Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yes, his point is that the presence of a woman on the cover of the novel Jane Eyre, by Charlotte Brontë, is what's going to deter males from buying that edition (as opposed to all those other Jane Eyre covers that don't have one), not that the woman looks like an escapee from a teenaged girl's DeviantArt gallery.

ty

e: to expand—

Doc Fission posted:

I wanted to go back to this because it was dumb. There are loads of book covers featuring men that inexplicably don't alienate women readers. If boys don't want to read books with GIRLS on the COVER that's a problem with boys, not the book or an illustration or whatever the gently caress

I chose the word "girly" deliberately as opposed to "feminine" or "womanish" or what-have-you. You and I both live in a commercial culture where products are marketed to female children through certain identifiable signs. Whether those signs are specially or naturally appealing to girls is beside the point. In our culture, those signs convey: "This product is for you, a 9- to 14-year-old girl, and not for you, everybody else." I don't like it, but it's been a real and thoroughly documented phenomenon for at least a century. Anyone who claims otherwise, or that those book covers are not a prime example, is probably trying to score cheap points in an Internet argument.

Eugene V. Dubstep fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 4, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mrenda posted:

Eh, often solitary people. Sometimes down-and-outs. Navigating their personal ambition or lack of it, content or lacking contentment with their way and knowing or not knowing it (Molloy had this parallel.) An engagement with finding satisfaction in the world, or at least satisfaction in their personal understanding of thought and meaning. Existentialism would be ok, Beckett was painted as nihilistic but I'm not sure I buy him as straight-up nihilism. It seemed more hedonism than nihilism to me, however close they may be. Nothing as everything, personal experience amounting to entireties of the world, or limited, personal worlds.

Maybe try V. by Thomas Pynchon? Half is about a down-and-out trying to find his place in the world (and the absurdity of that quest) while the other half is about a man investigating a mysterious woman only referred to in his father's diaries as V., who may or may not be apart of global conspiracies, and the absurdity in trying to understand such things. Many of the chapters also work as self-contained stories, so there's a lot of structural intrigue in addition to the literal mysteries and philosophical tangents.

And, as it happens, the French edition has one of my favorite book covers, but it's a little :nws:

Some others: Walker Percy, especially his novel The Moviegoer; it fits in with a lot of Flannery O'Connor's stories; and I'll second the Camus and Dostoevsky recommendations, especially Notes from Underground. I'd say to go ahead and read A Portrait of the Artist as Young Man, it's not nearly as daunting as his other novels while being similar to that voice and style. If you haven't read DFW, The Broom of the System also fits at lot of what you want, but many do find him insufferable.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
On the other hand, think about some poor 13 year old hot topic girl reading Wuthering Heights because it has a spooky Burtonesque cover

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Seconding the Eimear McBride recommendation.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

I chose the word "girly" deliberately as opposed to "feminine" or "womanish" or what-have-you. You and I both live in a commercial culture where products are marketed to female children through certain identifiable signs. Whether those signs are specially or naturally appealing to girls is beside the point. In our culture, those signs convey: "This product is for you, a 9- to 14-year-old girl, and not for you, everybody else." I don't like it, but it's been a real and thoroughly documented phenomenon for at least a century. Anyone who claims otherwise, or that those book covers are not a prime example, is probably trying to score cheap points in an Internet argument.
This is basically what my other post originally said before I edited it to avoid possibly putting too many words in your mouth. Glad to know that I wasn't off-base.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 4, 2018

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

I agree with all these points, I just think that the font really disrupts the rest of the flow. I think that cleaning up the font would be better. Maybe put them in the pink boxes instead of cluttered randomly at the top. It's already a chaotic image, and I think it needs something to pull it back and give it some sense of grounding.

I'd put it to one that could use another pass instead of being an outright bad mix.

I am curious, if anyone cares to post them, to see what are some of the lit thread's favorite covers of books.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

Franchescanado posted:

I agree with all these points, I just think that the font really disrupts the rest of the flow. I think that cleaning up the font would be better. Maybe put them in the pink boxes instead of cluttered randomly at the top. It's already a chaotic image, and I think it needs something to pull it back and give it some sense of grounding.

I'd put it to one that could use another pass instead of being an outright bad mix.

I am curious, if anyone cares to post them, to see what are some of the lit thread's favorite covers of books.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Everyone knows that cover design has already been perfected by Reclam.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

That cover of Moscow to the end of the line is ridiculously sick

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

I'm liking the look of Confessions of a Mask of Zorro there as well

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

It's such a good title really. A mask can't confess, its entire function goes against the idea of confessing.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Franchescanado posted:

this one's one of a kind i'm afraid

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

That apes of god cover is cool, iirc lewis did all the drawings for it himself.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

A human heart posted:

That apes of god cover is cool, iirc lewis did all the drawings for it himself.

He did. I'm a big fan of the self-portrait he used for Tarr and the Apes of God cover

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

CestMoi posted:

That cover of Moscow to the end of the line is ridiculously sick

That book rules. I feel slightly woozy just thinking about it

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Clearly

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Salinger has made me into an incel, send help

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That article sure is something

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Came here to post that one, it's pretty much everything I think is wrong with the current cultural moment. There's a really pernicious kind of literary iconoclast that is essentially trying to find any justification they can to disassemble the canon and rebuild it in their own image. This article is just violent video game panic dressed up as a lame justification for denigrating authors the writer doesn't find personally interesting or useful.

Books have no responsibility to display what you think is proper morality or behavior. If you think they do, then lock your arms with the conservative book-burners you resemble so much and march directly into the sea.

Edit: What's with these people inevitably wagging their fingers about the uncomfortable sympathies you feel in Lolita and placing David Foster Wallace as the north star of the Big White Bad Literature Man?

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 5, 2018

jagstag
Oct 26, 2015

Squashing Machine posted:

Edit: What's with these people inevitably wagging their fingers about the uncomfortable sympathies you feel in Lolita and placing David Foster Wallace as the north star of the Big White Bad Literature Man?

because americans don't understand that a protagonist isn't necessarily morally good and a hero because they read graphic novels and download mp3 files to have someone read to them because they are used to their teacher reading to them at with funny voices during library period

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
DFW is apparently popular among a specific sort of douchey guy apparently. Therefore DFW himself represents every bad date a woman has ever had.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Heath posted:

DFW is apparently popular among a specific sort of douchey guy apparently. Therefore DFW himself represents every bad date a woman has ever had.

I've never understood this because he really advocates for empathy in his work and treating everyone as having experiences that you can't possibly understand without really engaging with them.

Seldom Posts
Jul 4, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Cloks posted:

I've never understood this because he really advocates for empathy in his work and treating everyone as having experiences that you can't possibly understand without really engaging with them.

https://jezebel.com/mary-karr-reminds-the-world-that-david-foster-wallace-a-1825799769

edit: https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/05/the-world-still-spins-around-male-genius/559925/

Mel Mudkiper posted:

To be fair he was exceptionally emotionally abusive and straight up stalked a woman for years

Seldom Posts fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 5, 2018

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Heath posted:

To be fair he was exceptionally emotionally abusive and straight up stalked a woman for years

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Came here to post that one, it's pretty much everything I think is wrong with the current cultural moment. There's a really pernicious kind of literary iconoclast that is essentially trying to find any justification they can to disassemble the canon and rebuild it in their own image. This article is just violent video game panic dressed up as a lame justification for denigrating authors the writer doesn't find personally interesting or useful.

Books have no responsibility to display what you think is proper morality or behavior. If you think they do, then lock your arms with the conservative book-burners you resemble so much and march directly into the sea.

If by "the current cultural moment" you mean the hottest, shittiest takes then yes I agree. Otherwise I'd say that there are plenty of valid critiques of "the canon" concerned with the sociological and cultural context from which it emerged.

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Came here to post that one, it's pretty much everything I think is wrong with the current cultural moment.

You my friend are the current cultural moment: mediocre, unoriginal and angry at clickbait trash

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Boatswain posted:

If by "the current cultural moment" you mean the hottest, shittiest takes then yes I agree. Otherwise I'd say that there are plenty of valid critiques of "the canon" concerned with the sociological and cultural context from which it emerged.

suck my whole rear end

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Boatswain posted:

Criticism of the canon and how it gets chosen is completely fine, but I feel like I've definitely seen a creep of a kind of moralistic imperative in the criticism from a growing number of people. I've heard similar shots taken at Nabakov and Flannery O'Connor within my own circle, which seem to have everything to do with them casting sympathies in their writing at people these critics think should be relegated to two-dimensional nonpersonhood, for fear that there might be anything complex or thoughtworthy about them. What they seem to want is religious tracts for secular ideologies.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

J_RBG posted:

You my friend are the current cultural moment: mediocre, unoriginal and angry at clickbait trash

Not sure where this is coming from but, hey, gently caress you too, buddy.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

chernobyl kinsman posted:

suck my whole rear end

They're right.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It's because excessive Twitter use has squeezed subtlety and nuance out of them to the point that they literally think in sanctimonious knee-jerk quips.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

You're the guy that likes 12 Rules for Life so I'm not sure you should be in the literature thread.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

You're the guy that likes 12 Rules for Life so I'm not sure you should be in the literature thread.

Haven't read it, but thanks for stalking me around instead of actually engaging with what I wrote.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

Nanomashoes posted:

I think you might need to go back to C-Spam

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I want to live in a world where literature has as much influence on contemporary society as the dude who wrote that article thinks it does.

Criticism of the canon and how it gets chosen is completely fine, but I feel like I've definitely seen a creep of a kind of moralistic imperative in the criticism from a growing number of people. I've heard similar shots taken at Nabakov and Flannery O'Connor within my own circle, which seem to have everything to do with them casting sympathies in their writing at people these critics think should be relegated to two-dimensional nonpersonhood, for fear that there might be anything complex or thoughtworthy about them. What they seem to want is religious tracts for secular ideologies.

Given the current cultural zeitgeist I think people being unwilling to suspend moral frustrations is a perfectly natural outcome. Its not necessarily two dimensional or moralization. Instead I would argue our culture is re-contextualizing how we confront distasteful people and ideas in art.

Mel Mudkiper fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Jun 5, 2018

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
That article also reminded me of video game panic from the early 00's. Now I'm curious if any authors have come out against that article.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
Man, what happened to this thread...

This week, I finished Amongst Women by John McGahern and Philip Roth's Everyman. They actually share some themes, somehow, and I enjoyed both, but the former is better.

e: to expand a little bit: Roth had me thinking, "that's rough", whereas McGahern's made me physically wince at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

That article also reminded me of video game panic from the early 00's. Now I'm curious if any authors have come out against that article.

That whole debate frustrates me because both sides are wrong

Yes, violent video games, like all media, do affect children's perceptions about the appropriateness of violence but no it doesn't affect them THAT way.