Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miike
Nov 7, 2003
Free Mandela
I hope some daytime long exposure is also okay. I used a welding glass as a very strong ND filter to get a 27 second exposure during a very sunny day.

Long Exposure Arashi Beach, Aruba by Nestor's Blurrylife, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Miike posted:

I hope some daytime long exposure is also okay. I used a welding glass as a very strong ND filter to get a 27 second exposure during a very sunny day.

Nice, I recently got a 10 stop ND for some work shots and have been meaning to try it out for similar.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Those are extremely cool.

I have a material + homemade cover for my telescope for day-time solar viewing, I think I will try it out on my camera some time soon and see if I can get some pictures of sunspots.

NinetySevenA
Feb 10, 2013

DSC_0002.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

This is a picture that I seem to be happy with. I put the greens up a lot in Lightroom. Is it too much?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I'm hoping someone out there has done a better job of stars from a plane than I did.

Orion by Geographic Ecotourist, on Flickr

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

These are great, but have you had people calling the cops because of the creepy dude with the giant camera lurking outside their house?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

deaders posted:

These are great, but have you had people calling the cops because of the creepy dude with the giant camera lurking outside their house?

Not once but thankfully I'm doing nothing illegal if they do.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

ansel autisms posted:

Not once but thankfully I'm doing nothing illegal if they do.

Yeah, like that matters. :cop:

NinetySevenA posted:

DSC_0002.jpg by ninetysevena, on Flickr

This is a picture that I seem to be happy with. I put the greens up a lot in Lightroom. Is it too much?

I've seen ponds lit so that they look like that in person, so it works.

Tried the timer again, got a satellite:

Click for fullsize. Stacked with 398 others (as high as the timer will go):

zeroprime
Mar 25, 2006

Words go here.

Fun Shoe
Not sure if this counts as long exposure photos per se, but I was out at Big Bend on Memorial Day weekend and got some timelapse photography of the night sky (it is pitch black out there). The video goes up to 3840x2160 (4K UHD) resolution since it's put together from stills: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvRTk59cj1w

Pretty much every Milky Way shot was taken at 11mm, f2.8, 20 seconds on my Canon T2i.

zeroprime fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 8, 2014

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
5 seconds with 5s between during a storm:

The next day (not a long exposure, but gently caress it):

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I did some strange things

I took these in Colorado, near Divide, pointing towards Pikes Peak.

I used a Canon 6D, and a Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 - I took the plastic mount cover off the back to make it mount on the 6D

This one is 15mm, 20 seconds, ISO6400

This one was shot at 10mm, 30 seconds, ISO4000. Rectilinear in a circle, weird I know. The mirror will hit the rear lens element if you shoot like this, but if you use Live View, then it works fine. I was using my iPhone as a remote trigger to take these pictures.

0toShifty fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 13, 2014

Jekub
Jul 21, 2006

April, May, June, July and August fool
A short test image from my new mount. The Pelican nebula in HA 3x20 minutes taken with my QSI 583ws.

NGC5070 with the CEM60 by tmarkuk, on Flickr

Obsolete
Jun 1, 2000

I'm trying to get into non-telescope dslr night time astrophotography. Here are some attempts. Some trailing stars visible so I've got a long way to go. I honestly like the light dome in the bottom one. They all were taken from fairly dark skies but it seems the only interesting things that happen are directly over distant city lights.

ISS Over Scorpius by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Double Iridium Flare Near Vega by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Robbers Cave State Park Milky Way by sdmacdonald, on Flickr

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Sky was beautifully clear last night. Most summer nights I'm able to see the dark lanes in the Milky Way, but they really stood out last night thanks to a lack of the thick haze that's normally present here. I was able to get this:

Milky Way by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

crap nerd
May 24, 2008
No stars from me, just dicking around with my phone's torch.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
That is really nice.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Storms rolled through a few nights ago and after the rain died down we got a pretty impressive light show. Wish these turned out more crisp but the clouds were moving pretty quickly.

Also I'm running the Yosemite beta right now so I don't have anything to properly grade it, but here's a quick video of the actual viewing conditions that night. Pretty impressive stuff.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100715753226973

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10100715758286833

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jul 3, 2014

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
That's really cool. I wish I lived in an area that had storms like that.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Yes but then you'd be in the midwest and be forced to spend the clear days trying to figure out how to make corn fields fun to photograph.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
Just googled 'midwest landscapes' and oh god you were not kidding.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

xzzy posted:

Yes but then you'd be in the midwest and be forced to spend the clear days trying to figure out how to make corn fields fun to photograph.
:(

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They don't call them flyover states for nothing!

But I do agree we get some amazing clouds out here. I just wish there was better scenery to shoot with them.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

I had some good weather for a picture of some dark nebulas with a planetary nebula in there too.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Decided to try out shooting fireworks.

4th of july in albany by t.humeston, on Flickr

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

IMG_0401 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

IMG_0388 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

IMG_0387 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

IMG_0382 by Den of Lies, on Flickr

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

How did the two of you handle focusing on fireworks? I took a bunch manually focused at infinity and they all came out blurred and terrible.

Hokkaido Anxiety
May 21, 2007

slub club 2013

SperginMcBadposter posted:

How did the two of you handle focusing on fireworks? I took a bunch manually focused at infinity and they all came out blurred and terrible.

If you dialed that in using your lens, chances are it wasn't actually focused on infinity. If you just focused to the hard stop at the end of the lens, it was probably past infinity. You can either use live view and zoom in to check focus on a distant object, or let it autofocus on something way far away, then lock it into manual focus mode and don't touch the focus ring.

edit: or magic lantern focus peaking magic voodoo to check focus if you install that.

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Shellman posted:

If you dialed that in using your lens, chances are it wasn't actually focused on infinity. If you just focused to the hard stop at the end of the lens, it was probably past infinity. You can either use live view and zoom in to check focus on a distant object, or let it autofocus on something way far away, then lock it into manual focus mode and don't touch the focus ring.

edit: or magic lantern focus peaking magic voodoo to check focus if you install that.

That explains it then. I was using the cheap cannon 50mm f/1.8 and had it focused to that hard stop at the end. Didn't realize it was out of focus until I looked at them on an actual computer monitor instead of shrunk down to fit the camera's lcd.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
I just used a older style lens and set it infinity then turned AF off.

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

SperginMcBadposter posted:

I was using a P&S. so I just pushed the button and let it ride.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Tried some Provia 100F at night.

VomitOnLino fucked around with this message at 11:11 on Jul 6, 2014

Deadweight
Feb 8, 2005

"I might even be able to crash the whole damn system."
DSC_5858 by whatwhat5814, on Flickr

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post
My first attempts at shooting fireworks. It was pretty windy at the beach last night.

Asbury Park Fireworks by benruset, on Flickr

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

VomitOnLino posted:

Tried some Provia 100F at night.

Last night? I've seen this photo before

96cobraguy
Aug 10, 2008

ZippySLC posted:

My first attempts at shooting fireworks. It was pretty windy at the beach last night.

Nice work fellow Jersey goon! It's a shame Red Bank doesn't do their fireworks anymore. Their display was fantastic!

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

BANME.sh posted:

Last night? I've seen this photo before

Nah, apparently I've posted it before and my age is getting to me.
Here's something fresh - Fuji T64 Type III, this time. I think I like Type II and I better.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

96cobraguy posted:

Nice work fellow Jersey goon! It's a shame Red Bank doesn't do their fireworks anymore. Their display was fantastic!

Thanks! I was really surprised at how good Asbury's fireworks were this year. Lots and lots of people were commenting on how impressive it was.

There was also a guy filming them via a drone. I can't wait to see that footage somewhere.

Drewski
Apr 15, 2005

Good thing Vader didn't touch my bike. Good thing for him.

ZippySLC posted:

Thanks! I was really surprised at how good Asbury's fireworks were this year. Lots and lots of people were commenting on how impressive it was.

There was also a guy filming them via a drone. I can't wait to see that footage somewhere.

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/amazing-inside-view-fireworks-taken-drone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
A panoramic shot of Norfolk VA's firework show.

And a couple of the candidate images for the composite: