Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Alter Ego posted:

Politico REALLY hates Joe Biden.

Personally, I don't know how or why--even if you're not the biggest fan of his politics, Joe's an unimpeachably good person.

I think the vice president is technically unimpeachable seeing as how he would have to preside over his own impeachment.

Oh and guess who's at it again!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
His biggest mistakes being voting for the Iraq war, and flubbing the Thomas confirmation hearings when he was not ready to head that committee yet.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

ufarn posted:

Looks like Benghazi is going to be Hillary's truther bullshit issue, if she runs in the primary.

Truthers have no point, Hillary was the head of the state department when Benghazi happened, and she dropped the ball. Four people died. I think you all are drinking the cool-aid if you believe this won't tank her chances at a 2016 general election victory. There's also the little part of her lying to Rand Paul about the US getting weapons to Syrian rebels through Turkey. Any response other than 'No.' strongly indicates a lie.

Imagine the commercials using footage from that hearing and kiss a Hillary 2016 victory good-bye.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Space Monster posted:

Truthers have no point, Hillary was the head of the state department when Benghazi happened, and she dropped the ball. Four people died. I think you all are drinking the cool-aid if you believe this won't tank her chances at a 2016 general election victory. There's also the little part of her lying to Rand Paul about the US getting weapons to Syrian rebels through Turkey. Any response other than 'No.' strongly indicates a lie.

Imagine the commercials using footage from that hearing and kiss a Hillary 2016 victory good-bye.
That's such a Democrat thing to say without even knowing who the challenger is going to be.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

Space Monster posted:

I think you all are drinking the cool-aid if you believe this won't tank her chances at a 2016 general election victory.

Flavor Aid.

Also I think, when it comes down to it, unfortunately, nobody really cares about the deaths of a few State Department diplomats--least of all Republicans, despite their simulated rage.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Space Monster posted:

Me thinks the Space Monster doth protest too much.

The dawning GOP terror in 2016 is going to be delicious.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Space Monster posted:

That massive deluge of Benghazi attack ads sure tanked Obama's presidential campaign. (Seriously, no one cares about Benghazi just like no one cared about Solyndra or Fast and Furious. It's just another failed GOP attempt to manufacture a scandal.)

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Space Monster posted:

I'm just going to take a stab in the dark here and say that you don't think Colin Powell should have lost his job after 9/11.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Space Monster posted:

How did she drop the ball?

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.
Well come on guys, she was the Secretary of State at the time of the Benghazi incident, therefore

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

the2ndgenesis posted:

Well come on guys, she was the Secretary of State at the time of the Benghazi incident, therefore

Clearly she should have used her powers to read the minds of terrorist extremists so that she would know when and where they would strike. Failure to do so was nothing short of dereliction of duty.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

greatn posted:

His biggest mistakes being voting for the Iraq war, and flubbing the Thomas confirmation hearings when he was not ready to head that committee yet.

You know Biden as Chair of Judiciary is a large portion of the reason Bork didn't get confirmed, right? And that that happened years before Thomas? Biden wasn't perfect on Thomas but it had nothing to do with "being ready" and everything to do with trying to keep personal lives out of politics.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

greatn posted:

How about his hard on for the drug war?

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Biden is very similar to Obama but has a different demeanor.

A Biden presidency would be more of the same. They are establishment Democrats who will keep eroding democratic processes to keep the machine running while throwing bones at social issues that don't affect the corporate overlords.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

Alter Ego posted:

I'm just going to take a stab in the dark here and say that you don't think Colin Powell should have lost his job after 9/11.

Terrorist attacks on US soil don't really fall under the Secretary of State purview. Ambassadors and Embassies do. If I recall correctly the head of the CIA was sacked.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Kalman posted:

You know Biden as Chair of Judiciary is a large portion of the reason Bork didn't get confirmed, right? And that that happened years before Thomas? Biden wasn't perfect on Thomas but it had nothing to do with "being ready" and everything to do with trying to keep personal lives out of politics.

I stand corrected on that point then. Most of my knowledge comes from a documentary I saw on him in 2008, which included the Thomas hearings but not Bork.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Space Monster posted:

Terrorist attacks on US soil don't really fall under the Secretary of State purview. Ambassadors and Embassies do. If I recall correctly the head of the CIA was sacked.

You do not recall correctly. I'm not going to argue that he deserved to keep the job, but George Tenet served as Director of Central Intelligence from 1997-2004.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008
Living in the right wing media bubble is really hurting Republicans and their followers. If you just watch Fox News and listen to talk radio you'd think Bengazi was the biggest scandal in history. If you're a normal person who doesn't watch Fox News or listen to talk radio you give people who are screaming about Bengazi (and Fast and Furious, etc.) a blank look and then can't follow their convoluted conspiracy timeline when they try to explain it.

I don't like Hillary Clinton but she came out of those hearings as the clear winner and made all the Republicans attacking her look like fools.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

greatn posted:

I stand corrected on that point then. Most of my knowledge comes from a documentary I saw on him in 2008, which included the Thomas hearings but not Bork.

I would highly recommend "What It Takes" if you're interested in Biden's history (and, more generally, in the 1988 Presidential candidates). There's some decent discussion of Biden's role in the Bork nomination.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Space Monster posted:

Nope, went on to call the case for WMD in Iraq a "Slam Dunk"

Then after he retired George W. Bush awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Oh for gently caress sake.

quote:

Reporter Toni Yates tweeted N.J. Mayor Cory Booker and WABC. In the tweet, she applauded Newark for its heat help, but added, “Make pet owners get their dogs out of the cold.”

In another tweet, she wrote that she asked the block captain to “do something, call someone,” but doubted he would.

People began re-tweeting the messages, and soon enough the mayor was on the scene with the shivering dog.

“This is brutal weather. This dog is shaking really bad and you just can’t leave your dogs out here on a day like this and go away and expect them to be OK,” the mayor told WABC. “Hypothermia on any animal including a human animal will set in pretty quickly. So this is very sad. You can just feel the dog shaking pretty badly.”

Booker picked up the dog and put it into the back of a police car.

Any of the dozen people in this story could have done something about this, but nope. We get a Cory Booker Heroically Rescues Freezing Dog story instead.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

greatn posted:

The bankruptcy bill was a drat-near unforgivable sin. I've always had a soft spot for Joe just as a personality and been a supporter of him among the field of candidates, but he was full-throated for it and that was impossible to swallow. As someone said above, on many (most? all?) things, he'd be more of the same. I think his foreign policy approach is probably closest to the best thing about him. I know he voted for Iraq, but he wouldn't have started the war and I often find his thoughts on foreign policy moderate and informed for a mainstream American politician.

Also, for some reason I've never identified, Taibbi absolutely loathes him. I'd be very interested to see his full take on why as he's done the Boys On The Bus routine through at least one Biden run.

monoceros4 posted:

Flavor Aid.
Yeah, but nobody remembers that distinction, heh.

Joementum posted:

Any of the dozen people in this story could have done something about this, but nope. We get a Cory Booker Heroically Rescues Freezing Dog story instead.
I saw this go down from my Twitterdome and was rolling my eyes as well. I mean good on Cory I guess, I'm not particularly concerned about the event, but the coverage and the reaction from everyone was ridiculous. It's probably best that Booker runs for Senator before people start tweeting poo poo like, "Hey Mayor, there's someone raping my wife, are you gonna call 911 or what?" or "WTF mayor, my neighbor's house is burnin and u aint did poo poo get down here and fix this poo poo!!!"

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 25, 2013

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Oh for gently caress sake.

Well, in truth it's kind of a "Cory Booker puts his high Klout score to use for the health of dogs everywhere" story. The man is an absolute press whore but issues like this are exactly the kind mayors should be weighing in on.

But yes, save us Cory, he saved a woman, he secured Hot Pockets for the people of Newark, his water will mingle with our water, etc.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

SedanChair posted:

Well, in truth it's kind of a "Cory Booker puts his high Klout score to use for the health of dogs everywhere" story. The man is an absolute press whore but issues like this are exactly the kind mayors should be weighing in on.

No, this is a "look at Cory Booker doing something" story, and there are far more valuable uses of his time.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Hey gently caress you man that dog was cold and apparently the entire city of Newark is so far up its own rear end they can't pick up a drat animal. Seriously though, what a bunch of twats.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

watt par posted:

Hey gently caress you man that dog was cold and apparently the entire city of Newark is so far up its own rear end they can't pick up a drat animal. Seriously though, what a bunch of twats.

You act as though "twat" isn't the de facto demonym for residents of New Jersey.

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

The Entire Universe posted:

You act as though "twat" isn't the de facto demonym for residents of New Jersey.

Same could be said about the residents of every state, thank you very much. :colbert:

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
I'm more concerned that Newark apparently doesn't have any kind of animal control that can handle this kind of situation. And that lack of delegation is worrisome in a leader.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

blackmet posted:

I'm more concerned that Newark apparently doesn't have any kind of animal control that can handle this kind of situation. And that lack of delegation is worrisome in a leader.

I'm sure they do, but it gets more publicity if Booker does it and that could make people pay attention and get their own dogs inside?

I mean, it's not like being Mayor of Newark is that much of a thing that taking an hour to go help a dog is the end of the world.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

blackmet posted:

I don't know the exact relation between county and city government in New Jersey is, but there is an Essex County Animal Control department.

If it's anything like my cities animal control department, they aren't fully staffed 24/7 so during the late hours, there's probably only a handful of people going out on calls.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

blackmet posted:

The vast, vast majority of his "Twitter hero" stuff is getting people's information and then sending them along to the right department, which is a perfectly fine thing for a mayor of a mid-sized city to be doing.

This one was more of a cute photo op than anything, obviously. He's running for higher office, these things will happen.

notthegoatseguy posted:

I don't know the exact relation between county and city government in New Jersey is, but there is an Essex County Animal Control department.

The relationship between the Essex County government and the Newark city government isn't great. Badly broken machine politics, lots of barely functional areas.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jan 26, 2013

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

blackmet posted:

I don't know, but I see a LOT of stray animals in Newark, so it's probably understaffed.

Space Monster
Mar 13, 2009

DynamicSloth posted:

Nope, went on to call the case for WMD in Iraq a "Slam Dunk"

Then after he retired George W. Bush awarded him the Presidential Medal of Freedom.

Oops. Well, he should have been fired then!

TyroneGoldstein
Mar 30, 2005

Waterbed posted:

I don't know, but I see a LOT of stray animals in Newark, so it's probably understaffed.

Newark is not one of the places I'd want to be a canine.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

The Entire Universe posted:

Then she said "Kiss me where it smells funny" and I said, "You want me to take you to New Jersey at this hour?"

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Space Monster posted:

Ask Mitt 'Mittens' Romney how well the "double down on Benghazi as a scandal" attack angle worked. It didn't work then, and it won't work in 3 years. Hillary should be so lucky that the Republicans count on her involvement in the Benghazi "scandal" as their silver bullet to kill her campaign.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Joe Biden/Charismatic Young Politician would make an intimidating ticket. It'd basically be the Democratic version of the McCain ticket, but I'd be ok with that as long as this Charismatic Young Politician is actually vetted.

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

JT Jag posted:

Joe Biden/Charismatic Young Politician would make an intimidating ticket. It'd basically be the Democratic version of the McCain ticket, but I'd be ok with that as long as this Charismatic Young Politician is actually vetted.

I don't necessary disagree with the idea that Biden/someone could make a good ticket, but I do find it a little amusing that you're comparing to one which lost by nearly 200 EV's.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

Ask Mitt 'Mittens' Romney how well the "double down on Benghazi as a scandal" attack angle worked. It didn't work then, and it won't work in 3 years. Hillary should be so lucky that the Republicans count on her involvement in the Benghazi "scandal" as their silver bullet to kill her campaign.

I enjoyed Senate Republicans kind of glumly following up on the now-pointless Benghazi inquiry this week. Way to give Hillary a springboard guys.

I wonder if Huma picked the concussion-frames. Hillary is at the opposite end of "pulling off horn-rims" from Wolf Blitzer:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

cheese posted:

Ask Mitt 'Mittens' Romney how well the "double down on Benghazi as a scandal" attack angle worked.

Can we stop with this talking point? Just because Romney lost doesn't mean everything Republicans tried to do had a negative impact. I still can't go a day without hearing about Benghazi or Fast & Furious. People listen to that poo poo. In 3 years there'll probably be a whole new scandal and this one will be long forgotten, but don't just write everything that they've attempted already as unsuccessful with a large group of voters. For all we know, Romney got 5% from people who were outraged about a manufactured Benghazi conspiracy and thought Obama didn't do enough about it.

• Locked thread