Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hey, at least jabber spies have to, like, change their IP and poo poo. Discord means that if your spy gets got, you just shrug, mailinator another discord account, and get back within an hour.

There's some :effort: into Jabber/Mumble spying for sure.

I do agree that discord would be a loving nightmare for more than 40 people in a channel.

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Imagine thinking security is only about being spied in a videogaem

Is there even competition for goons at this point? Can't you just roll a d20 for a region, show up, and slap anything that moves (or is anchored) with a massive titan cock?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
To be completely fair, many professionally run discord servers can hold a lot of voice members, in hundreds with decent quality and stability.
But again, discord, no cross-channels, no double presence like mumble has (local, shout, global)

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Mumble seems fine, the trouble is that pidgin/Jabber is a terrible interface and the community such as it is is horribly fragmented as a result. Is the Karmafleet discord open to goonwaffe folks?

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
Most active this thread has been since the war started and its about loving discord :downs:

RYYSZLA
May 11, 2013

Foehammer007 posted:

Most active this thread has been since the war started and its about loving discord :downs:

Eve wars 2013ish - Present, fought mostly out of game, as is tradition.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, I'll admit that it's pretty far fetched. You'd have to post stuff so flagrantly awful that just possessing the materials to post in the first place is in and of itself a crime. While essentially no well-adjusted people play Eve, the level of depravity to pull that kind of stunt is (mercifully) rare even among Eve players.

Still, it's a possibility. The counterintel stuff is the primary reason, I'd assume.

Honest the counter intel reason may have been valid at one point, but nowadays its a bad argument considering just how easy it is to put a spy char in any alliance.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Dalael posted:

Honest the counter intel reason may have been valid at one point, but nowadays its a bad argument considering just how easy it is to put a spy char in any alliance.

That's not how it works.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Dalael posted:

Sure, okay. We're still going to stay on Jabber. If somebody don't like it, too fuckin' bad.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Disclaimer: I have never played EvE at all. All EvE related info I have gotten entirely from 14+ years of EvE threads here.

Time for a blast from the past !
Fair warnings/tags: slurs, anime, drugs, SamHandwich, Wyvern, loud music, Rho Squad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WIq9CHEmY0

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MREBoy posted:

Disclaimer: I have never played EvE at all. All EvE related info I have gotten entirely from 14+ years of EvE threads here.

Fair warnings/tags: slurs, anime, drugs, SamHandwich, Wyvern, loud music, Rho Squad

Still disappointed that the person who had the goonfleet diplomacy primer has taken down that video so now it's lost to the sands of time.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !

CainFortea posted:

Still disappointed that the person who had the goonfleet diplomacy primer has taken down that video so now it's lost to the sands of time.

:shrug: :confused:

It's kind of wierd how in that I'm a file packrat & I posted a copy of that cool tapestry/Prophet Kartoon PDF and it got downloaded like 11,000 times, 99.78% of the refer headers were the then current EvE thread. Sort of like a digital archivist.

MREBoy fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 20, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Different video.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Velius posted:

Mumble seems fine, the trouble is that pidgin/Jabber is a terrible interface and the community such as it is is horribly fragmented as a result. Is the Karmafleet discord open to goonwaffe folks?

Karmafleet discord is only for karmafleet and friends of karmafleet, so leadership, cliques etc. I don't think people understand when people say they want a discord, its just somewhere for everyone to socially gather. Pings and important space discussion would still have to be on jabber. Like if capswarm stayed on jabber but elysium went to discord, that would be an undeniable improvement.
Mumble is definitely always going to be for fleets, but social chats, theta mumble etc would all be improved by discord.
Goon leadership is conservatively minded when it comes to this stuff, jabber and mumble has worked for so long, and is so established, its hard to let go. We used teamspeak 2 for so loving long its not funny.

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

CainFortea posted:

Was it this one? It's a re-upload.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_nDw1JQDk

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No, but it was about the same time and events. The one i'm thinking of has one of DBP's 17 page screeds on it.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account
After being gone for so long. I feel like a Newbee again. And in someway I'm saddened that the new people don't know certain events. Last night I called someone out on mumble for talking about age of consent. Called the guy BobFromMarketing and no one understood the reference :sad....

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

MREBoy posted:

ohgod this reeks 2006 (2008 but whateeeeveeeeeeeerrrrrr)

what a beautiful time it was

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jul 20, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Snail Information posted:

Karmafleet discord is only for karmafleet and friends of karmafleet, so leadership, cliques etc. I don't think people understand when people say they want a discord, its just somewhere for everyone to socially gather. Pings and important space discussion would still have to be on jabber. Like if capswarm stayed on jabber but elysium went to discord, that would be an undeniable improvement.
Mumble is definitely always going to be for fleets, but social chats, theta mumble etc would all be improved by discord.
Goon leadership is conservatively minded when it comes to this stuff, jabber and mumble has worked for so long, and is so established, its hard to let go. We used teamspeak 2 for so loving long its not funny.

I think this is similar across lots of businesses, and especially governments, both of which EVE groups tend to emulate, either by intent or accident. Once you get to a certain size, you try to avoid upsetting the apple cart for any reason.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Warmachine posted:

I think this is similar across lots of businesses, and especially governments, both of which EVE groups tend to emulate, either by intent or accident. Once you get to a certain size, you try to avoid upsetting the apple cart for any reason.

Not really. Ideally, ALL chat would happen on Jabber, as it's easier to monitor and more resilient to fuckery than a flash in the pan Web 2.duh pre-IPO money sink. We want the chat infrastructure to last decades. That being said, there are too many cats to herd perfectly, so they tend to be attracted to the Fortnite chat service for whatever reason.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Which is why idiots coming in and whining about "The Imperium" *eugh i hate that name* not using Discord for spaceimportant work is hilarious to me. poo poo ain't broke, don't fix it, especially to replace it with some poo poo like Discord.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Dalael posted:

That's not really how counter intel works, either in Eve or irl for that matter. It's often not about preventing someone from getting into something: it's about controlling what they see.

Here's a simple (and admittedly silly) example. Let's say we know Dalael is a Dirty TEST Spy. We know he's relaying information about market fuckery from gs_isk. So one day, without him knowing, every time someone types "Fernite Carbides" in gs_isk Dalael the Dirty TEST Spy sees "Tungsten Carbides". This message fuckery lasts for all of 6 hours. The TEST marketers make a bunch of bad trades and lose 50 billion ISK.

This would be just about impossible to pull off on Discord (at least without breaking some laws), but is relatively simple on an XMPP server we control. And good luck to Dalael the Dirty Spy to figure out what happened. Again, just one example, and I'm sure the Black Hand can think of far more nefarious things.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not really. Ideally, ALL chat would happen on Jabber, as it's easier to monitor and more resilient to fuckery than a flash in the pan Web 2.duh pre-IPO money sink. We want the chat infrastructure to last decades. That being said, there are too many cats to herd perfectly, so they tend to be attracted to the Fortnite chat service for whatever reason.

This is kinda what I mean. (That is I mean you're an example of conservative-minded goons being dumb and out of touch) "Discord is too new, too untested, its just a fad, why risk moving over all the social channels when discord might evaporate next week." (I just realised this wouldn't be read as obviously sarcastic) It's stupid and ironically short-sighted, discord is established for a while now and there are lots of big communities that operate there, almost as if it's designed for big communities. For space important business, stay on jabber for your spy poo poo, but the social side should be consolidated, and probably to discord. All the stuff above illum probably isn't even on jabber, its probably still on a skype chat or something stupid like that.

Snail Information fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 20, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

This is kinda what I mean. (That is I mean you're an example of conservative-minded goons being dumb and out of touch) "Discord is too new, too untested, its just a fad, why risk moving over all the social channels when discord might evaporate next week." (I just realised this wouldn't be read as obviously sarcastic) It's stupid and ironically short-sighted, discord is established for a while now and there are lots of big communities that operate there, almost as if it's designed for big communities. For space important business, stay on jabber for your spy poo poo, but the social side should be consolidated, and probably to discord. All the stuff above illum probably isn't even on jabber, its probably still on a skype chat or something stupid like that.

Ok Zoomer.

Non sarcastic answer, as stated up thread there are very real and very good reasons to put everything on Jabber. One of the neat things I was taught in real intel poo poo was that you can put damaging information together from a bunch of disparate information that may not be damaging on its own. Controlling what someone sees allows you to interrupt that OSINT capability by feeding them bad information.

People in social groups don't magically not post opsec poo poo in Discord, I'd wager that Karmafleet Discord is a great source of intel for spies, because you cannot control the information that a spy has access to (i.e. replacing "fernite carbide" with "tungsten carbide" in someone's jabber client, this could also be used to spoof move ops, and midpoints/staging information)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 20, 2020

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nah

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Read what I posted again.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
hey I'm still banned from delve.imperium in game let me (KoaTheCat) back in.

Also, coming from a complete novice to all things cooperative video games, the weird system you guys have set up works super well even though it has a steep learning curve and a bunch of old software

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Ynglaur posted:

That's not really how counter intel works, either in Eve or irl for that matter. It's often not about preventing someone from getting into something: it's about controlling what they see.

Here's a simple (and admittedly silly) example. Let's say we know Dalael is a Dirty TEST Spy. We know he's relaying information about market fuckery from gs_isk. So one day, without him knowing, every time someone types "Fernite Carbides" in gs_isk Dalael the Dirty TEST Spy sees "Tungsten Carbides". This message fuckery lasts for all of 6 hours. The TEST marketers make a bunch of bad trades and lose 50 billion ISK.

This would be just about impossible to pull off on Discord (at least without breaking some laws), but is relatively simple on an XMPP server we control. And good luck to Dalael the Dirty Spy to figure out what happened. Again, just one example, and I'm sure the Black Hand can think of far more nefarious things.

Oooh... That's cool. That's something i had no idea about.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
just be social here on the something awful forums like a normal goon

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Dalael posted:

Oooh... That's cool. That's something i had no idea about.

Yeah you can do neat serverside filtering of words by IP address, so if you have a suspected spy and you pull their IP from the server log, you can then basically filter/replace what they see in their Jabber client so that they're breathlessly reporting back bullshit intel to their buddies.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

It also makes it much easier to use a barium enema (basically : see who reports incorrect intel . Bam, there's your spy.)

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

Stereotype posted:

just be social here on the something awful forums like a normal goon

:cheers:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

orange juche posted:

People in social groups don't magically not post opsec poo poo in Discord, I'd wager that Karmafleet Discord is a great source of intel for spies, because you cannot control the information that a spy has access to (i.e. replacing "fernite carbide" with "tungsten carbide" in someone's jabber client, this could also be used to spoof move ops, and midpoints/staging information)

You know you can correlate whatever 'intel' you've intercepted about a move op with the in-game map, right? (and previously with the contact list, :rip:) You can then later verify whatever system whomever you're spying on went to by simply checking DOTLAN, being secret squirrel about MoveOps is usually a waste of time.

Anyone well versed in capitals will have a pretty good idea where you're going anyway. Not that there are many people actually equipped to intercept a moveop without taking huge losses themselves, factoring in Citadels it's mostly just a waste of time to even bother trying to mess with a larger alliance who's going to goonroad their way from a-to-b anyway.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Jul 21, 2020

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

It also makes it much easier to use a barium enema (basically : see who reports incorrect intel . Bam, there's your spy.)

I thought barium for X-rays is administered orally. I'm not a doctor though.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

orange juche posted:

Depends on anatomy of interest/severity

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
who here knows the secret ~true goon~ in game channel

lifetime supply of Pocky
Aug 19, 2003

Xolve posted:

Depends on anatomy of interest/severity
yep

barium meal is in the face butt

barium enema is in the south butt

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

orange juche posted:

I'll admit I picked up the term from reading Red Sparrow. I am not in intel irl. Fun book, btw.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I'll admit I picked up the term from reading Red Sparrow. I am not in intel irl. Fun book, btw.

Its neat to see how real life CI tricks work in EVE too. I didn't even catch on to the idea of dropping poo poo intel to a suspected spy and them seeing if it leaks as confirmation, that's smart, and it's also IIRC how I think some aerospace companies combated IP theft of their aircraft designs in recent decades.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Jul 21, 2020

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Some neckbeards on /r/eve are saying CVA is disbanding, anyone hear any more about this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
It always rubbed me the wrong way that it was the space catholic slaver roleplaying alliance was basically the only RP group that held space, so good riddance if true