Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Painful Dart Bomb
May 23, 2012

And he was talking 'fore I knew it, and as he grew he'd say "I'm gonna be like you, dad" "You know I'm gonna be like you".
Hi gooners, I'm trying to squeeze a bit more life out of my old i5-2500k so I just bought a Hyper 212 evo cooler. The problem is that I'm not really noticing any difference vs stock. Temps are the same and I'm stuck at 4200mhz while people are saying 4500 shouldn't be too hard to hit. Did I gently caress something up with the install? I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put a little dot of the stuff that came with it then screwed everything down tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

jonathan posted:

Can anyone take a look at this eBay listing and tell me if it's a scam or not ?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F122930426398

I'm not seeing any tell tale signs other than being cheap. Planning on delidding it anyways.

It seems like one of those scam listings you see on video cards a lot recently. Seller probably had their account hacked and the hackers will try to clear out the paypal before the fraud is noticed. Usually it's like:
1) item is too cheap and they have a large quantity
2) they haven't sold tech before
3) been inactive for a few months

If you buy it paypal will cover you if it's a scam but you're unlikely to get the product.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Painful Dart Bomb posted:

Hi gooners, I'm trying to squeeze a bit more life out of my old i5-2500k so I just bought a Hyper 212 evo cooler. The problem is that I'm not really noticing any difference vs stock. Temps are the same and I'm stuck at 4200mhz while people are saying 4500 shouldn't be too hard to hit. Did I gently caress something up with the install? I cleaned off the old thermal paste and put a little dot of the stuff that came with it then screwed everything down tight.

How hot is it getting? Do you have a fan profile set up in the BIOS?

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rexxed posted:

It seems like one of those scam listings you see on video cards a lot recently. Seller probably had their account hacked and the hackers will try to clear out the paypal before the fraud is noticed. Usually it's like:
1) item is too cheap and they have a large quantity
2) they haven't sold tech before
3) been inactive for a few months

If you buy it paypal will cover you if it's a scam but you're unlikely to get the product.

Thanks. I retracted the buy order. Odd that this works to clear out PayPal as I get a week's hold on deposits from eBay to PayPal

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Are there going to be non z coffee lake boards?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Are there going to be non z coffee lake boards?

Yes, but at this point the price difference is only going to be ~$10-20 between similarly-equipped boards, and the Z-boards provide more PCIe lanes and the ability to use overclocked memory.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

So even if going 8400 a z board would still be preferable?

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug
Microcenter has a message on their site that part of their response to the crypto video card craze is that there are in-store deals if you are buying single video cards as part of a larger purchase rather than the online advertised price. Has anyone on here gotten a deal like that? Does it drop it to a reasonable price or still very inflated? Finally got the nod from the wife for a system rebuild and this bullshit it going on.

Edit: Here's a link to the message:
Microcenter Video Card Message

mkultra419 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2018

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I just dropped $620 on a 1080 but the ones at MicroCenter are like $900 anyway.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Dongattack posted:

Oh yeah, it would probably be cheaper too, but i really need to take the plunge on building PCs and i thought this might be a good starter project :)

Edit: Actually that's a lot cheaper, can't really ignore that. I'll get a Synology NAS and the first PC build will have to wait a bit longer.

There's a dedicated thread for this subject you may want to check out.

Packrats unite! The consumer NAS/storage megathread

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

The Slack Lagoon posted:

So even if going 8400 a z board would still be preferable?

We've been recommending people go with low-end Z-boards for a while now, even back into Skylake and Kaby Lake days. They just give you more ability to wring more performance out of even a locked chip through higher-speed DDR4 and guaranteed TDP adjustment, so you can run all cores at full speed. The lowest-end Z boards aren't championship overclockers, but if you're using a locked CPU, it doesn't matter.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008

mkultra419 posted:

Microcenter has a message on their site that part of their response to the crypto video card craze is that there are in-store deals if you are buying single video cards as part of a larger purchase rather than the online advertised price. Has anyone on here gotten a deal like that? Does it drop it to a reasonable price or still very inflated? Finally got the nod from the wife for a system rebuild and this bullshit it going on.

Edit: Here's a link to the message:
Microcenter Video Card Message

We were chatting about video cards about 20 posts back ;

I bought an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB for $546.99 with like a $20 or $30 mail in rebate and a game download code about 3 weeks ago. On their site, it is now $979.99 USD. Only one card in stock. Near Cleveland, Ohio.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Not sure where to ask so I’ll try here. Anyone know a good decently priced surge protector to plug the computer into? Want to start playing it safe.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Social Animal posted:

Not sure where to ask so I’ll try here. Anyone know a good decently priced surge protector to plug the computer into? Want to start playing it safe.

I've got one of these which is okay, but I plug all my PCs into uninterruptible power supplies. They're a bit more expensive but are the definition of playing it safe. I haven't had an issue with a bad power supply since I started using UPSes for everything in 2003 or so. If you do want an UPS I'd get a cyberpower pure sine wave in 1000VA to 1500VA depending on how much stuff you want to plug into it. It can be worth waiting for sales on UPSes because they're often a lot cheaper than normal price.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Social Animal posted:

Do you want a power strip that will last you your life, and is god tier?

https://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-Protector-Right-Angle-ISOBAR6ULTRA/dp/B0000513US

That's all I use is tripp lite isobar bricks, and APC UPS. Depends on your definition of 'decent priced' though.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Honestly what you guys posted are exactly what I'm looking for. Of course they are both highly reviewed Amazon choice items so now I have to pick between them. I only have two items plugged in, my tower and my monitor. I think I'll go with the four port Tripp Lite since I don't think I'll be needing the co-ax or phone ports in the APC model.

Thanks bros.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Social Animal posted:

Honestly what you guys posted are exactly what I'm looking for. Of course they are both highly reviewed Amazon choice items so now I have to pick between them. I only have two items plugged in, my tower and my monitor. I think I'll go with the four port Tripp Lite since I don't think I'll be needing the co-ax or phone ports in the APC model.

Thanks bros.

its an extra like $4.42 for the 6 outlet and trust me at some point you'll be glad you have one with spare outlets. there is literally nothing worse than reaching down around contorted to plug something in and having a full rear end power strip.

it even comes with plug-blanks to put into the unused holes so they dont get dusty, i'd really recommend just getting the 6 brick.

E: BTW just because it's not clearly advertised, one of the cool things about that strip is that each pair of outlets (up and down) are isolated from each other. So if you have a noisy thing like a fan motor or w/e on one outlet, moving down the next set is buffered from that to a large degree. There is actual electronics inside the brick, not just wires. These are pro fukken power strips.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 25, 2018

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Sniep posted:

its an extra like $4.42 for the 6 outlet and trust me at some point you'll be glad you have one with spare outlets. there is literally nothing worse than reaching down around contorted to plug something in and having a full rear end power strip.

it even comes with plug-blanks to put into the unused holes so they dont get dusty, i'd really recommend just getting the 6 brick.

Ah yeah that makes sense, 6 ports it is then!

Also just realized I had a second unrelated question. My Gigabyte RX 570 arrived and it sits at 45 C idle. In game it never goes past 60 C or so. Is this normal? Only software I've got installed after popping the card in is the AMD driver stuff. My i5-2500k is idling at about 35-38 C which also seems pretty hot to me.

What should I do? I should state that I have the Hyper 212 Evo cooler for the CPU. I had no intentions of overclocking in fact I bought it after I initially built this thing 5-6 years ago because I felt like the stock fan wasn't cooling it enough. After using the Evo temps dropped 10 C. I feel like I'm just cursed with bad temps and messing something basic completely up.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Social Animal posted:

Ah yeah that makes sense, 6 ports it is then!

Also just realized I had a second unrelated question. My Gigabyte RX 570 arrived and it sits at 45 C idle. In game it never goes past 60 C or so. Is this normal? Only software I've got installed after popping the card in is the AMD driver stuff. My i5-2500k is idling at about 35-38 C which also seems pretty hot to me.

What should I do? I should state that I have the Hyper 212 Evo cooler for the CPU. I had no intentions of overclocking in fact I bought it after I initially built this thing 5-6 years ago because I felt like the stock fan wasn't cooling it enough. After using the Evo temps dropped 10 C. I feel like I'm just cursed with bad temps and messing something basic completely up.

Those temperatures seem fine to me. The CPU might idle a little bit lower but it will depend on ambient temperatures. I have a Be Quiet slim tower on an i5-2500 that idles around the same as your 2500K with the 212. The GPU temps seem normal, graphics cards run hot and I wouldn't worry until they hit 80C or higher.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rexxed posted:

Those temperatures seem fine to me. The CPU might idle a little bit lower but it will depend on ambient temperatures. I have a Be Quiet slim tower on an i5-2500 that idles around the same as your 2500K with the 212. The GPU temps seem normal, graphics cards run hot and I wouldn't worry until they hit 80C or higher.

Well poo poo thanks I feel much better. I guess for my next build though I should just skip the K CPU and use the stock fan.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Social Animal posted:

Well poo poo thanks I feel much better. I guess for my next build though I should just skip the K CPU and use the stock fan.

It depends if you plan to overclock, the 2500K was a god tier CPU that could OC to 4.4+ pretty easily. Until coffee lake there wasn't a huge difference between it and a new i5 as long as you were overclocking. With coffee lake you get 2 more cores so that makes a marked performance improvement for multithreaded workloads.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Rexxed posted:

It depends if you plan to overclock, the 2500K was a god tier CPU that could OC to 4.4+ pretty easily. Until coffee lake there wasn't a huge difference between it and a new i5 as long as you were overclocking. With coffee lake you get 2 more cores so that makes a marked performance improvement for multithreaded workloads.

I never bothered with overclocking the 2500k. Better late than never? Any good guides out there?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Social Animal posted:

I never bothered with overclocking the 2500k. Better late than never? Any good guides out there?

There's a whole thread:
Overclocking Megathread 3.11 for Workgroups

The OP is out of date but it contains info related to sandy bridge which is the 2nd gen stuff you're using, so it should still be useful.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Social Animal posted:

I use an APC BR1500G connected to a Tripp-Lite four-socket ISOBAR surge protector (because while APCs UPS might be decent, their surge protection isn't stellar), which also pre-conditions and 'cleans' the signal coming into the UPS. The BR1500G is nice in the sense that it comes with a port that allows you to connect a supplementary battery pack. The main unit uses two battery packs, while the expansion unit has *four*. Under load, my system will continue to run for 60-90 minutes depending on the *percentage* of the load. The other nice thing about the BR1500G is that the batteries are easily accessible and thus easily replaceable by a slide out 'door' on the underside.

To spread things out, I've got a bog-standard cheapish CyberPower 825AVR to power my router and NAS box (never put a printer on a UPS), so even in the event of a complete power outage, I've got internet connectivity for as long as the battery in my FiOS ONT/local neighborhood FiOS node stays up. Some people swear by ~true sine wave filtering~, which CyberPower offers in their mid-to-high-end home/small business offerings, and APC only offers in their small business and server SKUs.

EDIT: Just noticed you said *surge protector*. Yeah, get an ISOBAR. Don't gently caress around.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Social Animal posted:

The Wirecutter is usually pretty good about stuff like this.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I use an APC BR1500G

That's what I used to run, the BG1500G+expansion unit, and it was great until my last build. Upon research apparently you're not really supposed to use approximated sine-wave equipment to source the most modern versions of PSUs. You can know if your PSU is the type that absolutely needs pure sine-wave by the fact that it won't have a 110/220 orange slidey switch on the back - it will just take a cord in for 100-240. The claim was, that the approximated sine wave fucks up the dynamic power tracking somethingorother and makes everything run really hot and blow a lot of juice.

I don't know how accurate that is since it was just various blog posts / forums comments when I was last researching it, but it caused me to go buy a SMT1500 and relegate my BG1500G pair to the entertainment center (which includes internet modems+router+wifi base)

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Sorry for thr stupid question but has anyone seen any decent prebuilt deals in canada. I've been hearing that with the crazy graphics card prices you can sometimes come out cheaper with pre builts now.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
Sorry for thr double post but what is your guys takes on the 4 dell optiond here?

http://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/cty/pdp/spd/alienware-aurora-r7-desktop?ref=p13n_system_cat_mv&c=ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs

I know its dell but its in cad and prices have been crazy. A friend has been looking for a new gaming rig so i was doing a bit of snooping for him.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
4th one is pretty solid but I don't know what kind of motherboard/psu they put in their alienware.
Suck having a unlocked i7 if the rest can't handle an Overclock.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Does microcenter do yearly sales?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Lawman 0 posted:

Does microcenter do yearly sales?

February has historically been "builder's month" and they usually have some decent sales.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

February has historically been "builder's month" and they usually have some decent sales.

Just for parts?
I guess I'll wait then

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Yep. My dad and I have built our last 4 machines in February and looking at email threads they always had great deals on Mobo/CPU bundles and such

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Good Will Hrunting posted:

Yep. My dad and I have built our last 4 machines in February and looking at email threads they always had great deals on Mobo/CPU bundles and such

So would it start on February 1st?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Lawman 0 posted:

So would it start on February 1st?

Good question - I haven't contacted them yet cause I won't be home until mid-Feb and don't have a MC near me but they're generally very open about sales (heck, they might even give you a decent deal now) so its worth a shot.

SinJin
Aug 2, 2008
With Micro Center, you'll get their best deals if you're in store shopping. Most deals they advertise but there's sporadic not advertised sales too. (If you're able to get to one)

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Micro Center also allows haggling if you're buying enough, and they'll also price match first-tier competition (other B&M, Amazon, Newegg, B&H, etc.) provided you don't run into a dickhead manager who stonewalls you.

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

Krogort posted:

4th one is pretty solid but I don't know what kind of motherboard/psu they put in their alienware.
Suck having a unlocked i7 if the rest can't handle an Overclock.

I asked dell and they said it's a propriatary motherboard based on the Intel Z370 chipset.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Terebus posted:

I asked dell and they said it's a propriatary motherboard based on the Intel Z370 chipset.

Well, at this point every prebuilt running an 8th gen chip is using a Z370 simply because that's all that there is right now. If they were running the B, H, and Q boards someone would've noticed by now.

But yeah, out of those four, the $1999 one is shockingly the best 'value,' even though their pairing of 2666Mhz DDR4 with an 8700K is all kinds of :smith:. Christ, I remember a year and a half ago when you could put together a 1080Ti system for that and not make too many compromises. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Well, at this point every prebuilt running an 8th gen chip is using a Z370 simply because that's all that there is right now. If they were running the B, H, and Q boards someone would've noticed by now.

But yeah, out of those four, the $1999 one is shockingly the best 'value,' even though their pairing of 2666Mhz DDR4 with an 8700K is all kinds of :smith:. Christ, I remember a year and a half ago when you could put together a 1080Ti system for that and not make too many compromises. :negative:

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure of the distinctions between those 3 types of boards you mentioned. Is there something specific I could ask their customer support that would give me a better idea of the board's capabilities or limitations?

The one upside is the price is in CAD and I found a coupon code that further reduces the price to $1850 si it comes out to around $1,5k US. Since I don't know the mobo specs I don't know if I can upgrade the RAM to a higher clock speed correct?