Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Jedit posted:

Arguably Kickstarter is turning into a bubble. I've heard a lot of people saying they don't mind buying a game with the exclusives on spec because they'll be able to flip it if they don't like it.

Yeah, this is definitely true. It's a lovely trend too, like preorder exclusives in video games. I don't bother with any Kickstarter that has KS exclusive content (but I've only backed two things total anyways).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

bobvonunheil posted:

[EDIT] I don't particularly like either AF or Kingsburg though, so they are weak recommendations. [...] AF doesn't let players think about their turns ahead of time, which leads to major AP.

I agree but it's a shame. Alien Frontiers (which has kinda grown on me) can go so much faster if the players would just plan a... I don't know, a mild meta-strategy I guess? There is major AP from players rolling then going all "what are all the possible things I could do and how do they all compare to each other?" but really there should only be a limited number of things that make sense to do if you know what general direction your play needs to go.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Well, I think a bubble in it's most general sense is when something is intrinsically worth less than what the market perceives because of some transient trend. I could see that a bit with boardgames in the sense that the market could get pretty diluted with very similar games that are published at low risk via kickstarter but reduce the margins of the pros. They could also lower the average quality of games the consumer is exposed to, like Faidutti suggests.

Which is funny because thats what caused the video game crash of the 70s. Barrier to entry was so low, that anybody with enough money for a PC and a month's time could get a game ready to sell. Clones were rampant and the market was flooded with garbage. With no real source of reviews like we have today, people got burned on 1 or 2 bad games and stopped buying altogether.

Thank god we are past all THAT nonsense. *opens the games section of the itunes store* :v:

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
I played Colloseum the other night and man, I wish it wasn't out of print and selling for $150 on eBay. :smith:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

What are the easy old ones / strong investigators in Eldritch Horror? My gf and I have played 3 times and gotten our asses whipped 3 times. Interested in trying an easier game with each of us playing 2 investigators.

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Lorini posted:

The Voyages of Marco Polo is excellent in that space.

Great. It looks like I found my next purchase.

Thanks

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
The Psychic and Hunky Shirtless Sailor are pretty good, I recall...

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

alg posted:

What are the easy old ones / strong investigators in Eldritch Horror? My gf and I have played 3 times and gotten our asses whipped 3 times. Interested in trying an easier game with each of us playing 2 investigators.

Azatoth is pretty easy, he doesn't do a whole lot. The only caveat is most of his mysteries require a number of clues, so you have to position someone in london to spawn them to make it a bit easier.

If you have the psychic and the spy girl you basically have a clue generation machine though, so YMMV. Yog is also fairly simple provided you handle his gates quickly, so you'd want the shaman character.

Really each GOO has something they do a lot of and some characters are better to handle them than others, but you can't go wrong with the psychic and the sailor either, the sailor has pretty nutty mobility.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 17, 2015

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

alg posted:

A couple of things - you want one person with high lore because spells are incredibly powerful. You also want well rounded characters who can do lots of challenges and events.

The biggest determinant of difficulty is the Mythos deck. Cards with blue symbols are generally good and make the game easier. Cards with tentacles are assholes and make the game much harder. Neutral cards tend to be bad, but not terrible.

Gates are also something that need to be controlled. Try not to let the doom track move too much. Having four investigators will help, as will having a lore character with the teleport spell to get people where they need to be.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

alg posted:

Azathoth, as mentioned, is probably the easiest since he has the longest clock and he doesn't do much of anything except maybe makes the clock go faster. But beware of his one research encounter that, upon failure, causes you to reshuffle a Mystery back in the deck. It sucks.

Also as mentioned, I'm fairly certain the game was designed around 4 characters, so just use two each when you play. I like using the rich guy (Kane?) since he can just dole out a lot of early game assets while sitting in San Francisco so that he can get some skillups. He is less useful later once everyone is kitted out, but he can at least cover North America. Ideally you'd want one dude to kill monsters with weapons, one dude to do magic tricks, and one dude to close gates.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One thing I appreciated about Eldritch Horror is how differently the game plays with the different decks of old ones. Our first few games were played against Azathoth, the first game totally sucked because we treated clues like we did in Arkham Horror (that is, using them mainly to buff and mitigate rolling). In EH there aren't enough clues to do that with. Besides, clues are needed for other things like solving mysteries - especially against Azathoth. In EH you're expected to "level up" your character a bit via skill buffs and some shopping.

Anyway, we went from Azathoth to the Black Goat and hoooo nelly we got our clocks cleaned. Combat's suddenly a thing we need to worry about because MONSTERS, MONSTERS EVERYWHERE. It played very differently and the board & play wound up completely different than versus Azathoth.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Mister Sinewave posted:

One thing I appreciated about Eldritch Horror is how differently the game plays with the different decks of old ones. Our first few games were played against Azathoth, the first game totally sucked because we treated clues like we did in Arkham Horror (that is, using them mainly to buff and mitigate rolling).

Mountains of Madness I think added Focus as an action, which is essentially just a Clue to reroll something. It's another one of those handy "I'm just gonna burn an action while I'm farming for skill points" actions, like getting a train/plane ticket.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

bobvonunheil posted:

This is pretty interesting. I think the idea of a boardgaming bubble is a little ridiculous, because I haven't even heard of a single person who's buying boardgames in order to flip them for more cash later, which is the defining trait of a bubble.

You could also have overvalued game companies, rather than games themselves.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Can anyone tell me where and what those bottom 2 stickers are for and go?

I know the top one is for pets on the season board but I'm not sure about the other two.

HOLY gently caress sorry about that phone posting at it's finest.

I thought imgur downsizes images. I didn't think it would upload the whole giant thing.

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 17, 2015

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
It looks like both of them are used exclusively for needlessly huge images.

Taran_Wanderer
Nov 4, 2013
They go on the purple cylinder used to keep track of the game phases.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Taran_Wanderer posted:

They go on the purple cylinder used to keep track of the game phases.

Fair enough thanks

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

alg posted:

Have one of you take Charlie Kane. He is the most overpowered character in the game in his ability to buy poo poo and instantly ship it to other people and his presence will change the entire game.

Don't play the tutorial Old One, imo. He ends the game instantly at 0 Doom and that can actually be harder than some of the Doom Phases!

Remember to plan what you're doing around your stats. Have someone with high Will and Lore on gate duty. Have someone with high Will and Strength on combat duty - and remember that combat is the biggest, hardest thing in the game in terms of how many dice you need, so pump them up higher. High Strength and Observation is good for Expeditions. Influence is good for city actions, Observation for Clue actions. These aren't guaranteed, but are the hard and fast rules.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Stelas posted:

Have one of you take Charlie Kane. He is the most overpowered character in the game in his ability to buy poo poo and instantly ship it to other people and his presence will change the entire game.

Don't play the tutorial Old One, imo. He ends the game instantly at 0 Doom and that can actually be harder than some of the Doom Phases!

Remember to plan what you're doing around your stats. Have someone with high Will and Lore on gate duty. Have someone with high Will and Strength on combat duty - and remember that combat is the biggest, hardest thing in the game in terms of how many dice you need, so pump them up higher. High Strength and Observation is good for Expeditions. Influence is good for city actions, Observation for Clue actions. These aren't guaranteed, but are the hard and fast rules.

Usually you're boned if doom hits 0 anyway, Azatoth just doesn't make any bones about it and ends the game.

If you want a fair shot at artifacts generic wilderness encounters run 2nd place to expeditions for getting them in the base game. Don't write off generics as a whole, you might be better off doing that than a city specific encounter - they are basically a grab bag of what they can give you - skill ups, items etc. I would also go ahead and get the first expansion that they put out for the game since it doubles the amount of cards to go through in each encounter deck. Very worth it if you like the game.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

Sloober posted:

I would also go ahead and get the first expansion that they put out for the game since it doubles the amount of cards to go through in each encounter deck. Very worth it if you like the game.

Definitely this. You'll fairly easily get through an entire encounter deck in a single game with just the base game. Forsaken Lore is essential in this regard.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Me and some buddies are gonna go in together for Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Anything I should know going in? Are there any "must have" expansions?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Chomp8645 posted:

Me and some buddies are gonna go in together for Star Wars: Imperial Assault. Anything I should know going in? Are there any "must have" expansions?

Nothing really "must have" in the current expansions. What they offer is a physical miniature of a character or characters otherwise represented by a token included in the core game, a custom skirmish scenario (that's the 2 player head-to-head competitive mode for the game), and a new side mission for Campaigns. The side missions are nice to add more diversity to the campaigns, but aren't needed at all right away; the core game comes with enough different missions that you could play at least 2 full campaigns (consisting of ~a dozen missions I believe) and not play the same mission twice.

The second wave of expansions will actually start introducing new characters that the core game doesn't have any content for at all, and those will be much more worth buying once available. Pick up the 1st wave only if you can find them on sale.

For more info there's a FFG Star Wars thread where we talk about Imperial Assault and Armada (X-Wing and SW:LCG have their own threads).

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Merauder posted:

For more info there's a FFG Star Wars thread where we talk about Imperial Assault and Armada (X-Wing and SW:LCG have their own threads).

You know I've posted in that thread (recently even) but for some reason I just went straight here.

It's me, I am the bad poster.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One more thing about Eldritch Horror: Azathoth isn't necessarily the easiest but he IS the most straightforward.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sloober posted:

Usually you're boned if doom hits 0 anyway, Azatoth just doesn't make any bones about it and ends the game.

I've seen a few games rescued from Doom Phase, though, and it can help alleviate 'just one more turn' bad feeling. Cutting the game off at Doom 0 is more straightforward but I've always found it harder, and it's straight-up unfair if you get that one Mystery that requires you to close Gates on their symbol, which basically forces you to tank Doom.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

BJPaskoff posted:

I tried Smash Up and really liked it, so I immediately bought the core game and two expansions. After playing a few games, I quickly saw the flaws in it and now I really regret buying it. Some deck combos are completely broken, while others are awful together. I was playing a game with two other people, and had a Robots+Wizards deck going. If you've ever played Smash Up, you know how crazy this deck is; it just cycles through half the deck in a single turn, playing free minions and free spells while most other decks maybe play one, two, or three cards a turn if they're lucky. On the third turn or so, I realized that the other players were having a terrible time, and there's no strategy to counteract horribly busted decks.

The game store I judge Magic at is having a board game demo night every Monday. I tried Splendor and liked it a lot. Quick, simple game, and I even got a free set of those awesome-feeling poker chips for trying it out! Pretty high quality components in a game that costs $30.

Reading back ~10 pages, I saw you guys don't like Betrayal at House on the Hill, but my friends and I love it because it's a casual game we can gently caress around in and we even rope Magic players into playing. It's one of the rare games where the rules can be held off on explaining until they're relevant. Move equal to your speed, stop when you get a special tile; okay, here's how you do the skill check the card is asking for; the haunt started - here's how you do combat; etc. Some of the scenarios are skewed horribly to either the traitor or heroes, but some of them actually have fun strategies. Is there anything else out there like Betrayal that's more renowned in the board gamer community?

Welcome to board games I think? Take it slow, play a bunch of games with people before you go off and buy a base game + expansions for whatever, there's way better games out there. Splendor is almost the definition of an 'acceptable' baseline for eurogames for instance.

I think MtG trains you to spend a bunch of money on stuff that's of fleeting value and to accept kinda lovely design in a lot of ways. I've seen a lot of MtG players go through that exact Smash Up! experience because of this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
So I'm hanging with friends tonight, and I fear we may wind up playing munchkin. Someone just bought it and is intent on playing it. I'll be bringing some actual good games and will trying my best to ensure we play as little munchkin as possible, but it'll probably happen at least once. Any suggestions for rule changes to make it less terrible?

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

CodfishCartographer posted:

So I'm hanging with friends tonight, and I fear we may wind up playing munchkin. Someone just bought it and is intent on playing it. I'll be bringing some actual good games and will trying my best to ensure we play as little munchkin as possible, but it'll probably happen at least once. Any suggestions for rule changes to make it less terrible?

Drink heavily, set a hard 30 minute time limit, only play to level 7.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Make sure to help out one person exclusively, always give them a hand fighting battles even if they offer you nothing in return. Say that you are "role-playing in character" the game will end much more quickly.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Instead of discarding cards, burn them

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Bring a fun game and play it beside them. You'll probably get to show them several times how much fun you are having.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:killing:
You should drag out each one of your turns as long as possible, like, draw a card and then stare at it for five minutes or more, looking deliberately at your hand and back several times, then ask if what you drew is a monster or not, try to play a race or class on it no matter what it is, ask at random points (even when it isn't your turn) if you need to roll the die, and then do so no matter what you're told, spend everyone else's turn looking at your phone and always act surprised when it comes back to you, and most importantly during each and every combat, tell everyone to wait and then waste everyone's time looking carefully at the board and your hand before saying you can't do anything. Just do your best to drag it out into the most horrible, boring, time-sucking experience of everyone's lives* so that they will only ever remember it with disgust and refuse to play it again.

*even more so than Munchkin usually is

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Honestly, if you have a group that has never played Munchkin before you can have fun with it the first few times. It's only after a while of playing when everyone realizes to save all their cards to the end that it becomes a terrible game.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Allowing the last level to be bought helps Munchkin a little.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Reading about Fake Artist goes to New York and how the Chooser+Fake win if the Fake manages to guess the right answer, and how the odds of that are high if the word is simple, shouldn't the Chooser always pick a really easy word and count on the fake just guessing it even if they get found out?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Are there any recommendations for a good 2-player co-op game? Space Alert looks like it's only fun with groups of 3 or more, same with Arkham Horror (the only time I've played that was in a group of four and it was great). I have Netrunner, but my partner and I want something that we play "together" and not necessarily against each other. I know both of those games CAN be played with only 2 people, but I'd like something that actually does it well.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Flash Point and Ghost Stories are the two fully cooperative games that I'd consider excellent. Robinson Crusoe is good, but flawed. Beyond that, Pandemic and Eldritch Horror are decent, if a bit mechanically dull.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Drone posted:

Are there any recommendations for a good 2-player co-op game? Space Alert looks like it's only fun with groups of 3 or more, same with Arkham Horror (the only time I've played that was in a group of four and it was great). I have Netrunner, but my partner and I want something that we play "together" and not necessarily against each other. I know both of those games CAN be played with only 2 people, but I'd like something that actually does it well.

Not that I recommend arkham horror, but if you want to do 2p just take 2 characters each. It's probably better than 4p because you can coordinate better and you'll probably have less down time.

Also, Mage Knight is a pretty good co-op. The base game is good until you start routinely crushing it and the lost legion expansion has more co-op content.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

The End posted:

Flash Point and Ghost Stories are the two fully cooperative games that I'd consider excellent. Robinson Crusoe is good, but flawed. Beyond that, Pandemic and Eldritch Horror are decent, if a bit mechanically dull.

Pretty much 100% agreed as far as 'standard' co-ops go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I've heard good things about the Lord of the Rings LCG, though I've only played it once long ago so I don't really remember much.