Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Wow international shipping included in the price!?

Black lug strap with blue cord. Ordered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mes
Apr 28, 2006

Rontalvos posted:

All you x100 users out there, is a sandisk class 10 30mb/sec ultra card fast enough to make the camera not freak out and take forever starting up? or should I get something faster?

http://mobile.dailysteals.com/ $13 for a 16gb class 10 sandisk ultra. deal is good for 19 hrs.

Edit: I found this on deals.woot.com and a few people are reporting problems with dailysteals. Grain of salt I guess.

Question still stands for x100 owners though!

I would just go for the 95mb/s SanDisk Extreme (or other faster cards), there was a little bit of improvement between the 45mb/s version that I have and the 95mb/s version (not worth the upgrade though if you do have the 45mb/s version, I just needed another card). Anything to keep the camera locked up for less time is worth it in my opinion.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Any of you guys have any experience with Dandelion chips ??

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Rontalvos posted:

Welp I went and ordered an x100 today. We'll see how I like it come friday!

You will probably love it as well as occasionally become very frustrated with it.

Word of advice: do not use the Fuji supplied strap, not only is it a crap strap but the triangular things that clip into the ears are poorly designed and put a lot of wear on the ears. I use a Domke Gripper on mine (as well as on MY LEICAS) and can recommend it for something fantastically good yet not very expensive.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

krackmonkey posted:

I've only had a little bit of time with it tonight, but I love how it feels in hand, just the right amount of size and heft that I know it's there but it still isn't full-on DSLR weight. The base of the LA-EA2 is just about perfect for a counter-grip and it seems pretty snappy with the 35 SAM. I also got the 50 e-mount, and there are a couple (cat)photos in my flickr feed taken with that lens, if you're curious. I'll try and post a more detailed accounting of how I'm liking everything after taking a few more days to really break it in and discover what I love/hate about it.

Please do. I've recently bought a nex myself (c3) and still discovering it, would love to hear different experiences on similar cameras.

If you want to add me on Flickr, I'm here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/maxmarsiglietti

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
By the way, tried the x-pro 1 today. It's definitely bulkier than I thought, but it's fantastic, especially the ovf/evf viewfinder. I already knew it could produce excellent pictures, but the viewfinder is just so good.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got an Op/tech Envy strap. It's a nice lighter strap that's good for mirrorless cameras because it's not as bulky and fits in a bag better than regular-sized straps but still has padding.

http://optechusa.com/envy-strap.html

It goes really well with their sling strap adapter. I have it set up that way with the connector on one strap lug of my NEX 5N.

http://optechusa.com/sling-strap-adaptor.html

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
Ugh...I've been spending too much on gear lately. I've been holding off on buying a GX1 and a 20mm 1.7 because the 20mm lens wasn't in stock anywhere.

But now the lens is in stock.

So the only thing preventing me from buying it is my own willpower. Ugh. I'm gonna lose this battle, I think.

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Uncle Ivan posted:

What size is the strap in the NEX photo? debating between regular or long length. Does it feel cramped at all? I don't like a loose wrist strap but I want to be able to reach all the controls. I have regular size wrists but fairly large hands.

These Gordy's straps look awesome by the way.
I believe this is the regular size. I have semi-small hands/wrists and it fits just fine, neither too tight nor too loose, full motion and all controls reachable with no straining against the strap itself.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You will probably love it as well as occasionally become very frustrated with it.

Word of advice: do not use the Fuji supplied strap, not only is it a crap strap but the triangular things that clip into the ears are poorly designed and put a lot of wear on the ears. I use a Domke Gripper on mine (as well as on MY LEICAS) and can recommend it for something fantastically good yet not very expensive.

I really really love the plain fabric hamas strap, combined with the fuji leather case. The hamas strap is so light and thin, was quite cheap too.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

poopinmymouth posted:

I really really love the plain fabric hamas strap, combined with the fuji leather case. The hamas strap is so light and thin, was quite cheap too.

How is the Fuji case? Looks nice in pictures but is pretty expensive here. There are several cheaper alternatives like Zhou that look even nicer.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Well, I've been shooting with the GH2 almost exclusively for a couple weeks now, letting my PM1 gather dust. On a whim (and a screaming deal) I switched it for the P3.

Damnit.

The GH2 is a very competent camera and all, but the Olympus bodies are just so much fun to shoot with. They fit me so well, the controls and customization hit the right points for me, and the camera JPEG engine kicks out such bright images (in a good way). So now I'm eyeing the M5 again, after telling myself repeatedly that there's no point with a GH2 on hand. Which I use for video also.

Grrrrrr. Olympus needs to get the video features or something. And now the DPReview tools are now saying that the M5 won't do video IBIS with manual lenses :(

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Random Task posted:

Grrrrrr. Olympus needs to get the video features or something. And now the DPReview tools are now saying that the M5 won't do video IBIS with manual lenses :(

Supposedly it will with the Dandelion chip.

Which I've asked about in this thread, bu no answer so I'll ask again :)

spankmeister posted:

Any of you guys have any experience with Dandelion chips ??

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Has anyone on here made the switch from a 5D Mark II to the X-Pro 1? I'm most likely going to do so in the next few weeks and I was wondering what the transition period might be like, and how the AF between the two compares.

poopinmymouth
Mar 2, 2005

PROUD 2 B AMERICAN (these colors don't run)

Clayton Bigsby posted:

How is the Fuji case? Looks nice in pictures but is pretty expensive here. There are several cheaper alternatives like Zhou that look even nicer.

The thing is, I haven't tried any others, but I do love the fuji. Agust gave it to me for a present, so I didn't really do any shopping around. The thing I like is the top cover, as I actually use it to keep rain off and from it getting bumped around. It's held up really well and been rained on and even covered in flour and other bakery stuff when I was using it to photograph my bakery items. If I had a chance to play with multiple full cases I might like another one better, but no real complaints about this one other than having to remove it to take out the battery or plug in the usb cable.

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Has anyone on here made the switch from a 5D Mark II to the X-Pro 1? I'm most likely going to do so in the next few weeks and I was wondering what the transition period might be like, and how the AF between the two compares.

I made that switch. It was an easy transition for me since I have the X-100 and have used rangefinder cameras, so the control layout was familiar. I think the AF is about the same. It totally sucks because it won't focus in .000212 seconds in a pitch black room, but otherwise I can live with it. I really like getting images that are as good or better than my 5D2 in a lightweight and compact package that I will actually carry around with me. It's definitely my favorite camera ever and I'm really glad I didn't go with the Leica M9 as I had planned at one time.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Does the Fuji leather case (or a third party solution) for the XP1 let you still use the tripod mount?

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Does the Fuji leather case (or a third party solution) for the XP1 let you still use the tripod mount?
I know the Gariz one does, and it allows battery change without removing the case as well. I think they're e-bay only.

http://www.fujixseries.com/discussion/176/review-of-gariz-x100-half-case/p1

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
Just received the NEX-C3 I picked up on eBay and I'm loving it so far. One question though, how useful is the stock flash? The package I got didn't include the flash and I'm wondering if I should pick one up somewhere. I hardly used the flash on my previous point & shoot (fuji f20) for normal everyday purposes both indoor and outdoor. So I figure with the C3 it'll be even better in low light and I probably won't need the flash at all?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I never used the flash on my 5N until I strapped a makeup mirror to it to bounce it; now I use it all the time.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Got in an NEX-7 with the Sigma 30mm and a K mount adapter. What a fantastic, lightweight combo. It's a seriously capable setup. Using the old Pentax glass I have is a lot of fun.

Random Task
Mar 23, 2012
ASK ME ABOUT BEING A WORTHLESS GODDAMN DEADBEAT AND RUINING CHRISTMAS IN DORKROOM. NO SERIOUSLY, ASK ME, SO I CAN EXPLAIN MYSELF.
Hehe, I got a new toy today. It's fast zoom time!

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!

rexelation posted:

Just received the NEX-C3 I picked up on eBay and I'm loving it so far. One question though, how useful is the stock flash? The package I got didn't include the flash and I'm wondering if I should pick one up somewhere. I hardly used the flash on my previous point & shoot (fuji f20) for normal everyday purposes both indoor and outdoor. So I figure with the C3 it'll be even better in low light and I probably won't need the flash at all?

Hiya, the C3 doesn't come with a flash, did you buy the external accessory?
I didn't, I just use the camera insane high ISO if I really have to. Having a couple of fast lenses helps of course. What lenses did you buy?

waxluthor
May 28, 2003
I got the kit 18-55mm and the 16mm. Did you buy from retail? of all the reviews and retail specs I've seen they all said it comes of a stock flash though. The package I got is a used/open boxed unit and the seller didn't include the flash.

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

I made that switch. It was an easy transition for me since I have the X-100 and have used rangefinder cameras, so the control layout was familiar. I think the AF is about the same. It totally sucks because it won't focus in .000212 seconds in a pitch black room, but otherwise I can live with it. I really like getting images that are as good or better than my 5D2 in a lightweight and compact package that I will actually carry around with me. It's definitely my favorite camera ever and I'm really glad I didn't go with the Leica M9 as I had planned at one time.

I'm going travelling later this month, and was originally looking into buying a 5D mkII/7D. Although the full frame and resultant low light qualities, the ability to use L glass at the correct FOV, in camera improvements are all great reasons for upgrading to a 5D, weight, compactness and being "that guy with the massive DSLR" for me are not.

I looked at the X Pro-1 due to the reasons you've described - great IQ in a compact package, with a small number of lenses. Being able to actually take a decent camera everywhere rather than leaving it at home because it's too much effort to carry it everywhere is a nice thought too. Although I could have a full frame DSLR for the same as an X Pro (something I feel almost guilty about), I sense the X Pro 1 will be taken out significantly more often, and make me less likely to be robbed.

The only real concern I had with the X Pro was the AF. I had the exact question as Anmitzcuaca. If it's the same as the camera I was already thinking about upgrading to, it isn't worth considering in the decision. I feel better knowing this after reading all the "oh god the AF is so terrible that I can't take photos and they are all blurry" comments all over the internet. Thanks :)

RustedChrome
Jun 10, 2007

"do not hold the camera obliquely, or the world will seem to be on an inclined plane."

plannerpirate posted:

The only real concern I had with the X Pro was the AF. I had the exact question as Anmitzcuaca. If it's the same as the camera I was already thinking about upgrading to, it isn't worth considering in the decision. I feel better knowing this after reading all the "oh god the AF is so terrible that I can't take photos and they are all blurry" comments all over the internet. Thanks :)

I took the X-pro with me on a trip to Japan last week. The AF was plenty fast for the street and scenery type shooting that I do. I didn't find a single blurry shot out of the thousand or so I took. (Plenty were badly composed or lacked an interesting subject, but I can't blame the equipment for that)

krackmonkey
Mar 28, 2003

A few years ago, I took my 7D and my NEX3 with me on a roadtrip from Springfield MO back home to Seattle, including Yellowstone. That really opened my eyes to how much fun the NEX was to use, and as a result, all of my best photos from that trip were taken with the NEX.

I was way too afraid of losing or breaking the 7D and my one piece of L Glass to take it out and just use/abuse the gently caress out of them like they're supposed to be treated. More and more I made excuses for why the NEX was a better option, and for me, that's what it became.

I'm not here to tell you I think the NEX 3 is better than the 7D, but for the way I use cameras and my own hang-ups about expensive gear, the NEX system was a godsend. I got rid of my 7D within months of that trip, and the one time I have recently tried to return to a full size SLR system (60D), it just didn't take.

All of the "tinycamera" ergonomic things on the mirrorless end of the spectrum just fit my hands and my mental comfort zone, and as the technology and IQ rises to new levels of awesomeness, it makes the argument for going back to a "normal" SLR that much more irrelevant to me.

That's my little sermon about why I like NEX and M43 so drat much, thank you.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

This is not the pleasure planet I was promised!
I remember someone posting earlier in this thread that they use their NEX-5N to do a lot of concert photography. But after doing a quick search I couldn't find the post about it. I remember the pictures turned out really nice and I wanted to check what lens(es) you were using with it.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
That would be me (http://www.mikechow.com). All my 2012 concert photos were taken with a 5N. I also have some published photos of Andrew W.K. that were done on it too.

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

Yeah, you're the one. Those are some really nice photos. Part of the reason I went out of my way to make sure I got a good hands on with a NEX as I saw how good it was doing in low-light.

What I'm curious about though, is what lens(es) you have paired with your 5N when taking these pictures. If it's not too much to ask.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ManiacMatt posted:

Yeah, you're the one. Those are some really nice photos. Part of the reason I went out of my way to make sure I got a good hands on with a NEX as I saw how good it was doing in low-light.

What I'm curious about though, is what lens(es) you have paired with your 5N when taking these pictures. If it's not too much to ask.

Mostly old film manual focus lenses. Sony just isn't big on producing fast primes right now. If you're not big on manual focus, I'd say get a m4/3 camera. The big saving grace for the 5N is that you can get usable photos at 6400 and 12800.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Picked up the NEX version of the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 today. I wish it had a faster aperture (I really do) but it's one hell of a sharp lens! Very impressed with it, and it's essentially pancake. (gently caress you Sigma for the 46mm filter)

ManiacMatt
Feb 28, 2007

I have no issue with manual focus. The only SLR I've ever owned and used is a canon ae1. I'm getting a NEX 5 on Friday. We had an open box one at my work that I managed to talk my boss down to 200 for it. I'm excited to take it out shooting this summer and there are lots of festivals I want to take it to as well.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

ManiacMatt posted:

I have no issue with manual focus. The only SLR I've ever owned and used is a canon ae1. I'm getting a NEX 5 on Friday. We had an open box one at my work that I managed to talk my boss down to 200 for it. I'm excited to take it out shooting this summer and there are lots of festivals I want to take it to as well.

$200? Really? Well poo poo, you can't go wrong at that price.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

LiquidRain posted:

Picked up the NEX version of the Sigma 30mm f/2.8 today. I wish it had a faster aperture (I really do) but it's one hell of a sharp lens! Very impressed with it, and it's essentially pancake. (gently caress you Sigma for the 46mm filter)

I'm just wondering since I haven't gotten around to getting or using filters yet but is using a step-up ring that big of a problem?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Don't forget you can get the 14mm f2.5 Pana on ebay for $170 or zo.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

You X100 owners out there, do you shoot jpeg or raw? Been a raw shooter with all my Canon gear, but I have to say that I am so pleased with the jpeg output of the X100 (especially in the extended dynamic range modes) that I think I will keep using it unless I really feel the need to do anything else... and the film modes are pretty nifty. "Velvia" really shines:

plannerpirate
Apr 21, 2010

RustedChrome posted:

I took the X-pro with me on a trip to Japan last week. The AF was plenty fast for the street and scenery type shooting that I do. I didn't find a single blurry shot out of the thousand or so I took. (Plenty were badly composed or lacked an interesting subject, but I can't blame the equipment for that)

That's exactly where I'm going. Unfortunately it's a study tour, and we'll be walking/standing non stop for 6 hours a day. I wish I was exaggerating. :suicide: I think we have a couple of free days during this time, so hopefully there'll be some time to go exploring and take some decent photos, as opposed to hurriedly trying photos whilst trying to keep up with everyone.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Clayton Bigsby posted:

You X100 owners out there, do you shoot jpeg or raw? Been a raw shooter with all my Canon gear, but I have to say that I am so pleased with the jpeg output of the X100 (especially in the extended dynamic range modes) that I think I will keep using it unless I really feel the need to do anything else... and the film modes are pretty nifty. "Velvia" really shines:

You know how far denoising has come in the last few iterations of Lightroom/Aperture? Sooner or later there'll be another big breakthrough in some area.

Keep your raws.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

You know how far denoising has come in the last few iterations of Lightroom/Aperture? Sooner or later there'll be another big breakthrough in some area.

Keep your raws.

Well, while I agree in principle...

When LR 3 came out, it breathed new life into some of my older raw files. Those were pictures I was not entirely happy with because of noise, and LR 3 gave me some nice, printable images from them.

However, with the X100 the output is about as good as I could ever want. I can make a huge print that looks gorgeous, there is virtually no noise worth mentioning even at ISO 3200, and the jpeg engine does a better job than I would fiddling with the raw in Lightroom.

I suppose I could just shoot raw+jpeg and just dump the raw files on a disk, but not sure what it would buy me.