Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Peztopiary posted:

Play Tactics because Deathclaws are our friends. I really wish they'd kept that, because a Deathclaw companion would be aces.

If its true that one of the Charisma perks involves training a mutated animal into either being your permanent friend or protect a settlement, it could very well include turning a F04 Deathclaw into an ally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Too bad the dialog won't be tied to stats more. It'd be great if pressing that dialog option would give a thought-out reason to dislike newspapers if you had high intelligence, and if you had no intelligence you would literally just say HATE NEWSPAPERS. NEWSPAPER BAD.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I would've hoped that after the ridiculousness of LA Noire's simplified dialogue options (i.e. pressing "doubt" could sometimes make Phelps go full autist and say something extremely abrasive. Sometimes it was reasonable, but you never knew beforehand) that devs would avoid that poo poo. Welp.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I would've hoped that after the ridiculousness of LA Noire's simplified dialogue options (i.e. pressing "doubt" could sometimes make Phelps go full autist and say something extremely abrasive. Sometimes it was reasonable, but you never knew beforehand) that devs would avoid that poo poo. Welp.

That was entirely due to the fact that they changed the words for the buttons but kept the responses the same, had they remained unchanged his reactions would have made a lot more sense. They were 'Coax, Force, and Lie' instead of 'Truth, Doubt, and Lie'

SWTOR has loads of weird simplified nonsense, though. Apparently 'Sounds Fun' translates to 'It'll be like terrorizing children!'

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Even 4 will likely have some dialogue choices that will confuse the poo poo out players and I can't wait to find them and laugh at them.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HATE TRUNCATION

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Fina posted:

Too bad the dialog won't be tied to stats more. It'd be great if pressing that dialog option would give a thought-out reason to dislike newspapers if you had high intelligence, and if you had no intelligence you would literally just say HATE NEWSPAPERS. NEWSPAPER BAD.
Wait, what? Where was this confirmed?

Considering the enhanced importance of SPECIAL I would think there would be more stat-based dialog.

Edit: Nevermind I read "tied to stats anymore" instead of what you wrote.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Fallout 4 preorder on Xbox: 59.99
Fallout 4 season pass: 29.99

Fallout 4 Digital Deluxe: 89.99

Can someone explain why I'm paying an extra penny for the bundle? Does it come with anything else or is it literally just saving me a click for one cent?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

JoshTheStampede posted:

Can someone explain why I'm paying an extra penny for the bundle? Does it come with anything else or is it literally just saving me a click for one cent?

penny profit mafuckah

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Fina posted:

You're no longer locked into dialog, so just pull the controller trigger instead of pressing X. Nothing says 'I hate book-learning' like a flamethrower.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

Because marketing rules dictate that $XX.99 is the superior pricing scheme for whatever reason (it's because idiots chop off the nines and see 'eighty dollars' instead of 'ninety dollars' and the '8' messes with that voodoo psychology).

Before anyone calls me a retard I urge you to think about the people in your lives that do that exact thing when looking at potential purchases. I dunno how effective it really is at that price but I know there's people that see "$5.99" and think 'oh five bucks.'

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This is my first year with a console since the PS1, so I'm not sure how good of a deal to expect on pre-ordering for the PS4. Right now my plan is to hold out until release date, but I'm not sure if there's any reasonable expectation of a retail deal somewhere.

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bethesda finally jumping up to DX11 gives me some hope at actually good atmospheric lighting and weather.

Hammy
May 26, 2006
umop apisdn
I think it has less to do with people seeing $5.99 and thinking $5 and more to do with people being willing to pay up to $5.99 but not $6. Say the "true" price is $5.80, a larger percentage will pay $5.99 vs. $6.00 so the prices always settle on the $.99.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Siljmonster posted:

Bethesda finally jumping up to DX11 gives me some hope at actually good atmospheric lighting and weather.

I just hope animations will be better this time around

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hammy posted:

I think it has less to do with people seeing $5.99 and thinking $5 and more to do with people being willing to pay up to $5.99 but not $6. Say the "true" price is $5.80, a larger percentage will pay $5.99 vs. $6.00 so the prices always settle on the $.99.

If you're willing to pay $5.99 but not $6 what's the difference then? Whether or not you are consciously going 'oh just $5' your brain is doing the exact same thing when you go 'oh $5.99 is fine but $6 is too much.'

Anyway I promise you there are people in the world that just don't even see the cents and go 'oh just $5.' My gf did that before I met her and just kept correcting her in the store when she'd go 'oh just $5' and I'd go 'nah it's $6 actually.' She realized it was dumb and paid more attention and stopped doing it but otherwise that's what she did. Not that big of a deal but it adds up; especially if you're grocery shopping and you do it with every item you're getting.

It's just some stupid marketing poo poo that takes advantage of human brain quirks - like how pink items are usually slightly more expensive for no reason other than 'women like pink so they'll pay more for it.'

e: also I guess people assume the .99 means 'on sale' for some reason.

http://www.livescience.com/33045-why-do-most-prices-end-in-99-cents-.html

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Oct 26, 2015

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Siljmonster posted:

If there's one thing the E3 trailers showed off, it was good lighting and shadows.

Here's hoping the rest of the game is good!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I mean .99 psychology is well known, but why have a bundle if you both get nothing extra and save negative money by buying it? I expected it to be like the game and the season pass and some dog armor or a shiny gun or whatever.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

Pwnstar posted:

A ghoul in power armor who repeatedly insists that he's a robot despite mounting evidence to the contrary.

This is close to a character from a post apocalyptic show called cockroaches

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6oG4dMFhGs

xutech fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 26, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah I mean .99 psychology is well known, but why have a bundle if you both get nothing extra and save negative money by buying it? I expected it to be like the game and the season pass and some dog armor or a shiny gun or whatever.

Oh well I dunno. Probably because someone in their marketing department said they should. They probably figure they'll sell more season passes that way because people are more likely to just get the bundle than to get the game and then also a season pass for it.

From an ecommerce point of view you want to make it as easy and quick as possible for people to buy poo poo because most online purchases are impulse buys. They don't want you to add the game to your cart and then think about adding the season pass, they want you to just throw both in at once and checkout ASAP.

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
It's also probable that alot of people will assume the digital deluxe edition will contain something not included in either the regular game or the season pass dlc. It's a bundle, so it must either be cheaper than the sum of it's contents or contain some extras not to be found elsewhere, right? :downs:

sout
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/bethesda/status/658705616177860609
Preloading confirmed, as you'd expect.
Now please give me my key already, greenman.

Don't preorder I'm dumb.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
I've bought games from GMG in the past but now can't remember when they actually send out keys.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

I've bought games from GMG in the past but now can't remember when they actually send out keys.

Usually on release, I've got at least one before tho.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Do we know if they will be doing a global timezone staggered release? I really don't want to use a VPN to unlock it early but I sure as gently caress will.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer

LumberingTroll posted:

Do we know if they will be doing a global timezone staggered release? I really don't want to use a VPN to unlock it early but I sure as gently caress will.

They aren't, there's a quote somewhere here about it.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
So I preordered the pipboy editon because I'm a filthy sexhaver with money. How does Best Buy handle preorders? Will it arrive on the 10th, do they give me my cdkey on release and the package arrives whenever, or am I going to be sitting around twirlin' my thumbs while everyone is playing it on Steam?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

LumberingTroll posted:

11/10 at 12 am PST for everyone.
Adjust as necessary.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Geoff Zahn posted:

So I preordered the pipboy editon because I'm a filthy sexhaver with money. How does Best Buy handle preorders? Will it arrive on the 10th, do they give me my cdkey on release and the package arrives whenever, or am I going to be sitting around twirlin' my thumbs while everyone is playing it on Steam?

They won't open the box for you no. You'll have to go get it before you can get the key out of the box.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They won't open the box for you no. You'll have to go get it before you can get the key out of the box.

I've never done a preorder before so I wasn't sure how it worked, like if they had the keys on file matched with the physical copy and just released them while shipping the item. But mainly curious then if it preorders generally ship early enough to arrive on [the 10th] or do they tend to arrive later?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
i ordered from greenman too (£31! whoop!) and i got skyrim from them in the past on pre-order. if i recall, i got the key a few days before release. i hope this information helps with your key worry.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

I think I got Skyrim PS3 (lol) from Amazon a day late so you can never really be sure.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Vikar Jerome posted:

i ordered from greenman too (£31! whoop!) and i got skyrim from them in the past on pre-order. if i recall, i got the key a few days before release. i hope this information helps with your key worry.

:doh: I only pre-ordered from there because of the discount code taking it down to £40 when all the places were still selling it for £50.

My new rule is then: don't pre-order but if I do (which I will) you might as well do it as late as possible.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Geoff Zahn posted:

I've never done a preorder before so I wasn't sure how it worked, like if they had the keys on file matched with the physical copy and just released them while shipping the item. But mainly curious then if it preorders generally ship early enough to arrive on [the 10th] or do they tend to arrive later?

If you preordered it to the store, it will be there morning of release. If home, whenever your carrier shows up normally. They've been consistent on getting games delivered on release day. Best Buy does not break street dates.

jeff8472
Dec 28, 2000

He died from watch-in-ass disease
Is Fallout 4 big enough that stores will do a midnight release?

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

jeff8472 posted:

Nah, it's just some dumb indie title from a no-name company

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

jeff8472 posted:

You can buy video games at stores now?

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Buglord

8-bit Miniboss posted:

If you preordered it to the store, it will be there morning of release. If home, whenever your carrier shows up normally. They've been consistent on getting games delivered on release day. Best Buy does not break street dates.

Just checked my preorder and it won't let me change it to store pickup. Oh well, mail usually comes in the late afternoon so I guess I'll just take the 11th off from work :spergin:

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
Since my computer is poo poo i'm getting this on ps4. Is there a pre-download or anything or does it just unlock at midnight?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulhuite
Mar 22, 2007

Shwmae!

Loose Ifer posted:

Since my computer is poo poo i'm getting this on ps4. Is there a pre-download or anything or does it just unlock at midnight?

They'll be doing a pre-load if you bought it on PSN, or have a code you can put into PSN.

• Locked thread