Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

mune posted:

So I'm deploying early next year and would like to have a good laptop to play games on. I'm not too concerned about money as it'll probably be one of my only expenses all year so I'm probably okay paying about ~1500, maybe more if it's totally-the-best-deal-ever.
Wait as long as you can and see what falls out of the Skylake tree. Then pick up a Clevo with some form of i5/i7 CPU and a 970m/980m and a SSD with a 1080p IPS screen that meets your desired budget. That'll get the job done, it won't look like total rear end, and they're generally not terribly expensive when compared to boutique things like Razor or Alienware laptops.

Not sure where you're going, but for every deployment I've been on/heard of outside of a MEU or "deployment" to Germany/other allied country, almost everyone who goes thinking they're going to use the laptop for gaming ends up just using it for movies 90% of the time. YMMV, but it's something to think about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

I'll jump on the clevo train, there are plenty of cool understated designs... Here is one example in your price range.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hadlock posted:

I think RMA stands for return to manufacturer authorization, so the loading dock knows what to do with it when it arrives.
The "M" actually stands for Material, return material authorization.

RGA is commonly used too, for Goods.

Not that it makes a difference.

We now return to your scheduled programming!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
In a similar situation. My wife and I will be moving to Finland for at least a couple years. Probably be leaving in April, so I won't be buying anything until the new year most likely. However I am looking for something powerful and wouldn't be opposed to spending 2K or so on it. However, I don't really know a whole lot outside RAM and video cards when it comes to laptops, so I'm not sure what I should be looking for, or even which sites to look on (I think cyberpower was the last site I had used to look at ideas).

I guess what I need to know is what point I should start my actual shopping between now and April, and what to avoid for a strong gaming machine (that Clevo link posted above looks pretty great).

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Looks like shipping for Surface Books are all 7-8 weeks out now. Either MS didn't have much stock for the first production run or they're doing well on pre-orders. Probably a mix of both.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Kaddish posted:

Looks like shipping for Surface Books are all 7-8 weeks out now. Either MS didn't have much stock for the first production run or they're doing well on pre-orders. Probably a mix of both.

Definitely think it's a mix of both. The top model sold out in a couple days and I can't imagine they had made more than a few thousand. People were suggesting it was corporate buyers but I don't know what would make them jump on the first gen of a pretty definitively overpriced machine en masse.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 19, 2015

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A hybrid is also almost completely useless for corporate users.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Doesn't matter, sales and ceos all want two of them (one to park on a desk permanently, one to take home) right loving now.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Incidentally, I didn't see it mentioned here but apparently the GPU in the Surface Book is sub-940m level.

quote:

1GB of dedicated GDDR5 memory, 954MHz base clock speed, 16 ROPs, and 384 shaders.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Aphrodite posted:

A hybrid is also almost completely useless for corporate users.

Can concur: Docks are King.

mune
Sep 23, 2006

DrDork posted:

Wait as long as you can and see what falls out of the Skylake tree. Then pick up a Clevo with some form of i5/i7 CPU and a 970m/980m and a SSD with a 1080p IPS screen that meets your desired budget. That'll get the job done, it won't look like total rear end, and they're generally not terribly expensive when compared to boutique things like Razor or Alienware laptops.

Not sure where you're going, but for every deployment I've been on/heard of outside of a MEU or "deployment" to Germany/other allied country, almost everyone who goes thinking they're going to use the laptop for gaming ends up just using it for movies 90% of the time. YMMV, but it's something to think about.

Satellit3 posted:

I'll jump on the clevo train, there are plenty of cool understated designs... Here is one example in your price range.

Thanks guys! I really appreciate the quick help!

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Aphrodite posted:

Incidentally, I didn't see it mentioned here but apparently the GPU in the Surface Book is sub-940m level.

Is anyone expecting this to be a gaming machine? The dgpu is more interesting for rendering/encoding in Adobe programs then the integrated versions alone which is why I'd spring for it over the other models.

It's the opposite thing you'd want if you need a desktop style gaming laptop.

Actual in depth reviews and messing with one in a MS store will be what sells me, though I'm kind of excited to see what happens in the windows 2 in 1 market if this thing is super popular. I've been using the asus android 2n1 form factor since 2011 so it's about time for some way better options (and yes, I've looked at all the previous 2 and 1s android and windows alike, even "almost" stuff like the surface/pros)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

zer0spunk posted:

Is anyone expecting this to be a gaming machine?

No, but... the 950/60 is a nice standard at the moment for a good dGPU that's not absurd and bulk-requiring, so it's disappointing when a dGPU is a feature and it's less than that.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Oct 19, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!

Kaddish posted:

Mine got charged this AM, I'm thinking they are getting shipped via ground today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

zer0spunk posted:

Is anyone expecting this to be a gaming machine?

Some upthread, yeah.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

MikeJF posted:

No, but... the 950/60 is a nice standard at the moment for a good dGPU that's not absurd and bulk-requiring, so it's disappointing when a dGPU is a feature and it's less than that.

Considering how thin the keyboard is (where the dgpu is housed) I can cut them some slack on size and thermals. A sort of better 940m isn't the worst thing in the world, and someone mentioned Dx12 Multiadapter, which combines dgpu and igpu, so who knows, it might be as viable as a low end/midrange laptop on that front. I'm guessing they focused more on the compute in the dGpu, but without real reviews we're all just kinda guessing still.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I read it should perform about 10% better than the 940 based on bandwith speed? I'm not super familiar with all that goes into dGPU performance though.

edit: It is making me question whether I should be getting the SB with the dGPU or not. However, I did also read that with DX12 the iGPU and the dGPU working in tandem means a pretty big leap in performance. To be fair, I'm not expecting to game on it (I barely play as it is).

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Do we actually know if it is a Quadro or a GeForce based card? Quadro would actually make sense if they really trying to push this as a business device.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
There should be a Venn diagram in the OP that reads "LIGHT/THIN, GOOD BATTERY LIFE, GAMING POWER: Pick Two"...

Think about it this way, normally you'd be getting a 520 only as the iGPU right? so this dGPU will be almost 3x times as powerful. I don't know what planet you guys were living on that had 970/980m expectations. It's a convertible ultrabook y'all!

bigmandan
Sep 11, 2001

lol internet
College Slice
I needed a laptop for general web development purposes and decided on the new XPS 13". Final price was around $2k (Canuck Bucks) Options: i5, QHD+, 256 GB SSD. Looks like the "expected" delivery date is around 2015-11-09. I was thinking about getting the USB 3.0 "Dell Adapter", but I think I'm going to wait until the Thunderbolt Dock is released.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Don't know if anyone posted this recently, HP came out with a surface pro competitor

https://www.hp.com/go/spectrex2
pcworld preview http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987067/tablet-pc/hp-spectre-12-x2-hands-on-surface-pro-like-performance-without-the-surface-pro-price.html

12" 1920x1280 (3:2 ratio!)
wacom(!) digitizer but pen is sold separately
Core M 6th gen(iffy but m7 geekbench seems pretty fast)
Verizon LTE modem surprisingly standard
keyboard included(yay!)
even has those funny intel cameras but rear facing so useless for windows hello login

Right now, they're offering a promo "September25" for 25% off of $999 or "September30" for 30% off of $1199

I ordered one with the m7 and 256 ssd and pen for 850 bucks after coupon which seems decent. I have a skylake XPS 13 on order too.

Time to play with both while waiting for black friday to see if there's any better deals.

G-Philez
Feb 11, 2005
Drinking, Driving, Thinking of You
Yesterday I was an idiot and broke my laptop screen. I can definitely go onto eBay and order a $50 replacement screen, but I have had the system since the Windows 7 launch and am now considering a whole new system instead. The one that has caught my eye right now is the Lenovo Flex3 15 - 80JM002MUS. The key selling points are the 15.6" touchscreen and 5th Gen i7 processor with a dedicated GPU. It usually bugs me going from my ultra fast desktop to a far slower laptop. My busted laptop is an HP DV-1362NR. Following the link in the original post I found the Flex3 15 - 80JM002MUS for $789.

I am a Mathematics major at UT Dallas and do have classes that require the use of a laptop from Computer Science classes to Statistics (programming in R) so far. Also I just want something that will be fun to use in between. The flip style seems pretty cool, and I just hope that it is a solid enough design.

I looked at more expensive options from Lenovo, but I would like to keep it in the ballpark of this unit's price. Any other recommendations, or is this a nice find?

Edit: I went with the HP Star Wars Special Edition Touch 15t-an000. I totally geeked out when I saw it, and the specs are very good for the price point.

G-Philez fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 20, 2015

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

lostleaf posted:

Don't know if anyone posted this recently, HP came out with a surface pro competitor

https://www.hp.com/go/spectrex2
pcworld preview http://www.pcworld.com/article/2987067/tablet-pc/hp-spectre-12-x2-hands-on-surface-pro-like-performance-without-the-surface-pro-price.html

12" 1920x1280 (3:2 ratio!)
wacom(!) digitizer but pen is sold separately
Core M 6th gen(iffy but m7 geekbench seems pretty fast)
Verizon LTE modem surprisingly standard
keyboard included(yay!)
even has those funny intel cameras but rear facing so useless for windows hello login

Right now, they're offering a promo "September25" for 25% off of $999 or "September30" for 30% off of $1199

I ordered one with the m7 and 256 ssd and pen for 850 bucks after coupon which seems decent. I have a skylake XPS 13 on order too.

Time to play with both while waiting for black friday to see if there's any better deals.

This kind of proves that Microsoft needed to do it themselves, because now others are actually trying to compete.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I couldn't get the coupon codes to work on the new Spectres after adding them to my cart.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HalloKitty posted:

This kind of proves that Microsoft needed to do it themselves, because now others are actually trying to compete.

Didn't Google basically do the same thing with the Nexus phone and tablet, and then all of a sudden bam! we have good Android phones and tablets?

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Calidus posted:

I couldn't get the coupon codes to work on the new Spectres after adding them to my cart.

I should have been more specific. They have to be customized orders. Dont order the prebuilt ones. Also the 25% off is 1000+ and the 30% is 1200+.

Either that or HP figured it out and stopped the coupon.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

Didn't Google basically do the same thing with the Nexus phone and tablet, and then all of a sudden bam! we have good Android phones and tablets?

And the Pixel Chromebook. 1080p Chromebooks weren't a thing before that.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ynglaur posted:

That was more Samsung.

The other manufacturers still don't care about Google's design guidleines.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Total speculation but from what little experience I have with designing consumer hardware, unless you work for a giant company like Google or Apple they don't pay designers worth poo poo so you get a bunch of people with no training copying the other people who are just making it up as you go along. If you build a reference design, along with some design notes, like, "don't do this, otherwise when you drop it the force will be transmitted in to the screen and crack it", then even poorly translated, those copies of copies are at least descended from a superior device with good design practices.

I worked for a headphone manufacturer and you could pick from about 200 designs and then specify your color, cord type, etc. If you supplied them with a pair of headphones, they would disassemble them and create injection molds from that, with whatever modifications you needed.

Without a reference design, it's just the blind following the blind, making copies of copies of copies.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

MSI started shipping their new 14" Gaming laptop, seems like really great specs at the price point. http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-now-shipping-GS40-Updates-GT80-Titan-with-GTX-980-SLI-graphics.152331.0.html

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Seems ok but couldn't they take the mechanical drive out and fit a bigger battery?

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
Is this the right thread to get a price check? Or is just discussion?

To afford the surface book I need to sell my existing Sager NP8235 / Clevo P151SM1.
15.6" 1920x1080 matte
i7-4800MQ
2x8GB+2x4GB DDR3
GTX770m
250GB samsung 840, 1TB spinner, 120GB M500
In good condition, but its seen normal usage so its not pristine. Any thoughts on what I would get for it?

Also top section of the first post needs to be updated since its still 2015 and plenty of skylake chips are out.

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Oct 21, 2015

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I'm looking into getting an excellent gaming laptop under $1000 to replace my battered, lovely Satellite P75-A200 within this or next year. Bonus if it has a battery life longer than 4 hours average. What should I get, and are there good sales around Christmas?

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

ilkhan posted:

To afford the surface book I need to sell my existing Sager NP8235 / Clevo P151SM1.
15.6" 1920x1080 matte
i7-4800MQ
2x8GB+2x4GB DDR3
GTX770m
In good condition, but its seen normal usage so its not pristine. Any thoughts on what I would get for it?

Also top section of the first post needs to be updated since its still 2015 and plenty of skylake chips are out.

Yeah this probably isn't the right thread for price checks. That being said what's your usage plans for the surface book? The gpu in the dock is a modified 940m (people finally got to look at it in gpu-z). It has slightly slower core clocks and faster ram clocks. If you still want to play pc games it's not going to be faster than that sager.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Photex posted:

MSI started shipping their new 14" Gaming laptop, seems like really great specs at the price point. http://www.notebookcheck.net/MSI-now-shipping-GS40-Updates-GT80-Titan-with-GTX-980-SLI-graphics.152331.0.html

I had 860m version with a 1600x900 screen. It played games well, but 14" is just to small for normal usage.

This updated version is drat good bang for buck for portability and size. You can get similarly spec'd laptops for less, but no weight wise. You get an M.2 x4 slot, SATA 3 slot, and 32GB max ram.

The biggest upside with this update is that they added a USB port to the right hand side. The original version only had two USB on the left hand side. As well as no optical drive at all.

For $750 you can throw in a Samsung SM951 M.2 512 and a Samsung 850 Pro 1TB and have a kick rear end fast portable laptop.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Oct 21, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

ilkhan posted:

15.6" 1920x1080 matte
i7-4800MQ
2x8GB+2x4GB DDR3
GTX770m

Unless it's got an Apple on the back its resale value is going to be poo poo. Plus Sager isn't really known outside enthusiasts so you're probably going to have to sell it online and even then gaming laptops are pretty niche.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

ilkhan posted:

15.6" 1920x1080 matte
i7-4800MQ
2x8GB+2x4GB DDR3
GTX770m

Somewhere between $200 and $500. Look up the T540 i7 model on eBay and price it against that. My guess is that you end up within $50 of $380. Laptops are like underwear, everyone needs one but the resale value of a used one is near zero.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Would the Dell Inspiron i7559-763BLK be an excellent choice for a new Christmas laptop?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

ilkhan posted:

15.6" 1920x1080 matte
i7-4800MQ
2x8GB+2x4GB DDR3
GTX770m

Probably half of what you would like to get for it. Sager/Clevo makes some great machines, but they're niche enough they don't have great resell. I've owned three and sold the first two. In both cases, I could probably have made more by selling the parts individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

havenwaters posted:

Yeah this probably isn't the right thread for price checks. That being said what's your usage plans for the surface book? The gpu in the dock is a modified 940m (people finally got to look at it in gpu-z). It has slightly slower core clocks and faster ram clocks. If you still want to play pc games it's not going to be faster than that sager.
That I know. Im getting it to have portability, the sager is a brick.

And welp. If its that low I may just say screw it and keep it as a backup/semi-mobile-gamer.