Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

TaurusOxford posted:

Because a T-rex/Raptor hybrid is loving terrifying?

Not in a world where airplanes, tanks, and munitions exist.

Operation dumbo drop a super T Rex into Syria and someone on the ground with an RPG will kill it in minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What if the T-rex also has RPGs strapped to it???? Or lasers

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
He'd explode even harder

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

greatn posted:

He'd explode even harder

What if it was a combination of a T-rex, raptors, the DNA of all the Dinosaurs combined to make a giant spiky white T-rex that's super intelligent and can change color and disguise it's heat signature and psychically control other dinosaurs?

What then?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's what bugs me about the Alien movies. Every loving Alien movie teases the idea of the Aliens being used as a weapon by the military, but they never actually do that. Every Alien movie is the same, oh what's that weird thing, oh no it turns out it's an alien, now there's aliens loose, run away from the aliens, shoot the aliens, OK we killed the Alien. The trailer for Alien 6: Prometheus 2 made me groan because it's the exact same loving thing. Go ahead and make the drat military alien movie already, at least it'll be different.

The entire point of that trope (and the creature itself really) is that the military/WeylandU Corp is arrogant in thinking they're better than the Aliens and can control them, and they can't.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

quote:

What if it was a combination of a T-rex, raptors, the DNA of all the Dinosaurs combined to make a giant spiky white T-rex that's super intelligent and can change color and disguise it's heat signature and psychically control other dinosaurs?

What then?

They had a lot of restraint in having Chris Pratt proclaim that the Satanosaurus was "part raptor" instead of "part human".

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

What if the T-rex also has RPGs strapped to it???? Or lasers

Are you one of those people who thought Ready Player One was a good novel

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
The Nintendo Switch does not have Jurassic Park World on it so please try to stay on topic. This is getting nuts!!! :)

But this would be a good topic for a Blockbuster Video thread.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
edit: no more off topic

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Lock the thread until the 13th, then I will make the new Switch thread

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

VideoGames posted:

The Nintendo Switch does not have Jurassic Park World on it

guess I won't be preordering then!!!

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Guy Goodbody posted:

What then?

Actually if you combine the DNA of all the scariest, deadliest dinosaurs it turns out it's man. Specifically, Jeff Goldblum.

Edit: this was written five minutes ago but not posting due to data connection

youcallthatatwist
Sep 22, 2013
http://letsplayvideogames.com/2017/01/a-deep-dive-on-lpvgs-nintendo-switch-reports-and-info/

here is a final list of all of laura's leaks if you're curious, along with info rmation for where each leak came from. Personally I believe it all, and knowing thus stuff ahead of time makes me more excited, not less. don't look if you don't believe her or don't want to be spoiled i guess

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

That's what bugs me about the Alien movies. Every loving Alien movie teases the idea of the Aliens being used as a weapon by the military, but they never actually do that.

But that's the point, the whole "Aliens as weaponry/man's hubris" idea is a dumb loving idea that will never work because the Aliens aren't tamable and way too dangerous. If they were used as military weapons then the whole concept of them being the perfect being which kills but can't be killed is thrown out the window.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

s.i.r.e. posted:

But that's the point, the whole "Aliens as weaponry/man's hubris" idea is a dumb loving idea that will never work because the Aliens aren't tamable and way too dangerous. If they were used as military weapons then the whole concept of them being the perfect being which kills but can't be killed is thrown out the window.

If they're trapped doing the same story over and over again forever, maybe they shouldn't make any more Alien movies.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It could possibly get a port of Isolation so I'll take this last chance to say that actually no, Mans-arrogance-over-nature (particularly perfect space killer nature) is a pretty good trope/theme/concept and is exactly the kind of little idea that gives movies like Aliens that bit of depth that makes it better than action schlock.

Support our tropes :patriot:

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
What do you think the virtual console situation will be on switch? I never owned a wii or Wii U. It would be great if I could play skyward sword or twilight princess port while waiting for breath of the wild.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It could possibly get a port of Isolation so I'll take this last chance to say that actually no, Mans-arrogance-over-nature (particularly perfect space killer nature) is a pretty good trope/theme/concept and is exactly the kind of little idea that gives movies like Aliens that bit of depth that makes it better than action schlock.

Support our tropes :patriot:

I'm still hoping for a chance to play Colonial Marines on the go, so I'll say that "nature is full of unknowable evil that can only be avoided or destroyed" isn't as positive a trope as you think, imo.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

What do you think the virtual console situation will be on switch? I never owned a wii or Wii U. It would be great if I could play skyward sword or twilight princess port while waiting for breath of the wild.

It will be very poor and do not expect either of those games.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well Breath of the Wild is likely a launch game so you probably won't need to wait.

Switch will probably have at least GameCube virtual console because the Shield tablet it's mostly based on can run Dolphin for GameCube games mostly fine and Nintendo has much lower level access and probably helped design the thing to run their old games well.

Wii is probably doable too, that doesn't run as well on the shield, but Nintendo can probably figure it out.

It's rumored virtual console will launch with Luigi's Mansion, Smash Bros Melee, and Super Mario Sunshine.(optimised for their original resolution)

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I know that nobody really knows, but what do people think the eShop will be like on the Switch? Same eShop that's on WiiU/3DS, or completely new/different/separate?

I got some eShop gift cards for Christmas that I haven't redeemed yet because I feel like it would be a very Nintendo thing to do to say "Here's the all new Switch eShop Credits applied in WiiU/3DS eShop not valid on Switch eShop!!!!!!!!!"

Of course, if they DO say that, then my WiiU eShop gift card probably wouldn't be redeemable on the Switch eShop anyway, but there's no harm in waiting to see for sure.

ESHOP

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Guy Goodbody posted:

If they're trapped doing the same story over and over again forever, maybe they shouldn't make any more Alien movies.

Maybe they shouldn't make more Mario games either, or Zelda, or Kirby, or anything that has a sequel because they tend to follow the same formula and have the same point.

Guy Goodbody posted:

I'm still hoping for a chance to play Colonial Marines on the go, so I'll say that "nature is full of unknowable evil that can only be avoided or destroyed" isn't as positive a trope as you think, imo.

Why in god's name would you want to play Colonial Marines?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
NEW! Nintendo eShop for Switch. eShop games will be referred to as eCons.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Guy Goodbody posted:

I don't really grade them on positive or negative and that's not really what it is, but ok

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Does "optimized for their original resolution" mean the GameCube games will be 480p?

Because that's dumb af. I've played Melee in 1080p with fancy AA and a widescreen hack and it ran perfectly.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OldSenileGuy posted:

I know that nobody really knows, but what do people think the eShop will be like on the Switch? Same eShop that's on WiiU/3DS, or completely new/different/separate?

I got some eShop gift cards for Christmas that I haven't redeemed yet because I feel like it would be a very Nintendo thing to do to say "Here's the all new Switch eShop Credits applied in WiiU/3DS eShop not valid on Switch eShop!!!!!!!!!"

Of course, if they DO say that, then my WiiU eShop gift card probably wouldn't be redeemable on the Switch eShop anyway, but there's no harm in waiting to see for sure.

ESHOP

Almost definitely funds will be tied to your NNID, or your NNID rolled into your Nintendo Account. They made the shops on 3DS and WiiU cross compatible for your "wallet" a long time ago, no way that's going away.

I suspect the eShop will be similar to WiiUs, catchy song and a curated web page up front, searchable games, trailers, and categories. I hope they reduce the number of steps a purchase takes.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have never played BGE. Should I grab it on ps3 or just watch a good LP?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

VideoGames posted:

The Nintendo Switch does not have Jurassic Park World on it so please try to stay on topic. This is getting nuts!!! :)

But this would be a good topic for a Blockbuster Video thread.

Wow! What a difference!

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Back when Nintendo established the eShop and NNIDs, they said these would persist for future systems as well. And the 3DS/Wii U eShops already let you share the same account/balance, so the Switch eShop should do the same.

So any money kept in your balance should show up on your Switch once you buy and register it, and it should remember things you've bought on other systems if they do tie-in discounts (like virtual console upgrades).

greatn posted:

I hope they reduce the number of steps a purchase takes.

The big thing I'm hoping for is that they put together an actual cart system, instead of having to buy stuff one at a time.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Waltzing Along posted:

There's a good goon LP of it, it'd probably be the better way of doing it just for the added commentary. The game still plays well but somethings feel really dated like the combat. Worth picking up if you find it cheap enough.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bass Bottles posted:

Does "optimized for their original resolution" mean the GameCube games will be 480p?

Because that's dumb af. I've played Melee in 1080p with fancy AA and a widescreen hack and it ran perfectly.

Your computer is more powerful than a Switch, and costs a lot more than Nintendo will charge for the Switch.

Getting excited for leaks is asking for disappointment. I'm just happy we're going to see more Nintendo games in the future, and if we get anything out of the leaks that I happen to care about, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Bass Bottles posted:

It's unlikely that they'd change the resolution of the titles for numerous reasons.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Nintendo strives for accuracy in its emulation. Their games have been vastly improved in emulation. Not that they cant when they want to, the Wind Waker remaster was better then the dolphin version with its tweaks which was better then the gamecube version. But then, they charged full price for it. (worth it, fast sail hell yeah) But they want accuracy. Like NES Kirby still loses 1/5 the frame on the left a bunch, and that's still in there on purpose.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Back when Nintendo established the eShop and NNIDs, they said these would persist for future systems as well. And the 3DS/Wii U eShops already let you share the same account/balance, so the Switch eShop should do the same.

So any money kept in your balance should show up on your Switch once you buy and register it, and it should remember things you've bought on other systems if they do tie-in discounts (like virtual console upgrades).

The big thing I'm hoping for is that they put together an actual cart system, instead of having to buy stuff one at a time.

Yeah a cart would be a huge upgrade. People complain about the eShop all the time, but on the WiiU I've always thought it has an attractive layout and easy discoverability and did a good job saying what was new. A cart, cutting a couple purchase steps, and marking currently downloading games appropriately would be golden.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Bleck posted:

It's unlikely that they'd change the resolution of the titles for numerous reasons.

Do those reasons include "laziness" and "fanboys will buy it regardless"?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

Nintendo strives for accuracy in its emulation. Their games have been vastly improved in emulation. Not that they cant when they want to, the Wind Waker remaster was better then the dolphin version with its tweaks with was better then the gamecube version. But then, they charged full price for it. (worth it, fast sail hell yeah)

The wind Waker remaster (or remasters in general) isn't emulated.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
In the age of constant remasters it seems really dumb to re-release such a high-profile classic like Smash Bros Melee in 480p imo :mad:

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it's worth playing but I dont think it's as hyped of a game as people make it out to be, just a good adventure game.

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bass Bottles posted:

In the age of constant remasters it seems really dumb to re-release such a high-profile classic like Smash Bros Melee in 480p imo :mad:

Dolphins pretty amazing I'll tell you whut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

TaurusOxford posted:

Do those reasons include "laziness" and "fanboys will buy it regardless"?

It's probably more that it's cheaper/more consistent, there's something to be said for preserving accuracy and yes to the latter

• Locked thread