Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Huh....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E4: what a strange episode. It's so utterly inconsequential to anything and so different in tone to the show so far. It hardly feels like Twin Peaks at all, more like someone's slightly inept knockoff. Weird considering that Frost, Harley Peyton and Robert Engels all got writing credits, but then again it's also the only credit in the show to fourth writer Jerry Stahl and director Todd Holland.

Did anyone fall for Mr. Tojamura back in the day? Were you even supposed to?

James isn't even in this one. But I think we need some time apart.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
He tricked me the first time, I figured it was just one of Josie's gangster buddies that was only pretending to be a caricature

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I recently rewatched seasons 1 & 2 and of course then 3 I guess, with someone who'd never seen any Twin Peaks and Mr T. fooled him 100%. No my buddy has a fantastic sense of humor so I had to literally ask him if he was loving with me or not and he said he wasn't, he had no idea that was really Katherine.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I read something that said it was a HUGE secret, even on-set. Apparently Jack Nance didn't even figure it out.

Typing this out I can't believe it's true but I'm pretty sure I read it.

I didn't figure it out. My girlfriend IMMEDIATELY noticed.

Of course, I watched those garbage xvid rips 12 years ago, she watched in HD on our TV.

The Walrus fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Feb 12, 2018

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/actors/piper-laurie-autobiography-twin-peaks/

"You should probably be a businessman. I want you to decide what kind of businessman you would like to be. Maybe a Frenchman or a Mexican. Think about it for a while and let me know"

"I constantly improvised conversations with Derick, my so-called assistant-interpreter on the set; I spoke fake Japanese in a very low voice, and Derick responded in real Japanese. Every time the poor director directed me, I caused a five-minute delay while my assistant and I thrashed things out. I would instruct Derick to say to the director, on my behalf, things such as “This is not the way Kurosawa works!”

"The regular cast on the set bought the act at first. They were a little intimidated initially by the strange foreigner and were told to be very respectful to me. Jack Nance, the innocent, who played my husband on the show, went to David and Mark at the end of the first day and said, “Boy … is that new actor weird!"

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

:aaaaa:

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
I really wish there was something as good as twin peaks, it touches me in all the right places. Except James in the first 2 seasons, gently caress you James, stop wasting my time.

I absolutely loved season 3 but I also liked Inland Empire so I'm a oval office.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
James constantly trying to get two girls when he can't really even get one owns

Donna sucked more in season 2 than james because she was being "bad"

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Well the background vocs don't harmonize right with just one.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Volte posted:

I understand how someone who has never seen Twin Peaks (or didn't get super into the mythology) would think FWWM is a bad movie. The structure is more like a mid-season episode of season 3 than any movie most people have seen, and it doesn't exactly set up any aspect of the story or any of the characters, so without the context of the series, it could seem like just a bunch of random weird poo poo happening to a bunch of unfamiliar characters.

Weirdly enough it was released in Japan before the show proper was, and they loved it

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
did japan love season 3?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Baloogan posted:

did japan love season 3?

I'd love to see the A-bomb themed coffee commercials they must have made.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

This is so cool. How did no one notice this!? And I include me in there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Not only that, but I'm now 95% certain (thanks to comments on that reddit post) that that scene also is where the gramophone "listen to the sounds" audio is from:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMuzMU2u04o

It's faint in this video but compare her unlocking the diary to the gramophone sound, I SWEAR it's the same

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Escobarbarian posted:

Not only that, but I'm now 95% certain (thanks to comments on that reddit post) that that scene also is where the gramophone "listen to the sounds" audio is from:

It's faint in this video but compare her unlocking the diary to the gramophone sound, I SWEAR it's the same

There is a similar post attempting to link the sound to Dougie pulling the lever of the one-armed bandit on there. It just seems very farfetched to base all of this on the basic rhythm pattern of a sound alone. For example, what does any of this have to do with Judy or Sarah Palmer?

For that matter, why is the "Meanwhile" gesture linked to Laura getting the key to open her diary?

edit: Here is also why I think that Lynch doesn't intend people to reverse-engineer the sound effects just to make sense of it all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oI1eeIb-qlU

Knowing what this specific sound is makes the scene less weird and creepy. It's something that only sounds interesting when you listen to it normally.

And More fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 14, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can’t speak to the sound, but I believe that diary was also where she was storing her coke, so I reckon Lynch decided during FWWM to tie it in that way somehow

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I remember reading a suggestion that it was a Buddhist hand symbol meaning "fear not", which makes a gigantic wad of sense unless it's entirely false.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Escobarbarian posted:

I just isolated and lined up the gramophone sound and the diary unlock sound, and I'm still on the fence. It's probably nothing.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I remember reading a suggestion that it was a Buddhist hand symbol meaning "fear not", which makes a gigantic wad of sense unless it's entirely false.

Had a lil google and this appears to be true!

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

It's certainly a nice sign that the two things here are seconds a part from each other. Plus I've wondered for a few weeks now if the "official" and "unofficial" storylines are related to the Secret Diary of Laura Palmer and The Diary of Laura Palmer. Also The History of Twin Peaks and The Secret History of Twin Peaks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

S2E5: I don't feel that the Harold Smith storyline is one of the particular high points of Twin Peaks, on the whole. I can't even remember what they eventually find in the diary but if it's a red herring I'm gonna be mad. Still, it's no Back To School Nadine.

I almost feel like there are too many storylines going on as the writers try to give everyone from season 1 spotlight time.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The shittiness of Harold smith’s storyline is only rivaled by James’s.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i like when harold tries to eat the strawberry jam off the knife but misses his mouth

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I can't even really tell whether Harold is supposed to be seen as a victim or a dangerous psycho villain and it feels less like any intentional ambiguity than just a combination of haphazard writing and a cultural disconnect from the early 90s media context.

E6: finding it hard to care about any of these storylines anymore, although things pick up with the arrival of GORDON COLE. But seriously some of these scenes are more Invitation to Love than Invitation to Love itself. I'm not intentionally watching the whole series through that particular lens but if you were to make a lodge mythology focused Essential Cut I'm starting to think you could flat out skip most of S2.

Not the episode we're coming up on, though.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Harold Smith had major Anthony Perkins vibes and I figured that was by design to keep the viewer on edge

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
If Nadine and her golden shovel had been the hero in the climactic scene instead of garden glove English boy it would have been an amazing payoff to season two. And also some of the disconnected parts of season three.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I think on the recommendation from RLM's FWWM review I skipped the James on his own scenes entirely when I watched the show for the first time last year. Looked like he was fixing some ladies car and had an affair with her? Then her husband found out and got killed or something?

EDIT: I could try to actually watch those scenes when I do a re-watch but it seems literally no one has anything good to say about them.

iSheep fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Feb 15, 2018

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

iSheep posted:

I think on the recommendation from RLM's FWWM review I skipped the James on his own scenes entirely when I watched the show for the first time last year. Looked like he was fixing some ladies car and had an affair with her? Then her husband found out and got killed or something?

EDIT: I could try to actually watch those scenes when I do a re-watch but it seems literally no one has anything good to say about them.

It's much dumber than that.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
It's terrible and kinda funny. Don't skip twin peaks episodes imo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

BrainMeats posted:

If Nadine and her golden shovel had been the hero in the climactic scene instead of garden glove English boy it would have been an amazing payoff to season two. And also some of the disconnected parts of season three.
Can't say I disagree. Or garden glove man wielding the shovel, just to stick with a theme.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

iSheep posted:

I dont ever skip scenes but if I was to skip *anything* in the whole twin peaks, it would be those scenes for sure

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
They are a ton of fun to watch with someone who likes to groan and roll their eyes as much as you do.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

BrainMeats posted:

I thought for sure all hell was going to break loose in Twin Peaks, Dr. Jacoby would have his head crushed ala the radio guy in the 50s, and Nadine would save the day with the golden shovel. Instead we got a guy from youtube with a glove.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
My thoughts of Dr. Jacoby is that his radio broadcast repeating the same angry poem over the airwaves every night calls back to the woodsman from the 1950 segment talking over the radio putting everyone to sleep.

And it seems to be something that might be responsible for throwing Ben's brother into that surreal journey through the woods.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

E7.

Maybe we need all the Harold Smith and Nadine storylines so that when we've settled in and aren't expecting much, something like this episode can come along and really turn some heads. I'd love to see some contemporary reactions from back in the day. This truly feels like what David Lynch wanted Twin Peaks to be, and what he would make it into all those years later. Just look at the final sequence - we get the neon sign reflected in the puddle, we get Donna and James talking in a booth, we get lodge visions, and we get terrifying violence. This has to have been the Episode 8 of its time.

Equally, if not more, possible that Lynch just picked some visuals back up when he got into making S3, of course, but either way, it's so clearly the product of the same mind.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/alt.tv.twin-peaks

I think they label it as episode 2007 in most places there

Make sure to scroll to posts from the 90s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Watching Poltergiest 3 for the first time since I was a kid and...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GlVV_IACjg&t=85s

I'd like to believe that very scene got her cast in Twin Peaks. The characters are both named Donna, so I'm gonna say it's probable!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Feb 16, 2018