Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

MrChips posted:

No kidding, the E-Class Merc is the Crown Vic of Europe, from what I can tell.

I would still love to get some of the "plain" offerings here though. Cloth seats would be nice, for one. Sure they wear badly and they hold stains, but have you ever sat on a leather seat at -30? Not for the faint of heart.

Cloth seats are so much better for track/autoX stuff too. I like my e36 m3 vaders, but the alcantara seats in my old ZHP were just so much better for holding you in place. The funny part is cloth stuff demands an absurd premium in NA, hurricane vader interiors can easily fetch 2k. Perforated e46 m3 cloth seats sell for close to 4k.

I just hate leather in general. Yeah, it's easy to clean but it sucks in both hot and cold. It's slippery, and the softer leather used in the upscale/M cars wears badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I could have sworn there were E38 740i Sport's trolling about in 1998-1999 or so with MT's. Not many but a few.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
My girlfriend hates my leather seats for the temperature reasons already described, but I think they're great. It was probably everything else about the car, but the last car I had, had cloth seats and I dunno, there's something about sitting in a seat for loooong drives (all drat day, I mean) that cloth seats just give me more discomfort than leather.

My sister's Saturn has heated (leather) seats - the first winter after she bought it, she told me she would never again own a car that lacked this feature.

As for transmissions, the rule I gleaned from this forum regarding Ze Germans is:
BMW - very good manual, occassional weird automatics (iDrive is something I've never met in person, but I've seen mixed reviews)
Mercedes - excellent automatics, nothing special about the manuals so might as well get the auto.
Audi / VW - I've heard nothing either way, actually
Porsche - FLAPPY PADDLES :supaburn:

With exceptions, obviously.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
VW/Audi... the other German car makers continue to ignore them.

televiper
Feb 12, 2007
Porsche's PDK is pretty fantastic, and I say that as a person who vowed never to own an automatic as long as I have two working legs.

televiper fucked around with this message at 07:43 on May 2, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Would buying my e36 back and parting the m50 and 5speed be worth my time? Rear hit, the radiator and such ate it up front when I knocked the lady in front of me but I am suspecting drivetrain is solid. There's an M3 LSD back there, too.

I don't know how to deal with junked cars, tow it home, yank the drivetrain and sell, then call scrappers?

I don't want to piss off my neighbors TOO bad but if I can buy it back for a couple hundo and sell engine/trans for a bit more, that'd be cool. Just not sure how to go about it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I just got my oil changed and now the computer is saying 21000 miles until the next change is needed. Is that normal? It's always been 15000 the other times.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
I must have brain damage, I'm going to look at this as a DD: http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-318is-Coupe-E30-W0QQAdIdZ480053442

I figure if I can get it for mid 2000s it'd be alright. If the paint really is toast I'd like to take a shot at plastidipping a car I don't care about.

Jonny 290 posted:

Would buying my e36 back and parting the m50 and 5speed be worth my time? Rear hit, the radiator and such ate it up front when I knocked the lady in front of me but I am suspecting drivetrain is solid. There's an M3 LSD back there, too.

I don't know how to deal with junked cars, tow it home, yank the drivetrain and sell, then call scrappers?

I don't want to piss off my neighbors TOO bad but if I can buy it back for a couple hundo and sell engine/trans for a bit more, that'd be cool. Just not sure how to go about it.

M50 might get you 400 if you're lucky, with m52 obd2 swaps feasible there isn't really much demand m50s these days. Might get 200 for the trans, 200 for the LSD? E36 stuff is so common these days its hard to get decent money out of them. I've had friends make money off e36 parts cars they picked up but they dismantled the entire car and had to deal with people showing up for 10 dollar trim pieces.

And if you don't have access to an engine hoist that would cut into your profit. Any scrap company can haul away a car, but if its not a roller expect them to drag it across whatever it sits on.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 16:34 on May 2, 2013

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah, I don't want to go hog wild nickel and diming and having the neighbors call city code enforcement on me for running a scrapyard out of my home.

Those numbers are lower than I expected but thanks for being honest. it sounds like it's really not worth it, especially since i'd have to be honest with an engine buyer and say that it needs a new vanos solenoid. And I'd have to grab a hoist etc and deal with spousal stress over the whole thing....

I'll see if i can hit the yard and maybe pry off her roundel for a souvenir or something.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'd only bother taking the differential and axles out. Dollar to effort ratio is much better than the engine or transmission.

I think the c101 plug (might have that wrong) is usually in high demand for those who are swapping m5x motors into e30s and it is easy to cut out.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Crustashio posted:

Cloth seats are so much better for track/autoX stuff too. I like my e36 m3 vaders, but the alcantara seats in my old ZHP were just so much better for holding you in place. The funny part is cloth stuff demands an absurd premium in NA, hurricane vader interiors can easily fetch 2k. Perforated e46 m3 cloth seats sell for close to 4k.

I just hate leather in general. Yeah, it's easy to clean but it sucks in both hot and cold. It's slippery, and the softer leather used in the upscale/M cars wears badly.

How or where are you even finding the cloth seats?

Is it even possible to get a Beamer with cloth seats in the US? Apart from re-upholstering yourself.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

How or where are you even finding the cloth seats?

Is it even possible to get a Beamer with cloth seats in the US? Apart from re-upholstering yourself.

Yep, the 1, 3, and 5 series all have standard cloth seats. Not sure about the 7. The X1, X3, and X5 probably also have cloth seats for the base model.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Jealous Cow posted:

Yep, the 1, 3, and 5 series all have standard cloth seats. Not sure about the 7. The X1, X3, and X5 probably also have cloth seats for the base model.

In the US all standard seats in everything except the 6/7 series are leatherette. No cloth at all.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 21:14 on May 2, 2013

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Guinness posted:

In the US all standard seats in everything except the 6/7 series are leatherette. No cloth at all.

Not the M3 :j:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
Lots of e30s and e36s had cloth seats, including sport seats. There were also a very small amount of NA spec e36 M3s with alcantara vaders. Then they kinda disappeared except for special models (ZHP, M3, etc). I know you can get e9x m3s with cloth sport seats.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crustashio posted:

Lots of e30s and e36s had cloth seats, including sport seats. There were also a very small amount of NA spec e36 M3s with alcantara vaders. Then they kinda disappeared except for special models (ZHP, M3, etc). I know you can get e9x m3s with cloth sport seats.

They're actually manual cloth sport-seats, upgrading to leather is $1400+ or included in premium.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Our victim's been seen by the adjuster.

Total has been declared; however no numbers yet because:

a:Electrical's dead due to battery hit, and the wrecker guy wasn't there - no jump, no odometer
b:They can't find a manual E36 sedan for sale in the lower 48.

They're going back with a battery pack in the morning to get odo no matter what, but where do we go from here? If they can't find numbers, how do we settle on something?

All of this smells like Reasonably Decent Sum to me, but this is my first rodeo, so I don't know much admittedly.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Crustashio posted:

I must have brain damage, I'm going to look at this as a DD: http://novascotia.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1991-BMW-3-Series-318is-Coupe-E30-W0QQAdIdZ480053442

I figure if I can get it for mid 2000s it'd be alright. If the paint really is toast I'd like to take a shot at plastidipping a car I don't care about.
The Stanceworks sticker and the goofy wheels are a concern, but if you can get it for cheap why not? As you say, a shot at plastidipping an entire car is useful.

Jonny 290 posted:

b:They can't find a manual E36 sedan for sale in the lower 48.
What? That makes no sense to me.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It sounds weird, but I can't find any for sale on the more popular aggregators/search engines either. Not one moved on ebay motors in the last 90 days (or i might be bad at ebay search which is equally likely)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ExecuDork posted:

The Stanceworks sticker and the goofy wheels are a concern, but if you can get it for cheap why not? As you say, a shot at plastidipping an entire car is useful.

What? That makes no sense to me.

Seriously.

88 Manual E36 Sedans on Cars.com.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh wow, thanks. Much, much better.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Got my shifter bits today! :) :) :) As well as one of these

also a good day to put the windows down and the sunroof back.

aaaand I filled up for the first time since I changed the injectors... 24mpg!

Moxie Omen fucked around with this message at 02:32 on May 3, 2013

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Looking studly :quagmire:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

aaaand I filled up for the first time since I changed the injectors... 24mpg!

Which steering wheel do you have? Looking to get one for E30 lemons car. 24mpg sounds about right!

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.

Moxie Omen posted:

Got my shifter bits today! :) :) :) As well as one of these

ZHP knob is the best knob. I almost regretted that I had to separate my original M-sport knob from the boot, but the ZHP knob feels so much nicer in hand.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Putting a ZHP knob in my 330 was the best $60 I've ever spent on an automobile. It really is the best knob.

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

Lightbulb Out posted:

Which steering wheel do you have? Looking to get one for E30 lemons car. 24mpg sounds about right!

350mm diameter Momo Monte Carlo. So far I like it a lot better than the MTech1 I have in my other E30.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Moxie Omen posted:

350mm diameter Momo Monte Carlo. So far I like it a lot better than the MTech1 I have in my other E30.

Yeah, the Mtech1s seem a little larger circumference. My dad has an '87 325is with Mtech1, and he was oogling my Mtech2.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

Putting a ZHP knob in my 330 was the best $60 I've ever spent on an automobile. It really is the best knob.

Hell yes, the stock shifters are so drat tall and goofy. I put one on my E46 330 right away (and wrapped the wood paneling)

BMW was even nice enough to include them on the current F10 535 as well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
...covering up woodgrain? I know not of these words you speak.

I guess it makes more sense on the newer models, eh?

Moxie Omen
Mar 15, 2008

I have blue leather/wood grain in the E34 :( I'd love to rip that all out and replace it with black sport.

Billy Zane
Jun 24, 2003

Listen to your friend Billy Zane. He's a cool dude.
ZHP knob chat

Before

After

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Jonny 290 posted:

...covering up woodgrain? I know not of these words you speak.

I guess it makes more sense on the newer models, eh?

Yeah, here is when I picked it up in late 2005. Meh.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Just got back from looking at that silver 2000 740iL. Didn't drive because The Main Guy wasn't in.

What I know from talking to them:
Trans is a used replacement done by the dealership
clutch fan blew and made a tiny dent in hood (totally PDRable, or a new hood, big whoop)
All front end suspension rubber is fresh

What I saw on my walk-around:
Looks sharp. Paint is all original, as is glass. Dash had zero dead pixels, and the cupholder was intact. I hear these failures are common. Engine bay was clean, and well maintained.

Going to try to go back Mon/Tues to talk with the manager and take it for a drive.

I am going to make sure to ask about:

-Valley pan
-Timing chain guides
-Cats
-Oil pump bolts

If these aren't done, I will make attention to them a condition of the sale. If I'm going to pay a premium for not buying private party, I might as well leverage his shop to put a shine on this thing and forstall the known biggies.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I wouldn't say that the the hood is "no big deal" to replace.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Really? I suppose lining it up would be kind of troublesome, but I'm not scared of buying an insurance-quality silver hood off of car-part and putting it on myself, unless there's some weird poo poo I don't know about. I priced them already, not unreasonable to me, it's a big hood for a fancy car. At any rate, I forgot to look for the dent and it didn't catch my attention, but it's in my little things-to-check notebook for next week.

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

Keyser S0ze posted:

Yeah, here is when I picked it up in late 2005. Meh.

Was your wood trim cracked? My trim pieces are cracked, so I'm thinking of wrapping them to make them look nicer.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
I just looked at a pretty cheap (for Seattle) 2002 and I'm torn.

On the pro side it's mechanicals are pretty darn good and it was a blast to drive.

On the con side it's got the common rust problems. Fender tops (by blinkers), floor pans, shock towers, spare tire well... you get the picture. If I get it, I have to be ready to weld, which I can do "ok".

I don't know, what do you guys think? Is the shock tower repair a huge PITA on these things?

Here is the ad for reference:
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3774021878.html

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Viper_3000 posted:

Was your wood trim cracked? My trim pieces are cracked, so I'm thinking of wrapping them to make them look nicer.

Nope, just wanted to update it mostly to keep myself entertained. The trim just pops right off and the carbon "fabric" is really easy to put on with just some 3M spray adhesive. The only tricky part is around the shifter and window switches. There are DIY's on Bimmerfest and E46fanatics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Metal cube trim loving rules. I have had people get in my ZHP and look around confused, then go "oh, theres no wood trim!" :haw: