Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Secret Ooze posted:

Country/Provider: USA, Upper Michigan. Currently with AT&T.

Current contract status: Contract will be up in the next month or so.

Budget (phone/plan): Right now Im on a 1400 minute plan with unlimited text and my wife is an additional line. She has the same plan. At the moment I believe our cell bill is ~$120 a month.

Features I know I want: Id like to not have to have a data plan, which I understand an iPhone requires. The two of us would like smart phones as we use features that arent usually included in 'standard' phones. As far as carriers go, AT&T and Verizon are the only options we have.

Right now I have a Blackjack 2 and she has a Palm Centro. She hates the Palm OS and I dont mind WinMo.

You're required to get a data plan on every smartphone that is on the market right now, regardless of carrier. A smartphone is useless anyways without one. Check to see if you have data plans on both of those lines, seeing as I do remember that AT&T has required data plans on smartphones for the longest time.

If you're going to get screwed over on price, might as well get the best value. Go with 2 Droid Incredibles on Verizon. Check if you and your wife have employer discounts for Verizon too. The Droid Incredible is easily the best phone on Verizon right now and will continue to be king for the next few months there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

$ watch the money pile up $
Country/Provider: Houston, TX - AT&T w/ iPhone 3G (mine) and some lovely slider (wife)
Current Contract Status: out this summer
Budget: Willing to shell out for two smartphones w/ smartphone plans ($100/mth+)
Features I know I want: The ability to play .m4b audiobooks.

I am resigned to the iPhone because of the feature we want (we are both avid audiobook listeners), but I am growing to hate Apple and I'm tired of the image. I want a phone, not a goddam lifestyle augmentation unit and I'm tired of people asking about it and blah blah blah

Obviously the new iPhone may answer this question for me, but I really want to know if Android or WebOS can either do this now or maybe in the near future.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Things that are better about the iPhone: music capacity, the music player, touchscreen accuracy
Things that are better about HTC Snapdragon Android phones: everything else

That said I'm probably still going to get the iPhone4. I'm such a music whore. :(

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

kalibar posted:

Things that are better about the iPhone: music capacity, the music player, touchscreen accuracy

That said I'm probably still going to get the iPhone4. I'm such a music whore. :(

Actually, if the rumor mills are correct, the EVO/Incredible have Atmel maxTouch touchscreen chips in them, so accuracy should be much improved. http://goo.gl/GpBH Note that I haven't seen touch accuracy tests with the incredible vs. others yet.

bmusic isn't bad for an android music player (aping iphone/ipod touch ui). Lacking the lockscreen quick skip is definitely a downer though. Maybe with froyo google will put in lock screen manipulation APIs. iTunes integration is also moot with doubleTwist since it can hop on to the iTunes library and sync your device automatically.

Audio books, however... m4bs without DRM can be converted just fine by doubleTwist. With DRM you'll need to remove it in order for it to be converted by DT.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

Converted to what, though?

It'd be a pain in the rear end to go through my huge library of audiobooks converted to a non-bookmarking format.

(The great thing about .m4b is the filesize (AAC is a good low-bitrate codec) and bookmarkability.)

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

groverat posted:

Converted to what, though?

It'd be a pain in the rear end to go through my huge library of audiobooks converted to a non-bookmarking format.

(The great thing about .m4b is the filesize (AAC is a good low-bitrate codec) and bookmarkability.)

I think it converts it to m4a automatically
http://forums.doubletwist.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6315

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

kalibar posted:

Myself being a music whore and the fact that Android doesn't have a good IM client are the two reasons I'm considering an iPhone. That is, if it comes to T-Mobile.

SavesTheLava
Jan 14, 2006
Country/Provider: New Jersey, USA/Currently with Verizon

Current contract status: Contract will be up in about 2 weeks

Budget (phone/plan): Looking to spend anywhere from $50 to $150. I can afford the data package for multimedia phones but not for smartphones

Features I know I want: I'm kinda of a phone noob so I don't really know what kind of features are really out there. I been looking at some phones on the verizon website and so far the one's that seem promising are the Samsung Reality and the LG touch. But I don't really know anything about those phones so if someone could let me if they are good or something similar that would be awesome.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
I'm looking to get a fairly inexpensive keyboard phone for use with a pay-as-you-go plan and I'm thinking about getting this LG Neon:

http://amzn.com/B002XITTXG

I really don't know anything about cellphones so I just wanted to make sure there wasn't a better phone I could get instead for roughly the same price for a pay-as-you-go plan.

EDIT: I did a little research and it seems like the Neon (not sure if it's the model I linked or not) seems to have a lovely battery life, but I don't know if it would really bother me since I mostly text and barely use my phone anyways. so I was also looking at this phone too:

http://amzn.com/B002AS9WD6

Any thoughts?

StickFigs fucked around with this message at 01:43 on May 13, 2010

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

Country/Provider: USA (Tempe, AZ), Sprint (SERO)

Current contract status: Free and clear, I can go where I will.

Budget (phone/plan): Obviously, anything I switch to is more expensive than SERO. I have an employer discount with VZW; 15% monthly access fee discount and 20% data feature discount.

Features I know I want: A platform that isn't dying a slow death as developers flock to either the iPhone or Android.

Staying with Sprint isn't really an option, as their reception in my area has gotten steadily worse, to the point where most of the time when I'm at work or near it, I'm roaming on Verizon at 1X data, and even when I have Sprint signal (at home I can usually get EVDO, but at lousy signal strength), if someone calls me the call is often dropped as soon as I try to answer. I loved SERO, and I was waiting to see what shook out with the EVO, but it looks like it's not going to be good enough to keep me dealing with this.

I'm thinking of going to VZW and grabbing the Incredible; are there any particularly good deals going on right now? Or some other option I'm not aware of?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Jedi425 posted:

Country/Provider: USA (Tempe, AZ), Sprint (SERO)

Current contract status: Free and clear, I can go where I will.

Budget (phone/plan): Obviously, anything I switch to is more expensive than SERO. I have an employer discount with VZW; 15% monthly access fee discount and 20% data feature discount.

Features I know I want: A platform that isn't dying a slow death as developers flock to either the iPhone or Android.

Staying with Sprint isn't really an option, as their reception in my area has gotten steadily worse, to the point where most of the time when I'm at work or near it, I'm roaming on Verizon at 1X data, and even when I have Sprint signal (at home I can usually get EVDO, but at lousy signal strength), if someone calls me the call is often dropped as soon as I try to answer. I loved SERO, and I was waiting to see what shook out with the EVO, but it looks like it's not going to be good enough to keep me dealing with this.

I'm thinking of going to VZW and grabbing the Incredible; are there any particularly good deals going on right now? Or some other option I'm not aware of?

Its pretty brand new so most places won't be discounting it yet, always a good bet to check amazon. Otherwise Best Buy gives instant rebates, just make sure you get someone who knows what they are doing. Either way for your situation VZ is the best bet, and the Incredible by far is what you should get.

groverat
Aug 5, 2004

As a follow-up, here's my 4G map in Houston. So loving close to wanting an EVO 4G, but... poo poo.

blue - 4G
orange - 3G

mightygerm
Jun 29, 2002

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, but I'm on a family plan on AT&T (but not the main number), and I'm thinking of getting a new phone and switching carriers (with the other numbers staying on AT&T). I want to port my number, but will it being on a family plan hinder this process? I've heard that you have to port the number to a single account first, but I'm concerned that this will make me have to enter into a new contract. Does anyone have any solid info on this?

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

groverat posted:

As a follow-up, here's my 4G map in Houston. So loving close to wanting an EVO 4G, but... poo poo.

blue - 4G
orange - 3G

So why are there tiny, random dead zones in the coverage maps? I ask because I live in Missouri City, and most of the area around my house has 4G but my neighborhood has a random deadspot in it. How is a huge tower that is servicing the area not able to provide to a single random spot surrounded by area that does have service?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
My wife and I are both up for new phone contracts and ready for new phones. Both of us want Android phones with slide-out keyboards.

I have a Sprint SERO plan and currently have a Katana II and my wife has no contract at all. We went to a third party Sprint store the other day and were about to switch to a plan that was $130 per month for two lines with Samsung Moment phones.

The salesman pulled up my accont and saw that it was SERO. He told me I had to dial *2 for Sprint Care (LOL) and tell them I wanted to convert my account to a regular consumer account. I did so and the guy on the phone said that was crazy and I could get a plan for $109 per month for the two lines with the two new phones. He said I would have to go to a Sprint owned store to get this plan.

So we went to the actual Sprint store and the salesman there had no idea what I was talking about. He said he couldn't do anything with my account since it was SERO, and we would have to change it on the SERO website on the computer in the store.

So the SERO website he was looking for no longer exists. He said the plan that the man from *2 Sprint Care wouldn't include data.

So we asked about getting a plan with the 11% discount my wife can get through her full time job. He couldn't get that figured out either. So we left.

We want two Android phones with keyboards. We are not real picky about having the absolute latest and greatest, so the fact that Samsung Moments are $100 at Sprint is kind of nice.

She can get an 11% discount with Sprint through her main job or a 22% discount with Verizon through her part time job. The Droid is $200 at Verizon, so that seems to wipe out any plan savings.

We are not concerned about minutes, we mainly want unlimited text, picture, data, etc. 500 minutes between us would be plenty.

The Sprint Everything Data Family Plan isn't a bad deal, I just have a strong aversion to paying "Joe off the street price" for anything, especially after enjoying the SERO sweetheart deal for two years.

traslin
Feb 19, 2004
Hooked On Phoenix

PBCrunch posted:

My wife and I are both up for new phone contracts and ready for new phones. Both of us want Android phones with slide-out keyboards.

I have a Sprint SERO plan and currently have a Katana II and my wife has no contract at all. We went to a third party Sprint store the other day and were about to switch to a plan that was $130 per month for two lines with Samsung Moment phones.

The salesman pulled up my accont and saw that it was SERO. He told me I had to dial *2 for Sprint Care (LOL) and tell them I wanted to convert my account to a regular consumer account. I did so and the guy on the phone said that was crazy and I could get a plan for $109 per month for the two lines with the two new phones. He said I would have to go to a Sprint owned store to get this plan.

So we went to the actual Sprint store and the salesman there had no idea what I was talking about. He said he couldn't do anything with my account since it was SERO, and we would have to change it on the SERO website on the computer in the store.

So the SERO website he was looking for no longer exists. He said the plan that the man from *2 Sprint Care wouldn't include data.

So we asked about getting a plan with the 11% discount my wife can get through her full time job. He couldn't get that figured out either. So we left.

We want two Android phones with keyboards. We are not real picky about having the absolute latest and greatest, so the fact that Samsung Moments are $100 at Sprint is kind of nice.

She can get an 11% discount with Sprint through her main job or a 22% discount with Verizon through her part time job. The Droid is $200 at Verizon, so that seems to wipe out any plan savings.

We are not concerned about minutes, we mainly want unlimited text, picture, data, etc. 500 minutes between us would be plenty.

The Sprint Everything Data Family Plan isn't a bad deal, I just have a strong aversion to paying "Joe off the street price" for anything, especially after enjoying the SERO sweetheart deal for two years.

I think the plan that the first guy on the phone was recommending you switch to (the $109 one) is the Sprint Everything Plus Referral Program (related fatwallet thread). I just switched to it recently, and it is a family plan with 1600 minutes for $109 a month. It is considered the "new SERO" plan that previous SERO people should transfer to.

The people at this number should be able to help you out, 888-876-8381.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PBCrunch posted:

So is the question what can you get? CHeck the Sprint thread, but the EPRP EVerything Data Family Plan is a good bet. With a GOOD discount (15-25%) the regular Everydata Plan can either match it or come close, but since you're already on SERO just go with EPRP. Once you switch over by calling in, a corporate Sprint store not staffed by idiots should be able to help you.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

white house negro posted:

I want to port my number, but will it being on a family plan hinder this process?
No. When you have your new provider port your number, it just deactivates that line on your old family plan. The others will remain intact.

The tricky part might be if the line on your family plan is in a different name than yours. It's not tricky for a technical reason, only that your provider has some obligation to prove that the transaction is legitimate (i.e., you're not stealing someone else's phone number). If you, for example, port your number in a store, then bringing in your most recent family plan bill should be sufficient. Having the person whose name is on that plan come with you is even better, if it's doable.

Every time I've ported numbers I've activated the new service first on a randomly-assigned number, made sure that both the phone and service works, then have the number ported over. I've also only done it in store, because I figured if poo poo went south it might be easier to resolve than over the phone. Both times just having the original bill was sufficient.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 14, 2010

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Hey guys, I was hoping you could help me save some money.

I'm looking for the cheapest option for a cell phone, I don't talk on it a lot and am way overpaying right now. I started out with a 2 year contract on Verizon but that ended in 2008, I still like their network because it gets great coverage in my area (Salt Lake City) and my family (in NY) uses it so I get free airtime, but I'm not opposed to switching if the math works out. I never use text or video or the camera or the internet or any of those crazy new things people are into forking over money for, I just like having a portable phone with voice mail.

Unfortunately their cheapest plan is $40 for 450 minutes and I barely use 20 of those, maybe 100 if you count family calls; that's $480 a year which doesn't seem worth it. In the four years I've had it there's only 80 hours logged, and I doubt even 10% of that is to non-family.

I was looking into prepaid which would save me a bunch, but would Verizon be the best carrier for that? I was reading their site and the expirations are stupid, between the $100 for one year expiring minutes and the daily access fees it still adds up to way more than seems reasonable.

What's the absolute cheapest I could get a reliable phone with barebone features?

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

T-Mobile Prepaid, $100/year minimum with minutes and SMS at ten cents apiece. That's 8 bucks a month (more if you use more minutes).

The cool part about T-Mo Prepaid is that you can either use a totally lovely basic phone or you can buy an unlocked iPhone or Nexus One or whatever and use it to make calls but also listen to music on and surf on when you're near Wi-Fi.

I treat my cellphone as a glorified audio player anyway, I've definitely considered this before.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

kalibar posted:

T-Mobile Prepaid, $100/year minimum with minutes and SMS at ten cents apiece. That's 8 bucks a month (more if you use more minutes).

The cool part about T-Mo Prepaid is that you can either use a totally lovely basic phone or you can buy an unlocked iPhone or Nexus One or whatever and use it to make calls but also listen to music on and surf on when you're near Wi-Fi.

I treat my cellphone as a glorified audio player anyway, I've definitely considered this before.

This, or also check out Common Sense (Cents or whatever) that Sprint and WalMart just rolled out. 7 cents a min, 7 cents a text, minutes actually round down.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

kalibar posted:

Is there some site I can check to see what their actual coverage is like? Every carrier claims to be flawless on their maps but that's never the case, and a quick search only shows me some cellreception.com site with outdated reviews.

Don't care about any of that, I don't even own a portable music player. Literally just want a phone that holds a charge and makes calls.

Duckman2008 posted:

This, or also check out Common Sense (Cents or whatever) that Sprint and WalMart just rolled out. 7 cents a min, 7 cents a text, minutes actually round down.
The minutes may be cheaper but it's more per year at a minimum of $150 :( I wouldn't even get through what they give you for $30, the expirations on all these plans are ridiculous.

keltor
Nov 26, 2009
# Country/Provider: US/T-Mobile

# Current contract status: In to it with T-Mobile till September

# Budget (phone/plan): Could pay up to like probably $400 for phones/Currently like $130 for 3 phones: 2000min family plan, family unlmtd messaging and 1 iphone smartphone plan - I will consider a switch to another carrier namely AT&T who I get a 20% corporate plan discount with.

# Features I know I want: RREALLLY good camera phone - I normally carry a Nikon D90 and a 110mm prime lense EVERYWHERE with me, but there are sometimes when I just need something else, and I'd like to know what's out there in camera phones these days. Also I'm interested in switching carriers to possibly pickup a better discount.

As far as T-Mobile goes, I am perfectly happy with my service and coverage. Sprint and Verizon are non-options due to their spotty coverage at my house. Both are literally 0 coverage in my backyard.

Hangar 18
Apr 2, 2010
So I've modified my demands and I want to spend the least amount of money as possible for a qwerty phone that is compatable with ATT.

I want a qwerty because I like to write down thoughts, ideas, and what not. I have one of those old Nokia snake cell phones with the calculator screens. It's heavy, and while it has sentimental value it's time for an upgrade.

As much as I'll miss snake 2 I have to do this!

What are my options?

Thanks!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Hangar 18 posted:

So I've modified my demands and I want to spend the least amount of money as possible for a qwerty phone that is compatable with ATT.

I want a qwerty because I like to write down thoughts, ideas, and what not. I have one of those old Nokia snake cell phones with the calculator screens. It's heavy, and while it has sentimental value it's time for an upgrade.

As much as I'll miss snake 2 I have to do this!

What are my options?

Thanks!

QWERTY, cheap, & AT&T: LG Neon - free with 2 year contract or $70 gets you the phone (prepaid version) with $50 airtime credit. I'm not sure if the credit will apply to a postpaid plan, but it is a possibility that you can ask AT&T support about.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Country/Provider: USA/AT&T

Current contract status: with Verizon through August. Will definitely be switching to AT&T when the contract runs out because there is basically no Verizon signal at my new house and there is plentiful AT&T signal.

Budget (phone/plan): Phone up to $250/Plan up to $100/mo.

Features I know I want: Android. Basically, is there anything good coming down the pike with Android 2.1 or higher for AT&T? If no one knows of anything, can anyone recommend a good site to watch for news of this type?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me

traslin posted:

I think the plan that the first guy on the phone was recommending you switch to (the $109 one) is the Sprint Everything Plus Referral Program (related fatwallet thread). I just switched to it recently, and it is a family plan with 1600 minutes for $109 a month. It is considered the "new SERO" plan that previous SERO people should transfer to.

The people at this number should be able to help you out, 888-876-8381.
I called the number and got the plan I wanted. We had to go to the Sprint corporate store to get my wife's line transferred to my account and pick up our phones and all is well. Thanks.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

QWERTY, cheap, & AT&T: LG Neon - free with 2 year contract or $70 gets you the phone (prepaid version) with $50 airtime credit. I'm not sure if the credit will apply to a postpaid plan, but it is a possibility that you can ask AT&T support about.

My opinion, but i think it's worth the $70 to get it prepaid and swap your sim card to it. Staying out of contract for that cheap gives you leverage over AT&T if anything fucks up.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheQat posted:

Current contract status: with Verizon through August. Will definitely be switching to AT&T when the contract runs out because there is basically no Verizon signal at my new house and there is plentiful AT&T signal.

Features I know I want: Android. Basically, is there anything good coming down the pike with Android 2.1 or higher for AT&T? If no one knows of anything, can anyone recommend a good site to watch for news of this type?

Right now its Nexus 1 or buy an unlocked Android phone from Canada or Europe (Milestone, Desire, etc). Unfortunately unlocked means outright pricing, meaning $500+ per phone. Up side of unlocked is that you can usually do a dumbphone plan with $15 data per line, swap SIMs and AT&T shouldn't pick up on it (saving you $30 a month total).

Current AT&T phones get crippled horribly, AT&T bloatware, Google software removed and replaced by yahoo (not just search, but gmail, gcal, gsync, etc) and hardware wise the current batch are sucking. The Dell Mini 5 (not Aero) is supposed to hit AT&T at some point, as is the Legend, but it is unknown if they will also get crippled (fairly likely).

If you buy unlocked, make sure AT&T does not have you sign a 2 year. They've been known to do that from time to time.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

TheQat posted:

Here's what you are going to have to do to get a decent Android phone on AT&T since their Android lineup sucks and will suck. They're going to have the year-old Hero up next as an example of their suckage.
  • Buy an iPhone 4G
  • Resell it on eBay/Craigslist/SA-Mart/your favorite selling site
  • With profits from iPhone auction, buy a Nexus One if they're still available by then or a Milestone
You should be able to pay only $200 out of pocket at most I believe once you've finished this. Make sure you're buying an unlocked Telus Milestone. The Telus Milestone supports AT&T 3G.

eames
May 9, 2009

Can somebody recommend me a GSM/3G phone that is known exceptional reception?

I’m stuck in a business contract and pretty happy with my iPhone 3GS, but the whole "No Carrier" thing at home is starting to bother me. Calls also cancel 24/7 and I can’t use the phone unless I walk outside.
So now I bought a second SIM for that contract to keep one phone at home and use the iPhone the rest of the time.

Price doesn’t matter since I’ll probably get it for free. Suggestions?

(A week ago I put my SIM into a friends Nokia and it worked perfectly fine. I’ve also tried a different 3GS but the issue remained.)

//fake edit: now that I think about it, 3G tethering would be nice. But good reception takes precedence.

eames fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 18, 2010

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

eames posted:

Can somebody recommend me a GSM/3G phone that is known exceptional reception?

I’m stuck in a business contract and pretty happy with my iPhone 3GS, but the whole "No Carrier" thing at home is starting to bother me. Calls also cancel 24/7 and I can’t use the phone unless I walk outside.
So now I bought a second SIM for that contract to keep one phone at home and use the iPhone the rest of the time.

Price doesn’t matter since I’ll probably get it for free. Suggestions?

(A week ago I put my SIM into a friends Nokia and it worked perfectly fine. I’ve also tried a different 3GS but the issue remained.)

//fake edit: now that I think about it, 3G tethering would be nice. But good reception takes precedence.

Nokia's are known for great reception. If you get one get it unlocked, not one of the stripped down ones AT&T has. Also, check out the E72, i always liked that series pesonally.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
poo poo, for all that trouble maybe I'll just get a Blackberry. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

TheQat posted:

poo poo, for all that trouble maybe I'll just get a Blackberry. Thanks for the advice, guys.

Or an iphone. iPhone 4G looks decent, it has its ups and downs, but I would put it over BBerry for most things.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

TheQat posted:

Yeah, but then you own a BlackBerry.

Flipping an iPhone isn't that much work, and the Nexus One is awesome and works with the cheap data.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
I'm just not interested in doing any weird/untoward stuff and doubly not interested in owning an iPhone. Blackberries are par for the course since I live within 50 miles of DC

Thanks again :)

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

Yeah, but then you own a BlackBerry.

Flipping an iPhone isn't that much work, and the Nexus One is awesome and works with the cheap data.

I had a coworker just get his data upgraded for him because he has a Nexus One on AT&T.

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Was he using the 850/1900 version or the AWS 3G version that's sold with T-Mobile contracts? Had he ever used the T-Mobile version? The T-Mo version gets recognized.

My 850/1900 N1 still hasn't been audited and isn't recognized by account management. A buddy of mine who's not a "phone guy" just bought an 850/1900 version, called AT&T and directly told them "I'm using a Google Nexus One," gave them the IMEI, and they flipped his data from iPhone data to cheap data.

:iiam:

900ftjesus
Aug 10, 2003

kalibar posted:

Was he using the 850/1900 version or the AWS 3G version that's sold with T-Mobile contracts? Had he ever used the T-Mobile version?

My 850/1900 N1 still hasn't been audited, and a buddy of mine who's not a "phone guy" just bought an 850/1900 version, called AT&T and directly told them "I'm using a Google Nexus One," gave them the IMEI, and they flipped his data from iPhone data to cheap data.

:iiam:

It's an 850/1900 N1. He was on the cheap plan and got a message that said if he doesn't call and change his data plan they would do it for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kbar
Aug 9, 2002

Huh. He should post on the HowardForums thread, because he'd be the first one.