Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I'm not going to complain about COINs that actually try to portray conflicts that the system is suited for: 20th century counter-insurgencies and literally nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Caesar BTFO, taking his cubes back to Provincia and going home.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I think I have three or four versions of Gettysburg and I didn't need another one until Flying Pig Games offered one with a really interesting map and larger-than-usual counters for old people like me. I wish I had the room for the huge map they offered but I haven't been able to play on a 4' x 6' board since I moved out of my parents.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
So how's everybody doing?

You've just bought another dust trap..and shaved off an inch of your soul.

Content: Got Nevsky in the recent GMT sale. Seems cool.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I'm only played Hungarian Rhapsody with tom since the pandemic started, and it was pretty good overall, although the Axis are in a really dire position. I'm looking forward to receiving Pacific War at some point as well.

As for Nevsky: it's really good. I really want to get a few more games of it in because I really liked the operational aspects of it, I think it really delivers on what a campaign in that theatre must have unfolded.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

dishwasherlove posted:

Caesar BTFO, taking his cubes back to Provincia and going home.

Yeah he really crossed the cubeicon there

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
I've got Enemy Action: Kharkov in pre-orders, as well as Pacific War and Downfall. Supply chain hell probably means they might be a while, though.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I haven't had time to actually play anything in ages but BCS Panzers Last Stand should arrive in mail any day now :toot:

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Tekopo posted:

As for Nevsky: it's really good. I really want to get a few more games of it in because I really liked the operational aspects of it, I think it really delivers on what a campaign in that theatre must have unfolded.

That's part of why I went for it. It seems to capture the "pace and considerations", I guess, of a campaign like that better than most.

Also have Pac War and the Vietnam reprint on pre-order but yeah...with supply chain stuff there's really no telling when they might turn up.

This BGG thread has some info: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/121565/game-production-and-shipping-woes-round

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Erghh posted:

So how's everybody doing?

You've just bought another dust trap..and shaved off an inch of your soul.

Content: Got Nevsky in the recent GMT sale. Seems cool.

Nice. I p500's the next game in the series, Almoravid, based on some recommendations about Nevsky, but I haven't had a chance to try it because it wasn't there when I looked. But that was when I had people to game with.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I've got a good pile of stuff from Against The Odds I'm behind on reading through. The Vendee annual just dropped, and that looks pretty solid.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

First post under a thread made by someone who was really happy to find a cheap copy of Conquistador (released in 1976). I hate the people in this loving hobby sometimes. OOHH CANCEL CULTURE IS COMING FOR YOUR 45 YEAR OLD BOARD GAME BOOGA BOOGA

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
"They" had nothing to do with it, of course; the hidden hand of the market spoke and the game died on the preorder vine. It seems people weren't into an African exploitation sim for some strange reason.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

I just picked up Thunderbolt Leader and played a game last night. First setup took longer than the actual mission. It was surprisingly enjoyable even though I got my rear end kicked by a pair of SAM's.

How do the other "leader" games from DVG compare?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Hornet Leader features non-decisions, like the option not to carry ECM, or the option to use Hornets, the worst planes in it.

Oh, and if you play a marine squadron with only Harriers, there's one campaign where you can be locked into either attacking a fleet using a couple of tiny bombs, or attacking a stronger fleet, or trying to intercept bomber formations with guns and short-range missiles.

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

Yooper posted:

I just picked up Thunderbolt Leader and played a game last night. First setup took longer than the actual mission. It was surprisingly enjoyable even though I got my rear end kicked by a pair of SAM's.

there are some handy play aids for setup on BGG. So at a glance you can see which weapons can go on which aircraft, making that loudout step a bit quicker. I really like TAL and have found the play aids very handy. Cant speak for the others in the series tho sorry.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

TAL Is the only good leader game IMO. It has a mixture of interesting decisions both in terms of doing loadouts/planning as well as doing the missions themselves, which are an interesting puzzle of ridgelines and lines of sight. It also improves on every other game in the Leader series by separately modeling both the status of the craft itself and the pilot: in other Leader games, the pilot and the aircraft are melded together, which isn't as rewarding although it requires less micro-management. The reason for this is because most other Leader games don't try to model operations from bases that have both scarcity of pilots and equipment like TAL does, but I still think overall splitting the two is more interesting and leads to more accurate control over the team you are leading.

There's an iOS implementation of one of the Leader game: it's a bad implementation but I still think you might as well get it if you are keen to try any other Leader games, but honestly I wouldn't recommend any apart from TAL.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Played a back and forth(one game as Japanese, one game as Allies) of the playtest of Burma- the second of Empire of the Sun's mini games.

So, for plusses, between two skilled players on Vassal, we got it done easily in less than two hours both times, in fact the second game took an hour, though it didn't go the distance.

However, right now the scenario is wildly Allied-favored. The Japanese position is incredibly brittle and there's not a lot putting the brakes on Allied action but even if the Allies took a nap the Japanese would struggle to make their VP threshhold.

Here's a gif of game 2 if you're interested:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Hornet Leader is fine for a few hours of puzzling but pretty quickly you get the gist and realise there's not a bunch of interesting decisions to be made.

Agree that TAL is the best of the bunch, all the others are basically reskinned Hornet Leader but not as good.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Yooper posted:

I have Phantom Leader and was perfectly entertained by it. I did a Let's Play of the Cuba campaign a year or two ago.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

The designer for "Give Us Victories" a game recreating the Chancellorsville campaign just posted the final map and it's big and it's beautiful.

Link to see more detail.
https://www.dsimula.com/guvmap

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Yeah, that’s a real beauty. The detail in the waterways caught my eye.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
The map's excellent, I hope they can match the GCACW offering in quality of gameplay.

Though, Longstreet wasn't at Chancellorsville. He and two divisions were coming up from Suffolk.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
On the topic of the x leaders series, how about the ground based ones? Sherman and Tiger Leader any good ?

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Panzeh posted:

Though, Longstreet wasn't at Chancellorsville. He and two divisions were coming up from Suffolk.

Though it isn't mentioned, what If variants are huge for stretch goals now with kickstarters so it's probably going to show up in the rules.

This is the one for A Most Fearful Sacrifice, the Gettysburg game with a huge-rear end map that looks like it was done with colored pencils.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Thank you, 30 years of playing Avalon Hill and Victory Games for the automatic translation of hot button topic CRT into "combat results table"

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
I’m very anti-CRT, I hate calculating combat strength ratios

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

Thank you, 30 years of playing Avalon Hill and Victory Games for the automatic translation of hot button topic CRT into "combat results table"

Same.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Everybody knows the IIFT is superior.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Jobbo_Fett posted:

you're not fat enough to qualify as "everybody"

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Sorry, if it doesn't involve flipping the top card off the deck to see the roll in my tactical games, i'm not interested.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Anyone have favorites from Hollandspiele? I'm am looking at some of their war games on top of getting Meltwater and either The Vote or This Guilty Land when the sale hits this month.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Infamous Traffic is quite good if you can get your mind around the fact that the game isn't an ecomonic game but it is as well.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Panzeh posted:

Sorry, if it doesn't involve flipping the top card off the deck to see the roll in my tactical games, i'm not interested.

percent-to-hit is the way and the light :colbert:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Tekopo posted:

Infamous Traffic is quite good if you can get your mind around the fact that the game isn't an ecomonic game but it is as well.

Looks like that's OOP on their site as of Dec 2019

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Tevery Best posted:

you're not fat enough to qualify as "everybody"

ADG just released it's newest expansion "Jobbo_Fett in Flames"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah Amabel released the rights back to Cole and he's planning on a reprint/revision afaik

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

NC Wyeth Death Cult posted:

ADG just released it's newest expansion "Jobbo_Fett in Flames"

:lol:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Slimy Hog posted:

Anyone have favorites from Hollandspiele? I'm am looking at some of their war games on top of getting Meltwater and either The Vote or This Guilty Land when the sale hits this month.

Same. I was wondering about Table Battles - anybody enjoying that one? And also if I'm getting a PnP from wargamevault, can I just get an expansion with appealing settings or do I still need the base game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

rchandra posted:

Same. I was wondering about Table Battles - anybody enjoying that one? And also if I'm getting a PnP from wargamevault, can I just get an expansion with appealing settings or do I still need the base game?

Can’t answer the second question as I only have the base set and first expansion, but I really enjoy it - the dice can be frustrating, but in a way that maps to line command and it can be surprisingly engrossing for what is truly a filler length game.