Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Well, I have successfully found and purchased just about the ugliest Delta fountain pen I've ever seen. Feels good, man, feels good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

grack posted:

Well, I have successfully found and purchased just about the ugliest Delta fountain pen I've ever seen. Feels good, man, feels good

Post it when it gets there.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Everytime I feel bad about giving in to my Id and buying something stupid, Grack spends my monthly income on another pen and makes me feel secure again.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Nine of Eight posted:

Everytime I feel bad about giving in to my Id and buying something stupid, Grack spends my monthly income on another pen and makes me feel secure again.

With some people and weird hobbies one has to wonder what they do for a living. For transparency, I buy pens and art supplies, file them as office supplies for my taxes, I work as a freelance software dev making almost six figgies.

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.
If they're not actually office supplies, you should not do that not tell the internet about it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Hello I'm a landlord and every one of you guys is paying for my lovely fountain pens. Futhermore

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Alright this post is going to kill the mystique a little bit, but what the hell.

The truth of the matter is that I work really hard at ensuring that my pen purchases aren't made with personal income. This could be a combination of any number of things like doing nib repair work, buying and selling pens, and online earnings from sites like Prizerebel/Swagbucks/Perk (RIP).

Taking my most recent purchase as an example;

At the beginning of November, I purchased a lot of three Sheaffer fountain pens for ~$100. The lot included a Snorkel Admiral, a (rather rare) Compact II, and a Touchdown II Imperial. All of the pens were fully functional but required nib work, and after repairs I sold the three for $225 in total. My Prizerebel earnings so far this month are ~$65.

The pen I purchased cost me ~$190 all in, so it was comfortably paid for with nothing out of pocket.

On average, these little extra curricular activities earn me a minimum of $150 a month and some months can be $350+, especially if I'm doing a lot of nib repair work. In August, for example, I did nib repair work that totaled $150. This means that I can afford to buy one rather nice pen every month, and sometimes two.

Another big part of it is that despite my rather scattershot posting, I'm actually pretty damned picky about what I buy. I do research on historical pricing on pens that I'm interested in purchasing and rarely go "ooh that's shiny hit the buy button". Sometimes it means I miss out on things, but there's always more poo poo to buy so it doesn't bother me that much. This means that I probably spend a lot less on things than people in this thread might expect. The most expensive pen I've ever purchased was $400, and most are closer to the $150-$250 range.

I'm also pretty aggressive in terms of protecting my interests. If I buy a used pen and the condition is worse than stated in the auction, I have no problem going back to the seller and trying to negotiate a discount or refund. Most sellers would rather negotiate than have to pay return shipping (especially from Canada).

There we go folks, a look behind the curtain. I will return to my standard "I bought another Delta" posts soon enough.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Woah; I thought your Deltas cost way more than that. I blame Visconti for making me think Italian = Pricey.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Oh, there are plenty of punishingly expensive Deltas floating around if that's the route I wanted to take. However, I've built a pretty good collection by being patient, so that's what I do.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Got the last of my pen order today:

Wing Sung 601s are some of my favorite pens and this one is no exception. The photo doesn't capture it well, but the sparkly-blue resin is also a little translucent.

grack posted:

The truth of the matter is that I work really hard at ensuring that my pen purchases aren't made with personal income. This could be a combination of any number of things like doing nib repair work, buying and selling pens, and online earnings from sites like Prizerebel/Swagbucks/Perk (RIP).

This is really interesting and I'm glad you're able to fund your hobby like this. How did you learn how to fix nibs? I can't even begin to think about how one would learn about grinding the tipping on nibs and whatnot.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Chip McFuck posted:

How did you learn how to fix nibs? I can't even begin to think about how one would learn about grinding the tipping on nibs and whatnot.

There are videos and other bits of information floating around to get you started. Richard Binder's "Nib Smoothing Workshop" is a good reference work to start with.

I then bought about 50 cheap, Chinese fountain pens, got micromesh and the like, and just practiced. Once I got the basics of nib smoothing down, I got a high-grit diamond stone and learned how to do grinding in just about the exact same way. It was immensely helpful that Lee Valley Tools carries all the abrasives I need, and there's one less than 10 minutes from where I live.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Snagged a TWSBI Vac700R Iris and now I am impatiently waiting for it to ship.

Kierena
Oct 15, 2010
Also it’s good to know that no matter what’s going on or how long I forget to log on , Grack is still buying Deltas. Thank you for being a constant in the thread dude.

The Electronaut
May 10, 2009

Kierena posted:

Also it’s good to know that no matter what’s going on or how long I forget to log on , Grack is still buying Deltas. Thank you for being a constant in the thread dude.

grack’s Delta purchases are a beacon in the dark.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Opinions on Diamine inks?

Specifically opinions on buying them in bulk before Brexit spikes the prices?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Diamine good

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
I've already got big bottles of Imperial Purple and Ancient Copper.

I'm thinking big bottle of Sherwood Green, and a bunch of smaller bottles. Suggestions for must-have colors?

(My go-to workhorse ink is Pilot 4001 so maybe I'm not super picky about my inks.)

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

effika posted:

Diamine good

It's this.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

endlessmonotony posted:

I'm thinking big bottle of Sherwood Green, and a bunch of smaller bottles. Suggestions for must-have colors?

(My go-to workhorse ink is Pilot 4001 so maybe I'm not super picky about my inks.)

I like Oxblood and Deep Dark Purple.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

endlessmonotony posted:

I grabbed the classical music edition and they're all really nice except for the boring-rear end blue.

meat glitter
Nov 12, 2019

HopperUK posted:

I like Oxblood and Deep Dark Purple.

seconding oxblood!! a cool rear end red

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Diamine Majestic Blue is a nice blue if you want Organics Studio Nitrogen, but not as extra as Nitrogen.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Thirding Oxblood, it's my go-to red (unless I want a primary mark-up kind of red). Very nice color. I was worried it would be too close to Ancient Copper based on swatches online but in reality they're more different than my crappy monitor led me to believe, I guess.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

Kierena posted:

The Electronaut posted:

grack’s Delta purchases are a beacon in the dark.

Oh, should I buy another Delta? I think you're saying that I should buy another Delta. Okay

*puts on lipstick and a miniskirt*

Time to go do some "nib work".

Pioneer42
Jun 8, 2010
I don't know why people talk about Oxblood being red. It is barely red. It's more of a not-black type of red. Ancient Copper is better if you want the red to stand out.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Really? Oxblood is like writing with actual blood. It's a very nice red. Ancient Copper is more of an orange/brown IMO.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Oxblood is nothing like writing with actual blood in any way, shape or form. The color is nowhere near.

Also don't put blood in your fountain pen, it will clog badly. Use a dip pen.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

endlessmonotony posted:

Also don't put blood in your fountain pen, it will clog badly. Use a dip pen.

Anticoagulants are cheap and plentiful, as are totally legitimate doctors of human medicine willing to practice remotely over the internet in these socially distanced times, just saying.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Does this not look like a solid red? And similar to oxygenated blood?

https://www.gouletpens.com/products/diamine-oxblood-80ml-bottled-ink

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Lowness 72 posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. Does this not look like a solid red? And similar to oxygenated blood?

You're crazy. Or using a very lovely screen.

And blood doesn't dry red.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Lowness 72 posted:

It looks more like unoxygenated blood or blood that had started to dry out a bit but isn't actually dry

Blood

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

duh you're all talking about human blood. i think you'll find when you cut open an ox it looks just like that ink

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Sankis posted:

duh you're all talking about human blood. i think you'll find when you cut open an ox it looks just like that ink

I've seen plenty of human blood spilled, and ox blood too. And way more pig's blood than either.

None of them are anywhere close.

If you want to write with blood, go out and buy a bottle. Pig's blood is neither rare nor expensive.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
It's the color of oxblood leather

I mean

:thejoke: right

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Anyone got a recommendation for a rich, warm, brown ink? Feel like switching up from my usual greens, blues, and blacks.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Haven't personally used it but Iroshizuku inks have never steered me wrong and the Tsukushi looks pretty nice.

Dad Hominem
Dec 4, 2005

Standing room only on the Disco Bus
Fun Shoe

Chip McFuck posted:

Anyone got a recommendation for a rich, warm, brown ink? Feel like switching up from my usual greens, blues, and blacks.

Pelikan 4001 Brown?

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
KWZ Honey is a beautiful brown that shades nicely, and it looks and smells just like the specific honey McDonald's serves, which may be a pro or con depending on how you feel about inks that smell - it's not a scented ink per se, because it doesn't hold the smell once it dries, but you'll notice it while you write with it. If you want something a little more sepia toned, J. Herbin's Lie de Thé is quite nice and vintage looking.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Heath posted:

KWZ Honey
i have no reason to get this ink except wow it's pretty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumNinja
Mar 8, 2013

Trust me.
I pretend to be a ninja.
The best brown ink I've ever used is Colorverse's Jupiter Flyby. It's jaw-droppingly beautiful. The hints of purple and the way it pools into a weird coppery green are sublime. (See picture six here: https://www.gouletpens.com/products/colorverse-voyager-1-set-limited-edition). That said, as far as I know you can only get it in the Voyager set and it's pricy for the quantity.

QuantumNinja fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Nov 18, 2020