Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
That does sound fairly blatant.

I think VW really needs to be pulled up on the figures they quote here. I've never seen even close to what the smaller TSI models should be capable of even under pretty much ideal real world conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
That may just be because the driving cycles they use to determine that is not very realistic, compared to actual driving.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

A lot of European car makers have been gaming the system for the last few years (tuning their cars to perform well in the tests, but not so great in reality). There was talk about the EU doing something, but I don't imagine they've got around to it yet. There an article about it from the US perspective here.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The test cycles are mandated, and must be consistent in order to give meaningful compairson between cars. If you create a test like that, manufacturers will optimise to beat it, even at the expence of real-world MPG. I don't have a problem with that, really, it's the fuel economy version of "the race starts when the rule book's printed".

As I understand it, at least in the EU, they're the only figures a manufacturer is allowed to publish anyway. I don't think it's fair to expect a manufacturer to deliberately do worse than they are capable of in the test in order to give better real-world economy, as while word would get around, that's a gamble.

Now, if you do a deal with customers, and say "we can use the on-board diagnostics to check how you drive at a service, and if you've been driving in such a way as to get this little green 'eco' light on the dash lit 90% of the time (or whatever), then we guarantee you will see at least X mpg in mixed driving", maybe something could happen, but that's a lot of effort and a big gamble.

They have a similar test cycle for electric cars, and what's interesting is several manufacturers actually do say "look, the test cycles says this range, but you'll never achieve that, and in reality you're looking at more like this", which shows a certain amount of common sense in not wanting a lot of pissed-off customers, because the difference really is appalling in many cases.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
That Ford article says that they simply used the EPA's numbers for the Fusion hybrid, because it's the same drivetrain. Of course, that doesn't account for weight, aerodynamics, etc etc. No loving wonder the numbers are off the mark. I didn't know that manufacturers could even do that. "Welp, we've created this new 3-ton pickup, let's make a model that uses the drivetrain from the Fusion hybrid and say it gets 47mpg."

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
I bet the EPA is surprised they can do that too.

American cars have always been about cheating. Just look at Nascar and their solid lead radios and helmets that would be left in the car to make weight...

American automakers have gone beyond being bastards about cheating the system and have become outright sublime at it. It's quite impressive, and people should take notes.

Edit: VVV Yes, I'm aware the Europeans et;al. are quite adept at creative rules interpretation as well.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 13, 2014

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
If you think cheating is confined to American motorsport then you're sorely, sorely mistaken.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not cheating, it's optimising performance within the enforcement of the regulations. :colbert:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Rule spergin' just makes sneaker cheats.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
If you ain't cheating you ain't winning

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
It's all fun and games until you accidently drop 50 pounds of lead shot used to make tech weight, all over pit road.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

SocketSeven posted:

It's all fun and games until you accidently drop 50 pounds of lead shot used to make tech weight, all over pit road.

or somebody t-bones you, and all the fuel comes out of your roll cage.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's ok, just use the fire exting... Oh, wait, yeah. Nitrous.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

InitialDave posted:

It's ok, just use the fire exting... Oh, wait, yeah. Nitrous.

Those do a pretty good job of holding gasoline too, at least up to a few hundred psi.

Then they make a really nice BLEVE.

BLEVE = Big Loud Explosion, Very Exciting (or Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion)

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SocketSeven posted:

Was that F1 where that happened? Either way, hilarious.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Fucknag posted:

Was that F1 where that happened? Either way, hilarious.

Nah, Some NASCAR event. F1 cars get weighed after the race. :) I forget the method of storage, but they had loaded a bunch of lead shot in the car to make it meet tech weight. Something happened and the weight was dropped all over pit lane, instead of on the track where nobody would notice.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I thought that's what happened: they were racing light, then trying to dump lead in the tank at the last fuelup to make weight during post inspection.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
NASCAR vehicles are weighed at the starts of races I think. I imagine these days they weigh the cars at the end too.

As I had understood it, that teams would lighten the cars to the point where they wouldn't pass tech, then leave a lead radio or helmet in the seat to make it meet the minimum weight.

Once tech inspections noticed the lead radios and helmets, teams had to find some other place to put their weight, and some sneaky method to get rid of it. Where they put it is up for debate I suppose, but they chose to dump it on the ground to get rid of it, and got caught when their trap door to drop the stuff opened on pit lane, pelting pit crews with buckshot.

Edit: Some :effort: later, I found this.

Darrell Waltrip's team would fill frame rails with BBs or buckshot, then when on the track, he'd pull a little wire that would open a trap door in the frame rail, and the BBs would spill out on the back straight. But once, a crewman washed the car and got the BBs wet. They all stuck together, and didn't escape until Waltrip was speeding down pit lane. As the BBs pelted crew members from other teams, as well as NASCAR officials, it did not take long for inspectors to close that loophole.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jun 13, 2014

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

SocketSeven posted:

American automakers have gone beyond being bastards about cheating the system and have become outright sublime at it. It's quite impressive, and people should take notes.

This is a pretty ridiculous generalization. This has happened to Ford twice now, not the others. And let's not forget Hyundai had this sort of thing happen as well, so it's not just us American bastards.

It's a standard test that you design to since that's how your cars are rated. It may not be the best real world representation but like others already said it's what you're going to be compared against other cars with.

BoostCreep
May 3, 2004

Might I ask where you keep your forced induction accessories?
Grimey Drawer

Throatwarbler posted:

So I guess now is a good time since the spotlight is on GM, but Ford has just announced that the fuel economy ratings on half their cars are basically pulled out of their rear end.

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/06/ford-c-max-gets-second-mpg-rating-downgrade.html

I highly doubt that applies to the Fiesta ST, but I get around 24mpg combined, with 32 on extended highway trips without touching boost. Not quite the 26/35/29 advertised.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Eh, it's just Ford being Ford, like when the HEMI came out, so they just submitted Mustangs with insane cams/heads/fueling to car magazines so the test cars made like 50% more power than stock. There was a memorable quote from some journalist along the lines of "yeah, when it was sitting there idling like a top fuel dragster we kinda figured something was up, but just ignored it."

y'know, in the good old days when comapnies lied about horsepower instead of fuel economy* :(

*by "fuel economy" I mean empeagee's

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Elviscat posted:

Eh, it's just Ford being Ford, like when the HEMI came out, so they just submitted Mustangs with insane cams/heads/fueling to car magazines so the test cars made like 50% more power than stock. There was a memorable quote from some journalist along the lines of "yeah, when it was sitting there idling like a top fuel dragster we kinda figured something was up, but just ignored it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUZnoSu1NMY
Just listen to that new fangled fuel saving ECU. It turns off extra cylinders. :v:

Fake edit: I have no idea who's car that is, it was just the first one with the right noise.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

How about the early days of Diesel electronics, where each and every ECU from a couple manufacturers was programmed to recognize when it was in an emissions test (since EPA testing took random production engines off the line), and scaled fuel delivery and timing to deliver a better-than-normal result (but poorer engine performance)? I can't remember the specifics or who exactly was involved but I heard the story from a fairly reliable source. I'll try and find an actual news story on it or something.
Also that insane TTE WRC Celica restrictor bypass trapdoor thing was probably the best automotive cheat of all time.

Oh, and here's what nominal synchro sleeve wear looks like on a fairly high-mileage RT-8908LL:

But here's 4th on that very same box:

If ya can't find 'em, grind 'em.
Not the most spectacular failure I've seen (last week I removed a diff from its housing with a shovel, first diff I've seen that was so thoroughly destroyed they didn't get their core charge back) but I almost never have my phone in the shop so the opportunity for carnage shots are rare.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Tommychu posted:

Also that insane TTE WRC Celica restrictor bypass trapdoor thing was probably the best automotive cheat of all time.

Max Mosley explained: "When the system was dismantled, the flange would automatically close itself and remove evidence that extra air could have entered engine. This system not only allowed extra air which did not pass through the restrictor to enter the engine, but also the restrictor itself could illegally be moved further from the turbo.

"The hose was fixed to the restrictor by a jubilee clip. A special tool was then applied to open the device and then the device then gripped in the open position by a second clip. Both of these clips had to be undone for a scrutineer to check the restrictor and in the process of opening those clips the device snapped shut.

"Inside it was beautifully made. The springs inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air which passed through. To force the springs open without the special tool would require substantial force. It is the most sophisticated and ingenious device either I or the FIA's technical experts have seen for a long-time. It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest there was any means of opening it."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
I'm reading that but not understanding it. Some clarification for an idiot please?

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
That red bit is a restrictor that controls how much air can be pulled into the engine (you can see the turbo on the right)

On the top, is how it looked whenever inspectors looked at it.

On the bottom, is how it looked whenever they were using it.

After putting the whole unit in place, they would use a special tool to pull the restrictor forward 5mm in it's housing, allowing extra air into the engine by the path shown on the bottom. The restrictor was held in place by the clamps (Jubilee clips) that hold the intake hose in place, so taking the thing apart to inspect it caused the plate to snap closed again, and look completely normal.
The place where this moving restrictor plate met the housing (on the right hand side of the diagram again.) was so finely machined, that when you looked at it while closed, it appeared to be a solid piece of metal.

SocketSeven fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 14, 2014

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

SocketSeven posted:

Max Mosley explained: "When the system was dismantled, the flange would automatically close itself and remove evidence that extra air could have entered engine. This system not only allowed extra air which did not pass through the restrictor to enter the engine, but also the restrictor itself could illegally be moved further from the turbo.

"The hose was fixed to the restrictor by a jubilee clip. A special tool was then applied to open the device and then the device then gripped in the open position by a second clip. Both of these clips had to be undone for a scrutineer to check the restrictor and in the process of opening those clips the device snapped shut.

"Inside it was beautifully made. The springs inside the hose had been polished and machined so not to impede the air which passed through. To force the springs open without the special tool would require substantial force. It is the most sophisticated and ingenious device either I or the FIA's technical experts have seen for a long-time. It was so well made that there was no gap apparent to suggest there was any means of opening it."

How did they get caught, though?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

CharlesM posted:

How did they get caught, though?

Officials just noticed the car was accelerating quicker than the rest by a large enough margin to raise suspicion.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
That is loving brilliant. It makes Yunick's basketball in the gas tank cheat look amateurish.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

That is loving brilliant. It makes Yunick's basketball in the gas tank cheat look amateurish.

It makes anything NASCAR did to cheat look like a joke. This was REALLY well thought out...

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 14, 2014

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

SocketSeven posted:

fixed to the restrictor by a jubilee clip.

Just googled jubilee clip, and my ignorant North American brain is once again confused by British automotive nomenclature. A hose clamp isn't really deserving of the term 'clip', and the preceding 'Jubilee' makes even less sense. The hell?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Still better than "jesus clips" AKA oetiker clamps.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Whoever came up with that shouldn't ever have a problem landing a job, that is amazing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Tommychu posted:

Just googled jubilee clip, and my ignorant North American brain is once again confused by British automotive nomenclature. A hose clamp isn't really deserving of the term 'clip', and the preceding 'Jubilee' makes even less sense. The hell?
Jubilee Clip is a just a trademark that has caught on as a generic term, along the lines of Kleenex, Styrofoam, etc.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ika posted:

Whoever came up with that shouldn't ever have a problem landing a job, that is amazing.

Driver is probably unemployed though, lacking any kind of restraint coming out of corners. :v:

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

kastein posted:

Still better than "jesus clips" AKA oetiker clamps.
I like that name. You try to put it in, it comes loose with a "ping!" and you go "Jesus!"

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

The thing about Yunick is his style though.

After tech inspection found 9 things wrong with his car before it raced, they came up to Yunick and told him of the problems he'd have to fix while they suspiciously examined his gas tank, having removed it from the car.

Yunick said "better make it 10" Hopped in his car started it up with no fuel tank in it, and drove back to his garage in the pits, because he had 5 gallons of gas in an 11 meter, 2 inch diameter fuel line.

Then he shoved the basketball in the tank to get his extra gas in anyway.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Yunick had no shame when it came to winning.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
How did the basketball thing work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

He inflated the basketball while officials checked the tank's capacity by filling it, then deflated it for the race to increase the capacity.

SocketSeven posted:

Yunick said "better make it 10" Hopped in his car started it up with no fuel tank in it, and drove back to his garage in the pits, because he had 5 gallons of gas in an 11 meter foot, 2 inch diameter fuel line.

11 meters would be a long-rear end fuel line indeed, even beyond what he was known for.