Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

Wrong, anime is actually the French word for Japan.

Having studied etymology, I would not put this past the French.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shachi
Nov 1, 2004

I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food.
Thanks for the write up's. I kind of get what's being said and I guess I haven't been affected because it has probably been 10 years since I've played any of the FF games....not counting on tooling around with VI on my phone when I'm bored.

Maybe this is sacrilege to ask but I've had this craving for dystopian/cyberpunk?/weeaboo games. Any others that you all would recommend? I've pretty missed out on the last 10 years of JRPG's. Never played any of the Star Oceans/Tales/Xeno games. I know all the old classics but preferably some stuff that's been recent...with voice acting. I include this because my wife likes to watch me play games and an RPG with text is pretty much a slog for anyone around to see you play it.

I dunno I've just been itching for something since I started messing around with Phantasy Star Online 2 using translation pack and it just hasn't satisfied other than make the itch worse.

I don't know what it is...something about that type of setting/music/characters from those games from the late 90's early 2000's from Japan...feels good man.

EDIT: Not trying to derail the thread. I want something in the vein of final fantasy...that isn't what final fantasy is right now.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Barudak posted:

The Man with No Namaka

It's Nakama, not Namaka, you baka gaijin

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

I wonder if noted Asian superstar Jackie Chan's desire to see John Wayne in Rush Hour was subtle cultural commentary

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

This time of year I always wonder why Square has never made Final Fantasy Football.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Shachi posted:

Thanks for the write up's. I kind of get what's being said and I guess I haven't been affected because it has probably been 10 years since I've played any of the FF games....not counting on tooling around with VI on my phone when I'm bored.

Maybe this is sacrilege to ask but I've had this craving for dystopian/cyberpunk?/weeaboo games. Any others that you all would recommend? I've pretty missed out on the last 10 years of JRPG's. Never played any of the Star Oceans/Tales/Xeno games. I know all the old classics but preferably some stuff that's been recent...with voice acting. I include this because my wife likes to watch me play games and an RPG with text is pretty much a slog for anyone around to see you play it.

I dunno I've just been itching for something since I started messing around with Phantasy Star Online 2 using translation pack and it just hasn't satisfied other than make the itch worse.

I don't know what it is...something about that type of setting/music/characters from those games from the late 90's early 2000's from Japan...feels good man.

EDIT: Not trying to derail the thread. I want something in the vein of final fantasy...that isn't what final fantasy is right now.

Have you tried Resonance of Fate? It has a weird setting which might appeal to you and very shiny combat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

This time of year I always wonder why Square has never made Final Fantasy Football.

I think an interview with the developer of FF1(?) mentioned that American Football had an impact on the design decisions behind the combat system. Then of course, the interviewer embarassed themself when they knew nothing of football and even through translation you could tell the guy he was interviewing was dissapointed.

That said somebody should make a football JRPG.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
That would rule so hard. Instead of spells you learn new plays, instead of limit breaks you have...uh, two-point conversions or something I guess.

Damage is represented by how a job your O-Line does at letting your quarterback do anything. A sack is like being hit with Break.

Okay I am down for this.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
You guys have never heard of Inazuma Eleven, I take it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inazuma_Eleven

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

We mean Football, not no namby pamby soccer :rolleyes:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

I dunno, Blood Bowl kinda fits that bill.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!

ImpAtom posted:

FF5 is a mid-90s anime given flesh, right down to the general visual design. Basically the only thing that doesn't fit is the Amano artwork for the protagonists. It is all the animes. Hell, it's even the one they made a ridiculous sequel anime out of.

(FF4 and FF6 are too but FF5 is like dead-on for the specific tone it is going for.)

One of the first fan translated animes I'd ever watched was Card Captor Sakura (VHS distributed, heh) and I remember thinking that the general structure of the story, Sakura collects all the cards, was like something out of a video game - Collect all the crystals, stars, pieces of triforce.

And after seeing the Pokemon anime, I'd realized that design and plot of video games and anime are basically one and the same.

At that moment I achieved enlightenment. :v:

Fister Roboto posted:

This time of year I always wonder why Square has never made Final Fantasy Football Kart Racing

A kart racing spinoff is about as reflexive and unconscious as scratching your nuts - it's just bound to happen. And when you pull your hand out, you'll see that alongside the pubes and dead skin cells under your fingernails, is a copy of 'MySims Racing DS'.

e:
Ah gently caress I forgot this existed.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 6, 2013

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is one of S-E's biggest problems. They do a lot better when they're making mid-tier games because it is a lot more what they are built to do. Their teams are clearly more comfortable with them and they can put out the games on a much more regular basis and with a higher overall level of quality. It's just that market doesn't really exist in the same way it used to and is becoming increasingly small. S-E kind of got lucky (to a small degree) that the PSP took off in Japan and they could basically create PS2-level games in a way that would sell. They'd have been a lot luckier if the PSP took off anywhere else.

I don't think it's likely that they'll make many of these kinds of games in the future. The new management is belt-tightening and lacks domestic manpower due to FFXIV:RR. We'll probably see more AAA games from Eidos and an increasingly mobile based lineup from SE Japan. FFXIV:RR and FFXV have a lot riding on them in regards to how SE will go forward with domestic development.

I thought the 3DS would become the platform of choice for them but they have slowly divested out of traditional handheld gaming. Mobile gaming continues to grow at a pace that outstrips dedicated handhelds. There's a chance we'll see more ambitious stuff like Chaos Rings or Bloodmasque but I think most of the games will be money grinds like FF:AtB and Wizardlings.

Silly Voodoo posted:

What? :psyduck: This is a joke, right?

Gamasutra posted:

Square Enix will relocate its main office to a new building (artist rendition of the building pictured) currently under construction in the East Side Square of Tokyo's Shinjuku ward. Construction is expected to be completed in April.

Nikkei BP says the Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest developer/publisher will move from its current headquarters in another part of Shinjuku to the new building some time in summer.

Square Enix was previously based in Tokyo's Meguro ward, but the company moved to Shinjuku in 2004. Famed composer and former employee Nobuo Uematsu previously claimed the move was spurred by a fortune teller's prediction.

"[Square Enix CEO and president Yoichi] Wada took a couple of locations to a fortune teller named Pao," said Uematsu. "Pao said the Meguro space was not going to bring any fortune to the company, and pointed to Shinjuku. That's why he decided to move it there. I heard this directly from Wada."

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/128880/This_week_in_Japanese_news_Square_Enix_to_Otome.php

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

I dunno, Blood Bowl kinda fits that bill.

Nah Blood Bowl is very western; dice to represent everything, interchangeable units, no plot.

I want a JRPG where you start as highschoolers and work your way up through the divisions before the final dungeon located in Canton where you must beat God Roger Goodell and his assembled team of greatest of all times.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

Nah Blood Bowl is very western; dice to represent everything, interchangeable units, no plot.

I want a JRPG where you start as highschoolers and work your way up through the divisions before the final dungeon located in Canton where you must beat God Roger Goodell and his assembled team of greatest of all times.

Fair enough.

I'd probably play the hell out of what you describe, too, which probably says something about me.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I need a ten minute long summon animation of John Madden diagramming over the battlefield with commentary.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The other problem is that the Incarnation of Pure Evil, Dan Snyder, will never have a good enough team to make a good penultimate boss fight.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Defiance Industries posted:

The other problem is that the Incarnation of Pure Evil, Dan Snyder, will never have a good enough team to make a good penultimate boss fight.

He can use Gil Toss for huge damage but smart players with a strong CB can use gil steal repeatedly until he has to rely on his terrible other attacks.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Does this count?

quote:

Footbrawl Quest is a turn based football game featuring the Knights vs the Undead.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=29644.0

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barudak posted:

I think an interview with the developer of FF1(?) mentioned that American Football had an impact on the design decisions behind the combat system. Then of course, the interviewer embarassed themself when they knew nothing of football and even through translation you could tell the guy he was interviewing was dissapointed.

Hiroyuki Ito, a fan of American football, used it as an inspiration for FF1's battle system. Later he invented ATB.

quote:

1UP: So did you create the battle system, or work on balancing it...?

HI: I actually created the battle system, yes.

1UP: What was your inspiration for that?

HI: Basically, there's no one inspiration that I got that battle system from. It was just a logical process, where I thought, "How can I create an efficient battle system for a role-playing game?" That's the answer that I came to. At the root of it all, though, there's a basic kind of system that comes from professional sports...

1UP: Any particular sport that you had in mind?

HI: Yeah, the NFL. Football is probably the closest thing.

1UP: I guess I can see that, with the parties lining up on either side and taking turns...

HI: Yeah. A lot of it has to do with how in the NFL, the plays are pre-planned. Each side has a strategy. That's kind of the idea.

RStar
Aug 18, 2013

Not sure if this is the right thread or not, but has anyone heard when they're going to resume digital sales on FF XIV?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Pureauthor posted:

You guys have never heard of Inazuma Eleven, I take it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inazuma_Eleven

The only proper Soccer game is Megaman Soccer. :colbert:

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Shachi posted:

I've got that same itch. There's just something about the environmental art design of jrpgs from that era that I feel like their modern counterparts have lost. I know a good chunk of the fondness stems from nostalgia, but still, you won't find many modern examples of the genre that can match the atmosphere of FF6/7, Xenogears, Saga Frontier, or even Star Ocean 2. I wish I had something solid I could recommend. The closest fairly recent game I've found that comes close is Lost Odyssey- although I think I've lost my ability to enjoy (read: tolerate) jrpgs of any sort at this point, because I could only get about 20 hours into LO before putting it down for good. I can't think of anything that's come out since then that has piqued my curiosity due to its similarity to the retro-future games of yore. FFXV actually looks somewhat promising in the setting department, though. The city shown in the trailers looks pretty Midgar-ish.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

At the very least, I hope XV benefits from its very long pre-production phase, unlike XIII where they started making a ton of assets and FMVs, and had to work a story and battle system around that.

The trailers from E3 were a throwback to the original one from 2006, except showing all of Noctis' abilities in actual gameplay. This means they haven't had to change anything like Lightning's gravity device, which gets used in one cutscene, breaks, and starts working again 30 hours later when they re-use one of the original trailers. They probably never figured out how to include it in the battle system, so they had to find a way to prevent you from using it outside of the cutscenes they had already made. Even after it's shown to be working, it's not used for anything else again.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Azure_Horizon posted:

This:

is about to become very popular.

I want to believe that's intentional and someone is a pro wrestling fan.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 9, 2013

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Hajime Tabata, director of Type-0 and co-director of XV, apparently wants to make an IP for old people :corsair:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/09/final-fantasy-director-wants-to-develop-new-i-p-for-seniors/

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Level Slide posted:

Hajime Tabata, director of Type-0 and co-director of XV, apparently wants to make an IP for old people :corsair:

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/09/09/final-fantasy-director-wants-to-develop-new-i-p-for-seniors/

Considering Japan's average age is on the rise and childbirth is down, this isn't a shock.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Level Slide posted:

Is the "seniors" by FF standards? As in, people over 30? I'd be OK with that.

Raruna
Mar 30, 2010
Pretty sure he means the folk who consume seinen media instead of what FF typically is, shounen. They don't necessarily have to be old people, but it helps.
:goonsay:

It's probably a tonal shift towards a more serious plot, or at the very least, less "terrible asspulls" people usually expect of plots aimed at younger audiences.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots
So hey I bought FF7 for Steam and while it was fun for a while, I'm now running into a problem: I'm an obsessive min-maxer and this game is really easy. Are there any good difficulty mods out there? I'm mainly interested in making the boss fights harder, I don't care for the random encounters, and mostly run away from them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verybad posted:

So hey I bought FF7 for Steam and while it was fun for a while, I'm now running into a problem: I'm an obsessive min-maxer and this game is really easy. Are there any good difficulty mods out there? I'm mainly interested in making the boss fights harder, I don't care for the random encounters, and mostly run away from them.

It's pretty much impossible to make FF games much harder than they are without limiting your available options, unfortunately.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The problem is FF games have no strategy involved. FF15 looks like it's going to have even less strategy than the others and this makes me sad.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Overbite posted:

The problem is FF games have no strategy involved. FF15 looks like it's going to have even less strategy than the others and this makes me sad.

It looks like it's going to be a Kingdom Hearts game. Which is a good thing because Square can't do strategy like you say.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Overbite posted:

If they replace Strategy with actual action game play (and it looks like they are) then I'm totally for it because you're right, there's never been much strategy needed for any FF game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah if you want actual strategy in your JRPGs you should just play Etrian Odyssey or Shin Megami Tensei or something, FF has always been about just mindlessly using your strongest attacks from the beginning.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Or play the MMOs. :ocelot:

J. Alfred Prufrock
Sep 9, 2008

verybad posted:

Gjoerulv's hardcore mod does a decent job, it adds some new boss fights too.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I've always read that the Japanese were always enamored of games like Mass Effect and their success in the West, they should just team up with Bioware and make a game that is fun to play.

They could even combine their love of impractically huge tits!

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

J. Alfred Prufrock posted:

Gjoerulv's hardcore mod does a decent job, it adds some new boss fights too.

I've read about it and checked some youtube clips. The early bossfights at least looked kind of interesting, but I also read that he messed around with the random encounters and included stuff like unbeatable, inescapable dragon encounters in Mt. Nibel, which sounded like terrible design and made me question if the mod was worth trying out in the first place.

VVVV Well forcing a reload every once in a while certainly makes the game harder, doesn't it? :downs:

verybad fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

verybad posted:

I've read about it and checked some youtube clips. The early bossfights at least looked kind of interesting, but I also read that he messed around with the random encounters and included stuff like unbeatable, unescapable dragon encounters in Mt. Nibel, which sounded like terrible design and made me question if the mod was worth trying out in the first place.

Why the hell would you include unbeatable inescapable encounters?