Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Goes to show it's good to have people critique your ideas, I'm much happier with that concept than I am with the original parallel parking suggestion above. Thanks for the comment Quadratic_Wizard, sometimes you need mediocre ideas knocked down to make room for better ones. I'll try and apply a similar line of thinking to my other ideas as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bowmore posted:

Does anyone write/publish Dresden Files adventures that aren't the free ones on DTRPG?
So nobody knows of anything?

bowmore fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Oct 4, 2015

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
Is a stunt that gives +2 to athletics to dodge bullets too powerful?

My group is new to fate and some are getting their asses handed to them during firefights. I started a Firefly game and suggested they not double up on all their plus five, or plus four skills ( my group has a little bit of a "I pick the lock, ME TOO! I do charm the cop, ME TOO!" problem) so probably only one guy has athletics at that level. I really like the system, but I'm not sure it's clicking for everyone else. I don't think anyone has made up their own stunts. Maybe I could add in Bullet proof vests as gear or something? Right now I'm running the system pretty close to default, just a couple custom skills.

Serf
May 5, 2011

WaywardWoodwose posted:

Is a stunt that gives +2 to athletics to dodge bullets too powerful?

My group is new to fate and some are getting their asses handed to them during firefights. I started a Firefly game and suggested they not double up on all their plus five, or plus four skills ( my group has a little bit of a "I pick the lock, ME TOO! I do charm the cop, ME TOO!" problem) so probably only one guy has athletics at that level. I really like the system, but I'm not sure it's clicking for everyone else. I don't think anyone has made up their own stunts. Maybe I could add in Bullet proof vests as gear or something? Right now I'm running the system pretty close to default, just a couple custom skills.

I don't think so, no. Something like "+2 to Athletics rolls to defend against attacks made with firearms" would work just fine. If they're having trouble in combat, throwing in a couple Armor:1 or Armor:2 bulletproof vests that break after a couple fights wouldn't be so bad. Also don't be afraid to work with them on reconfiguring their skills if they feel like they're getting the short end of the stick in combat. Maybe explain that your game is based around them being a team, so they should consider diversifying their skills more to have their bases covered?

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
Hey, so looking at that Smash! ability gave me an idea for a stunt combination/mechanic. The basic idea is that it's like artillery in video games where great big markers telegraphs an incoming artillery strike, followed by a massive explosion that causes extensive damage to anyone unlucky enough to be caught in the blast.

quote:

Fire for Effect!: Spend a fate point and take an action to attack all characters in all zones you have placed a 'Dialled In' aspect in, using Signals (Special Skill) vs Athletics. Make one roll per zone so affected. (With Weapon 2? Probably unnecessary.)

Dialled In: When gaining free invocations on a 'Dialled In' aspect as a result of a Notice check, you may instead create an additional Dialed In aspect with no free invocations in an adjacent zone.

With Dialled In being an aspect created on zones using the Notice skill. Thoughts on this? I figure it would make for a nice character playstyle where they can create a massive threat in a zone, but also presents opportunity for counterplay by moving out of the zone or moving into a zone with one of the character's allies. I'm not sure about the supporting stunt, either - that one is to try and make it more likely to come up in the course of a conflict, but it also seems weirdly mechanical for a stunt.

EDIT: Had a couple more ideas:

quote:

Invincible Warrior: Every time an enemy fails to damage you with an attack, gain a cumulative armor 1 and weapon 1 until the end of the scene. If you take damage from an attack, these bonuses disappear.

Basically you become more and more powerful and difficult to injure as long as you keep successfully defending against attacks. But if someone punches through your defences, you become mortal once more.

quote:

Now You've Made Me Angry: Spend a fate point when you take damage from an attack to gain Weapon equal to the damage taken for the remainder of the scene. This does not stack.

Basically the opposite of Invincible Warrior - where with the former you're strong against repeated weak attacks but susceptible to a spike, with this one you become very very dangerous if you take a huge attack. Of course, that also means taking a lot of stress so you may be in a bad spot if you can't end it quickly once you have the bonus.

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Oct 4, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan
Does 'fail to damage you with an attack' include misses? Because if so Invincible Warrior is broken. It effectively adds unlimited defensive power to the character and a chunk of extra damage on top.

Pingcode
Feb 25, 2011
The idea is that it triggers on successful and tied defences - basically, if an enemy attacks you and you successfully defend against them, or Armour soaks all the shifts of the attack.

My math here is balanced around the Equipment stunt standard of 1 stunt = Armour 2 or Weapon 4. One proc of Invincible Warrior works out to a tiny bit less than a single stunt worth on a miss, pulling ahead on two consecutive misses. On any given Defend, you gain a soft +1 to Defends, plus a further +1 to Attacks. However, unless you succeed on the defend based on raw skill alone, a successful IW defend will create a boost on you because Armor only drops to a tie (thus they get a boost for tying). So your opponent gains a one shot +2, while you gain a persistent +1. Thus, in the worst case, an opponent will gradually create enough boosts to get that vital invincibility breaking shot through.

So it can scale infinitely, but requires continued investment of resources to scale, because your opponents can counterplay you by pouring a pile of boosts/CAs/whatever into a shot to crack you open. Combined with the generally short battles in FATE, I'm hoping it'll add up to an interesting stunt that changes the character's playstyle. Or, failing that, a gimmick boss.

EDIT: The flavour is essentially that the character is part of the terminator archetype - every time their enemies try to bring them down to seemingly no effect, they become more and more impossible to hurt to the point where it seems like they're totally invincible. Until someone finally manages to hurt them, and that invincibility evaporates in an instant; now they're only mortal.

Pingcode fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Oct 4, 2015

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Serf posted:

I don't think so, no. Something like "+2 to Athletics rolls to defend against attacks made with firearms" would work just fine. If they're having trouble in combat, throwing in a couple Armor:1 or Armor:2 bulletproof vests that break after a couple fights wouldn't be so bad. Also don't be afraid to work with them on reconfiguring their skills if they feel like they're getting the short end of the stick in combat. Maybe explain that your game is based around them being a team, so they should consider diversifying their skills more to have their bases covered?

I think I'll print up some gear on cards and give each one an aspect or two to try to bend the game back to a more pulpy feel. The real problems are coming from a couple of players not wanting to accept compels or concede conflicts ( so they run out of fate points ), and the combat being so wildly different than the more traditional games we play. Also a part of me still feels a little bad about what happened to the captain. at the end of the last game she rappelled out of the ship to extract a hostage from a hotel by window, and when the guard/assassin came in, she chose to fight it out rather than let the ship pull them both out the window. I had looked over her character sheet, but somehow not noticed that she had no ranks in athletics and maybe +1 shoot/fight, so after only two or three rounds she had filled two consequence boxes.

Also, has any one got something like fate character sheets shrunk down to MtG cards size? I was hoping to put characters, ships, NPCs, recurring areas, and any gear with aspects(tactical vest, 1 armor, lots of pockets, jangley ) into card sleeves to give people something to hold and pass around. I'm hoping seeing a stream of aspects and what not would better illustrate how the system works, and when someone finally runs out of grenades, they can just pass the BIG BAG OF GRENADES card back, rules and all, without having to erase stuff from their sheet.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Bumpin' my own thread to let people know about some Fate stuff they might be interested in:

A new playtest pack for Eclipse Phase Fate has been released.

Interface Zero 2.0 is kickstarting a Fate edition. I0 is a very good, in-depth cyberpunk setting that not only incorporates more modern sci-fi and transhumanist ideas, but also takes into account how the rest of the world (like the Middle East or the Soviet Union) is dealing with the state of things, instead of just focusing on one city.

Hydra Cooperative just released the Fate Core rules for their sci-fi setting Strange Stars.

I love Strange Stars; it's an amazing mix of old-school sci-fi mixed with modern sci-fi ideas, and manages to make a complete gameable setting in 32 pages. The Fate rules have a modification of Diaspora's world and system generation, as well as a "Factions" system that works like FAE.

Plus I love the presentation.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 14, 2015

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Any idea how to handle this stunt? I've got a player with a blaster that can fire special ricocheting rounds that spang around like flubber and attack everyone in a zone, but it costs a fate point to use.

How would that work against mobs where I kind of roll a bunch of people into one? You already take excess shifts and put them onto other dudes for multiple takedowns thanks to the overflow rules.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

ShineDog posted:

Any idea how to handle this stunt? I've got a player with a blaster that can fire special ricocheting rounds that spang around like flubber and attack everyone in a zone, but it costs a fate point to use.

How would that work against mobs where I kind of roll a bunch of people into one? You already take excess shifts and put them onto other dudes for multiple takedowns thanks to the overflow rules.

Give it +2 damage against mobs maybe?

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

ShineDog posted:

For the move, it's already working to its best effect and can't activate. Stunts apply specifically.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Reading the rules it appears mobs of NPCs still have individual stress tracks for those NPCs, so it would still be advantageous to use it from the letter of that stunt.

Next one - as I said, following robo logic personal equipment goes in with the stunts rather than the aspects that vanilla fate suggests. That means though that there are a couple of times where it seems thematically appropriate to let the players invoke the gear as if it was an aspect, say, "I shoot out of cover with my jetpack and blast the surprised gangster, +2 on my shooting roll and I spend a fate point" rather than having him use the usual create advantage and splitting it over 2 rounds. Am I breaking things horribly by doing this? It seems the pertinent balancing mechanic is - if it doesn't require an action to set up the bonus, you need to spend a fate point, and that's in effect here.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

There's nothing wrong with modeling gear as both a stunt and an aspect. If the piece of equipment is important enough, it's probably worth working into an aspect like "Rocket Ranger" or something.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Stunt vs. Aspect on a piece of equipment is all about what it lets you do, imo. An extra-normal mode of movement, like a jetpack gives you, is definitely a stunt. However, it should also have a built-in Aspect "space age jet pack" or something, that will let you invoke it for maneuverability, and compel it for malfunctions or whatever. This is par for a lot of what the game considers an "Extra".

I would probably leave it at that if it just costs a stunt slot.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Oh, I just found out there's a part-time gods for Fate now? How is it?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Oh, I just found out there's a part-time gods for Fate now? How is it?

It works off Fate Core, with the Manifestations being treated skills. The Manifestations from PTG are all there (Aegis, Minion, Oracle, etc.), and each can perform different actions and have stunts as normal, with penalties applied if the action you're trying to take the further it is out of your divine purview. So the God of Water could use Puppetry to manipulate a glass of water no problem, but a cloud (which is technically water but not really) or an energy drink (which is water with a shitton of chemicals in it) would probably get a -2 or so.

You also still have Bonds to tie you to your mortal life, but here they're treated as aspects with their own stress tracks and one available consequence slot. Bonds can be attacked and take stress if they're neglected or ignored, and if a Bond it completely taken out it's gone permanently. Losing all your Bonds means you've cut ties to your mortal life and are consumed by your divine power (i.e., you're deadNPC'd).

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Sounds decent enough, I might have to try it: I love me some Scion-like game. (Unless it IS Scion)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

My copy of Evil Hat's latest FAE dooble came in the other day: It's Not My Fault!

It's an instant-one-shot kit; there are 20 character cards, each of which has a character type, three approaches, and a stunt. Every player picks two and is dealt a third card at random. That's your character. Add up the number you got each approach to get their stats, the card titles become aspects, you get those stunts. Boom, done.

Then the GM deals a "Where Are You Now", "What Brought You To This", and "How It's About To Get Worse" card to determine the current situation. Then each player gets a chance to explain how the current mess is not their fault, it's the fault of the person on their right. Once the blame is assigned, you start playing.

It's a really neat little setup, and I hope they do some more genre-specific expansions. I think a sci-fi setup would be pretty fun.

There's also a "support pack" that has double-sided Fate reference cards and FAE character cards. I can see grabbing a few packs of these before running demos at conventions.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
I got the Atomic Robo RPG from one of the latest Bundles of Holding and I have to say this is by far my favorite presentation of Fate. Fate as presented in Fate Core is a good game but it being represented as a generic toolkit system makes it somewhat bland. Atomic Robo presents the rules just right, with examples from the fiction. I especially love how they managed to tie the action in the comics to the table chatter. ("What do you want to call the advantage?" "Buicks!")

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I wonder what's everyone thoughts on No-Skill Fate. I don't know if it appears in any other works, but it can be found in the PWYW The Three Rocketeers supplement. The gist of the system differences go like this:

• While technically FATE Core, there are no skills.
  • Players make five aspects as usual, but they are categorized. The core concept one is the most important, as you will see later.
  • At any time a player has agency, they can make one of the four actions.
  • When they do, for every aspect that applies, they get a +1 Bonus. If their core aspect applies, they get a +2 bonus from it instead of a +1 bonus.
  • This is not an invoke and does not cost Fate points. Any aspect can be invoked as normal even if they applied a bonus to the roll in the prior step.
  • As a result, stunts are more about getting +2-+1 bonuses about one action with a narrative hook.
  • While I don't know if this is The Three Rocketeers or No-Skill Fate, you get only one normal Stunt and one specialized stunt to the setting. In TTR's case, fencing stunts.
  • You can buy additional normal stunts with Refresh as normal.
  • For NPCs, they are made just like they are in FAE.
  • Mooks just get a straight rating, 2-3 things they're skilled at, 2 things they're bad at, an aspect or two, and some stress boxes. Their rating goes up one when their skill applies and down one when it doesn't. Mooks can gang up.

My main point of issue is that it can exacerbate a problem I ran into with FAE. That problem being that people will always try to get their best approaches to apply. In this case, unless you have players fully buying into fair play, players may attempt to always try to force as many aspects as possible as a bonus to a roll. I can see this turning into a bit of arguing too, if an insufficient level of trust and fair play exists between the GM and the player.

A part of me likes the idea of it and I find it kind of smooth, but that issue nags at me. What does everyone else think?

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Covok posted:

I wonder what's everyone thoughts on No-Skill Fate. I don't know if it appears in any other works, but it can be found in the PWYW The Three Rocketeers supplement. The gist of the system differences go like this:

• While technically FATE Core, there are no skills.
  • Players make five aspects as usual, but they are categorized. The core concept one is the most important, as you will see later.
  • At any time a player has agency, they can make one of the four actions.
  • When they do, for every aspect that applies, they get a +1 Bonus. If their core aspect applies, they get a +2 bonus from it instead of a +1 bonus.
  • This is not an invoke and does not cost Fate points. Any aspect can be invoked as normal even if they applied a bonus to the roll in the prior step.
  • As a result, stunts are more about getting +2-+1 bonuses about one action with a narrative hook.
  • While I don't know if this is The Three Rocketeers or No-Skill Fate, you get only one normal Stunt and one specialized stunt to the setting. In TTR's case, fencing stunts.
  • You can buy additional normal stunts with Refresh as normal.
  • For NPCs, they are made just like they are in FAE.
  • Mooks just get a straight rating, 2-3 things they're skilled at, 2 things they're bad at, an aspect or two, and some stress boxes. Their rating goes up one when their skill applies and down one when it doesn't. Mooks can gang up.

My main point of issue is that it can exacerbate a problem I ran into with FAE. That problem being that people will always try to get their best approaches to apply. In this case, unless you have players fully buying into fair play, players may attempt to always try to force as many aspects as possible as a bonus to a roll. I can see this turning into a bit of arguing too, if an insufficient level of trust and fair play exists between the GM and the player.

A part of me likes the idea of it and I find it kind of smooth, but that issue nags at me. What does everyone else think?

What's the purpose of using this instead of using the 'Aspects Are Skills' variant where you just rate your Aspects with your High Concept at +4, two more at +3 and two more at +2?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

bewilderment posted:

What's the purpose of using this instead of using the 'Aspects Are Skills' variant where you just rate your Aspects with your High Concept at +4, two more at +3 and two more at +2?

I didn't write it. Also, I didn't know that variant rule existed.

With an outsider's perspective, flexibility. It was made to be more flexible and fluid. In addition, it likely exists to encourage roleplaying as players will want every single aspect as possible to trigger from their roleplaying. Which, now you made me think about it, is the positive side of the coin of the negative I proposed earlier.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Covok posted:

My main point of issue is that it can exacerbate a problem I ran into with FAE. That problem being that people will always try to get their best approaches to apply.

This isn't really a problem, though.

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003

Lynx Winters posted:

I agree.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Lynx Winters posted:

I guess some of it rolls back to the only FAE campaign I ever played in. Things just got very same-y because people just used their best approach regardless of the situation and the such. It's probably preference, but it was a little boring to me after a while. I mean, I used different approaches, but the other players using the same ones and responding to every situation in the same general way got a little same-y and boring. No real breaks from it. And, to be frank, I usually ended up regretting not using my best approach to a degree, but responding to everything the same way all the time was just getting a little boring.

I don't know. I could be weird, but I like some variety in stuff like that.

Covok posted:

I didn't write it. Also, I didn't know that variant rule existed.

I'm sorry. That came off rude. I was just trying to make it clear I wasn't the writer of this system so I didn't know it's intent. Since people love posting homebrew, I thought there might be some confusion on that.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Covok posted:

...responding to every situation in the same general way got a little same-y and boring. No real breaks from it. And, to be frank, I usually ended up regretting not using my best approach to a degree, but responding to everything the same way all the time was just getting a little boring.

I don't know. I could be weird, but I like some variety in stuff like that...

So, you'd like to respond to things differently, but would rather not use a lower-rated skill lest you regret it... so, everyone just has every skill at max value? Would that remedy your complaints?

The thing that makes FAE and, possibly, this varient you've posted (I haven't tried it) work well, is that everyone is capable of responding to nearly any situation, they just have to do things their way. Think about it: are there very many situations that Han Solo couldn't solve that Luke could? What makes them different characters? They're clearly almost as effective in close combat, while piloting a ship, while wooing the girl... what's different? Simply how they approach a situation. That's it.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Han Solo would be a boring loving character if EVERY solution he did was Clever. But you see him be forceful, quick/sneaky (shooting Greedo), careful (negotiating with Luke and Obi-Wan)...

But in FAE, he's incentivized to always say "oh, I'm going to do this CLEVERLY" then reshape his character so he's always acting logically.

Masters of Umdaar fixes this with variable difficulty depending on approaches and multi-step challenges, but FAE can easily become Baby-Fate for the reasons listed above.

The solution is for the DM to ask what you do and ascribe "oh, that sounds clever", but prelapping every role that way can be tiring.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
My personal fix would be to give each of the Approaches two Actions you can do with it, and the other actions can be bought as stunts: I know it goes against the freeform nature of FAE, but saying "You can only Attack and Overcome Forcefully" or "You can't attack Sneakily without a stunt" doesn't add too much rules weight while still being in time with the spirit of the game.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I don't really understand the impression so many people seem to have about FAE where they seem to think that not only can people always apply their highest Approach to any situation but that this is somehow the way it's supposed to be.

The book very clearly spells out (page 18 if anyone cares) that you can't simply spam your best Approach at every problem...the entire reason you have multiple Approaches at different ratings is that sometimes you're going to find yourself in a situation where you're going to have to try and muddle through with a weaker Approach.

Fortunately, I think that with the right frame of mind it's fairly easy to run FAE in such a way that this doesn't become a problem, it just requires two things. First you have to be willing to reign players in from time to time and just plain say "This isn't a situation that can be solved by X" or at the very least "If you try and solve this situation with Y then its going to cause additional problems". That's not to say you can't allow your players to surprise you with original solutions or clever round-abouts...but you've got to remember that just because someone says "I think carefully..." at the start of their action description doesn't mean they get to throw Careful at every problem.

Second is to remember that sometimes it's important to create "wall" challenges instead of "door" challenges. A "Door" challenge is the sort of challenge that (once resolved) is no longer a challenge and thus all you need to do is point the character with the most suitable high Approach at the problem and let them have at it. A locked door in the way? Have the big guy Forcefully smash it or the expert Carefully pick the lock...now everyone can get through. A "Wall" challenge is something that everyone has to deal with, either by throwing multiple challenges that must be handled simultaneously or simply putting an obstacle in the way that everyone needs to handle before they can advance (such as a wall that must be climbed, a security camera that must be slipped past, etc.). Obviously, these shouldn't be the majority of the game by any means but there's nothing wrong with making sure that everyone needs to get their hands dirty from time to time.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I haven't run fae but it's clearly important in a game like this to put players up against situations that they are actively bad at and see how they improvise.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
FAE is one of those cases, where you just have to make it a bad idea to take the "wrong" approach. If you have to get through a guarded courtyard, I suppose you can do it Sneaky (just ghost through there in the shadows), Careful(find a gap in the guard's patrol routes), or Clever(find a secret entrance) and those all result in you getting through without the guards knowing you were there. Your Quick(Solid Snake the guy by the door) Approach leaves a body for somebody to find, your Flashy and Forceful approaches both likely turn the scene into a totally hosed battle against a whole castle's worth of guards, with like towers and crossbow snipers.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Hey, any preexisting rules on handling Super Saiyan style transformation stuff in fate. I've got some rules written up on it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Covok posted:

Hey, any preexisting rules on handling Super Saiyan style transformation stuff in fate. I've got some rules written up on it, but I'm wondering if anyone else has tried.

I'd make it a megastunt that depends on an aspect along the lines of "Legendary Super Saiyan", and like a Weird Mode for Ki Manipulation. Probably like Absolute Defense against "Lesser Beings" (it's up to you to word that better), and some stuff where you can burn Mental Stress/Consequences in order to perform various feats of ridiculous might.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Atomic robo is probably the best fate flavour for for a gi joe Saturday morning action one shot, yeah?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ShineDog posted:

Atomic robo is probably the best fate flavour for for a gi joe Saturday morning action one shot, yeah?

Absolutely.

Hyperactive
Mar 10, 2004

RICHARDS!

ShineDog posted:

The difference between a latter-day GI Joe and an Action Scientist is a matter of costuming and codename.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Hyperactive posted:

The difference between a latter-day GI Joe and an Action Scientist is a matter of costuming and codename.

The One Shot session of Atomic Robo was literally Robo and some Action Scientists doing a GI Joe knockoff show as a contractual obligation to fund Science.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

ShineDog posted:

I would change out the science brainstorming for a "mission briefing" where they can use their respective specialties to add insight to the mission. Probably kill Science entirely. Write some new modes or at least encourage people to write weird modes to focus on the fact that they're a special ops firefighter or a vietnam vet ninja or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I would change out the science brainstorming for a "mission briefing" where they can use their respective specialties to add insight to the mission. Probably kill Science entirely. Write some new modes or at least encourage people to write weird modes to focus on the fact that they're a special ops firefighter or a vietnam vet ninja or whatever.

A nice simple hack a few people did for an Atomic Robo game that wasn't science-based was to just allow a 0-cost specific application of Science to a Mode that was relevant. In this particular game, a Noble Mode got Heraldry (technically not a science, but it was just Overcome and Advantage). For a GI Joe game, I could imagine someone getting something akin to Survival for being an army ranger Hell, maybe even Architecture for a former firefighter. You knock down enough burning walls, you're sure to use building codes to your advantage.

EDIT: This hack still works if someone wants to be an actual Scientist, they just take the Science:All skill for 1 mode point, since everyone knows that if you're a Real Scientist, you can apply your knowledge in ANY field! :science:

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 12, 2015