Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

chumbler posted:

God drat, that cover page.

The cover and the last page are both great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
New Oogami-san!

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Spiritus Nox posted:

Lots of tension and introspection between two women connected by the loss of a shared relative/loved one?

sorry i meant to respond to this earlier but then i got distracted and two weeks went by. i feel like yeah there's superficial similarities between the premises but the character dynamics are massively different and that's ultimately what defines both series for me. to me the comparison massively favors brother's wife because there's so much more to the character's personality and it's said so much about gay adolescence that h&m really... hasn't. it's not a fair comparison though because there's 10x more material out for brother's wife. i'm curious what h&m is doing so much better for you because i remember you posting to the same effect when only the first 2 or 3 chapters were out. to me in the early going h&m feels kind of... wish fulfillmenty? like, awkward introvert adult takes on teen girl who looks exactly like her childhood crush, but the teen girl is really precocious and kind of drags her through getting her life together enough to be responsible for two people. it's only around chapter 6 that there's more of a give and take and the girl starts acting more dependent (which makes sense in terms of her gradually opening up, not calling this poor character writing). since you keep bringing it up i'm curious what you see in it more than bro's wife since i didn't think there was much to it.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

DisDisDis posted:

sorry i meant to respond to this earlier but then i got distracted and two weeks went by. i feel like yeah there's superficial similarities between the premises but the character dynamics are massively different and that's ultimately what defines both series for me. to me the comparison massively favors brother's wife because there's so much more to the character's personality and it's said so much about gay adolescence that h&m really... hasn't. it's not a fair comparison though because there's 10x more material out for brother's wife. i'm curious what h&m is doing so much better for you because i remember you posting to the same effect when only the first 2 or 3 chapters were out. to me in the early going h&m feels kind of... wish fulfillmenty? like, awkward introvert adult takes on teen girl who looks exactly like her childhood crush, but the teen girl is really precocious and kind of drags her through getting her life together enough to be responsible for two people. it's only around chapter 6 that there's more of a give and take and the girl starts acting more dependent (which makes sense in terms of her gradually opening up, not calling this poor character writing). since you keep bringing it up i'm curious what you see in it more than bro's wife since i didn't think there was much to it.

I mean honestly you kind of summed it up yourself? I don't even mean to, like, substantially criticize Brother's Wife really, I don't have any actual serious problem with it, it's more that I feel like H&M starts from a similar place and goes for different stuff - how each of the two are processing the loss of their mutual loved one, their own unique regrets regarding Dead Mom, how they each kind of grapple with maybe seeing themselves or each other as something of replacement, etc - and I find the stuff that H&M is gesturing towards more personally interesting than most of what Brother's Wife has done for me in a while. H&M also seems like it might have maybe a bit more narrative focus and direction than Brother's Wife, which has felt pretty meandering to me for a while - which also feels largely by design, mind, so all the more power to it, it just makes it harder for me specifically to sustain my interest in it. I've bounced off of Kase-san a number of times for the same reason despite liking basically all of Kase-san's individual parts. And, yeah, all with the caveat of Brother's Wife having run miles farther than H&M.

Didn't mean to oversell the comparison, I just thought it was kind of interesting to me how they were both using a similar setup in different ways.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Sep 27, 2019

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

DisDisDis posted:

to me in the early going h&m feels kind of... wish fulfillmenty? like, awkward introvert adult takes on teen girl who looks exactly like her childhood crush, but the teen girl is really precocious and kind of drags her through getting her life together enough to be responsible for two people.

*nods*
h&m is that type of wish fufillment
brother's wife is wish fulfillment for wanting nozomi to be your wife

sage

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

this is one horny zoo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

kidcoelacanth posted:

this is one horny zoo

surprised this wasn't posted in reference to the one-shot by the author of pocha climb

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something, what is Shino so uncomfortable with again?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

I'm not sure if I'm forgetting something, what is Shino so uncomfortable with again?

I think she's worrying that she's sort of being used as a replacement for her brother rather than a separate person? I'm not entirely sure myself. Guess I need to reread.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I think talking with her coworker about her brother brought the grief bubbling up again, she wants to talk to Nozomi about it, but Nozomi completely failed to pick up on that and is unintentionally freaking her out with her cheerful attitude.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

chumbler posted:

I think she's worrying that she's sort of being used as a replacement for her brother rather than a separate person? I'm not entirely sure myself. Guess I need to reread.

Sorta, like Nozomi is ok right now because she does have her relationship with Shino to lean on which she is treated similar to the one she had with her husband, but I wouldn't go so far as she actually thinks of her as a replacement. Shino is freaking out because she doesn't get how she is OK, not realizing this, and is like "oh are we not in the same on this issue?"
Also there is some other stuff mix in there, like jealously, the scene at the festival with the other teacher was used here.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 28, 2019

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Sindai posted:

I think talking with her coworker about her brother brought the grief bubbling up again, she wants to talk to Nozomi about it, but Nozomi completely failed to pick up on that and is unintentionally freaking her out with her cheerful attitude.

Yeah, that's the impression I got. She's also scared that Nozomi could be moving on without her.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, that's the impression I got. She's also scared that Nozomi could be moving on without her.

This was my take as well, though I'll admit I don't remember the emotional context or whatever you want to call it of every single scene that shows up in the background.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
when there's a new tadakoro

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Bloom Into You actually ending next week? I thought there'd be a few more chapters still.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Cuntellectual posted:

Is Bloom Into You actually ending next week? I thought there'd be a few more chapters still.

Next week? That was the last chapter dude.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Brainamp posted:

Next week? That was the last chapter dude.

Oh, I haven't read it yet. drat. :(

On a different note, I am unsurprised but sad with this latest chapter of gal gohan.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

That's chapter 42 according to the headline, which is confusing because there's up to chapter 44 here and this seems to hint at at least one if not two more chapters based on the amount of chapters in past volumes and/or an epilogue?
I really look forward to reading it, but I don't wanna read it before it's actually finished..

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's chapter 42 according to the headline, which is confusing because there's up to chapter 44 here

Yes, it's actually chapter 45.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Sep 28, 2019

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

D. Ebdrup posted:

That's chapter 42 according to the headline, which is confusing because there's up to chapter 44 here and this seems to hint at at least one if not two more chapters based on the amount of chapters in past volumes and/or an epilogue?
I really look forward to reading it, but I don't wanna read it before it's actually finished..

Its mislabeled. That's the real actual final chapter.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ah, that clears things up. Thank you!

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

New Tropical Fish Someone give these girls a hug :smith:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Help I can't remember what they're angsting about anymore

At least the art is cute

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

StandardVC10 posted:

Help I can't remember what they're angsting about anymore

At least the art is cute

I wanna say Konatsu is still angsting about Koyaki leaving her behind. Koyaki is more a general "huh trying to be social is hard / social anxiety / other life stuff?"

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Ikou Nikki remains good

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah I really have a hard time reading that manga because it seems like it's eternally in angst mode and I dunno if it's the translation or just the story in general but I feel have a difficult time understanding what anyone's upset about at any point in time.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Glagha posted:

Yeah I really have a hard time reading that manga because it seems like it's eternally in angst mode and I dunno if it's the translation or just the story in general but I feel have a difficult time understanding what anyone's upset about at any point in time.

The author (as far as I can tell) exclusively makes shorter one or two volume self-contained stories, so Ikou Nikki is really entirely about the death of the parents and how the two main characters are responding to that. It's going to be short and full of upset people all they way through.

I really love it because I really connect to a lot of the emotional confusion in the story about like, how to feel about somebody dying, and how to feel about emotions and being an adult. It's very funny, naturalistic writing about an experience and a situation I find interesting. I do think I like it more because I'm almost certain it's going to be short and have a clear, planned ending though, because I know the story is actually going somewhere and it isn't like a mopey introspective slice of life that's just going to run in circles forever and then run out of steam.

If it does end up being one or two volumes in total maybe you should wait and read it all in one go, if you still want to try it? It might work better in one sitting.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination

Glagha posted:

They're grieving lol

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i'm in angst mode rn ahahaha

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm pretty sure they meant Nettaigyo and not Ikou Nikki.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Yeah sorry I should have specified I was talking about fish girls and not the other one, I didn't read that one.

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
Oh okay, it was confusing cause your post was directly after the other one.

Look, I have the same notebook as this manga character!

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Glagha posted:

Yeah sorry I should have specified I was talking about fish girls and not the other one, I didn't read that one.

I kinda feel the same, I picked it back up after Bloom Into You finished to try and fill the void but ehh....

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Part of the reason why I like fish girls is because the mangaka livestreams drawing it on youtube sometimes and it's cool seeing that process.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
part of reason why i like is because i am both gay and anxious

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
I'm just now reading the newest Vampeerx chapter and omg aria is a flustered vampire

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
When you want to get your "It is I, Dio!"-on but you're very dere. :kimchi:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
aria would kick dio's rear end

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

part of reason why i like is because i am both gay and anxious
I, too, am happy and anxious, so I'm obliged to like it too.

Also, I rewatched Joshiraku during the weekend (and found out the scanlation got finished over a year ago), but after I found the scanlation, I also found a very gay and somewhat anxious doujinshi although it might not be completely safe for work depending on where you work, so be warned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
3 new chapters of elf x boyish girlfriend and it continues to be my favorite new series even if it's very short

edit: holy poo poo I just noticed it's by the same author as My Demon King Doesn't Bite, that's fantastic and now I can definitely see the artstyle resemblance

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Sep 30, 2019