Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Although I'm enjoying the game I think it's pretty poo poo that there's no breadcrumb quests for really important things like the Challenge Log or the Gold Saucer. Why did I have to wiki it to find out that I'd missed them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Taear posted:

Although I'm enjoying the game I think it's pretty poo poo that there's no breadcrumb quests for really important things like the Challenge Log or the Gold Saucer. Why did I have to wiki it to find out that I'd missed them?

because they were launched in increments expecting you to have cleared out every quest already between their launches, leaving you with a single quest icon on the map that you went after when they were released

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Dravanian Hinterlands was my favorite zone. I liked everything about it, particularly how it wasn't a giant pain to get around in on a ground mount.

You have to load twice to get to the other side if you're on a ground mount. I like the zone too, but I made it a priority to get flying unlocked there ASAP because it was terrible to get around otherwise.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Taear posted:

I managed to stumble upon the breadcrumb for the Gold Saucer because my starting city was Ul'dah (although maybe there's breadcrumbs elsewhere?) - one thing I kinda wish they'd make a bit more obvious is if a quest is a part of a line that unlocks something important or not. Although it seems like quests that unlock things usually have like that full visual banner, there's a whole bunch of quests that have those, but don't unlock stuff.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Oxyclean posted:

I managed to stumble upon the breadcrumb for the Gold Saucer because my starting city was Ul'dah (although maybe there's breadcrumbs elsewhere?) - one thing I kinda wish they'd make a bit more obvious is if a quest is a part of a line that unlocks something important or not. Although it seems like quests that unlock things usually have like that full visual banner, there's a whole bunch of quests that have those, but don't unlock stuff.

I didn't know that the Challenge Log existed until I was almost level 30 because I started in Gridania. If it wasn't for a helpful post from earlier in the thread I still probably wouldn't know what it is.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Do all your quests and you won't have these problems.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

I didn't know that the Challenge Log existed until I was almost level 30 because I started in Gridania. If it wasn't for a helpful post from earlier in the thread I still probably wouldn't know what it is.

Yeah, I would have missed it too if I wasn't following that guide linked in the OP that tells you what level stuff unlocks. Seems like a very odd thing to have to unlock.

Is there any word on how the 3.1 relics will work, and to what degree the old level 50 relics will factor in?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Whizbang posted:

Do all your quests and you won't have these problems.

Once I outlevel something by 2 or so I leave it behind so that when I'm leveling a new class I don't have to rely on leves, fates, and dungeons because I'm pretty sure I would kill myself if I had to grind up a class that way.

There are a lot of quests that get left behind because of this.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Armory Bonus makes up for that, but it's still not a bad idea to leave a few. A change of pace is always nice.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

IcePhoenix posted:

Once I outlevel something by 2 or so I leave it behind so that when I'm leveling a new class I don't have to rely on leves, fates, and dungeons because I'm pretty sure I would kill myself if I had to grind up a class that way.

There are a lot of quests that get left behind because of this.

That's stupid because quests don't get the armory bonus. The devs put all those quests there for a reason, you aren't smarter than them.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

At some point they're just going to drop a feature that informs you of systems you haven't unlocked more clearly as part of QoL changes, probably. It's the kind of thing they've done before.

Oxyclean posted:

Yeah, I would have missed it too if I wasn't following that guide linked in the OP that tells you what level stuff unlocks. Seems like a very odd thing to have to unlock.

Is there any word on how the 3.1 relics will work, and to what degree the old level 50 relics will factor in?

Nope. I have my educated guess that the stats from Novus will somehow carry over but there's no way we'll know what it entails until the server is down because it would gently caress with a lot of things.

Edit: Also note that the new exploration missions drop Aetherial gear, and they made a point of saying it's a place you can spiritbond gear. Gil on a tomestone that it starts out with needing to bind some Materia V to pick your stats (and I-IV if you don't already have a Zeta) probably with an alexandrite-like reagent you get from running 24-person raids. This is my prediction for how Relic II will start.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Sep 22, 2015

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Whizbang posted:

That's stupid because quests don't get the armory bonus. The devs put all those quests there for a reason, you aren't smarter than them.

Who says I'm trying to outsmart the devs? I still have to kill stuff while I do most of the quests. There will still be random fates in the areas where I'm collecting bear asses.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Whizbang posted:

Then why are there more quests then you'll ever need in some level ranges?

I wish quests got the armory bonus or there was some way to get them as alts. I can't say I really enjoy fate grinding or leves. Leves just feel like quests but worse in every way except maybe the XP.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

From 1-50 its because they boosted exp from other sources. Dungeons got a big boost post launch and the introduction of daily leveling roulette also helped a lot. Heavensward ramped pre-50 story quest exp as well from what I remembered.

Post 50 the reason is that you are going to need that exp buffer for when you get around 57-59. The story quests ramp up the levels very fast in this range and unless you have a healthy buffer you'll have to start rolling dungeons or finishing all the quests to get to them quickly.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yeah, I plan to finish up all my level 22 quests once I hit the 57 wall

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
After being incredibly disappointed in Warlords of Draenor, I'm thinking of getting back into the game after playing a bit post-launch, but not really getting too far since my friends passed me up (I stopped around Garuda). Will it be much of a difference nowadays? I played Thaumaturge/Black Mage before, and I'm thinking of Archer/Bard, since I want to start sort of fresh. I forget nearly everything about this game, so I'm pretty much a newbie again. I'm also really in no rush to get to max level and endgame content.

Is the community of the game still the same sort of tolerable in not being complete assholes like most MMOs (but not tolerable enough to let you watch cutscenes in dungeons)?

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The lack of a substantial endgame is starting to get to me, I'm actually playing other games again. Fortunately I still have a bunch of 2.x stuff that I can do while waiting for the next patch, although it's a bummer that we won't see that until November.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Colgate posted:

After being incredibly disappointed in Warlords of Draenor, I'm thinking of getting back into the game after playing a bit post-launch, but not really getting too far since my friends passed me up (I stopped around Garuda). Will it be much of a difference nowadays? I played Thaumaturge/Black Mage before, and I'm thinking of Archer/Bard, since I want to start sort of fresh. I forget nearly everything about this game, so I'm pretty much a newbie again. I'm also really in no rush to get to max level and endgame content.

Is the community of the game still the same sort of tolerable in not being complete assholes like most MMOs (but not tolerable enough to let you watch cutscenes in dungeons)?

It's a good thing you're not in a hurry, because end-game is a pretty long ways off if you're not even level 50 yet.

The community is kind of smallish atm, since we're in that patch-cycle lull, but I'd say it's fine, especially if you're on excal. Other servers I can't speak for but I imagine they are fine, too. FF14 has it's dicks like all communities, but in general they aren't too bad about it. Just the other day I was doing a leveling roulette dungeon with 3 level synced characters and a struggling newbie scholar. Despite the synced players obviously wanting to speedrun to get the dungeon over-with, everyone slowed down to give advice and help the scholar get the hang of things and learn how to do the job effectively.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

IcePhoenix posted:

They probably figured that by putting an important level 15 side quest ten feet away from the level 15 main story quest in Limsa that people would compulsively pick it up (same with the quest to unlock dyeing in Vesper Bay). Of course not everybody picks up every quest just because they can, so people can and do miss these.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Thankfully I'm busy outside of the game, but I can definitely see how people could be disappointed with the current endgame. I basically only log in for an hour or so each day to cap Esoterics, find some time to get my Alex drops for alts, then call it a week. Since Relics are useless outside of glamour now and way too much effort for that, even if I had more time to play the only thing I'd be doing with it is more pony farming of old primals. Three more to go for Kirin.

I'm really not looking forward to another Novus step though, if they end up adding one. I don't have the money for that. :( But I do hope Zeta-havers get some kind of advantage on Relic II, especially since I'll still be in school for another month after 3.1 drops.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm pretty happy with the amount of content in 3.0. There might not be much for me to do right now, but that's because I've done nearly everything. And there was a LOT to do. I don't need to play the game 24/7 to be satisfied, and seriously lmao if you do. If you're not having fun, take a break.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Seriously Heavensward was a real good Co-Op JRPG up till now. Just doing the MSQ is worth at least a month's subscription.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

For people like me who don't log even a full 4 hours a night average playing, the pacing is fine, I still have crafts to level, eso to gather for my class I plan to go into 3.1 with and fiddling with other games inbetween.

Generally I'm a pretty good measure of where the average idiot who doesn't know what they're doing is at and I'm at 4 pieces of ESO gear including 2 weapons and 3.1 will come out with about the right timing for me to feel on track for doing a relic II or something.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm pretty happy with the amount of content in 3.0. There might not be much for me to do right now, but that's because I've done nearly everything. And there was a LOT to do. I don't need to play the game 24/7 to be satisfied, and seriously lmao if you do. If you're not having fun, take a break.

I'm in this boat right now, though my group is getting further in Savage Alexander every week we attempt it so I feel we're making progress despite the extreme, brutally unforgiving difficulty.

They could've handled the gear progression better, I don't disagree with that, but it's still a fun game.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

I'm in this boat right now, though my group is getting further in Savage Alexander every week we attempt it so I feel we're making progress despite the extreme, brutally unforgiving difficulty.

They could've handled the gear progression better, I don't disagree with that, but it's still a fun game.

A3s or lower? If you aren't talking about A3 or A4 savage then you haven't even hit the brutally unforgiving difficulty lmao.

Whizbang posted:

What about people who started in 2.0 and quit during 2.1 and came back in 2.5? How would they know about the golden saucer? Because during the 2.0 release it was better exp to fate grind to 50.

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Holyshoot posted:

A3s or lower? If you aren't talking about A3 or A4 savage then you haven't even hit the brutally unforgiving difficulty lmao.

What about people who started in 2.0 and quit during 2.1 and came back in 2.5? How would they know about the golden saucer? Because during the 2.0 release it was better exp to fate grind to 50.

Perhaps the big HEY THERE'S A GOLD SAUCER NOW banner on the launcher every day during 2.5?

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

kafziel posted:

Perhaps the big HEY THERE'S A GOLD SAUCER NOW banner on the launcher every day during 2.5?

Shhh you're ruining the narrative

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

kharaa posted:

Shhh you're ruining the narrative

I mean, they're not wrong that while it was really easy to unlock those things if you were playing when the patch dropped, the systems and things you have to unlock that are non-MSQ are starting to get pretty obfuscated. I do think they'll eventually have something in-game that points people toward those things, though.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There already is, it's the recommendations window. By default it pops up whenever you enter a new zone and it will show you all the available quests there, among other things.

Seriously, do every quest.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Wind up minfilia uses a linkshell to tell you when you've unlocked a new feature.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

suffering from the questies is an ailment you should try to cure

this is when you no longer can see zone maps because of all the quest icons btw

KoB
May 1, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

There already is, it's the recommendations window. By default it pops up whenever you enter a new zone and it will show you all the available quests there, among other things.

Seriously, do every quest.

It is not by default. I had to turn this on specifically.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

RuanGacho posted:

Wind up minfilia uses a linkshell to tell you when you've unlocked a new feature.

I think she tells you to pray, return to the waking sands and then explains the feature upon arrival.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

Leal posted:

I think she tells you to pray, return to the waking sands and then explains the feature upon arrival.

The feature will be further explained by elaborately named moogles you have to look behind the current scion bases furniture for.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Honestly they should give the quests that unlock these kind of features a unique icon, not unlike the ones for new classes, or the MSQ icon. I can't imagine that being too difficult to implement.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

IcePhoenix posted:

I'm 40 and I thought the challenge log and gold saucer were things that'd unlock at end game.

APPARENTLY NOT :downs:

e: poo poo and there's two dungeons I haven't unlocked cause they were side quests.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
Unlockables up to 50.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Not sure if something similar exists for HW content.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sarrisan posted:

Unlockables up to 50.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Not sure if something similar exists for HW content.

There is, yes. Pretty much the exact same URL except with "Heavensward" in it. Also it's linked as a "were you looking for" at the top of the original guide, and vice versa.

http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Heavensward_Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Holyshoot posted:

A3S, Living Liquid. We're getting further every time we go in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

I missed like every optional dungeon because I significantly outleveled, and so did not take, the quests that opened them. I never figured out why my gear was so inadequate when it was always better than whatever quests were giving me.

RuanGacho posted:

I have no idea what you're talking about. I think I missed this feature. I only ever got linkshelled for plot stuff.

• Locked thread