionary and myopic. Lobbying from multinationals doesn't help matters either, to put it mildly.

Policy based on short term gains and greed will always shaft the weakest members of society.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Geriatric Pirate posted:

That's not "the conclusion" to draw from anything. All of these studies are flawed in some way because they don't account for the endogeneity of government spending and economic growth w.r.t the debt level. And while there are some papers that try (i.e. some extension to the Alesina paper which looked at "unexpected revenue shocks"), there is hardly ever going to be a clean consensus based on empirical work, meaning that we should rely on theory or at least structural work. Empirical correlations are quite useless. I'm struggling to think of why the thing you linked would be any better for causality than what R-R showed. For instance if we accept that high debt levels are negatively correlated with prior GDP changes, then wouldn't a simple business cycle (or stimulus) explanation suggest that future GDP growth will be positively correlated with the debt that has been accumulated? I mean that's just off the top of my head, I'm sure there are many things you can come up with.

And WWII? Come on.

Well,since labour theory was not,in fact, invented by Marx there are people that still talk about it . And if your counterfactual is subjectivist theory then,as you so clearly put it,"lol".

I Love that leftist economists are stupidly Blind to the reality of human nature,and rightist economist are stupidly oblivious to the reality of math,facts and well ...reality. it really puts my shortcomings in so much better light.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Fiction posted:

What's obsolete about it? It can easily be applied to global capitalism by using it to explain why so much work is being outsourced.

The current model adopted by society is that value is produced by ownership, which is why being a rentier brings you more income and less taxes than being a producer. It's also why the reach of intellectual property is constantly increased (copyright terms are extended, genome can now be patented, and so on). There is absolutely no value for society in rewarding those who do productive work; on the other hand there is a lot of value for society in being rich and buying stuff that is already profitable.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Germanys taking in refugees because it knows that its a 10 year return on investment. These people will be a consumer market in 10 years.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

LeoMarr posted:

Germanys taking in refugees because it knows that its a 10 year return on investment. These people will be a consumer market in 10 years.

also, there are smart people in germany who immediately recognized the opportunity for refugees to revitalize dead towns in germany:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7a1O3yRDdE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QILiBp19Yps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9Fwjv292qI

https://www.pri.org/stories/2017-01-10/worried-about-its-future-former-east-german-city-recruited-syrian-refugees

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2015/9/8/against-anti-immigrant-sentiment-small-town-mayor-welcomes-in-refugees.html

Really Germany is building a strong future for itself economically and transforming into a european America, good on them.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Al-Saqr posted:

transforming into a european America

Oh come the gently caress on. That's just mean.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Al-Saqr posted:

Transforming into a european America

Those lucky germans

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

I mean I guess you can look at Dearborn Michigan as a example that can be emulated maybe so not all examples from America are bad.I was gonna say flint too but that's more a example of how you kill your minorities.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
https://twitter.com/cestrosi/status/861639137027399680

Christian Estrosi is resigning as president of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, effective next week. People are speculating he was offered a cabinet position. If you're unfamiliar with the man: he's a Sarkozy-level right-wing rear end in a top hat.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Seems like I missed Macron's victory show at the Louvre

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

LeoMarr posted:

Hmmm, how does this happen? I'm not saying it doesn't, but this argument has been used by the Nordic left since forever but this scenario never materializes so I tend not to believe it. "Migrants are not an economic burden! Don't worry!" Unfortunately, I wish it did work like that, but the following scenario is what is going on in here:

Most of the people who come from the countries the refugees come from will live supported by benefits for most of their lives. They will never find work. Those who find a job take that yep 10 years or so to find work, I can understand why someone says this. (Which is not many, the employment rates for Somalis/Iraqis here in Finland is 15% +/- altough they have been here for quite a while , in most North/West European countries the employment rate for the natives hovers at 60-70% for work age populations.) Their kids do awfully in school and tend to succeed as well as their parents all in all, which is quite typical for most populations in the West. If your parents live on welfare checks, it is hihgly likely you will too.

So how does it work in Germany? Why is Germany different? I think a lot of countries would be interested in adopting their policies if they are übersuccesfull unlike everyone else.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kassad posted:

Christian Estrosi is resigning as president of the Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur region, effective next week. People are speculating he was offered a cabinet position. If you're unfamiliar with the man: he's a Sarkozy-level right-wing rear end in a top hat.

i can see interior ministry

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Ligur posted:

Hmmm, how does this happen? I'm not saying it doesn't, but this argument has been used by the Nordic left since forever but this scenario never materializes so I tend not to believe it. "Migrants are not an economic burden! Don't worry!" Unfortunately, I wish it did work like that, but the following scenario is what is going on in here:

Most of the people who come from the countries the refugees come from will live supported by benefits for most of their lives. They will never find work. Those who find a job take that yep 10 years or so to find work, I can understand why someone says this. (Which is not many, the employment rates for Somalis/Iraqis here in Finland is 15% +/- altough they have been here for quite a while , in most North/West European countries the employment rate for the natives hovers at 60-70% for work age populations.) Their kids do awfully in school and tend to succeed as well as their parents all in all, which is quite typical for most populations in the West. If your parents live on welfare checks, it is hihgly likely you will too.

So how does it work in Germany? Why is Germany different? I think a lot of countries would be interested in adopting their policies if they are übersuccesfull unlike everyone else.

How about you gently caress off, you nazi oval office?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

TheRat posted:

Sadly Europol seems to tolerate these sorts much more than UKMT.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Kassad posted:

let the reaping of the welfare state begin :cthulhu:

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

TheRat posted:

Did this guy just post ~numbers~ :ohdear:

Ligur
Sep 6, 2000

by Lowtax

TheRat posted:

What was nazi oval office about my question? Yelling "gently caress off oval office" doesn't convince as a retort in a debate forum.

Again, what causes you to make the claim you did?

I would prefer it to be true, too.

Pinch Me Im Meming
Jun 26, 2005

forkboy84 posted:

Sadly Europol seems to tolerate these sorts much more than UKMT.

OTOH, pissflaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Ligur posted:

You have trouble getting a job that'll cover your unavoidable expenses if you're an extremely normal Finnish dude with a respected education right now, and the economy has been kinda lovely like that since the 90's. The refugees don't ever get work because prejudice and the lovely job situation combine toward any possible position having lighter-skinned applicants in the line before them. Keskusta and Kokoomus both like the trampling of workers' rights so they don't dare demand adequate pay, so that adds to the problem.

Meanwhile their kids get pushed around in school to chants of "friend of the family" while, if they by some miracle can emotionally handle that enough to graduate, they face the same goddamn job situation.

Their failure to integrate isn't difficult to explain, yours is. Get the gently caress out of my country you loving nazi. Move to Siberia, it has plenty of space for you to be horrible without anyone hearing you.