Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
i got good seats, see yall there. i will be dressed like some kind of doofus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!
I'm just hoping to be able to make out faces from row loving GG. I'm glad they're able to sell out huge venues, but there should really be a max distance for a show where three people literally sit around a table for two hours.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
At worst you just listen to them like you usually do.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
griffin, last week: Also forgot to mention that this isn’t replacing Monster Factory proper! Should have a new episode up next week on YT!

need... monster factory...

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Who What Now posted:

At worst you just listen to them like you usually do.

I mean, yeah. I don't blame them or anything. I knew exactly what ticket I was buying. My eyesight just isn't the best, and giant theaters don't help.

Raserys posted:

griffin, last week: Also forgot to mention that this isn’t replacing Monster Factory proper! Should have a new episode up next week on YT!

need... monster factory...

Man, that every other week schedule didn't even last two episodes, huh?

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
poo poo, I'm actually really qualified for that position, but I'm pretty sure my absolute refusal to relocate to NYC would disqualify me.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Bonk posted:

poo poo, I'm actually really qualified for that position, but I'm pretty sure my absolute refusal to relocate to NYC would disqualify me.

You probably won't be hired before Jose wipes the east coast off the map after which I think they'll be amenable to remote employees for a while.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

TAZ is up

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Finally finished The Adventure Zone! At least, the balance campaign? I got the impression from some of what they said that they had side stories and other stuff going on but I just blazed as fast as possible through the whole series (I fast-forwarded all the add breaks and skipped the discussion/interview? episodes and guest spots which I might go check out now).

Really great stuff! It must've been a hell of a thing to follow coming out slowly over the course of three years, I was going through material too fast to sit around theorizing too much but I can imagine people were probably wracking their brains coming up with solutions to different obstacles or predictions about the plot, I forgot half of the foreshadowing and prophecies until they actually happened. The magic items that kept getting forgotten then reemerging way down the line in particular must've been a source of frustration/amusement. I'm extremely impressed with Griffin as a storyteller, particularly his ability to keep an emotional and engaging story going while also giving room for the players to do what they want and direct events. The players all struck a great balance between keeping it fun and loose while also engaging with the story enough to stay connected to their characters and the world they inhabited. By the end of it everyone felt really committed, which is a hallmark of a great game.

Just one more thing, the thing that really got me to blaze through the series was that eclipse back on the 21st. I didn't care about it at all but it happened to be going on as I was walking into work and I happened to gawk at it a whole bunch like a moron. I actually hurt my eyes doing it but the optometrist told me there was no damage, just normal "don't look at the sun you huge idiot" pain. Nevertheless I was so freaked out by all the talk about people going blind looking at the eclipse I hid in the dark in my room for basically a full 24 hours listening to TAZ to distract myself. I'm only telling this story because the very first episode I listened to while freaking out ended up being the eclipse episode and even Magnus, Merle and Taako knew to wear protective eyewear and I laughed so hard I almost threw up.

So, that's one endorsement of the Adventure Zone from a certified moron. Would recommend!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Colonel Whitey posted:

Polygon is hiring to replace Nick, so get in there and become Griffin's new best friend you nerds

https://twitter.com/justinmcelroy/status/906180326124376065

What are the odds that a Hail Mary "I've got little to lose, you all are an awesome bunch, I'd love to help in any way that I can" submission would get me permanently blacklisted from the entire industry?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Serperoth posted:

What are the odds that a Hail Mary "I've got little to lose, you all are an awesome bunch, I'd love to help in any way that I can" submission would get me permanently blacklisted from the entire industry?

https://twitter.com/JustinMcElroy/status/906189408377991169

You got nothin to lose.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
I'm honestly just curious how much that position pays.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

TAZ is up

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Taako from TV is here

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Wow I'm really surprised that my biggest takeaway from the new Taz episode is that I'm super ready to be done with the balance arc and every character associated with it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

The inclusion of established characters other than the main three was a mistake; Angus was just a plot device and the others did pretty much nothing. I much preferred the new folks. Brody, Mr. Rick, and the coach whose name escapes me were all solid one-shot characters. This was no Camp Goodfriend, but there were some solid goofs. Man, I wish I could have been there for the crowd reaction to "Hold on, I have a different song." Three. Two. One. Let's go!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

im in row g and the bros are about to appear

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Dolash posted:

Finally finished The Adventure Zone! At least, the balance campaign? I got the impression from some of what they said that they had side stories and other stuff going on but I just blazed as fast as possible through the whole series (I fast-forwarded all the add breaks and skipped the discussion/interview? episodes and guest spots which I might go check out now).

Really great stuff! It must've been a hell of a thing to follow coming out slowly over the course of three years, I was going through material too fast to sit around theorizing too much but I can imagine people were probably wracking their brains coming up with solutions to different obstacles or predictions about the plot, I forgot half of the foreshadowing and prophecies until they actually happened. The magic items that kept getting forgotten then reemerging way down the line in particular must've been a source of frustration/amusement. I'm extremely impressed with Griffin as a storyteller, particularly his ability to keep an emotional and engaging story going while also giving room for the players to do what they want and direct events. The players all struck a great balance between keeping it fun and loose while also engaging with the story enough to stay connected to their characters and the world they inhabited. By the end of it everyone felt really committed, which is a hallmark of a great game.

Just one more thing, the thing that really got me to blaze through the series was that eclipse back on the 21st. I didn't care about it at all but it happened to be going on as I was walking into work and I happened to gawk at it a whole bunch like a moron. I actually hurt my eyes doing it but the optometrist told me there was no damage, just normal "don't look at the sun you huge idiot" pain. Nevertheless I was so freaked out by all the talk about people going blind looking at the eclipse I hid in the dark in my room for basically a full 24 hours listening to TAZ to distract myself. I'm only telling this story because the very first episode I listened to while freaking out ended up being the eclipse episode and even Magnus, Merle and Taako knew to wear protective eyewear and I laughed so hard I almost threw up.

So, that's one endorsement of the Adventure Zone from a certified moron. Would recommend!
Glad to hear your eyes weren't damaged, you moron.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

that was my ben and jerry question!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Is there a breakdown of what levels the characters were throughout the campaign? More specifically, what level did they end on? I feel like they might have said it during the finale, but I can't remember.

DoctorWhat posted:

that was my ben and jerry question!

Wow you're probably gonna get to talk! Gratz!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Sep 9, 2017

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Whoops, double post

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Per arc it was 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 then varied as they earned different amounts of experience for the Lost century with most of them getting two more levels but I think Justin only getting one, it maybe each of them getting two except Clint got 3.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ashleyhufford/status/906317059918909440

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

Um, so I totally got an alert from Ticketmaster today and now I have tickets to both Boston shows on Sunday. One set of friends is going to the early show and another set of friends is going to the late show. Do I go to both???

e: Related, do we know if Sawbones is gonna be opening for either?

Stroop There It Is fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 9, 2017

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

This crowd was basically Foam.avi made corporeal

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

i don't know if the bean diet was worth it, but justin looks really good.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

QuoProQuid posted:

i don't know if the bean diet was worth it, but justin looks really good.

That flying kick was impressive.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Show was good, last audience question was so awkward but he saved it beautifully at the end

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I felt like this show hit a all time high with regards to crowd question awkwardness.

You're right about the J Man looking good though

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

omg chael crash posted:

I felt like this show hit a all time high with regards to crowd question awkwardness.

You're right about the J Man looking good though

I think only two or three were actual questions, either. People trying to disguise what they think is a funny story as a question just grinds it to a halt.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

I will never stop finding it funny as hell that one of this country's top musical and theatrical minds is motivated in no small part by a dumb podcast about horse ghosts.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah I think they need to add "It has to actually be a question" to "No bummers".

Or Elliot Kalan's "If I were someone who weren't me, would I find this question interesting?"

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Teddybear posted:

I will never stop finding it funny as hell that one of this country's top musical and theatrical minds is motivated in no small part by a dumb podcast about horse ghosts.

huh?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lin-Manuel_Miranda?wprov=sfla1

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

I like Lin's rendition of the Magic School Bus theme in the new one, but if he doesn't have a terrible cockney accent in the new Mary Poppins he's dead to me. Even if he does a good cockney accent, it's over.

Hey, MBMBaM has a wikipedia page!

quote:

In 2016 Justin co-invented asynchronous podcasting with Roman Mars, creating the first episode of Smart Stuff which began in episode 316 of MBMBaM [24] and was completed in episode 225 of 99% Invisible, hosted by Mars.[25]

That is a very cheritable choice of verb.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

I wish they were touring through Northern California, they seem to be deliberately skipping us :(

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Man I went looking and there's like a ton of fan art for The Adventure Zone. I hadn't really heard of the McElroys before this apart from being pointed at Car Boys early in the summer but these guys really have a lot going on. I guess the "family podcasting empire" in the title was a hint, huh? I'm almost surprised I managed to miss this thing for three whole years, it feels like there's a lot of fanbase crossover with other stuff I like.

I kinda want to ask what it's been like for you guys who've been following along for years. How'd you find out about the show? Did it have a big following from the jump or did it get big sometime recently? I peeped that OP and followed up to Polygon and dang these guys actually have a whole bunch of different content, that's pretty impressive.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

Personally I only got into them last year after discovering Monster Factory. I didn't catch up with TAZ until the last couple arcs, but my impression is that they had a decent built in following from MBMBaM and then TAZ really grew into its own thing in a way nobody really expected. Fans got super invested as it grew and so did the McElroys themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Dolash posted:

Man I went looking and there's like a ton of fan art for The Adventure Zone. I hadn't really heard of the McElroys before this apart from being pointed at Car Boys early in the summer but these guys really have a lot going on. I guess the "family podcasting empire" in the title was a hint, huh? I'm almost surprised I managed to miss this thing for three whole years, it feels like there's a lot of fanbase crossover with other stuff I like.

I kinda want to ask what it's been like for you guys who've been following along for years. How'd you find out about the show? Did it have a big following from the jump or did it get big sometime recently? I peeped that OP and followed up to Polygon and dang these guys actually have a whole bunch of different content, that's pretty impressive.

it seemed to blow up somewhere around crystal kingdom. like clint said, i think during petal to the metal is when everyone realized how drat good this show was. personally i didn't get into the mcelroy empire until about... a year and a half ago? shortly after i decided that mbmbam was something that i really liked, i got into TAZ.