Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

Azran posted:

So I just downloaded this game, and holy poo poo - it's great. I'm playing with 218ms and I'm still ranking in the top 3, even though I just jumped into a match without using the tutorial. :v:

There's so much information right now I feel kind of overwhelmed. I didn't like the appearance of the starting Mech, but it seems you can buy other parts so that's my Nº1 complaint gone. Can you only get those through real money?

Any tips?

You're in luck! The starter mech gets free unlockable parts that make it look really cool and actually have different models, not just a different skin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The walking microwave is the best robot of the year. :mad:

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Haha, holy poo poo. I ended up getting the G2 Assault, and while it took some getting used to (it doesn't really have the mid-range power that the G1 did) it loving TEARS poo poo UP in close quarters. If you manage to flank somebody, they're dead.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I wish they would count the Fred towards the need to max the Assault in order to buy the G2 with blue points. I maxed the Fred but don't even have the assault.

Is the regular assault terribly different from Fred?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Assault was my second mech, and my second rank 6.

I had this whole bulletpoints thing highlighting the differences, but it really just comes down to the Assault being a tougher (most HP out of any B class but the Assault G2), Faster Recruit that unlocks the Assault rifle last, and starts with the SMC. The main Advantage to the Recruit is the 4 second natural heat cooldown (Over the Recruit's 5.75), and having one of the biggest Fueltank/Fuel regen combos and radar of the B classes. If you want more of the same, but "Better" in direct combat, Assault. If you want some variety, something else.

Also, people making "Recruit is OP" Threads because everyone expects starter mechs to be pieces of self destructing poo poo that can't kill them like MWO trial mechs were when I last played MWO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_WyEfmD7qhs&index=133

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

:siren: More patch notes! :siren:

Sad that thrusters and repair drones weren't universal like camos? Dry those tears!

Frustrated at Technician not having a prestige weapon for nearly a year? Change is on the way!

https://community.playhawken.com/topic/58215-may-update-patch-notes/

quote:

Greetings pilots!

Soon we'll be releasing our May Update for HAWKEN. New camouflages, player emblems, mech taunts and a new repair drone are being added, as well as additional balance changes, bug fixes and general improvements.

A prestige weapon for the Technician has also been added! You can find the details on it below in our "Weapons" section.

Below are the detailed patch notes for our minor update. Enjoy!

Special Notices
  • Thrusters and repair drones have been made global. If you buy one for a single mech, they are now unlocked on all mechs. This works retroactively with previously purchased thrusters and repair drones. Due to this change, the prices of thrusters and drones have been adjusted.
  • 24 player Mayhem Servers are available again in some regions.
  • Added "Exploration Mode", a new single-player feature that allows players to explore each map with no time limit. Hit TAB to toggle between 3rd person and 1st person perspective.

Weapons

NEW Technician Prestige Weapon
  • Name: PN-223
  • Function: A close to medium range weapon that fires in 3 round bursts.
  • Weapon Statistics:
    • Damage: 14
    • Minimum Damage: 7
    • Heat per Shot: 1.25
    • Rate of Fire: 0.5 sec

Abilities
  • G2 Blitz (G2 Raider)
    • Decreased Fuel Consumption per Second from 38.5 liters/sec to 25 liters/sec
    • Increased cooldown from 10 to 25 seconds

Customizations
  • NEW Pilot Emblems
  • NEW Repair Drone
    • Bomber
  • NEW Camouflages
  • NEW Mech Taunts
    • Light: Warm It Up
    • Medium: Haters Gonna Hate
    • Heavy: Give Em' the Bird

General Improvements
  • An option has been added to filter out empty servers on the Server Browser.
  • AI in Co-Op TDM have learned some new things to say.
  • AI have received some new names in Co-Op TDM, Co-Op Bot Destruction, Offline TDM, and Offline Bot Destruction.
  • New admin commands have been added for private servers.

Bugs Fixed
  • Unlocking the M1 Desert Flak camo after ranking up a mech will no longer unlock it for all mechs
  • Fixed a bug in VR Training where invisible projectile collision hindered progression during the target drone training
  • The 4th progression card no longer is blank when a new account logs in for the first time
  • Fixed a bug where player would spawn in the air near S1 on Front Line
  • Private Servers – Cleaned up messaging when using admin commands to switch from a Co-Op to a VS game
  • Private Servers – Fixed a bug where "adminlogout" was not working
  • Private Servers - There are no longer MMR restrictions when joining private servers
  • Items and internals will now show an "incompatible" warning on the garage description with duplicate items of different sizes

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

holy poo poo this is boss

fe: gonna need a new thread title!

quote:

* Added "Exploration Mode", a new single-player feature that allows players to explore each map with no time limit. Hit TAB to toggle between 3rd person and 1st person perspective.

:lol: new emblem circa 1996

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Well, here's hoping that set of thrusters and Repair Drone I have been eying for my Incinerator are still retroactively global if I buy them two minutes from now before the price hike.

Also holy poo poo. a Tech prestige weapon. I still haven't even touched the tech but hey, progress.

EDIT: Oversized fire trail thrusters and squirt gun drone it is then.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 8, 2014

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

Section Z posted:

Well, here's hoping that set of thrusters and Repair Drone I have been eying for my Incinerator are still retroactively global if I buy them two minutes from now before the price hike.

Also holy poo poo. a Tech prestige weapon. I still haven't even touched the tech but hey, progress.

Yeah, they should be retroactive, barring a problem with the system - the camos were all retroactive when they made the global switch for them.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Hopefully we'll still get MC refunds for thrusters/drones we own duplicates of like we did with camos. Either way, this is great. All that remains now is global taunts.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
Was the match joining system fixed in the last update? I was finally put on a decent team on Missile Assault and actually managed to win a match for the first time since downloading this game a few months ago.

Also, any plans to add more co-op modes?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Dr. Lenin posted:

Was the match joining system fixed in the last update? I was finally put on a decent team on Missile Assault and actually managed to win a match for the first time since downloading this game a few months ago.

Also, any plans to add more co-op modes?

I occasionally get dumped onto a hopeless team who gets dismantled trying to triple-cap the silos or gives up on the AA and just plinks away at the enemy ship from spawn. It isn't all the time though. Maybe one out of every 5-8 times I hop in the queue.

I really wish the US Central server was more active. I get fair to decent latency with the East and West servers but the Central ones are lovely when I can get a match.

Saturnine Aberrance
Sep 6, 2010

Creator.

Please make me flesh.

More patch notes have just arrived! Including one thing very near and dear to me.

Here's the direct link: (click)

quote:

Greetings pilots!

May is the month of updates it seems! On May 15, we'll be releasing another minor update for HAWKEN. The main feature in this patch is a special map we've designed specifically for the Fight Club community event! The map is basic, but will hopefully provide our community with an awesome playground to host future Fight Club events.

We've also performed some additional economy rebalance. Many mechs, weapons and items have had their HC and MC costs reduced.

Below are the detailed patch notes for this minor update. Enjoy!

Special Notices
  • Economy Rebalance
    • All mechs have had their MC costs reduced.
    • All primary weapons and items have had their MC and HC costs reduced.

Features
  • Test Arena Map
    • This is a new, untextured test map in an arena style designed primarily for competitive 1v1 matches, also known as HAWKEN Fight Club. This map is only accessible through private servers.

• The Rules of Fight Club
      • In fight club, pilots will face off in a Best of Three 1 v 1 fight to the death to determine who is the ultimate mech pilot.
      • Two pilots will enter the arena via the mech teleporters located on the BLUE and RED side of the arena into their designated "Staging Pits".
      • After both pilots are ready and in their respective "Staging Pits", a spectator pilot will begin the match countdown for the battle to begin.
      • After the match countdown reaches "Zero" or "GO!" , the match begins and the two competitors begin their match.
      • After a player has lost 2 rounds, that player is eliminated from the competition and two new pilots will move on into the arena to take their place.
      • The last pilot standing at the end of the fight club is the victor!
      • Remember, these are merely suggestions on how you, the players, organize and conduct your Fight Club matches. If you feel your event would run better with different rules or organization, go for it! This map exists for the sole purpose of being used by our creative community.
    • Spectating Made Easier
      • Special rules have been applied to the Fight Club map that makes spectating the arena easier.
      • While in the spectator stand, you will not be able to fire, use items, and most of the HUD has been disabled to enable players to watch the fights clearly.
    • Use the Teleporters!
      • Simply walking up to the spinning teleporters will teleport you in and out of the arena.
      • There are also two more teleportation devices installed on the sides of the arena to allow players to move between the arena's sides.
    • Swap Your Mechs
      • There are multiple Mech Swap Stations installed around the arena.
      • If you need to change Mech before battles or need refresh your items and ability, simply walk up to one of the many Mech Swap stations and press the "E" button.

-a poo poo load of price reductions on almost everything-

Bugs Fixed
  • Fixed a bug where thrusters were not unlocking globally if a player had purchased them in the past.
  • Fixed a bug where lots of blank spots were appearing on the Service Awards list.
  • Viewing another player's profile now shows the correct count for multi-kills (stat will show as 0 until a player gets another multi kill).
  • Fixed a bug where the "Launch" button wouldn't revert back to "Play" if the player left the
  • Quick Match or Server Browser screens.
  • Duplicate Market offers no longer appear after player completes any training mode.
  • Buying another mech that is already owned now shows the correct messaging.
  • Fixed a bug where Incinerator's SAARE launcher would not always play the fire animation.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It's pretty cool that they're doing this for the community.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm so down to get destroyed in Goon Club.

On an unrelated note, Hawken has been crashing if I run it on my second monitor (off my laptop). It used to run fine in this config. Anyone else having this issue? It still works fine if I just use the laptop screen but it's small and not so great.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I decided to start up Hawken a few minutes ago to see the new stuff they've added and it installed .NET framework. Since I was already up-to-date, it's now forced my computer into an infinite "update" loop that automatically reboots my computer after about a minute. I'm currently in safe-mode trying to figure out how the gently caress I'm going to fix this so I can use my computer again.

Great job guys!

EDIT: Found the bastard. If this happens to anyone else, boot in Safe Mode and run CCleaner. Kill UE3Redist.exe from the Startup list.

Congrats on accidentally creating a rootkit on up-to-date computers.

The Joe Man fucked around with this message at 05:15 on May 15, 2014

Pseudophile
Dec 25, 2007

It's amazing how much hate I've been getting lately since I swapped my scout from dark angel green/gold to basic black with vanguard gold wings.

I've been told to get cancer tonight. Guess I'm doing something right.

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011
loving Christ, about drat time they reduce the prices.

I'm in as SewerShark and I need to hang out with dudes so I don't get stuck with pubbies who refuse to stick together.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I'm not gonna have a comp for a solid 2 weeks, but I'm actually kinda pumped for this update.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Anyone using the new Tech gun yet? I'm near to buying it but the stupid G2 fatboy drained my HC.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm trying the game for the third time, (Alpha, Beta, now) and this is the first time I've felt it was worth playing. Been doing pretty well, and I've got enough to pick up another mech. I was thinking about the G2 Assault, as double machine guns seem fun, but I'm getting mixed messages as to whether it's good or not. Have any of you tried it? Also, the button to buy it with in-game cash is greyed out. Do I need to buy the first gen before I can get the second gen?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Magnetic North posted:

I'm trying the game for the third time, (Alpha, Beta, now) and this is the first time I've felt it was worth playing. Been doing pretty well, and I've got enough to pick up another mech. I was thinking about the G2 Assault, as double machine guns seem fun, but I'm getting mixed messages as to whether it's good or not. Have any of you tried it? Also, the button to buy it with in-game cash is greyed out. Do I need to buy the first gen before I can get the second gen?

You need to buy the 1st gen Assault, and then get it to max rank before you can unlock the G2 with HC.

That said, the G2 is pretty fun, but in my experience it requires you to be a lot more careful than the G1 does. It can shred enemies quickly, but it builds up heat fast, and the minigun spinup requires you to be careful too. It's really fun when played as a close-range ambush class though - sneak up on an enemy, spin up, and tear them apart before they can even turn around. Just remember that you can't do poo poo at mid to long range.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Freak Futanari posted:

You need to buy the 1st gen Assault, and then get it to max rank before you can unlock the G2 with HC.

That said, the G2 is pretty fun, but in my experience it requires you to be a lot more careful than the G1 does. It can shred enemies quickly, but it builds up heat fast, and the minigun spinup requires you to be careful too. It's really fun when played as a close-range ambush class though - sneak up on an enemy, spin up, and tear them apart before they can even turn around. Just remember that you can't do poo poo at mid to long range.

Oh, that's mildly annoying. About how long does it take to max rank something?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Oh, that's mildly annoying. About how long does it take to max rank something?

They have since lowered the rank up requirements somewhat, but in my :spergin: note taking across my Recruit, Assault, Infiltrator, etc I averaged about 9 hours of mech playtime for rank 5, 15 hours total for rank 6.

On that note, I was averaging around 15k HC at rank 5, 19k HC at rank 6 before they lowered the rank up requirments. It is almost 13k to buy the G2 Assault, and most robots. That "Weapon and Item price reduction" of about 1k for the weapons and top tier Items means it now takes ALMOST as much as a mech to unlock your guns, instead of AS much as a mech :rolleyes:

Baby steps, all the other changes have been awesome and charitable (Hello, Global Thrusters and Repair Drones). Even if it is still basically a decision of "Do I buy guns for a Mech, Fill out my Deploy Item Slots on one Mech, or buy an entirely new mech for the same price?". While I have been unlocking guns on principle, and Internals are generously priced, I have barely touched Items.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I played a game for the first time in a few weeks today (I got distracted by Titanfall and Dark Souls 2) and it turns out I lost all my awesome skills. Trying to play a Scout did not go well, but I did marginally better with my Assault, so I guess I'll take it the rest of the way to rank 6 so I can get the G2.

That said, where the hell is everyone? It used to be that Hypha would be online at all hours but now the entirety of my friends list is offline.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Lemon Curdistan posted:

That said, where the hell is everyone? It used to be that Hypha would be online at all hours but now the entirety of my friends list is offline.

I had to uninstall indefinitely until they fix their installer infinite-reboot loop.

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
I'm also coming back to Hawken after getting a little tired of Titanfall. I really like the increased time to kill and how it affects firefights. I'm finding most of my score is a mixture of cowardice and simply walking everywhere instead of boosting, it's surprisingly easy to sneak up on people in this.

Also the load times on the maps are crazy fast, I guess the levels are kind of small objectively?, but doesn't feel that way.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Funkameleon posted:

I'm also coming back to Hawken after getting a little tired of Titanfall. I really like the increased time to kill and how it affects firefights. I'm finding most of my score is a mixture of cowardice and simply walking everywhere instead of boosting, it's surprisingly easy to sneak up on people in this.

Also the load times on the maps are crazy fast, I guess the levels are kind of small objectively?, but doesn't feel that way.

This, and the fact my Assault Rifle could reliable tickle to death almost finished enemies running off into the distance are why I ended up with a 12 and 10s killstreaks on my Recruit, and Assault/Infiltrator. On that note, my experiences trying to flank with the Recruit and Assault served me better than the cloaking device ever did when I picked up the Infiltrator and had a great time with it. I probably wouldn't have quite as much fun with it now that the lower rear damage bonus to turret mode C mechs means charged EOC and Grenade will not punish them as much for sitting back all match never helping their team capture the AA.

EDIT: vvv This man speaks the truth about Recruit/Assault.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 25, 2014

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Funkameleon posted:

Nah, it's just running UE3 instead of a horrible hacked-together version of Source.

Section Z posted:

This, and the fact my Assault Rifle could reliable tickle to death almost finished enemies running off into the distance are why I ended up with a 12 and 10s killstreaks on my Recruit, and Assault/Infiltrator.

How to Assault/Recruit 101: you're fast, so go for the flank. Unlike Lights you won't explode when the enemy turns towards you, and you've got high sustained damage thanks to coolant flush, so you can really do some damage if you engage the an enemy blob that's being pinned down by the rest of your team.

This doesn't stop me from getting carried away by the vulcan and sometimes playing like a TF2 heavy. :negative:

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

I don't know if this is the right place, but I have a bunch of these:

8 codes, or $40 worth. If anyone would like to pick them up at a discount, shoot me a PM or an email at legitimateemail AT gmail DOT com

Funkameleon
Jan 27, 2009
Does anyone get any mileage out of the Predator? I played around with it a bit when it was on trial but in the end I felt I'd rather ambush people with scout

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
So how do you go about finding goons who play this game? So far I've only seen one person in the Steam group actually playing.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I'm on a sabbatical right now, due to moving. As for predator, each weapon provides different play styles. Breacher lets you blast a guy at short range then snipe them as they run away (or snipe repairing fools far away) t32 lets you stick to people and destroy them up close (not sure if it's been nerfed at all) and eoc-r lets you area deny like a beast, as well as letting you alpha light mechs ezpz.

I always preferred eoc-r.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

So I remembered I had a $25 voucher for this game, is there anything I would want to grab straight off the bat?

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Cosmetics are the only thing you should spend realbux on, now that they're global. Camos, drones, boosters.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Ok, running around in a berserker is pretty fun. Any specific items/internals I should be getting?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Acer Pilot posted:

Ok, running around in a berserker is pretty fun. Any specific items/internals I should be getting?

I haven't played this in over a few months, but Air Compressor brought my Berserker KDR from negative to 2.33, by the time I hit just short of 3 hours total playtime with the thing. I'm too much of a cheapskate for Deployable items, but internals are reasonably priced.

Can you still air dodge 4 times in a row on a full tank of gas, 3 on average if you aren't forcing it with an Air Compressor Berserker? Though I got the best use out of it by hurling myself behind cover at the last second, or things like leaping off the top of Origin and then side boosting onto the walkways while people chasing me just hit the bottom.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 11, 2014

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Just came back as well. Loving the changes to the Vanguard, it was my go-to back in February, and feels like it plays (mostly) like I had imagined it should. Probably ought to join the Steam Group at some point today. The matches seem slightly better at being balanced now, but they're still off by some margin.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I think the problem is that it's too little too late. Barring a massive marketing campaign, the game will wither out. It's down to like 1000 on weekends now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I think the problem is that it's too little too late. Barring a massive marketing campaign, the game will wither out. It's down to like 1000 on weekends now

And 980 are skeetzerkers whose only goal in life is to float in the air before my flak guns like clay pigeons?

That poo poo makes the game so drat boring and predictable. I don't just want to win, I want to murder more than annoying little footballs who think invincibility is two feet off the ground.

• Locked thread